Page 293 of 397 FirstFirst ... 193243283289290291292293294295296297303343393 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,325 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    "Rob Reiner, Harry Shearer, Michael McKean, and Christopher Guest are all on board for the rock band's next adventure."

Okay, I'm in, since THE Spinal Tap is in.

Fred Ward has died at the age of 79. Man. Now there's a cool actor. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Agree, he was great in Tap and all of he Christopher Guest movies.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agree, he was great in Tap and all of he Christopher Guest movies.
    I think you're thinking of Fred Willard, who died in 2020. Fred Ward was in Tremors and many other films.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I think you're thinking of Fred Willard, who died in 2020. Fred Ward was in Tremors and many other films.
    Yup, got my actors mixed up.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Always a Fred Ward fan. Rest in peace.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Yup, got my actors mixed up.
    So did I. For some reason, I was thinking Herman Munster.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    A movie of his that I just thought of that I always liked was "Timerider". A ridiculous premise, but I found it entertaining.

I could be remembering this wrong, but I believe Guest's father was British so he has duel citizenship.
    Yep. In fact, his father was a baron and, by extension, so is he. As for what that means now, I have no clue, since laws have been passed regarding UK hereditary peerages, none of which I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    So did I. For some reason, I was thinking Herman Munster.

The guys I used to mix up all the time were Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster) and Ed Wynn [Uncle Albert, the guy who sang "I Love to Laugh" in Mary Poppins, and whose son is Keenan Wynn (Colonel Bat Guano in Dr Strangelove)]. My Cousin Vinny kinda fixed that (Fred Gwynne played the judge), but I still have a little difficulty occasionally.

I still occasionally mix up Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds... and sometimes Ryan Phillippe.

Not to mention all those actresses with three names: Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, and Mary Louise Parker.

And then there's Amy Adams and Rachel McAdams and Rachel Weisz and Amy Ryan...
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

A movie of his that I just thought of that I always liked was "Timerider". A ridiculous premise, but I found it entertaining.
    I remember when that was released. Michael Nesmith had a lot to do with that movie.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I remember when that was released. Michael Nesmith had a lot to do with that movie.
    I had forgotten about that, but yes he was. I think he did the music for it as well.

I saw it at the drive-in, bay-bay! Yeah!

^ That's one mean tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Michael Nesmith scored it, co-wrote it, was a silent producer, and had an uncredited cameo. Whew!

Fred Ward and Michael Nesmith also have the same birthdate (12/30/42)!

We saw this one at the theater this evening and enjoyed it. It is basically 2 hours of Nick Cage making fun of himself and his image. It probably plays best if you are familiar with a lot of Cage movies. The film is really different as a dark comedy part action flick that had me chuckling quite a few times. The scenes with Cage and a younger version of himself I found especially funny. Pedro Pascal is also good in the film. At one point the two of them are tripping on acid and have some great funny scenes together. This movie probably is not for everyone, but I found it amusing and well done.

^ That does sound funny. I'm definitely not a Nicholas Cage fan, but if he can laugh at himself, I might modify my view of him.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ That does sound funny. I'm definitely not a Nicholas Cage fan, but if he can laugh at himself, I might modify my view of him.
    He definitely lampoons many of his movies and characters, although I would not really call this movie a spoof.

Tried to watch Prospect last night, a low budget SF movie, but couldn't get thru it. I'm surprised it's rated as highly as it is, and I can appreciate a lot of older Dr. Who episodes.

Switched over to Roku's Pluto channel and they were previewing the first episode of Star Trek's: Strange New Worlds, and enjoyed it. Sure there's quibbles I could make from being a longtime Trekkie fan like the bridge is too lit up, and the bridge area is too big, and what happened to the cool old-colored psychedelic lighting, and the mini skirts? etc. etc. But overall, a pretty decent start and I hope they do well with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Switched over to Roku's Pluto channel and they were previewing the first episode of Star Trek's: Strange New Worlds, and enjoyed it. Sure there's quibbles I could make from being a longtime Trekkie fan like the bridge is too lit up, and the bridge area is too big, and what happened to the cool old-colored psychedelic lighting, and the mini skirts? etc. etc. But overall, a pretty decent start and I hope they do well with it.
    I watched it, too. After hearing nonstop raves, I was ready to be blown away. But it felt like it was trying too hard. The problem was they (meaning Akiva Goldsman) went out of their way to tie it in to current events. I hope the rest of the season's better than that.

And come on..."Lt. Kirk, as you requested?" Fur reelz?

Thanks for posting that. I watched it. It nearly made me cry. There's some bumpy spots near the beginning, but by the middle there was no doubt, and the end proved the point.

After decades...Star Trek is back. I think I may actually have to convince my Beloved Spousal Overunit that we need to sign up for whatever service shows it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

And come on..."Lt. Kirk, as you requested?" Fur reelz?
    Supposedly that's James T's brother, a biologist
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Famed entertainer Ann-Margret gets honorary degree from UNLV

Good for her. I got to see her Vegas show back in the early '70s.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Spousal Overunit

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Spousal Overunit
    Sounds like he married V'ger.

Who's going to be Spinal Tap's new drummer? I'm also curious who's going to be in the movie. Are they going to bring back some people like Fran Drescher from original or just a whole new cast of characters.

I'm also hoping for music and lyrics to The Strange But Incredible Tale Of Icarus P. Anybody, for those who remember the Heavy Metal Memories commercial.

“They haven’t spent any time together recently, and that became the premise. The idea was that Ian Faith, who was their manager, he passed away. In reality, Tony Hendra passed away. Ian’s widow inherited a contract that said Spinal Tap owed them one more concert. She was going to sue them if they didn’t. All these years and a lot of bad blood we’ll get into and they’re thrown back together and forced to deal with each other and play this concert.”

Paul McCartney is still out there playing “Helter Skelter” at 79 years old. What’s stopping Spinal Tap (combined age: 226) from doing the same with “Sex Farm”?
    Last edited by TheLoony; 05-16-2022 at 03:34 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000