Page 191 of 397 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193194195201241291 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,775 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Iirc "There's only one thing wrong with the Jones baby....It's alive!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Sweet! I still remember the TV ads for It Lives Again, the sequel to It's Alive, from the late 70's. I was like 6 years old at the time, and that kinda messed with my head a bit. One of the last things that McDonald Carey did before he passed away (he's been dead for more than 25 yearse, but you can still hear his voice at the beginning of every episode of Days Of Our Lives) was a bit part as a judge at the beginning of It's Alive III: Island Of The Alive, which I believe also had Michael Moriarity in it.

I'll have to look for this documentary.
    Moriarty appeared in quite a few of Cohens movies, including The Stuff.

That's one of Cohens movies I could not really get on with. It didnt really work as satire for me, and I know it was low budget but the effects still looked pretty ropey, whereas for all its primitive nature the effects and gore in Q still hold up pretty well.

Sometimes I can see people dont always get Cohens movies such as the ones above, as they will inevitably be marketed as horror/monster movies, but they work on different levels

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Moriarty appeared in quite a few of Cohens movies, including The Stuff.
    Forgot that he was in The Stuff. The main thing I remember about that movie is Garrett Morris' head exploding. That and the basic premise.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    XTC - This is Pop - An excellent documentary about this totally innovative band. A ton of interviews with the original band members. Lots of anedotes and plenty of live footage of the band playing. If you like this band, you'll enjoy the documentary. Lots of views from Andy Patridge and Dave Gregory and the basist Colin Moulding.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    XTC - This is Pop - An excellent documentary about this totally innovative band. A ton of interviews with the original band members. Lots of anedotes and plenty of live footage of the band playing. If you like this band, you'll enjoy the documentary. Lots of views from Andy Patridge and Dave Gregory and the basist Colin Moulding.
    Did they do Concrete Blond?

On Edit. I did Google and before someone brings it up , yes Concrete Blond is a group. I am thouroghly confused.And unable to spell.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post

On Edit. I did Google and before someone brings it up , yes Concrete Blond is a group. I am thouroghly confused.And unable to spell.
    I have to be honest, not sure! They covered their discography and told the story of the music and aspects of their lives. Steven Wilson is interviewed for his appreciation of the band and the comedian Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns). It's really a good investment of your time.

I forget to mention - there is a few seconds of a prog reference with an brief appearance by Rick Wakeman.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I Spit On Your Grave - Deja Vu

I think I have found a candidate for worst movie ever, and worst acting. Good God this is horrible.Is supposed to be a sequel to the original.
    The original, and the remake and its sequels, are light years ahead of this partial birth celluloid abortion.Even fans of cheesy horror should
    avoid this like a covid enema!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I have to be honest, not sure! They covered their discography and told the story of the music and aspects of their lives. Steven Wilson is interviewed for his appreciation of the band and the comedian Harry Shearer (Mr. Burns). It's really a good investment of your time.

I forget to mention - there is a few seconds of a prog reference with an brief appearance by Rick Wakeman.
    Oh yes, I loved the Wakeman bit. I had to pause the DVR because I was laughing so hard about that.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar

And a very FINE group at that. What is the connection to XTC?
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    And a very FINE group at that. What is the connection to XTC?
    I had thought Concrete Blond was a hit by XTC. After Googling , well what can I say.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Ahhh
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I had thought Concrete Blond was a hit by XTC. After Googling , well what can I say.
    I believe that was Suicidal Blonde - by INXS.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I believe that was Suicidal Blonde - by INXS.
    Ahh! I'llcheck. That sounds possible.

That's the one. At least now I don't feel I had a complete mental break.

Tonight we watched a great little character drama (with slight comedy elements) called The Land Of Steady Habits, with the always excellent Ben Mendelsohn. I highly recommend it, and as an added bonus, they use the CAN song "Vitamin C" extensively in one scene.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Rampage--yes, it's outrageous, and over the top, but fun to watch. Sort of giant kaiju. TV I forget what channel

Turbo Kid--a rewatch, but still fun. Tubi TV

On Prime: Miss Sloane (2016). Stars Jessica Chastain, Mark Strong, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, John Lithgow, and Sam Waterston.

This was so much better than I anticipated. 3˝ stars.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I would add these to your list:
    Of those you listed, I've seen just over half. Most I liked. Some comments...

Annihilation. Left me underwhelmed by the end.
    Interstellar. Like you, I thought it was only okay.
    Elysium. So much potential but, meh. A rare dud for Matt Damon.
    Oblivion. Apparently, I liked it much more than you.
    Life. Was good up to a point.
    A.I. You know Kubrick gave the story to Spielberg, don't you? I wish Stanley had made it.
    Two other recent Spielberg SF movies I really liked: War of the Worlds and Minority Report.
    Looper. I used to dislike time travel stories but at some point I've been able to accept them on their own terms and I thought this was an enjoyable movie. Predestination is still the ultimate mind-fuck time travel movie, tho.

Of those on your list I haven't seen, the only one I want to is The Road.

I finally got around to seeing The Book of Eli, not too long ago. It's a post-apocalyptic movie that reminded me a lot of the Mad Max movies, none of which I liked. I liked Book of Eli, tho.

Chronicle was pretty good, for what it is: an SF movie for teens.

One neither of us mentioned is Jumper, another SF teen movie. I've seen it a few times now, and I find it enjoyable.

And if you liked Ready Player One and Tomorrowland, you should look for Sky High. It's a Disney movie but a great family movie with plenty of humor. I've seen this one 4 or 5 times and it never fails to entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Eraserhead
    Excellent movie. I first saw it in '82. The guy who took me to see it said we should see it tripping. So we did. That was a mistake. I actually walked out just before the end. I'm glad I did. I wouldn't have been able to handle it.

I've seen it quite a few times since and something no one ever mentions is how funny it is.

My favorite Lynch movie is Lost Highway. A masterpiece.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Man, I hated Spielberg's War of the Worlds - just so many cliches and Cruise is over the top. But Minority Report is very good despite a very Hollywood ending.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Man, I hated Spielberg's War of the Worlds - just so many cliches and Cruise is over the top. But Minority Report is very good despite a very Hollywood ending.
    Minority Report was a good picture. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

So do we have a list of Tom Cruise's best pictures? I mean, there was Risky Business, Legend was pretty good (at least, the version shown to American audiences is, never seen the version of with the Goldsmith score), and Minority Report, but what else?

So do we have a list of Tom Cruise's best pictures? I mean, there was Risky Business, Legend was pretty good (at least, the version shown to American audiences is, never seen the version of with the Goldsmith score), and Minority Report, but what else?
    The brilliant Collatoral with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx. Tense throughout - powerful story.

Rain Man.

Some people might say The Outsiders, but I find that movie quite dated now.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The brilliant Collatoral with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx. Tense throughout - powerful story.
    Collateral is about it really.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Rain Man.
    Damn! I forgot about Rain Man! Yeah, that's a great picture, enjoyed it very much. That's probably the best one.

For me a few that come to mind:

Color Of Money
    A Few Good Men
    The Firm
    Interview With A Vampire
    Jerry Mcguire
    Tropic Thunder (small part, but he was hilarious in it)