Page 159 of 397 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169209259 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 9906

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's funny, someone at work today told me it was terrible! (shrug)
    Wouldn't mind betting they went in expecting a typical superhero movie, and spent the time wondering where Batman was...

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Taking in all these horror recs!

In the meantime, has anyone caught the Netflix "Breaking Bad Movie" El Camino? I thought it was excellent and a worthy addition to the BB canon.

8.5 out of 10 fat stacks, yo.
    Last edited by Paulie; 10-14-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    In the meantime, has anyone caught the Netflix "Breaking Bad Movie" El Camino? I thought it was excellent and a worthy addition to the BB canon.
    Just watched it last night! I quite liked it, pretty tense and gripping at times. The tone was much like BB overall. It was basically like watching two more episodes of the series.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Starry Eyes

I've had this on my list for a while now and finally got to it last night on Prime. Not too bad! Definitely a patience tester, but mostly worth the wait for a pretty intense and dark last third. A struggling actress will do anything to make it in Hollywood is the basic story here. I thought the ending was slightly unsatisfying, but the last third for me was definitely worth the watch. This one is for fans of slow burn, well written, 'Rosemary's Baby'-esque, type of horror.

6 out of 10 blue barbells
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I love this!
    Right?? Perfect Halloween flick with a great blend of humor and scares. You may like Tales of Halloween too. Similar vibe with 10 tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Right?? Perfect Halloween flick with a great blend of humor and scares. You may like Tales of Halloween too. Similar vibe with 10 tales.
    I'll have to check it out. I have a copy of Starry Eyes, but haven't gotten around to it. I will before Halloween.

Watched some old school horror over the weekend. Candyman from 1992. Same principle as Bloody Mary. Still not bad.
    Black Christmas from 1972.Margot Kidder is pretty good in this. Never saw it before. Enjoyed it immensely. Blows away the 2006 remake!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Watched Pan's Labyrinth tonight. I'd rate it 10/10. Perfect filmaking with the ideal blend of fantasy and reality.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Watched Pan's Labyrinth tonight. I'd rate it 10/10. Perfect filmaking with the ideal blend of fantasy and reality.
    Great, great movie. Heart-wrenching too.

I'll have to check it out. I have a copy of Starry Eyes, but haven't gotten around to it. I will before Halloween.

Watched some old school horror over the weekend. Candyman from 1992. Same principle as Bloody Mary. Still not bad.
    Black Christmas from 1972.Margot Kidder is pretty good in this. Never saw it before. Enjoyed it immensely. Blows away the 2006 remake!
    Great Philip Glass soundtrack to Candyman also!

I re watched Black Christmas last week and its a pretty good slasher flick, considering it predates Halloween by four years.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Loved this one and I need to revisit. That dinner table scene is incredible! Guillermo Del Toro did a ghost story a while back called Devil's Backbone that is excellent and I highly recommend to anyone who likes that type of movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Loved this one and I need to revisit.
    Same here. Pan's Labyrinth is a tough watch at times, but an incredible piece of storytelling. One of those movies that really sticks with you afterward.

Man Candyman was dreary! Classic though Black Christmas was awesome. I didn't even bother watching the remake. Billy's phone calls gave me chills and that scene with the eye glaring out the cracked door? Yikes!!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Great Philip Glass soundtrack to Candyman also!
    I was going to mention that as well, but forgot. Old age!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Terminator: Dark Fate

Looks to be cool. Didn't know this was even a thing until now but it looks like a joyful romp.

It's time travel, I'm in but I'm shallow.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Same here. Pan's Labyrinth is a tough watch at times, but an incredible piece of storytelling. One of those movies that really sticks with you afterward.
    I missed this movie when it came out... I'll check it out on your rec
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Highly recommend PL. Great flick.

I didn't think about it last night but here's a trailer for the new Terminator flick.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I don't know if it's really a movie I would "recommend", per se, because it's brutal and disturbing at times. The real life horrors of war and the cruelty that comes with it... The fantastical elements are not where the frightening stuff comes from. I would say that I appreciated the movie and what Del Toro did with the story, but it wasn't exactly an enjoyable film. The history of the Spanish Civil War and the Franco regime doesn't get a lot of attention over here.

This movie also has one of the most despicable antagonists that has ever been put to film, IMO. I heard that the actor who played him is normally in comedic roles, so this was a bit of a change.

Edit: It has been over 10 years since I saw it too, so my recollection may not be entirely accurate.
    Last edited by aith01; 10-15-2019 at 03:47 PM.

