Page 163 of 397 FirstFirst ... 63113153159160161162163164165166167173213263 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 9906

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Love this film! Action, suspense,and humor. Only negative is that the accents are so thick that it is hard for an old white Mid Westerner to make everything out.
    We watch everything, but especially stuff from the UK, with subtitles.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Never thought of that.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I remember for a long time, BBC America ran promos that suggested that we'd be encountering accents on their service that would be "more familiar to you if the American Revolution had gone the other way" (or something to the effect, it had something do with the revolution not happening or being unsuccessful) and therefore advised we turn on closed captions when watching their shows.

Closed captions can be interesting, sometimes they'll spit out total gibberish, other times they insert random phrases that have nothing to do with what's being said (one time on Letterman, the words "doctor assisted suicide" cropped up, totally out of context). When people speak foreign languages, sometimes it'll give what was actually said, especially if it's just one or two words or one sentence. Most times, no. Last night, during Cat People, a woman says that apparently translated as "my sister", but closed captions rendered it as "non-English words" or something like that. Oddly, with the Star Trek shows, when anyone speaks Klingon, they give you the full translation of EVERYTHING. Ka-PLAH!

Music is also funny sometimes, too. Sometimes it'll say "music playing". Sometimes it'll be more specific, e.g. "Guitar rock playing" or "Blues music playing". Sometimes it'll identify exactly what you're hearing, whether it's Deep Purple, some idiot "alternative" band, or a Beethoven sonata.

I used to engage the closed captions on VH-1 Classic, that was fun sometimes. I remember watching The Song Remains The Same with the closed captions. All sorts of stuff appeard on the screen during the improv section of Dazed & Confused..."eerie guitar solo" during the violin bow solo, transcriptions of Plant's scat singing during the guitar/vocal tradeoffs, "vocal imitates guitar", an acknowledgement of the Holst Mars bit, finaly after like 15 or whatever minutes of them, "music returns to Dazed & Confused". Unfortunately, MTV Classic seems to have done away with the CC's.

CCs for live shows or shows recorded live (i.e. late night talk shows) are crap. CCs for prerecorded shows and movies are generally very good. I assume because either they're proofread or the script was made available.

You're right about CCs for music. I've noticed many times all you see are music notes. It seems most of the time you see descriptions of the music. And other times, you'll see the actual lyrics.

But that reminds me: many times I've seen descriptions of noises, too, in addition to music. It always makes me wonder how a deaf person knows what something sounds like.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

We saw “Joker” yesterday. I thought it was an excellent film and Pheonix deserves an Oscar nomination. He was truly amazing. As for what was fantasy and what was reality in the film, it could certainly be interpreted different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

But that reminds me: many times I've seen descriptions of noises, too, in addition to music. It always makes me wonder how a deaf person knows what something sounds like.
    It probably depends on the person, and the severity of the deafness, and the particular sound you're talking about. I don't imagine a lot of people who were born deaf know what birdsong, door squeaks, footsteps, etc. sound like.

You actually remind me of an old Sesame Street, when they had the deaf character, Linda. Big bird gives her a stereo system for her birthday, not realizing she's deaf, but then she turns on it, music starts playing, and she puts her hands on the speaker cabinet, and starts grooving to the rhythm. Deaf people can feel rhythm, like they can feel the speakers vibrating to music. I don't know if that translates to things like thunder or other loud sounds, but I'm sure a lot of deaf people have a concept of what something like Le Sacre Du Printemps, Smoke Of The Water, or Whip It Up sounds like.

Also, I've read there's a phenomenon, I forget what it's actually called, but it has something to do with using the facial muscles and bones to transfer the sound waves. I don't know exactly how it works, and it might not work for everyone, but I understand that, say if you pressed your forehead against a deaf person's head, and speak, they can hear you. So maybe the same might happen with music or other sounds, like you've got Pandora radio playing on your cellphone, and you hold it up to their face maybe they'll hear something besides the rhythm on Boogie Nights.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Closed captions can be interesting, sometimes they'll spit out total gibberish, other times they insert random phrases that have nothing to do with what's being said
    Feels familiar somehow... can't place it...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Three selections from the weekend.

The Witch

Had heard a lot of praise for this movie and it's writer/director Robert Eggers. And for the most part the praise was well deserved. I need to watch it again, as I am sure I missed a bunch of stuff. Overall, a very well done period piece that goes to some very strange places.

In The Tall Grass

This is a Netflix movie based on a Novella by Stephen King and his son Joe Hill. Very enjoyable and well done movie, that has some interesting twists and turns. I'd recommend it to any horror movie fan. The time shifts really mess with your head in this movie.

Midsommar

I really don't know what to say about this movie. Not because I didn't like it, but it pretty much left me speechless. Ari Aster hits another home run with this follow up to the mind blowing Hereditary. I chose to watch the director's cut, which from what I understand doesn't really add much to the movie. I need to watch this again as well to try to catch what I missed on the first go round. Highly recommended, especially if you enjoyed Hereditary.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

It probably depends on the person, and the severity of the deafness...
    Well, you're right. Some people are deaf because of damage to the eardrum or some other part of the inner ear. Others have nerve deafness. There are numerous causes to deafness.

