Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Cruella - wasn't going to watch this but saw a review that said it was good. I usually skip Disney live action films derived from their cartoons (101 Dalmations, I saw as a kid). It wasn't terrible. I stayed awake through it. Had its moments, with Emma Thompson being the best of them. Another Emma starred. Only three dalmations in the movie. So 3/5 b&w dalmations.

Black Widow - I wasn't expecting much, as Marvel seems to be in a Disney decline, but this one is pretty good. I guess it is the back story of the Avengers character, Black Widow, who usually hangs out in Avengers films looking like Scarlet Johanson. Lots of action and fun. I'll get to see it again, because my wife slept through most of it. 4/5 russian spiders.

Blithe Spirit - A humorous story of a ghost haunting her remarried widower's home, based on a Noel Coward play. Decent. I especially liked Leslie Mann's "spirited" performance. 3/5 noelly ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

Black Widow - I wasn't expecting much, as Marvel seems to be in a Disney decline, but this one is pretty good. I guess it is the back story of the Avengers character, Black Widow, who usually hangs out in Avengers films looking like Scarlet Johanson. Lots of action and fun. I'll get to see it again, because my wife slept through most of it. 4/5 russian spiders.
    I too just saw this. I enjoyed it. Not nearly the action of a typical Marvel film, but the story was good. The gal who played her little sister stole the show for me.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    The gal who played her little sister stole the show for me.
    Florence Pugh was awesome. And did a better job, AFAIK, with a fake Russian accent than did older sister Johansson. The rest of the core cast, completing the happy family, Rachel Weisz and David Harbour, were also very good in their roles.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Shang Chi was a lot of fun and very silly. For a man who'd lived for a thousand years boy was his dad dumb.

I thought it was good for the first two thirds, but the climax with the silly flying creatures was just complete CGI overload.

Ghostbusters Afterlife.

Really enjoyed this. I don't get the consensus of comments online about the first half being uneventful and slow. Never got that at all. It literally starts with a bang.

Besides, these are new characters that need to be established and also a new location.

The kids were not too annoying, though Paul Rudd seemed quite laid back. There is humour, but like the first one it's not laugh out loud comedy.

The effects are very excellent, tge score harks back to the original quite nicely, and the climax is a hoot.

Yes, there are cameos galore. And a couple of end credits sequences too.

Great fun.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I thought it was good for the first two thirds, but the climax with the silly flying creatures was just complete CGI overload.
    My wife had the same reaction.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watched Stillwater (2021), a drama about an oil field worker who travels from Oklahoma to France to try to get his daughter freed from prison there. Quite good, if you don't go in expecting lots of action or a feel-good story.

Forgot to mention a couple things.

Re: Cruella. This movie shows what you can do for a soundtrack with an almost unlimited budget. Unbelievably long list of very decent songs.

Re: Black Widow. The makeup department had the monumental task of making beautiful Ukrainian actress Olga Kurylenko look disfigured and ugly.

The Sparks Brothers HBO Max doc about the Sparks band. I knew of them, but never bought any of their output. I always thought they were a bit to quirky for my taste although I bought 10cc, Cars, Bowie, Iggy, and some others close to that territory. It was interesting to hear about their story, however, and there were short interviews with others within the industry.

Shang Chi was a lot of fun and very silly. For a man who'd lived for a thousand years boy was his dad dumb.
    Really -- when the first <redacted> flew out of the <redacted>, he should have had a clue that he had been, shall we say, misled...especially when his son has just told him so...
    National Flat Earth Society: The only thing we have to fear, is sphere itself.

spellbound ; "Forgot to mention a couple things.

Re: Cruella. This movie shows what you can do for a soundtrack with an almost unlimited budget. Unbelievably long list of very decent songs."

Disney and unlimited budget aren't words that are ususlly found together. They are enormously cheap by reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Sparks Brothers HBO Max doc about the Sparks band. I knew of them, but never bought any of their output. I always thought they were a bit to quirky for my taste although I bought 10cc, Cars, Bowie, Iggy, and some others close to that territory. It was interesting to hear about their story, however, and there were short interviews with others within the industry.
    Very much looking forward to this. Sparks are an inventive and often hilarious band. Been a fan since Kimono My House, which was the first album I heard by them. Saw the trailer for the doc, but don't have HBO. I await the little disc, since our local theaters wouldn't play a documentary (which might require engaging brain), or at least they haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve
    Disney and unlimited budget aren't words that are ususlly found together. They are enormously cheap by reputation.
    I wouldn't know. But I believe you.

Watched Stillwater (2021), a drama about an oil field worker who travels from Oklahoma to France to try to get his daughter freed from prison there. Quite good, if you don't go in expecting lots of action or a feel-good story.
    We saw it in the theater. Thought it was a bit long and could have been trimmed, but enjoyed it for the most part.

Very much looking forward to this. Sparks are an inventive and often hilarious band. Been a fan since Kimono My House, which was the first album I heard by them. Saw the trailer for the doc, but don't have HBO. I await the little disc, since our local theaters wouldn't play a documentary (which might require engaging brain), or at least they haven't yet.

I wouldn't know. But I believe you.
    Correction: I streamed it on Netflix.

Dexter: New Blood--I saw the first episode and enjoyed it. I got a free preview off my Roku, but you can probably find in online as well. I never did get around to watching the last two seasons, but I'd read it didn't end very well.

The Suicide Squad (2021) - entertaining comic-book fare.

Psych 3: This is Gus

I'm a fanboy, but I can say it was at least the funniest of the 3 movies made so far.

review w/ a spoilers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTmBJU86ZTQ

The Night House (2021) - just when I thought there was nothing new in horror, The Night House comes along. It is creepy, mysterious, haunting, and weird. The psychological horror builds and draws you into the story. I thought it was well done. I had read a review that caused me to check this movie out of the library, but by the time I got around to watching it, I had forgotten what I read. And that is the best way to see this one, with no idea what it's about. I won't tell you. Just see it.

I watched The Nightingale last weekend. Brutal, but quite good and beautiful at times.

Anyone else think the trailer for Nightmare Alley looks very intriguing?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yes
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Anyone else think the trailer for Nightmare Alley looks very intriguing?
    Remake of a 40s Tyrone Power movie. Another original.

^ Of the same name?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Of the same name?
    Many years ago, I started a misanthropic club. I'm still the only member.

I watched Jungle Cruise off Disney+. Escapist family-oriented fantasy but well done. It's inspired by the old Disneyland ride and it rides the template of the first Pirates of the Caribbean pretty hard, especially in the action scenes and the fantasy/supernatural element. But it never insulted my intelligence and was a great escape.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart