Page 59 of 394 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 9837

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    While sitting in the audience I struck up a conversation with the guy next to me. He is a teacher at Cal Arts who used to be a stop-motion animator. He met Ray Harryhausen. He told me he used to work with Sneaky Pete Kleinow (steel player for the Flying Burrito Brothers) who did stop-motion for Gumby, Davy and Goliath, Star Wars, commercials, Gremlins, etc. As I big Burrito fan, I was in heaven listening to this guy talking about Pete.
    For some reason, a few months ago, I was watching a Davy And Goliath cartoon on whichever TV channel (probably one of the Christian ones) and spotted Kleinow's name in the closing credits. I remembered reading in his obituary in Guitar Player that he had worked in animation before becoming a Burrito Brother and a first call session player (that's him playing on It Just Might Be A One Shot Deal on Frank Zappa's Waka/Jawaka album), but I didn't know he had worked on Gumby or D&G.

Son Of Frankenstein: Herr Victor's now grown son moves into Castle Frankenstein, and discovers that not only is the monster still alive but Bela Lugosi is using it to murder the members of the jury who found him guilty of grave robbing (which led to Lugosi's character being hanged, which he somehow survived). So naturally, the son gets involved, and well, you can imagine what happens. I didn't like this one as much as either of James Whale's earlier Frankenstein pictures. The movie is still very atmospheric, love the interiors of Castle Frankenstein, but overall, I thought the picture was wanting. I found the introduction of the grandson, who sounds like an Our Gang escapee when he talks, to be particularly grating. But Lugosi and Karloff were great, though I found it curious that the monster reverts to merely grunting in this film (in Bride Of Frankenstein, he spoke actual words..."Smoke good! Drink good!", no doubt the inspiration for the James Hetfield characterization in the Napster Bad cartoon).

Curse Of Frankenstein: Apparently, the first of the Hammer horror flicks, and the picture that changed the trajectory of the studio's output and reputation (or so the host introduction that preceded the film tells us). Maybe it's just because I'm something of a contrarian, I guess, but I tend to prefer most of the Hammer versions over their Universal counterparts (or indeed, most subsequent adaptations), and this is no exception.

I like Peter Cushing portrayal as the warped Baron, and Christopher Lee is great as the monster. The only thing I didn't get (Yes, I know, I wasn't put on this Earth to "get it") was what happened to the old blind man's grandson, or indeed the old man's body. The boy apparently hears his grandfather's scream as the monster kills him, then he goes off to investigate, but then we never see either again. Usually, there would be at least dialog indicating their bodies were found, or something about the boy wandering into town, hysterical about finding his grandfather's corpse, but nothing here. But other than that, a great picture.

I also watched a documentary that was more about Mary Shelley's actual novel (which is very different from most of the film adaptations over the course of the last 90 or whatever it's been years), that aired on TCM. It's called The Strange Life Of Frankenstein, and was produced to commemorate the bicentennial of the original book's publishing.

And speaking of Frankenstein, one thing I'd like to see someday is the very first Frankenstein movie. It was made in, I believe, 1910, and was for decades thought lost, but i believe I read once that sometime int he 80's or 90's, an single print was found somewhere. Assuming it was viewable and restoreable, I'd like to see how that compares to the novel, and also how it contrasts against the subsequent and obviously more famous versions.

Just watched White Zombie - way better than I thought it would be.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Son Of Frankenstein: Herr Victor's now grown son moves into Castle Frankenstein, and discovers that not only is the monster still alive but Bela Lugosi is using it to murder the members of the jury who found him guilty of grave robbing (which led to Lugosi's character being hanged, which he somehow survived). So naturally, the son gets involved, and well, you can imagine what happens. I didn't like this one as much as either of James Whale's earlier Frankenstein pictures. The movie is still very atmospheric, love the interiors of Castle Frankenstein, but overall, I thought the picture was wanting. I found the introduction of the grandson, who sounds like an Our Gang escapee when he talks, to be particularly grating. But Lugosi and Karloff were great, though I found it curious that the monster reverts to merely grunting in this film (in Bride Of Frankenstein, he spoke actual words..."Smoke good! Drink good!", no doubt the inspiration for the James Hetfield characterization in the Napster Bad cartoon).

Curse Of Frankenstein: Apparently, the first of the Hammer horror flicks, and the picture that changed the trajectory of the studio's output and reputation (or so the host introduction that preceded the film tells us). Maybe it's just because I'm something of a contrarian, I guess, but I tend to prefer most of the Hammer versions over their Universal counterparts (or indeed, most subsequent adaptations), and this is no exception.

I like Peter Cushing portrayal as the warped Baron, and Christopher Lee is great as the monster. The only thing I didn't get (Yes, I know, I wasn't put on this Earth to "get it") was what happened to the old blind man's grandson, or indeed the old man's body. The boy apparently hears his grandfather's scream as the monster kills him, then he goes off to investigate, but then we never see either again. Usually, there would be at least dialog indicating their bodies were found, or something about the boy wandering into town, hysterical about finding his grandfather's corpse, but nothing here. But other than that, a great picture.

I also watched a documentary that was more about Mary Shelley's actual novel (which is very different from most of the film adaptations over the course of the last 90 or whatever it's been years), that aired on TCM. It's called The Strange Life Of Frankenstein, and was produced to commemorate the bicentennial of the original book's publishing.

