Page 220 of 394 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270320 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,500 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    What about old films? I like black and white cinema.
    As nycsteve pointed out, there's a thread devoted to them: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...read.php/17325

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    My GF and I watched Enola Holmes the other night.
    I've had that on my watch list for quite a while but haven't pulled the trigger, yet. Good to know it's good.

Did you ever check out Emily in Paris? I think you were the one that showed interest in it. It's a really good couple's show that is sometimes funny.

Also watched 12 Angry Men with my daughter over the weekend, which neither of us had ever seen. Very impressive on so many levels. A great job by Lumet to give it a more claustrophobic feel as the film progressed. Great performances by a great cast.
    Never heard of it. Is it any good? Who's in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    A classic, and the first of two occasions where Lee J. Cobb's character would later be played by George C. Scott (The Exorcist III being the other). Cobb was a great actor, not mentioned as often as he should be.
    Yeah, he really is one of those non-stars who kinda flew under the radar but was capable of doing anything. Looking over his filmography, we was in a bunch of pre-1960 movies almost none of which I've seen. Of those I have, there's Call Northside 777, On the Waterfront (a movie I really need to see again), and The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit. He also played Joanne Woodward's doctor in The Three Faces of Eve, a movie I've never had the opportunity to see (I really need to rectify that). In fact, in most of his movies it looks like he usually played either a doctor or a cop.

I just read that his daughter, who didn't have close to the career he did, was the only female "redshirt" to be killed in the original Star Trek. Now there's an interesting bit of trivia.

She also played an unrequited love interest of Greg's in the Brady Bunch.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Interestingly, there's a reference to The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit in 12 Angry Men.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched Papillon last night, partly to see the late Gregory Sierra, but mostly because I had forgotten much of that great film.

Later in the night, Faults (2014) was on TV. I had wanted to see that since I saw The Art of Self Defense (2019) by the same director, Riley Stearns. I would recommend both to anyone who likes oddball, but interesting and dark, comedy dramas. Faults (w/Mary Elizabeth Winstead) is not about earthquakes. It is about cults and deprogramming cultists. The Art of Self Defense (w/Jesse Eisenberg) is about the dark side of self-defense instruction.

Papillon is always a great one. I happened to catch the 2nd half of it again on some movie channel a few weeks ago. Hoffman and McQueen were amazing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    As nycsteve pointed out, there's a thread devoted to them: https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...read.php/17325

I've had that on my watch list for quite a while but haven't pulled the trigger, yet. Good to know it's good.

Did you ever check out Emily in Paris? I think you were the one that showed interest in it. It's a really good couple's show that is sometimes funny.

Never heard of it. Is it any good? Who's in it?

Yeah, he really is one of those non-stars who kinda flew under the radar but was capable of doing anything. Looking over his filmography, we was in a bunch of pre-1960 movies almost none of which I've seen. Of those I have, there's Call Northside 777, On the Waterfront (a movie I really need to see again), and The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit. He also played Joanne Woodward's doctor in The Three Faces of Eve, a movie I've never had the opportunity to see (I really need to rectify that). In fact, in most of his movies it looks like he usually played either a doctor or a cop.

I just read that his daughter, who didn't have close to the career he did, was the only female "redshirt" to be killed in the original Star Trek. Now there's an interesting bit of trivia.

She also played an unrequited love interest of Greg's in the Brady Bunch.

As for the movie Twelve Angry Men , if you were serious about not seeing it , please do. You will not be dissappointed. Twelve great actors , headed by Henry Fonda. Check IMDB for the rest. My wifes favorite.

For those of you with HBO Max: Here Are All the 2021 Warner Bros Movies That Will Be Released on HBO Max

If you're unaware, Warners is releasing those movies in the theater and on HBO simultaneously.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

For those of you with HBO Max: Here Are All the 2021 Warner Bros Movies That Will Be Released on HBO Max

If you're unaware, Warners is releasing those movies in the theater and on HBO simultaneously.
    Oooooh, the new Dune!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yeah, that's the one that jumped out at me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think the one with Denzel Washington coming out this Friday looks good, too.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    If anybody's interested in someone's list of the best cult films:

The 50 Best Cult Movies

Was surprised that I'd seen most of them.

Nice list.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I think the one with Denzel Washington coming out this Friday looks good, too.
    Denzel just doesn't make bad movies.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Last night we watched Metallica - S&M2. Not bad. Our library seldom gets new concert DVDs, so it was good to find this one there. I particularly enjoyed the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra part of the program. Not that I disliked the Metallica concert. Still have to find time to watch the special features part of the DVD.

We watched "Jo Jo Rabbit" for the first time tonight. I remember being curious about it when it came out a few years ago, but never saw it. We enjoyed it, and it was certainly different.

If anybody's interested in someone's list of the best cult films:

The 50 Best Cult Movies
    From that list, my faves - and the only ones I'll continue to rewatch - would be (in descending order):
    The Thing
    Escape From New York
    Eraserhead
    Donnie Darko
    Dazed and Confused
    The Warriors
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Reservoir Dogs
    Brazil

And with the exception of the first three, I wouldn't necessarily watch any of them just because I happened to run across them on TV. I'd have to be in the mood to see them.

And as for those first three, the only one I feel a need to see periodically is The Thing. I think I've averaged about a viewing (in part or whole) every other year since it was released. That movie is utterly brilliant, imo.

Denzel just doesn't make bad movies.
    He's had his share of stinkers, like The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3, remake, The Bone Collector, Fallen and Heart Condition
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    He's had his share of stinkers, like The Taking of Pelham 1,2,3, remake, The Bone Collector, Fallen and Heart Condition
    We'll have to disagree. I liked Pelham, The Bone Collector and especially Fallen.

