Page 83 of 394 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133183 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

The movie with the boat chase through Amsterdam is actually called Amsterdamned. It's a kind of horror, thriller serial killer movie if I remember.

This is still one of my favorites though...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Love The Seven Ups!

Its kind of like an unofficial sequel to The French Connection (1971).

Same director, same gritty NYC setting and stars Roy Scheider & Tony Lo Bianco.

Not to mention the terrific car chase!
    I agree, I think it's far better than it's "poor man's French Connection" reputation would imply.

And there is an incredibly tense scene inside a car wash, with great use of the score to create a sense of unease.

But it doesn't get much better than this...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

funny thing... as someone who has lived in NYC and the area where the Nova decapitation happened, you cant go from Manhattan then over the GW bridge and get on the Taconic

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

...classic
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    The movie with the boat chase through Amsterdam is actually called Amsterdamned. It's a kind of horror, thriller serial killer movie if I remember.
    Well, that description sounds a lot like Puppet on a Chain, which did have a weird sort of horror, serial killer, and psychedelic 70s aspect. My dad took me to see it in the theater - thanks again, Dad! (It was kind of f'd up, but the boat chase is great). Maybe they retitled it for some market(s)? Here's the boat chase. It takes a couple of minutes for them to get into the canals proper. (God, the canals were a filthy mess back then! You can see in some scenes crowds of people were standing on the bridges to watch the action.) Back in the 70s a motorboat could jump over anything!:

Last edited by JKL2000; 01-23-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Hal, wasn't that, Dr. No? They were dumping fuel tanks, shooting them and they would blow up? But, they were not in the canals but in open water. However, in, From Russia with Love, they were going down the canals but no boat chase.
    No, I was definitely thinking of Live & Let Die. I just had the two movies confused.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Love The Seven Ups!
    Same director, same gritty NYC setting and stars Roy Scheider & Tony Lo Bianco.
    Same producer. William Friedkin directed French Connection. BTW, the guy you see being chased by Roy Scheider in Seven-Ups is also the same guy being chased by Steve McQueen in Bullitt.

[Ronin] is still one of my favorites though...
    I love the shot of DeNiro & Reno after they run the car into the wall and they both look over, as if to say, "oops. Sorry." That's actually one of my fave movies from the '90s. BTW, I think the first tunnel they drive through is the same one Princess Di was killed in.

As for great car chases, what about The Blues Brothers? Not terribly exciting but certainly funny.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

This is still one of my favorites though...
    Ronin is just a great thriller all 'round, though I'll admit I'm a sucker for anything with Jean Reno in it...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Puppet On A Chain and Masterdamned are two different movies, made about 15 years apart.

Amsterdamned is actually a pretty good movie, slightly in the slasher category, but it was a good thriller. There's some pretty intense scenes in that one. I remember it playing on TV a number of times in the late 80's. Apparently, the inappropriately upbeat title song (which plays over the closing credits) was a hit, sung by a duo known as Loïs Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    As for great car chases, what about The Blues Brothers? Not terribly exciting but certainly funny.
    Burton Mercer: Hi! You wanna hand me the mic?
    (Trooper Daniel hands him the mic from under the dashboard)
    Mercer: Thanks! (into mic) Uh, this is car...(to Trooper Mount) What car are we?
    Trooper Mount: FIVE! FIVE!
    Mercer: (into mic) This is car 55, uhm, we're in a truck! (chuckles uncomfortably)

You should know better than to mention The Blues Brothers in my company. And yes, I know the business of the police car getting stuck on a moving truck was lifted from Smokey And The Bandit. "Son, you think you could let me off at the next exit?!".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Burton Mercer: Hi! You wanna hand me the mic?
    (Trooper Daniel hands him the mic from under the dashboard)
    Mercer: Thanks! (into mic) Uh, this is car...(to Trooper Mount) What car are we?
    Trooper Mount: FIVE! FIVE!
    Mercer: (into mic) This is car 55, uhm, we're in a truck! (chuckles uncomfortably)
    I love John Candy in that movie. One of my all time favorite lines from any movie: "Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips."

But it's Candy's delivery that makes it perfect.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I love John Candy in that movie. One of my all time favorite lines from any movie: "Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips."

But it's Candy's delivery that makes it perfect.
    What makes it work is the contrast between Candy, who seems to be playing his usual goofball/lunkhead role, and Armand Cermani and Stephen Carpenter, the actors playing Troopers Daniel and Mount.

Burton Mercer expresses admiration for "the Wrigley Field bit", wants to hear them sing before arresting them, and just seems to have the wrong attitude for a stake out. In general, you get the feeling he might be the most inefficient parole officer ever.

Troopers Daniel and Mount come off as a couple of hard ass patrolmen who are, as far as they're concerned, tracking two dangerous criminals (actually, I suppose some of Jake and Elwood's actions are dangerous, but it's not like they're running around shooting people between the eyes or something).

My favorite line is probably "Unnecessary violence in the apprehension of The Blues Brothers has been approved". And then there's the total over the top invasion of Daly Plaza, topped off by the guard on duty telling the SWAT team member who asks about the Blues brothers, "Yeah, I sent them down there", in which "down there" apparently means "down the corridor, to your right, take the elevator to the 13 floor". And when the mob policeman, soldiers, etc reach the elevators, one of them actually presses the button for the elevator, as if they were somehow going to cram into one elevator car, had the door opened immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Ronin is just a great thriller all 'round, though I'll admit I'm a sucker for anything with Jean Reno in it...
    The older I get, the better I was.