As to the other thing you're talking about, sound is transmitted through bone. In fact, sound travels through water and solids more effectively than through air. It's why you're not supposed to tap on an aquarium; it can be painful to fish. Have you ever been in water and had your ears underwater and heard or made a noise? Try it sometime, like while taking a bath, and then hum.

Anyway, for some people who are deaf, they can get cochlear implants which convert sound to electrical impulses which are transmitted directly to the auditory nerve.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    As to the other thing you're talking about, sound is transmitted through bone. In fact, sound travels through water and solids more effectively than through air. It's why you're not supposed to tap on an aquarium; it can be painful to fish. Have you ever been in water and had your ears underwater and heard or made a noise? Try it sometime, like while taking a bath, and then hum.
    Yeah, I'm a scuba diver, or a former one, anyway. I know what you mean. I read once that because sound travels through water better than air, the time delay between the sound reaching each of the two ears is eliminated, thus making it difficult to differentiate where a given sound is coming from.
    Anyway, for some people who are deaf, they can get cochlear implants which convert sound to electrical impulses which are transmitted directly to the auditory nerve.
    Yeah, I've heard about that. I wonder how that actual works. I mean, how accurately does it translate the sound waves.

I'm not sure whether sound travels "better" in water than in air, but it definitely travels faster. Mach 1 in pure water is about 1450 meters per second; in sea water it's about 1500 mps, while in air it's only about 350 mps.

Don't get me started about the Doppler effect.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I'm not sure whether sound travels "better" in water than in air, but it definitely travels faster. .
    Well, that's what I meant. Sound travels faster u/w, and as such, the differential between a sound reaching your left ear vs. the right ear is eliminated. As such, it's difficult to tell where sounds are coming from u/w.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    But was it analog or digital sound traveling underwater? Was it warmer?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    But was it analog or digital sound traveling underwater? Was it warmer?

Only in the places where the Hi Fi Geeks have peeed in it.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I've been watching tv with CC for nearly thirty years. I find that reading the dialogue helps me remember but also there are many things that don't actually make it on screen that CC will help with. Plus it helps with scenes with multiple people talking rapidly.

Mr. Robot the other night had Beethoven's 9th and IIRC Bach. While I would have recognized the Beethoven I'm not all that well versed on Bach so it was a nice touch, especially in an episode where there was almost no dialogue. At least there was something to read.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Yeah, I'm a scuba diver, or a former one, anyway. I know what you mean. I read once that because sound travels through water better than air, the time delay between the sound reaching each of the two ears is eliminated, thus making it difficult to differentiate where a given sound is coming from.
    When I was in the military, sonar techs told me that whales can communicate across 1000s of miles. And then I saw a nature show about orcas "talking" to one another as they closed in on a gray whale and her calf in Monterey Bay. FWIR, the orcas were 20 or 30 miles away (maybe more) from the whales and were also spread out. They talked to one another to coordinate their attack as they moved in. Once they got close to the whales they tried to separate the mother & calf so they could eat the calf. It was a fascinating show.

The Impossible--disaster movie with Ewan McGregor & Naomi Watts--family stuck in a tsunami. Fairly emotional piece and well done effects.

A Time To Kill--John Grisham novel adapted to screen about a young black girl that is attacked by two rednecks and the repercussions on her family and the town. It struck me as somewhat dated maybe due to the direction, but still an entertaining film.

Alpha--film about a young adult in the Ice Age learning the ropes to manhood. It's cheesy somewhat, sort of a fantasy or comic book-y, somewhat predictable, however, I still enjoyed it.

Watched Mothra the other day. I'm not sure I'd ever seen it before. Interesting picture, in that, though they showed the subtitled version, which is of course mostly in Japanese, there's the occasional use of English at various points in the film. That seemed a bit odd to me, but whatever. Good kaiju picture. I think Godzilla Vs. Mothra will be up next.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Darkest Hour (2017) - Stellar.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Darkest Hour (2017) - Stellar.
    Oh yes, excellent film! One of Oldman's best ever performances, and that's really saying something considering his impressive and varied body of work. Plus, I'm basically in love with Lily James.

The wife and I watched two Woody Allen films over the weekend: Cafe Society and You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger. Both were highly enjoyable character studies, both had very strong casts, and both had Allen's usual impeccable timing. The guy doesn't waste a moment, the pace of his storytelling is perfect. Really enjoyed them!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

[QUOTE=Progatron;938786] Plus, I'm basically in love with Lily James.

Welcome to the club.

Have you checked out War and Peace with her in it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_%2...016_TV_series)

DtB
    Last edited by Dave the Brave; 11-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Have you checked out War and Peace with her in it?
    Yes, we enjoyed that series! Very well done.