We'll have to disagree. I liked Pelham, The Bone Collector and especially Fallen.
    Agree
    Ian

Agree with Scott Bails . Fallen was quite cool. Pelham was more than adequite , as was Bone Collector. I dont remember Heart Condition.
    An excellet DW pic thats under the radar is Devil in A Blue DRess, 1995 I think.

The cult movie thing got me to wondering, what movies have you seen at least 10x? And you may include partial viewings, where you saw at least 2/3 of it.

and especially Fallen.
    Absolutely.

Watched an interesting film that I guess I would call sci-fi called "The Endless" on Netflix tonight. It was one of those films that I had to go to YouTube for some interpretation videos afterwards, but I dug it. The film definitely has a Lovecraft quality to it. Apparently this is a sequel to the film "Resolution" which was done by the same directors, although I have not seen that one yet. I will need to seek it out.
    Last edited by SteveSly; 01-27-2021 at 10:03 PM.

Was getting pissed off at the list, but then came to this:

4. This Is Spinal Tap
    “Hello, Cleveland!”

“What’s wrong with being sexy?”

“These go to 11.”

“How could I leave this behind?”

“You can’t really dust for vomit.”

“Shit Sandwich.”

Again, I could do this all day; until the day I die, I will do this all day. This Is Spinal Tap—starring the immortal and armadillo-trouser’d trio of Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, and Harry Shearer, all of whom cowrote it alongside suavely ballcap’d director Rob Reiner—is the silliest and stupidest and truest rock ’n’ roll movie ever made, and very arguably the funniest movie ever made, full stop. Every last line is quotable enough to be carved into granite. It is a masterpiece in D-minor, the saddest of all keys. It is a majestic tidal wave of lukewarm water. There is none more black. It is a monolith worthy of, yes, Stonehenge. Yes, I’m still doing this. No, I’ll never stop. —Harvilla

Don't give me a list of cult movies and not give it up to Spinal Tap. Just, don't. I was so ready reading that to get pissed of but it came in at #4. Armadillos In Our Trousers is going to be the name of my next band. It's so perfectly ridiculous, the movie and the band name, that it's, well, perfect.

Stonehenge, where a man is a man and the pipes of pan. Rockumentary. Lick My Love Pump. None more blacker. Electric Banana. 14 people in a leisure bed. It's a fine line between stupid and clever. That commercial, where the train runs under the counter, that was mine - Gods, you really do have to be old to get that one.....

I find it the funniest movie I've ever seen, even topping Monty Python And The Holy Grail or Life Of Brian. Brian, who is called Brian.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Was getting pissed off at the list, but then came to this:

4. This Is Spinal Tap
    “Hello, Cleveland!”

“What’s wrong with being sexy?”

“These go to 11.”

“How could I leave this behind?”

“You can’t really dust for vomit.”

“Shit Sandwich.”

Again, I could do this all day; until the day I die, I will do this all day. This Is Spinal Tap—starring the immortal and armadillo-trouser’d trio of Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, and Harry Shearer, all of whom cowrote it alongside suavely ballcap’d director Rob Reiner—is the silliest and stupidest and truest rock ’n’ roll movie ever made, and very arguably the funniest movie ever made, full stop. Every last line is quotable enough to be carved into granite. It is a masterpiece in D-minor, the saddest of all keys. It is a majestic tidal wave of lukewarm water. There is none more black. It is a monolith worthy of, yes, Stonehenge. Yes, I’m still doing this. No, I’ll never stop. —Harvilla

Don't give me a list of cult movies and not give it up to Spinal Tap. Just, don't. I was so ready reading that to get pissed of but it came in at #4. Armadillos In Our Trousers is going to be the name of my next band. It's so perfectly ridiculous, the movie and the band name, that it's, well, perfect.

Stonehenge, where a man is a man and the pipes of pan. Rockumentary. Lick My Love Pump. None more blacker. Electric Banana. 14 people in a leisure bed. It's a fine line between stupid and clever. That commercial, where the train runs under the counter, that was mine - Gods, you really do have to be old to get that one.....

I find it the funniest movie I've ever seen, even topping Monty Python And The Holy Grail or Life Of Brian. Brian, who is called Brian.
    I highly recommend checking out The Rutles, if you have not seen it. It's very much in the same vein as Spinal Tap.

It's a spin off from an early 70's UK TV show called Rutland Weekend Television, which starred Eric Edle and Neil Innes. One of the sketches was a Beatles parody called The Rutles. Idle decided to expand this into a mock documentary very much echoing The Beatles story...very cleverly so.

The cast in this is incredible, with loads of musicians playing themselves such as Mick Jagger (and Bianca), Paul Simon, George Harrison, and as it was a co production with Saturday Night Live and Lorne Michaels, you also get appearances from Bill Murray, John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd and Gilda Radner.

And its on youtube for free...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqca4qLzBDE
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I loved Fallen. Very chilling. The others were fine movies too. He is usually the bright light in an otherwise m’eh movie. Though I never saw Heart Condition. The real clunker that I saw was Man On Fire.

Unstoppable is another great Denzel film with a real simple plot. There is an unmanned runaway freight train heading towards population in rural PA.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    I loved Fallen. Very chilling. The others were fine movies too. He is usually the bright light in an otherwise m’eh movie. Though I never saw Heart Condition. The real clunker that I saw was Man On Fire.

Unstoppable is another great Denzel film with a real simple plot. There is an unmanned runaway freight train heading towards population in rural PA.

I really liked Man On Fire.