Page 299 of 397 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349 ... LastLast
Results 7,451 to 7,475 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    He was. He did, after all, co-star in Dog Day Afternoon and The Deer Hunter, two other huge '70s movies.

He was also the first love of Meryl Streep, who stayed by his side as he withered away from cancer.
    Yes, very sad and a huge loss to the acting world. Consider what could have come from him in the decades since. You probably know this, but for anyone who doesn't, it's an interesting trivia tidbit: Cazale is the only actor to have every film he was in nominated for Best Picture (three of which won). Of course, he only made five films, but that's still an incredible thing IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You probably know this, but for anyone who doesn't, it's an interesting trivia tidbit: Cazale is the only actor to have every film he was in nominated for Best Picture (three of which won). Of course, he only made five films, but that's still an incredible thing IMO.
    I did not know that. Yeah, that's pretty impressive.

I always forget he was in The Conversation. He didn't have a lot of screen time in it, tho. I always find it really interesting that Harrison Ford, Cindy Williams, Teri Garr, Frederic Forrest, and Robert Duvall appear in that movie, albeit in minor roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Consider what could have come from him in the decades since.
    Given how the quality of movies dropped off at the beginning of the '80s, I suspect he would have spent most of his time on Broadway.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Stillwater--Matt Damon stars, in a fish-out-of-water premise around an Oklahoma oil rigger turned construction worker, Bill Baker, whose daughter Allison (Abigail Breslin) has landed in a Marseille prison. She’s serving a murder sentence for the killing of her lover, though she contends the real killer was a young Arab man still at large. Overall it's a pretty slow film, but I like that was shot in France. 3.5 probably. Pretty decent drama on Showtime

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just once can we have a plucky Italian coming to American to rescue their child from the corrupt American justice system?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Stillwater--Matt Damon stars, in a fish-out-of-water premise around an Oklahoma oil rigger turned construction worker, Bill Baker, whose daughter Allison (Abigail Breslin) has landed in a Marseille prison. She’s serving a murder sentence for the killing of her lover, though she contends the real killer was a young Arab man still at large. Overall it's a pretty slow film, but I like that was shot in France. 3.5 probably. Pretty decent drama on Showtime
    I saw it in the theater when it came out and would rate it about the same.

Revisited Mean Streets this afternoon for the first time in years. Hard not to love the youthful energy of young De Niro against the low budget backdrop of Scorsese's first biggie.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Saw the new Elvis film in the theater this evening. It is not a perfect movie, but I really enjoyed it. Austin Butler as Elvis is amazing and should be a shoe in for an Oscar nomination this year. Tom Hanks is a bit over the top at times, and sometimes comes across as almost cartoonish, but generally he does a good job as Colonel Parker (the story is told from his point of view). It is a Baz Luhrmann film, and his style can be a love it or hate it type of thing, but I thought it worked for this movie. Recommended.

I just discovered Joe Turkel passed away June 27, a couple weeks before his 95th birthday.

Here he is in the Kubrick films The Killing and Paths of Glory:

He's best known for The Shining and Blade Runner:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I watched the new documentary on Kurt Vonnegut (Unstuck in Time, Hulu) last night. While I have mixed feelings about the amount of himself the director (Robert Weide, probably best known for Curb Your Enthusiasm) inserts into the picture, it's understandable given the length of time he spent working on it with KV over the years. The film made me tear up more than once, and sent me scurrying to my book case to once again revisit his work.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I watched the new documentary on Kurt Vonnegut (Unstuck in Time, Hulu) last night. While I have mixed feelings about the amount of himself the director (Robert Weide, probably best known for Curb Your Enthusiasm) inserts into the picture, it's understandable given the length of time he spent working on it with KV over the years. The film made me tear up more than once, and sent me scurrying to my book case to once again revisit his work.
    That sounds interesting. What service is it on?

I watched it free on Hulu. Not sure about other availability.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I watched it free on Hulu. Not sure about other availability.

Saw "Black Phone" in the theater over the weekend. Decent suspense / horror flick. The two kids who are the main characters do a great job and Ethan Hawk is also good. A few good scares and some story twists. All in all nothing spectacular, but a good movie.

Saw the new(ish) Dr. Strange movie -- plot holes you could drive an M4 Sherman through, but fun nonetheless. It gave me everything I go to a superhero movie for. If you like them, you'll like this; if not, not.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

^ I saw it a few weeks ago, and I loved it. For me growing up, Wanda was not a villain, so that required a mental adjustment, and I still hate The Ancient One as a woman. (Why do they have to fuck with canon?) It was massively entertaining. (Full disclosure, Dr. Strange was one of my favorites bitd.)

Not digging the trailer for the new Thor flick, but as he was my fave Marvel character when I bought comics (1965?-1973,) so I'll undoubtedly see it in the theater after the crowds thin out.

I saw this one this afternoon in the theater. Fun little movie that followed the true story pretty close. I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I saw this one this afternoon in the theater. Fun little movie that followed the true story pretty close. I enjoyed it.

Looks like fun, my kind of film. I'll have to turn on the subtitles, though.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    We watched Falling Down with Michael Douglas and Robert Duval. First time for my wife, but I've seen it a few times before. I think it had some very funny moments but overall still pretty dark assessment of humanity. I definitely enjoyed it - the golf course seen was both violent and funny. Duval's character was multidimensional and Douglas was convincing of someone who snapped. Yes, there was unrealistic parts of the movie but I was really along for the ride.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

How has that film aged? I imagine it would hit differently now that we're experiencing weekly mass shootings (and I realize that you're Canadian, but I would think this news would still have an impact).
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Looks like fun, my kind of film. I'll have to turn on the subtitles, though.
    Sometimes he is a bit hard to understand in the film.

Hardcore--George C. Scott. A rewatch for me, still pretty interesting. hulu

Restart The Earth--SF Chinese film, pretty decent CG visuals, but the story got pretty laughable. Hulu

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    How has that film aged? I imagine it would hit differently now that we're experiencing weekly mass shootings (and I realize that you're Canadian, but I would think this news would still have an impact).
    Yes, I think it still seems relevant. It is a case study in psychotic violence.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It is a case study in psychotic violence.
    One could argue that there's no other kind.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally