Page 174 of 394 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    I saw "1917" today. Spectacular film making. Presented as (ostensibly) a single follow shot throughout the entire film, it works to perfection. I literally could not take my eyes off the screen. One would be wise to be sure you're settled in at the start, because it draws you in and does not allow your attention to flag until the end. The cast is unknown to me, except for brief cameos by Benedict Cumberbatch, Colin Firth and Richard Madden, but the two central actors are wonderful. Sam Mendes has made one of the best films in recent memory. I loved it and will probably see it again to focus on the many period details included that make the production work so well.
    I saw it last night and the set design was amazing.

A great film, despite the recycled plot that's been in many other war movies.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

We watched "The Lighthouse" on demand tonight. What a strange and wonderful movie. I will go see anything Eggers does. Two for Two so far.

I know this has been discussed previously, but if you have Prime, Midsommar is now available. A wonderfully weird film worth seeing.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I know this has been discussed previously, but if you have Prime, Midsommar is now available. A wonderfully weird film worth seeing.
    Agree, a horror movie mostly filmed in broad daylight. Different for sure, and I enjoyed it.

Available on Prime in 4K too...I'm all over this probably tonight. Depending on wether or not I want to apply myself for 2+ hours
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Midsommar didn't seem like two hours plus to me, I didn't get bored once.

On the other hand, Dragged Across Concrete moved too slow for me. It was alright, but could have been shorter.

Slipstream--Mark Hammil and Bill Paxton--b-SF movie, but if you don't mind the low budget fairly interesting.

Tracker--a bounty hunter tracks his prey in New Zealand. Almost a western and beautiful scenery made this work for me.

Saw "1917" this afternoon. Amazing film, especially the way it is shot. I have no clue how they did it, but this is one to see in a theater folks.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Slipstream--Mark Hammil and Bill Paxton--b-SF movie, but if you don't mind the low budget fairly interesting.
    this reminded me of another Sci-Fi B-movie of the same name I saw a few years ago that I vaguely remember liking...

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Saw John Wick 3 last night. Dude can definitely take a beating! Probably also set a record for most head shots, and genitals destroyed by a german shepherd.

Saw John Wick 3 last night. Dude can definitely take a beating! Probably also set a record for most head shots, and genitals destroyed by a german shepherd.
    I thought they overdid it with the headshots, certainly in the last scene during the storming of the hotel. Its OK when its used sparingly, but that was just overkill.

Also the final three way fight scene went on far too long for me, especially the endless throwing each other into the glass shelves.

Shame, because apart from that I quite enjoyed the movie.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Midsommer

Finally got around to this one last night. Well done! It's long, but didn't drag at all. Great atmosphere that held me tight and visually tasty. The score was pretty awesome too fitting the creepy mood nicely. If you like slow burns and weird Pagan shit, definitely check this out. Incredibly reminiscent of The Wicker Man.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters--they took what was a pretty fun Asian franchise, and made it into another borefest.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters--they took what was a pretty fun Asian franchise, and made it into another borefest.
    As much as there is a degree of spectacle about watching monsters slug it out, it can get old real quick if there is too much of it.

Plus for some reason the monster battle scenes seemed very dark, it was often hard to make out what was going on.

2019s Crawl. Category 5 hurricane hits Florida and alligators of the large variety, take advantage of flood waters and lack of civil order to chow down . Actually for what it is , it was well done. A lot of the scares are of the alligator in the box kind but it has a claustrophobic feel . It actually gave me a literal nightmare . Or maybe it was something I ate...…….

Us--pretty good horror, didn't know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    2019s Crawl. Category 5 hurricane hits Florida and alligators of the large variety, take advantage of flood waters and lack of civil order to chow down . Actually for what it is , it was well done. A lot of the scares are of the alligator in the box kind but it has a claustrophobic feel . It actually gave me a literal nightmare . Or maybe it was something I ate...…….
    Do you know I've actually heard that this was pretty good ...thanks for the reminder!

Don't F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer (2019). On Netflix. This is the premise: a guy posts a video of himself on the dark web killing two kittens. A small group of internet geeks band together to try and locate the guy, uncovering lots of clues and info about him. Later, the guy posts videos of him drowning a kitten and feeding a kitten to what looks like a boa constrictor.

I'm not sure what to make of it. On one hand, I thought it was really well made and does a good job of holding your interest for three hours (in three parts). And, thankfully, the filmmakers don't show the really graphic parts of the videos. On the other hand, I don't think the movie turned out to be what I assumed it will be and that was a little disappointing.

IMdB rating: 82%. RottenTomatoes ratings: 63% (Critics), 82% (Audience).

The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015). On Netflix. From RottenTomatoes: "Slow-building and atmospheric, The Blackcoat's Daughter resists girls-in-peril clichés in a supernatural thriller that serves as a strong calling card for debuting writer-director Osgood Perkins."

The movie is about 3 young women, two of whom (Rose and Kat) are students at a Catholic boarding school, and another (Joan) whose origins are mysterious and who's traveling with a couple on their way to the same town as the Catholic school. Nearly halfway into the movie, it's revealed there are actually two different timelines. And then about 2/3 of the way into the movie it gets violent.

It's certainly "slow-building", which is not a bad thing, and "atmospheric" - in parts. On IMdB it got a rating of 59% and on RottenTomatoes it got ratings of 73% (C) and 48% (A). This movie had a lot of potential that the director came close to achieving. But in the end I felt like he relied on the jumps in the timelines too much, which ended up feeling more like a gimmick and wasn't necessary for the narrative. There's also another aspect to the movie that, unfortunately, reminded me of something from another movie and so its impact wasn't nearly what it could have been.

Still, it's worth a look. The acting is really good with Lucy Boynton (Apostle, Bohemian Rhapsody) as Rose, Emma Roberts (American Horror Story, We're the Millers) as Joan, and especially Kiernan Shipka (Don Draper's daughter in Mad Men and the deaf daughter in The Silence) as Kat. James Remar (The Warriors, 48 Hours, Dexter) and Lauren Holly (Picket Fences, NCIS) are also really good in supporting roles as the couple giving Joan a ride.

I guess I feel the critic rating on RT (73%) is closer to how good the movie is.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I thought it was fantastic. But it's the kind of movie that does best on a big movie screen.

King Ghidorah was frightening, especially when he made his first appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I thought it was fantastic. But it's the kind of movie that does best on a big movie screen.

King Ghidorah was frightening, especially when he made his first appearance.
    I saw it on the big and small screen. Bores me on both occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I saw it on the big and small screen. Bores me on both occasions.
    Sorry to hear that, because I had a ball watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    But it's the kind of movie that does best on a big movie screen.
    I hear that occasionally, but I don't agree. If the story is any good it should translate on any screen. Some films might be more fun seeing them at the theater, but that's rare for me.

[QUOTE=Hal...;951722]Don't F**k With Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer (2019). On Netflix. This is the premise: a guy posts a video of himself on the dark web killing two kittens. A small group of internet geeks band together to try and locate the guy, uncovering lots of clues and info about him. Later, the guy posts videos of him drowning a kitten and feeding a kitten to what looks like a boa constrictor.

I'm not sure what to make of it. On one hand, I thought it was really well made and does a good job of holding your interest for three hours (in three parts). And, thankfully, the filmmakers don't show the really graphic parts of the videos. On the other hand, I don't think the movie turned out to be what I assumed it will be and that was a little disappointing.

IMdB rating: 82%. RottenTomatoes ratings: 63% (Critics), 82% (Audience).

You may have not been as disappointed if you were Canadian and or a cat lover. I am both and had no idea that it would end up being about one of the most horrendous criminals in Canadian history. Like many things Canadian, not much spills over the border in terms of news and notoriety.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Do you know I've actually heard that this was pretty good ...thanks for the reminder!
    You will love it!

I hear that occasionally, but I don't agree. If the story is any good it should translate on any screen. Some films might be more fun seeing them at the theater, but that's rare for me.
    You really don't believe a movie about giant monsters is best seen on a big screen? Or a movie like 1917? I don't agree with that, but hey whatever floats your boat. Some films (like those) are light on story, heavy on the experience and/or spectacle -- which is okay, I don't want every film to be the same.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    In general, I think it makes a huge difference to a movie on the big screen with big sound. Why else spend $40 bucks on a movie and popcorn (best served in a theater) and drinks.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)