Page 141 of 397 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151191241 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,525 of 9904

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

According to Peter Ackroyd's book on Hitchcock the initial title was In A Northwesterly Direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I thought I knew but after looking it up, there are various answers. Hitch doesn't really explain it. I guess it was a working title but what I read nearly 40 years ago was that the characters traveled north by Northwest Airlines. And, in fact, Northwest does appear in the movie.
    Well, I never would have guessed any of this or what Interbellum says in the next post.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Cleveland Cinematheque is showing the original Star Wars trilogy, one movie a weekend. The problem is, it started this past weekend, and I didn't know about it until today! Oy! So, the question, do I go see The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge Of The Jedi, even though I missed Star Wars itself (where I'm from, the first movie is called simply Star Wars, not Star Wars Episode Four: A New Hope or whatever the dren it's called now...btw, the "Episode four" nonsense wasn't in the originally released print of the film...it wasn't added until after it played in theaters the second time, after it hijacked the entire planet).

I'm leaning towards go ahead since one doesn't get many opportunities to see these movies theatrically anymore, and it's been like more than 25 years since I've seen any of them all the way through, even TV.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Cleveland Cinematheque is showing the original Star Wars trilogy, one movie a weekend. The problem is, it started this past weekend, and I didn't know about it until today! Oy! So, the question, do I go see The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge Of The Jedi, even though I missed Star Wars itself (where I'm from, the first movie is called simply Star Wars, not Star Wars Episode Four: A New Hope or whatever the dren it's called now...btw, the "Episode four" nonsense wasn't in the originally released print of the film...it wasn't added until after it played in theaters the second time, after it hijacked the entire planet).

I'm leaning towards go ahead since one doesn't get many opportunities to see these movies theatrically anymore, and it's been like more than 25 years since I've seen any of them all the way through, even TV.
    when they show the 1977 film, do they show the original print or the doctored 90s version?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    when they show the 1977 film, do they show the original print or the doctored 90s version?
    Lucas recently granted rights for the original '77 flick to be shown as a double-feature with Rogue One at a few special screenings. Although it had the New Hope crawl, reports were off the chart with how great of a print it was. Of course, if you have downloaded the Despecialized editions of the original trilogy, you should be fine on a 4K with surround.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I have no idea, the program guide doesn't say which version they're showing.

Lucas recently granted rights for the original '77 flick to be shown as a double-feature with Rogue One at a few special screenings
    No 21st century pictures, here, though, just the original trilogy.

Oh, and they're also showing the original Mad Max trilogy next month, too. The program guide says Mad Max itself is the original, uncut, Australian language version. When Mad Max was first released Stateside, the US distributor had taken upon themselves to dub over nearly all the dialog, not just replacing the Australian accents with American ones, but also replacing Aussie colloquialisms with American ones (e.g. "Hey!" instead of "Oy!", etc).

While flipping through the channels (our rural cable went under a huge upgrade, doubling their high definition channels) I found this channel called HDNETMV - movies in high def with no commercials. Lots of crap (right now it's Harry and the Hendersons) but late tonight they are running cult classic Repo Man.

Anyway, the other day they ran Lone Star, a truly great John Sayles movie. A sheriff in a rural border county in Texas lives in the shadow of his legendary father. A skeleton is discovered on an old Army rifle range, with a slug from a pistol and a county sheriff's badge. It's possible it was his father's predecessor, a truly monstrous sonovabitch who vanished overnight with $10K. The sheriff investigates on both sides of the border, trying to get to the bottom of this mystery. There's a lot of characters with compelling side stories and Sayles does a great job of twisting it all together, along with flashbacks with the sheriff's father and other key characters. The film plays out like a great mystery novel. Highly recommended.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    While flipping through the channels (our rural cable went under a huge upgrade, doubling their high definition channels) I found this channel called HDNETMV - movies in high def with no commercials. Lots of crap (right now it's Harry and the Hendersons) but late tonight they are running cult classic Repo Man.

Anyway, the other day they ran Lone Star, a truly great John Sayles movie. A sheriff in a rural border county in Texas lives in the shadow of his legendary father. A skeleton is discovered on an old Army rifle range, with a slug from a pistol and a county sheriff's badge. It's possible it was his father's predecessor, a truly monstrous sonovabitch who vanished overnight with $10K. The sheriff investigates on both sides of the border, trying to get to the bottom of this mystery. There's a lot of characters with compelling side stories and Sayles does a great job of twisting it all together, along with flashbacks with the sheriff's father and other key characters. The film plays out like a great mystery novel. Highly recommended.
    Reading about Lone Star put me.in mind of Flashpoint, a 1984 thriller starring Treat William's and Kris Krostofferson as two Texas border guards who discover a jeep buried in the desert, with a skeleton, a case of money (80, 000), and an old bolt action rifle. When they find out that the car had Dallas plates and it dates back to 1962, things start to get very interesting...

It's a cracking little thriller, with a decent Tangerine Dream score, an early role for Kurtwood Smith as a CIA man, and a good sense of tension as the authorities start to close in on the two lawmen.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I've seen Lone Star. Good movie. I want to see Repo Man, but have never had the opportunity. A Michael Nesmith production.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I've seen Lone Star. Good movie. I want to see Repo Man, but have never had the opportunity. A Michael Nesmith production.
    One of my favorite "cult" 80's classics. Haven't seen it in a long time, though. Reminds me, also, of Liquid Sky, another wacky cult classic from around that time.....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Reading about Lone Star put me.in mind of Flashpoint, a 1984 thriller starring Treat William's and Kris Krostofferson as two Texas border guards who discover a jeep buried in the desert, with a skeleton, a case of money (80, 000), and an old bolt action rifle. When they find out that the car had Dallas plates and it dates back to 1962, things start to get very interesting...

It's a cracking little thriller, with a decent Tangerine Dream score, an early role for Kurtwood Smith as a CIA man, and a good sense of tension as the authorities start to close in on the two lawmen.
    I was growing up in Tucson at the time, where they filmed parts of the movie. I always liked going down 1st and seeing the pawn shop they went to to check out some of the bills.
    It's completely different now, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I want to see Repo Man, but have never had the opportunity. A Michael Nesmith production.
    Seriously?! You've never seen Repo Man?! The frell kind of movie geek are you?!

All seriousness aside, Repo Man is a great movie, full of quotable dialog.

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you are"

"John Wayne was a fag"

"C'mon, let's go do some crimes!"

Harry Dean Stanton: Who gets the 40%?
    Emilio Estevez: Well, I'm the one who found the car, so, ya know...(Stanton cocks pistol) I figured I'd get it!
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-13-2019 at 12:22 AM.

Mary Jane's Not A Virgin Anymore: a so-so mid 90's "punk rock" picture about move theater employees somewhere in Minnesota (Wiki says the movie takes place in "The twin cities"). The movie starts with the title character losing her virginity to a guy named Steve, in a cemetery, then sort of goes through her relationship with another guy named Tom, and her relationships with her co-workers at the theater. Musical score consists of songs by various punk and "riot grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl" bands, such as Mudhoney, Babes In Toyland, etc.

Literally the best part of the movie is the rant, delivered by none other than my fellow Magma fan/NEARfest attendee fan Jello Biafra, over the closing credits. He totally skewers right wingers, first commenting that he "has a problem with" film nudity, then saying that violence is ok because "it builds character", then he starts going on about how great the movie Red Dawn is, and even suggests he'd like to see the death penalty brought back for witchcraft and homosexuality.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 07-13-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Seriously?! You've never seen Repo Man?!
    So have you seen Godfather II yet?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    So have you seen Godfather II yet?
    Why would I watch a movie I know I'm not going to like?

Well, you're all about the movie fandom, one would think you'd want to watch one of the most celebrated films in history, with one of the greatest casts. And director. And story. And famous scenes/lines (granted, they might be of a different nature than "John Wayne was a fag", but still, Coppola and Puzo tried). A breathtaking and sweeping character drama with some of the best performances of De Niro, Duvall and Pacino's careers - and the heartbreaking performance by John Cazale. There are so many incredible scenes in this film, I wouldn't even know which to choose if I were to show a group of film students. Brilliant, exemplary filmmaking. It remains at or near the top of the pile, 45 years after its release, leaping to mind immediately at the mere mention of "Best films of all time". Something to truly marvel at, even after countless viewings.

These are all things that have been said thousands of times by more knowledgeable and eloquent people than I - and yet, this all adds up to you as something you know you won't like, and won't even watch. The mind boggles.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^The Godfather(s) are top o' the heap for sure!

I watched In The Heat of the Night (1967) for the first time lst night.

How could I have bypassed such a classic!

Everyone shines in this, especially Rod Steiger who won the Academy award that year.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I watched In The Heat of the Night (1967) for the first time lst night.
    Huge classic! Better late than never!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I love that movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah, it really exceeded my expectations.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, you're all about the movie fandom, one would think you'd want to watch one of the most celebrated films in history, with one of the greatest casts. And director. And story. And famous scenes/lines (granted, they might be of a different nature than "John Wayne was a fag", but still, Coppola and Puzo tried). A breathtaking and sweeping character drama with some of the best performances of De Niro, Duvall and Pacino's careers - and the heartbreaking performance by John Cazale. There are so many incredible scenes in this film, I wouldn't even know which to choose if I were to show a group of film students. Brilliant, exemplary filmmaking. It remains at or near the top of the pile, 45 years after its release, leaping to mind immediately at the mere mention of "Best films of all time". Something to truly marvel at, even after countless viewings.

These are all things that have been said thousands of times by more knowledgeable and eloquent people than I - and yet, this all adds up to you as something you know you won't like, and won't even watch. The mind boggles.
    Well said. Especially , paraphrasing, "even though it doesn't have the line , John Wayne was a fag, still Coppola and Puzo tried. The mind does indeed boggle. Statements such as those indicate a close mindedness that negates an individual's value , to me , as a source of leads to movies I might want to watch. Which is my primary purpose in visiting this thread. Which is one of the reasons I tend to skip entirely , reading posts from certain sources.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Which is my primary purpose in visiting this thread. Which is one of the reasons I tend to skip entirely , reading posts from certain sources.
    Oh, absolutely! I get my mouse's scroll wheel good and greased up before coming to this thread. Granted, it's a very vague and broad topic when it's just called "Movies", so obviously for some people that will mean the kind of movies I have little to no interest in, and vice-versa, they don't care about something I recommend to the forum, because it won't have cars exploding or super heroes or farts - it will just have good acting and a good story. I do my best not to judge what other people turn to for entertainment, nothing wrong with liking mindless popcorn fare - but it's hard not to scratch my head at what they won't watch. We're mostly film buffs here, how do you refuse to watch Godfather II?

while I would qualify the Godfather movies as violent, they certainly do not approach the level of violence seen in about half the movies today... if it is the violence that you are wanting to avoid. The Godfather movies are well done to be sure.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

This Godfather tangent has got me wanting to watch The Freshman again.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    This Godfather tangent has got me wanting to watch The Freshman again.
    LOL! Not one of Brando's better choices. Better than Island Of Dr. Moreau, perhaps.