Page 245 of 394 FirstFirst ... 145195235241242243244245246247248249255295345 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,125 of 9834

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

It's a party!

Love that scream at the end.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Last night's horror fare: Slave Of The Cannibal God (1978) with Ursula Andress and Stacy Keach. Snakes, jungle, cannibals, rituals, nudity, what's not to like?

I thought that there could never be a movie as bad as Human Centipede 3. I was wrong. Cross...Rise of the Villains, is every bit as bad.
    This piece of celluloid excrement is so bad, it makes the dialogue of Sharknado look like Shakespeare in comparison. Avoid this at all costs!!!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Tomorrow War last night, cheesy fun that doesn't take itself too seriously. Nice way to brainlessly waste a couple of hours.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 07-20-2021 at 06:37 AM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Hobbit -I find this series, too long. There was some interesting parts but it couldn't keep my interest for 3 hours.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Watched Horns last night. Daniel Radcliffe's character's girlfriend is murdered and everyone in town accuses him. He awakens one day with horns growing on his head and finds people confessing their most sinful thoughts and deeds to him, as he tries to find the murderer. I had never heard of this movie, and found it entertaining. Radcliffe must have a good agent, to find him weird movie roles that make people forget to pigeonhole him as Harry Potter forever.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched Horns last night. Daniel Radcliffe's character's girlfriend is murdered and everyone in town accuses him. He awakens one day with horns growing on his head and finds people confessing their most sinful thoughts and deeds to him, as he tries to find the murderer. I had never heard of this movie, and found it entertaining. Radcliffe must have a good agent, to find him weird movie roles that make people forget to pigeonhole him as Harry Potter forever.
    One of many that I have had in my list for ages. Thanks for the reminder. I put it there because it's a story from Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) who I like.

The Retreat

Shudder low budget thriller that takes place in the ADK mountains which are near and dear to my heart and the reason why I gave this a go. The story is not too terrible actually, but the production and acting are pretty weak (the rifle sound ). Two dudes head up to hit a couple high peaks for a bachelor party, trip on some psychadelic tea and then get stalked by creatures . The story did keep my interest for 88 minutes and there was some fairly chilling moments so maybe it might be something for the easily pleased to check out. Pretty lame ending, but wasn't really expecting much there. That's all I got
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Hobbit -I find this series, too long. There was some interesting parts but it couldn't keep my interest for 3 hours.
    That would be because it was based on a children's book about 1/10 the length of The Lord of the RIngs. It was outrageously padded to make three long movies.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It was horrendous
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Double feature last night at casa spellbound. Two above average horror flicks:

Dead End - a family takes a shortcut while driving to grandparents' house for holiday dinner. Lost on a back road in the forest, almost none of the expected horror cliches happen to them, but their adventure is creepy and anything but dull. With Ray Wise.

Blood Hunter Rise - a modern day vampire story, but not a mopey teenage one. Blood and action galore. With Lucy Liu.

Friday night's double feature:

M, Fritz Lang's masterpiece, his first talkie, and Peter Lorre's first starring role. Just bloody amazing.

Dark and Stormy Night, a comedy mystery in the tradition of Clue and Murder By Death, made by the same guy who made The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. Fluffy fun.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

A Classic Horror Story, Netflix, good production, but dumb plot/story, full of horror tropes from other films.

Chaos on the Bridge, a doc on Gene Roddenberry, pretty good if you like him or are into SF. Free on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    A Classic Horror Story, Netflix, good production, but dumb plot/story, full of horror tropes from other films.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a title like A Classic Horror Story, wouldn't you expect a lot of tropes?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a title like A Classic Horror Story, wouldn't you expect a lot of tropes?
    I had no expectations, though yeah, anymore there's not too many fresh approaches to the genre. Which is why I'm not a huge fan of modern horror, or it's just my age.

Army of the Dead Zack Synder's zombie movie. Nothing new, but fairly decent action film though pretty forgettable.

We saw the new M. Night Shyamalan film “Old” today at the theater. This is another one of those Night films that I didn’t love but didn’t hate either. It is another story with a twist that he is known for. It is an interesting story with good acting, but the dialogue is really clunky at times, and some of the film is just plain odd. I would give it a 5 or 6 out of 10.

This guy pretty much sums up what I thought of "Old":

Saw a couple of Netflix originals recently that were quite good.

Gunpowder Milkshake

Suspend your belief and just sit back and enjoy this female assassin action film. If you like John Wick, then you would enjoy this one, as it is pretty much
    the female equivalent. More humor here. A fun time.

Blood Red Sky

Hijackers take over a Transatlantic flight, unaware that there is a mother on board who is quite sick with a mystery illness. This soon becomes fatally obvious, and
    havoc ensues. This is one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time. Peri Baumeister, who kinds reminds of Noomi Rapace, is brilliant in the lead. This film
    is creepy, intense, scary, and violent. An interesting new take on an old trope. Highly recommended!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

A Soldiers Story, 1984, Norman Jewison.

Still a powerful viewing experience, with a brilliant ensemble cast.

Set in the 40s on an army base, where black soldiers are used for menial tasks and not given the opportunity to fight. Tensions run high as a tough black sergeant (a superb Adolphe Caesar) belittles and undermines the black soldiers and treats them with utter contempt.

What's key to the story is the motivation of the sergeant. A conflicted individual who tries to please his white superiors and curry favour with them, yet equally hates the black men in his platoon as he believes they are ignorant and low class, and perpetuate the stereotype of white peoples opinion of black people in those times.

Without giving too much away, basically it's a kind of whodunnit, with Howard Rollins black army lawyer brought in to solve the mystery of who murdered...well, that would be spoiling.

The cast is superb...a young Denzel Washington, David Alan Grier, Wings Hauser, Dennis Lipscombe, Scott Paulin, Art Evans, Robert Townsend.

Its one of those movies where there is not a wasted line of dialogue, and every scene is compelling.

But the standout performance is definitely Adolphe Caesar, a complex and conflicted character that you hate and feel sorry for in equal measure.

And Larry Reilly as CJ Memphis is also incredible, though of those actors that sadly did not do much of note afterwards, save for a few TV shows and TV movie roles.

Went and saw "Black Widow" the other day at the theater. It was just ok. I am not big into the comic book movies so did not know all of her story (although this is an origin story that stands alone). The cast is good, but the plot is kind of all over the place. There are a few laughs here and there, but overall I give it a 5 out of 10.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anyone seen a 2018 movie called "Nightmare Cinema," and if so, is it worth watching? It's one of those horror movies with a framing device to tie together a few short tales, and I'm interested because one is directed by the guy who directed "Juan of the Dead" (a sort of remake of Shawn of the Dead set in Cuba, which was good).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We saw the new M. Night Shyamalan film “Old” today at the theater. This is another one of those Night films that I didn’t love but didn’t hate either. It is another story with a twist that he is known for. It is an interesting story with good acting, but the dialogue is really clunky at times, and some of the film is just plain odd. I would give it a 5 or 6 out of 10.
    Is the "twist" worth seeing it? So far what I've heard about the movie wasn't promising, but I'm intrigued by the trailer. But if the twist isn't...well, good enough, I'm going to feel pretty cheated. I'm wavering between seeing it, or having my son (who saw it) tell me the twist!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    This guy pretty much sums up what I thought of "Old":

Does this contain spoilers?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does this contain spoilers?
    No, this is a non-spoiler video.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Is the "twist" worth seeing it? So far what I've heard about the movie wasn't promising, but I'm intrigued by the trailer. But if the twist isn't...well, good enough, I'm going to feel pretty cheated. I'm wavering between seeing it, or having my son (who saw it) tell me the twist!
    I am not even sure I would call it a twist really, but with any M. Night film it is better going in not knowing the whole story.