Page 154 of 394 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164204254 ... LastLast
Results 3,826 to 3,850 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I watched Miillion Dollar Baby again (several views). Hilary Swank and Clint Eastwood. A deep bond develops between a cantankerous trainer and female boxer he reluctantly takes under his wing and she excels to an internaitional level. It deals very effectively with the topic a euthanasia, a struggle for the main chaacter under a tragic incident. Handled so tastefully (for me) and an excellent story. Morgan Freeman is excellent too.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-27-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Very excited for this one coming out in November! My kind of film.
    interesting... like a sinister version of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hitsville: The Making of Motown--good doc on the music and label

Halston: pretty decent doc on the fashion designer

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Red Vioin - excellent move from 20 years ago, tracing the history of a perfectly designed violin that is now over 400 years old. Excellent filming. Very vivid images, sweeping history and international context, and interesting story. Excellent,, really.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 08-28-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Red Vioin - excellent move from 20 years ago, tracing the history of a perfectly designed violin that is now over 400 years old. Excellent filming. Very vivid images, sweeping history and international context, and interesting story. Excellent,, really.
    Beautiful film. God, it's so heartening to see titles like this show up now and then in this thread.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Desperado
    8/10

One of my likes from the 90's

Yet another intriguing one on its way! Seems there's no shortage of them lately!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

TAKE MY MONEY!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hell yeah
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Its a better trailer than the previous one, but I am still not sold.

And did I spot an inconsistency? At the end of T2 Sarah had learned to trust and work with the terminator. If this movie is supposed to follow on directly from the events of T2, why would Sarah try to shoot the terminator when he is revealed when the door opens...especially as he has clearly aged and has a beard...hardly threatening.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Its a better trailer than the previous one, but I am still not sold.

And did I spot an inconsistency? At the end of T2 Sarah had learned to trust and work with the terminator. If this movie is supposed to follow on directly from the events of T2, why would Sarah try to shoot the terminator when he is revealed when the door opens...especially as he has clearly aged and has a beard...hardly threatening.
    Arnold's terminator died at the end of T2 - that's why she's ready to kill.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Letters From Hibakusha: three short anime films based on letters written by survivors of the Hiroshima bombing. There's also short documentary bits showing the research and thought the animators put into making the films. This was shown on NHK World this morning, it's repeating again at 1:10pm Eastern. I don't know what opportunities one might have to see it beyond that, but I think it's worth seeing if youg et the chance. It's only 50 minutes long.

Bell From Hell--odd Eurohorror, giallo about a guy that gets released from an insane asylum to exact revenge on those who put him there. Pretty slow, but worthwhile.

A Single Man--Colin Firth plays a gay man that loses his lover. Pretty well done, but again fairly slow or deliberately paced, but well done. I liked the era it was set in.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople--an independent film was like Sarah Connor in Terminator. It was majestical and gangsta. There was a perv in there too. Fun movie.

A Simple Favor. 2018 . Directed by Paul Fieg. Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick. Over achieving single mom ,Kendrick, befriends wild unbalanced mom with secrets , Lively. Murder , twists , mind games ensue. I really liked this one. Some genuine surprises , pretty cool story. With a sense of humour. 8 of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    A Simple Favor. 2018 . Directed by Paul Fieg. Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick. Over achieving single mom ,Kendrick, befriends wild unbalanced mom with secrets , Lively. Murder , twists , mind games ensue. I really liked this one. Some genuine surprises , pretty cool story. With a sense of humour. 8 of 10.
    I'm a big fan of this movie as well. Both leads are superb, and I like Kendrick so much that I even watched all the Pitch Perfect movies!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople--an independent film was like Sarah Connor in Terminator. It was majestical and gangsta. There was a perv in there too. Fun movie.
    I love that movie.

Not only is it funny and clever, but it’s really sweet too.

Nostalgia, dammit. I was watching The Goldberg's and something made me want to look up this long gone movie theater here. It was so trippy I wish I had done mushrooms at least once in it's heyday but I was too young, mostly.

What I found was pretty cool. A still from The Gauntlet with Clint Eastwood in front of the Red Rock 4 theaters - later to go to 11 - with him and Sandra Locke. Too lazy to post it. This is less than a mile from my house.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/3183/photos/75584

I've never seen this movie but I did a couple minutes of searching and didn't find what my memory tells me. That still proves that a part of this flick was filmed here but I've always been under the impression that a bus was shot up for that movie just a couple hundred yards from where I sit. Seems that is unlikely as the clips of the bus are in a city. But, I did find one where a house falls in on itself which looks like it easily could have been shot here.

I dunno. Just some funny stuff to add. Man, that movie theater was the bees knees, folks. A huge "player piano" except it had a boatload of mechanical animals playing the instruments. All kinds of large porcelain animals painted in totally trippy colors. Shops on the main street side selling pewter figurines and what not. I haven't had much luck finding photos of the place but here's one. Memories big time here. Saw Jaws there and a friend spilled her whole bucket of popcorn on the folks behind her in the chub scene. Saw Rocky and Star Wars there.

Damn I'm old.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/3183/photos/52041
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm a big fan of this movie as well. Both leads are superb, and I like Kendrick so much that I even watched all the Pitch Perfect movies!
    Im guessing you caught Mr Right ,with Kendrick and Sam Rockwell? Superb.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Nostalgia, dammit. I was watching The Goldberg's and something made me want to look up this long gone movie theater here.

Damn I'm old.
    But, are you old enough to have gone to a Jerry Lewis Cinema? I remember seeing "Mad Monster Party" at one of those...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Everybody see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood yet?

Movie nostalgia galore!

Watched an interesting doc on Netlix At the Drive-In (2017) .

Its about the restoration and re opening of the Mahoning Drive-In in Lehighton PA.

They only play classic movies on the original 35m projectors.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    But, are you old enough to have gone to a Jerry Lewis Cinema? I remember seeing "Mad Monster Party" at one of those...
    I may be old enough but have never heard of that. When was this a thing?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

That was a pretty good article. My only gripe with it is this line: "Alien came just 10 years after the moon landing, when mainstream science fiction was the epic dreams of 2001: A Space Odyssey or Close Encounters of the Third Kind, or the grand adventure of Star Wars." It equates Close Encounters and Star Wars with 2001 thereby implying both of those movies were released 10 years before Alien when, in fact, they were released only 1˝ and 2 years before, respectively. It would have been more accurate chronologically and thematically to use Planet of the Apes and Marooned, released in '68 and '69, respectively, both of which were typically androcentric.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I may be old enough but have never heard of [Jerry Lewis Cinema]. When was this a thing?
    In the late '60s/early '70s, The King of Comedy created a franchise for "mini-cinemas", ancestors of the modern mulitplex with 2-3 small theatres each. (They were nicer than modern theater-in-a-box multis, though.) It was a financial disaster.

This is a description.

This is an ad for franchise opportunities.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.