Page 189 of 394 FirstFirst ... 89139179185186187188189190191192193199239289 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,725 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Costner did Open Range with Robert Duvall, an exceptional western. It's a slow burner for the first couple hours but the final showdown is epic.
    I've never seen that one, just looked it up and I am sold based just on the cast! I love Michael Gambon. I will keep my eye out for this one.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Extraction

Netflix original movie starring Chris Hemsworth as a mercenary hired to retrieve the son of a drug kingpin who was kidnapped by a rival
    in India. TONS of action and body count in this. Very entertaining!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Just watched "Pi" (1998). Difficult to sit through. Interesting story but just tedious to sit through. Couldn't wait for it to end.
    E-A-T

We watched “Best Of Enemies” last night. It was a bit cliched, but overall, I liked it. Sam Rockwell was excellent in it. Taraji Henderson was a bit over the top at time, although she was portraying a real person so maybe it was accurate. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Extraction

Netflix original movie starring Chris Hemsworth as a mercenary hired to retrieve the son of a drug kingpin who was kidnapped by a rival
    Jotting this one down...I'm due for an action flick.

Can't remember the last time I actually watched a movie...been mostly doing Netflix series.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Jotting this one down...I'm due for an action flick.

Can't remember the last time I actually watched a movie...been mostly doing Netflix series.
    I haven't watced a movie in the last three weeks (unusual) because my wife and I are binge watching Six Feet Under - now at the end of season two.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Extraction

This was like watching Thor playing Call of duty
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Captive (1980): low budget sci-fi about a pair of aliens, whose planet has been engaged in war with Earth for the last 2 decades, crashland on Earth, and take a family hostage.

Veteran actor Cameron Mitchell plays the older, more sadistic of the two aliens. He manages to kill two different pets (a dog and a canary) owed by the family, and engages in other behaviour that suggests he's not a particular savory characer.

David Ladd, son of western star Alan Ladd and ex-husband of Cheryl, plays the younger of the two aliens, who, we're told, was grown in a test tude. Mitchell's character keeps calling him "tuber". Lori Saunders, who some of you may know from her work on Petticoat Junction (just for the record, she played the same character also on episodes of Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres), plays a human woman who gets a little friendly, if you know what I mean, with Ladd's character.

The rest of teh cast is nobodies, but it looks the film's director, and I believe his sister or daughter (same last name) are among them.

Special effects are pretty decent for the era, I'm not sure if the outer space bits are stock footage, or if they actually some money to make them themselves.

One of the producers on the film (and also credited with directing some scenes) just happens to be Anne Spielberg, Steven's sister. She also later wrote Big, the Tom Hanks vehicle.

Needless to say, this ain't a great picture. It's reasonably entertaining, though I'm not sure I'll watching it repeatedly the way I have wiht certain other movies. The best thing about the film is it's musical score, which is mostly synth based. Lots of cool filter sweeps and such in the music. The score is credited to teh film's writer/director/producer Robert Emenegger, who apparently worked on a lot of low budget stuff back in the 70's and early 80's. Wikipedia gives his last credit as 1981. I'm not curious to see if I can find some Emenegger's other work.

Oh, one otehr thing: the aliens costumes appear to be leftovers from Logan's Run, as they're dressed like Sandmen!

Edit: I forgot to mention, it's on Prime Video, should you feel this looks like something you'll like.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 04-26-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I haven't watced a movie in the last three weeks (unusual) because my wife and I are binge watching Six Feet Under - now at the end of season two.
    Brilliant series! My favourite of all time. Outstanding writing and acting.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    One of the best for sure. Ended perfectly too.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Watched Little Women last night. Very good.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

for Costner, beside what was already noted, I also liked No Way Out

but then I always love government cover-up/conspiracy movies

3 Days of the Condor is one of my few "6 star" movies
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

but then I always love government cover-up/conspiracy movies

3 Days of the Condor is one of my few "6 star" movies

I was going to mention that one, good movie
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Costner; Mr. Brooks. Surprising little serial killer flick. Kinda Dexterish with William Hurt playing his dark passenger. I would've ended the movie just seconds before it ends, but, all in all a good little cat & mouse deal.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Wasn't that the one where he has sex with Sean Young in the back of the limo?

One of my favorite Costner's is A Perfect World. More animated than usual , and a dynomite film.

Watched The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy of movies on Prime recently. Although it was 7 hours of subtitles, I found them quite entertaining.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Costner did Open Range with Robert Duvall, an exceptional western. It's a slow burner for the first couple hours but the final showdown is epic.
    I love that movie!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The first one's probably been mentioned, but:

Prisoners (2013) - Directed by Denis Villeneuve. Very suspenseful abduction thriller/mystery. Not for the squeemish.

Remember (2015) - This is on Netflix. Can't recommend this enough. Very suspenseful, though you may not think so at first. Just watch it soon and avoid spoilers at all cost!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That was a good one, although I think we stopped somewhere along the way. But this was before streaming.

Once Were Brothers: Robbie Robertson And The Band (2020). Simply amazing. Must see for any music fan. It even has a brief appearance by Peter Gabriel!!

What you're left with is a story of blinding light, success, drugs, and betrayal.

A worthy successor to The Last Waltz. Easily a 10/10
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 05-06-2020 at 12:03 AM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The first one's probably been mentioned, but:

Prisoners (2013) - Directed by Denis Villeneuve. Very suspenseful abduction thriller/mystery. Not for the squeemish.
    With Hugh Jackman. Excellent movie overall but the ending was disappointing.

Banned
    Adam Dalgleish Mysteries by P.D.James.
    Very long episodes. Terribly good.

Cover Her Face
    Shroud for a Nightingale
    Black Tower
    Death of an Expert Witness

Also Cracker.

When you watch British acting/series, you never again want to go back to American chucklehead.

Just finished Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse. Wow, I thought his The Witch was a twisted piece of work. This takes that to another level. The acting was just superb. Nine out of ten one-eyed seagulls.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-witch-1250507
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just finished Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse. Wow, I thought his The Witch was a twisted piece of work. This takes that to another level. The acting was just superb. Nine out of ten one-eyed seagulls.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-witch-1250507
    Saturday Night Live did another "from home" show last night and Kate McInnon did a parody of The Lighthouse that was pretty funny.