And speaking of Frankenstein, one thing I'd like to see someday is the very first Frankenstein movie. It was made in, I believe, 1910, and was for decades thought lost, but i believe I read once that sometime int he 80's or 90's, an single print was found somewhere. Assuming it was viewable and restoreable, I'd like to see how that compares to the novel, and also how it contrasts against the subsequent and obviously more famous versions.
    You and me Brother. The Hammer Frankenstein films are great. Everything you said...Ditto for me.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Bad Times At the El Royale - Jeff Bridges - really awesome flick Totally enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, I taped that and a couple of the other Lugosi pictures that were on TCM last night, so that'll be tonight's schedule, since I'm most likely not going to see the Argento pictures at the Cinemateque (they're showing them again tomorrow night, so maybe I'll go then.

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed: 1969 entry in the Hammer series. I think one of the things I like about the Hammer pictures, at least the ones I've seen, is that they're almost more about the Baron himself than the monster. And in the Universal pictures, the Baron comes off as being merely massively misguided, limiting his real "evil" to grave robbing, whereas in the Hammer pictures, he resorts to out and out murder to get the body parts for his experiments.

This is one is also different because he doesn't so much create a monster, as simply transplant one man's brain into the body of another, and the victim remains otherwise reasonably ordinary, being fully verbal, etc and without the grotesque makeup that one associates with "Frankenstein's monster". So that's an interesting twist. Good picture, overall. Nice way to spend one hour, forty minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I stopped watching this after about 10 minutes, mostly because I was falling asleep. Glad to hear it's good. Will see if it's on demand and will try again.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I also watched a documentary that was more about Mary Shelley's actual novel (which is very different from most of the film adaptations over the course of the last 90 or whatever it's been years)...
    "Most?" I have never seen a film adaptation that came anywhere near to the plot of the book ... weirdly, the worst offender, by my lights, was a for-tv movie called Frankenstein: The True Story which purported to be a return to the book ... and did at least involve an Arctic exploration ship ... but somehow managed to get Dr. Polidori (the only other one of that famous party on Lake Geneva who actually finished his "ghost story") into the plot.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Watching Deliverance been wanting to rewatch this one. I remember seeing it at the cinema. Squeal like a pig...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Your mouth is sure purty
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watched White Zombie last night. Good movie. Nice visuals. Makes me want to see Serpent And The Rainbow again.

Along with my Halloween horror movie watching, we always add a haunted house to the 'to do' list. Went to one last night and it was awesome. Pure Terror Scream Park in Monroe, NY. Highly recommended if you are in the NY/NJ/Conn area and like this sort of thing. Very well done! Put me in a metal mood
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Death Race 2050

Avoid this like a Hillary Clinton twerking tutorial video! Previous Death Race movies were typically packed with a lot of action and carnage.
    This is more like a sub "B" movie takeoff of the previous ones. Horrible attempts at trying to be funny and over the top. I hate myself so much
    for watching the entire movie.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

The Devil's Candy

Not a bad, very short little horror about a possesed house and metalhead painter

Tales Of Halloween

Fun, perfect for this time of year dark humor horror. There's like 10 different tales...some work and some don't, but the ones that do make this a recommendation from me. Some surprisingly recognizable faces pop up! If you liked Trick R Treat (like I did) you'll appreciate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Devil's Candy

Not a bad, very short little horror about a possesed house and metalhead painter

Tales Of Halloween

Fun, perfect for this time of year dark humor horror. There's like 10 different tales...some work and some don't, but the ones that do make this a recommendation from me. Some surprisingly recognizable faces pop up! If you liked Trick R Treat (like I did) you'll appreciate this.
    Thanks! I was on the fence on both of these.

The Ghost and Mr Chicken was on TCM last night. "And they used Bon Ami!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Been rewatching 70s British horror anthologies from Amicus

1) Tales From The Crypt
    2) From Beyond The Grace
    3) Asylum
    4) Vault of Horror
    5) The House that Dripped Blood

Tales is the best one, but they all have their charm
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Dead of Night remains my favorite Brit horror anthology

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Thanks! I was on the fence on both of these.
    Strictly late night! Hey...in case you missed my post a while back because it got buried under a stack of 8 mile long posts, do yourself a favor and check out The Void if you haven't yet. It's so old school with all practical effects remeniscent of Hellraiser, The Thing and even The Beyond. SO much fun dude even without much character development and story. People trapped inside a hospital by some demonic cult with triangles on their faces and oh...there's a basement? I mean cmon, what more do ya want?

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Strictly late night! Hey...in case you missed my post a while back because it got buried under a stack of 8 mile long posts, do yourself a favor and check out The Void if you haven't yet. It's so old school with all practical effects remeniscent of Hellraiser, The Thing and even The Beyond. SO much fun dude even without much character development and story. People trapped inside a hospital by some demonic cult with triangles on their faces and oh...there's a basement? I mean cmon, what more do ya want?
    Thanks. I have seen this, and did enjoy it.

We saw A Star Is Born this weekend. Walked away very impressed. Lady Gaga was incredible, and Bradley Cooper surprised with how well he can sing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wife went to see it last night, she said it was ok but hardly earth shattering, though she did cry at the end.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Wife went to see it last night, she said it was ok but hardly earth shattering, though she did cry at the end.
    I've never seen any of the other versions, but the story was pretty predictable. I kept whispering in my gf's ear what was going to happen next. So, I don't believe that it should get a best picture nom, as I've seen some people predict, but I want to see Lady Gaga get a best actress nomination.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Death Race 2050

Avoid this like a Hillary Clinton twerking tutorial video! Previous Death Race movies were typically packed with a lot of action and carnage.
    This is more like a sub "B" movie takeoff of the previous ones. Horrible attempts at trying to be funny and over the top. I hate myself so much
    for watching the entire movie.
    I've only ever seen the original picture. When I heard Roger Corman was talking about doing a belated sequel, probably 8 or 9 years ago, I thought, "How are you going to do a Death Race 2000 sequel when we've got cars now that are designed to stop on a dime to avoid hitting obstacles in it's path?!".