Watched The Fog tonight, on TCM. Of course, this was the original version, directed by John Carpenter, and starring Adrienne Barbeau (at the time, Mrs. Carpenter), Jamie Lee Curtis, Janet Leigh, Hal Holbrook, and Tom Atkins. Good atmospheric horror flick, as you'd expect from Mr. Carpenter.

I love that he got Janet Leight in on the action, of course you remember a certain famous shower scene she had done about 17 years before The Fog, and of course, you've got her daughter there too. I'm not sure if we can call that "stunt casting", but it seems like a bit of a coup to me. Also, in one single, at the beginning of the movie, you've got John Housman.

BTW, check out the character names in the closing credits. One character is named Dan O'Bannon (who worked with Carpenter on his first feature, Dark Star, and later wrote an obscure little picture called Alien), and the coroner's name is Doctor Phibes! There's also an allusion to an Arkham Reef (Arkham is a fictitious town that figures prominently in the work of HP Lovecraft).

The thing that gets me is hearing Ben Mankiewicz talk about how John Carpenter "ramped up the gore", but like with Halloween, this doesn't really strike me as being gory. I mean, the victims meet grisly ends, sure, but everything is shot in such a way you don't really see any blood or anything graphic. I dunno, maybe these two movies were gory in 1978-1980, but a lot of movies very quickly came (including Halloween II, I might add) that really made them seem pretty sedate in comparison. I mean, in Halloween, PJ Soles is even strangled to death (albeit we do get to see her thrash about and gasp for air as she expires). (shrug)

^ Most guys I knew in junior high & high school had the hots for Adrienne Barbeau. But after Halloween was released, it was PJ Soles. She was sooo freakin' cute. And the fact that she showed off her boobs didn't hurt, either.

But, yeah, I don't see what Ben Mankiewicz is talking about. I didn't think The Fog was gory at all.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    ^ Most guys I knew in junior high & high school had the hots for Adrienne Barbeau. But after Halloween was released, it was PJ Soles. She was sooo freakin' cute. And the fact that she showed off her boobs didn't hurt, either.
    I kinda had a thing for PJ Soles for awhile, but it was more off of Rock N Roll High School and Stripes, than her appearance in Halloween.

But, yeah, I don't see what Ben Mankiewicz is talking about. I didn't think The Fog was gory at all.
    According to Ben, Carpenter was unhappy with the rough cut of the film he had put together, so he filmed a bunch of new stuff (including that prologue with John Housman), as well as "ramping up the violence and gore". As you point out, it's not gory at all. As I said, I think it's strange that Halloween is considered the first slasher film, since it really doesn't share much with most of the films of that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I kinda had a thing for PJ Soles for awhile, but it was more off of Rock N Roll High School and Stripes, than her appearance in Halloween.
    Yeah, but how old were you in '78?

As I said, I think it's strange that Halloween is considered the first slasher film, since it really doesn't share much with most of the films of that genre.
    What? It more or less created the template for many of those that followed (we all thought Friday the 13th was a direct rip-off), not to mention it was a huge box office success. And as we all know, success in Hollywood breeds imitation and/or loose pocket strings. No Halloween, no Ft13th, and no Nightmare on Elm Street.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Yeah, but how old were you in '78?
    Well, this was much later, in the 80's.

What? It more or less created the template for many of those that followed
    Well yeah, the "promiscuous teenagers being slaughtered by a deranged killer" and trope originates from Halloween, but that's kinda where the resemblance ends. Most of the slasher pictures I remember were waaaaaay more graphic and a lot of them, the writing wasn't very good, nor was the directing or acting. It was like everyone spent all the money that was normally used to hire competent writers, directors, and actors on hiring Tom Savini (or one of his disciples).
    And as we all know, success in Hollywood breeds imitation and/or loose pocket strings. No Halloween, no Ft13th, and no Nightmare on Elm Street.
    But is that something you really want to brag about?

Last night I watched the (nearly three-hour) director's cut of Midsommar. I loved it! Unique and compelling stuff, very unlike any other modern horror film. No clichés, no cheap jump scares, no cartoonish villains. Beautifully filmed and acted... I can't stop thinking about it, and I will definitely be watching it again before horror 'season' finishes!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Gemini Man - Will Smith - Ang Lee - The special effects were highly impressive but the movie was mediocre.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Gemini Man - Will Smith - Ang Lee - The special effects were highly impressive but the movie was mediocre.
    Sounds kinda like the "horror" flick I watched the other day. I figured it's that time of year so I just randomly picked one that was on, Thirteen Ghosts, and was massively disappointed. Great set direction for sure but the movie was boring and had nothing that even remotely frightened me.

My sister said she dug it. Go figure.

Just came across a new one coming out, Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. Looks to be a hoot as Jay is now a father. Yeah, nothing could go wrong with that.