And when the mob policeman, soldiers, etc reach the elevators, one of them actually presses the button for the elevator, as if they were somehow going to cram into one elevator car, had the door opened immediately.
    There are just so many great moments & bits in that movie, like the SWAT guys rappelling down from the roof going, "hut, hut, hut."

You also reminded me of one of my two favorite bits in that movie: Jake & Elwood riding up in the elevator while the easy listening version of "The Girl From Ipanema" is playing.

My other fave bit is Jake charming Carrie Fisher and then dropping her in the sewage. I love how he pulls off his sunglasses and her heart just melts.

There are just so many great moments & bits in that movie, like the SWAT guys rappelling down from the roof going, "hut, hut, hut."
    The whole Daly Plaza sequence is insane. They really shot at Daly Plaza, and yes, they really did crash the Bluesmobile through one of the plate glass windows there. I think John Landis once insinuated he had to go to the mob and ask them to "apply pressure" where it was needed for them to get permission to do all that.

One thing a lot of people don't realize was that before The Blues Brothers, nobody had been allowed to shoot in Chicago since the early 60's. The story goes that there was an episode of some TV show, where a Chicago cop was shown taking a bribe, and Mayor Daly was so incensed by this that he banned anyone from making TV or movies in the city. And whatever circumstances that allowed John Landis to film there opened the doors for all the movies that were shot there during the 80's and beyond, like all those John Hughes movies, for instance.
    You also reminded me of one of my two favorite bits in that movie: Jake & Elwood riding up in the elevator while the easy listening version of "The Girl From Ipanema" is playing.
    One of the big themes of that movie is their placid exterior while chaos is unfolding around them. You've got the police, SWAT team, fire department, the Army (complete with helicopters and howitzers) descending upon Daly Plaza, and they're in the elevator, completely calm and collected, riding up to the 11th floor.

Also note how they appear to be totally unaware of Carrie Fisher attempting to kill them, through the whole movie. Even immediately after each attempt, they act like nothing's happened. The scene in the phone booth outside the HoJo's. She blows up a propane tank with a flame thrower, the phone shoots up in the air, then collapses on the ground, the two of them are sprawled out, and Elwood's, "Hey, Jake! There must be at least 11 bucks in change here!". One wonders if the phone still worked.

My other fave bit is Jake charming Carrie Fisher and then dropping her in the sewage. I love how he pulls off his sunglasses and her heart just melts.
    Jake begging for his life is awesome..."It wasn't my fault! I SWEAR TO GAWWWWWWWWD!"

We could sit here and talk about every single thing in that movie, there's not a dull moment, not even on the extended cut that's on the DVD.

When Angels Sleep

Spanish with subtitles on Netflix.

Dad is out of town on important business trip. Misses daughters birthday party. Decides to take company car and drive home to get there asap and make it up to
    the little girl. Leaves later than expected and is driving late into the night. Starts to fall asleep at the wheel and.......
    Very well done . Suspenseful and a bit disturbing at times. Liked it a lot.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    One of the best thrillers of that decade!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I love Jean Reno in The Professional
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Excellent movie!

Hal ; "
    Same producer. William Friedkin directed French Connection. BTW, the guy you see being chased by Roy Scheider in Seven-Ups is also the same guy being chased by Steve McQueen in Bullitt."

I cant come up with his name , but he was a stunt driver who ended up on screen a few times. They went for realism at the time and cars were driven at high speeds on real streets. The French Connection chase was famously filmed without permits from the City , and had unexpected encounters with civilians during filming. As mentioned , the 7UPs "decapitation" was unplanned as well.
    I looked up the drivers name just now , it was Bill Hickman , I was thinking Bill Hicks who was a comedian , I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Natalie Portman (pre-StarWars) is pretty good too.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Also note how they appear to be totally unaware of Carrie Fisher attempting to kill them, through the whole movie. Even immediately after each attempt, they act like nothing's happened.
    I used to think they were oblivious until I realized they simply weren't concerned. After all, they were on a mission from God!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I looked up the drivers name just now , it was Bill Hickman , I was thinking Bill Hicks who was a comedian , I think.
    Yes, that's it!

Regardless of what my favorite chase scene is, and I'm not even sure I have one, without a doubt my favorite sequence is the first few minutes in Bullitt:

Fuckin' classic.

I used to think they were oblivious until I realized they simply weren't concerned. After all, they were on a mission from God!
    I guess that's sound reasoning. Another thing is, maybe people trying to kill them is an every day part of life for them. It's kinda suggested that they're both career criminals (notice Elwood stealing the windshield wiper blades from the gas station, just before Twiggy shows up), so they've probably incurred the wrath of more than a few pimps, hustlers, etc. So someone shooting at them, or blowing up the flophouse they live in, etc is nothing new to them.

Yes, that's it!

Regardless of what my favorite chase scene is, and I'm not even sure I have one, without a doubt my favorite sequence is the first few minutes in Bullitt:

Fuckin' classic.
    The guy in the car with Hickman ended up years later , also as a mob hitman , in a movie , I think Ghost Dog . I don't think I ever saw him in anything but those two.
    I wonder if Dodge and Ford paid a product placement fee to have their cars used in the movie. Nowadays definitely , back then , maybe not. I've driven a Mach I , its fast and jittery to the point of unsafe.

Bill Hickman actor/stunt driver in Bullitt, The French Connection and The Seven Ups.

Three of my favorite movies!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone