Page 321 of 394 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331371 ... LastLast
Results 8,001 to 8,025 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Saw an old favorite yesterday, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eigth Dimension. Absolutely gobsmacking cast of people mostly unknown at the time: Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, Ellen Barkin, Christopher Lloyd, and a bunch of less-known people. Alas, the return on the first movie did not justify putting out their rapidly-increasing salaries for the proposed sequel (Buckaroo Banzai against the World Crime League), but this one is close to my heart. Great, silly plot; lots of quotable "is it deep or silly or both" statements ("Wherever you go, there you are;" "Home is where you wear your hat," "History is made at night," "Character is who you are in the dark"etc.).

Yes, it's silly, but it's also great fun; it's sort of an updated version of Doc Savage. Plus aliens.
    I like that one a lot. It’s great, silly fun. Sometimes that’s all I need from a movie.

Wish there could have been a sequel.

Look who I ran across in an old movie:

Any guesses who it is?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^No idea but he's a weird looking motherfucker.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Any guesses who it is?
    Is it the chief of police from the Pink Panther movies?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Any guesses who it is?
    Jim Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Is it the chief of police from the Pink Panther movies?
    Lom??

Yep! Herbert Lom in 1944. Looks young, doesn't he? Something I hadn't known before is that he was Czechoslovakian.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Yep! Herbert Lom in 1944. Looks young, doesn't he? Something I hadn't known before is that he was Czechoslovakian.
    He does look young, almost debonaire. For a split second I thought it was James Mason but then I clued in.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

In Hotel Reserve , which you posted in the BW thread?

Now your kids can be intellectually stimulated playing this game while also potentially summoning "Pinhead", who will tear their souls apart. Awesome!

Yes, the game is real.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    In Hotel Reserve , which you posted in the BW thread?
    Yep. He was the only other known actor, besides James Mason.

We watched Belfast today, which was very well done and quite touching without being syrupy. It was a perfect late afternoon movie.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Jim Parsons

Now your kids can be intellectually stimulated playing this game while also potentially summoning "Pinhead", who will tear their souls apart. Awesome!

Yes, the game is real.
    Ouija board sales were way down...

Yes, the game is real.
    It looks like it could be the box for the Gom Jabbar test - have fun kids
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It looks like it could be the box for the Gom Jabbar test - have fun kids
    It's the puzzle box from the movie Hellraiser:

And its interminable sequels. The first two were excellent, but they went downhill very quickly after that...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

...called the Lament Configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    And its interminable sequels. The first two were excellent, but they went downhill very quickly after that...
    The fourth film, Hellraiser: Bloodline, is very good. Avoid Hellraiser III and everything after Bloodline.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    The fourth film, Hellraiser: Bloodline, is very good. Avoid Hellraiser III and everything after Bloodline.
    I never saw any after the second one, which I thought was mediocre. Hell, I didn't even think the first one was all that good. It had a cool premise, yes, and Pinhead is ultra-cool but I would never recommend either of them.

First two Hellraiser movies are classics. Clive Barker is so delightfully twisted. Other essential Barker...

Lord of Illusions
    Nightbreed (uncut)
    Midnight Meat Train
    Candyman

And I'll always have a soft spot for the ridiculous Raw Head Rex
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    First two Hellraiser movies are classics. Clive Barker is so delightfully twisted. Other essential Barker...

Lord of Illusions
    Nightbreed (uncut)
    Midnight Meat Train
    Candyman

And I'll always have a soft spot for the ridiculous Raw Head Rex
    All cool movie, with Lord of Illusions and The Midnight Meat Train at the top for me.

I never saw any after the second one, which I thought was mediocre. Hell, I didn't even think the first one was all that good. It had a cool premise, yes, and Pinhead is ultra-cool but I would never recommend either of them.
    The late '80s wasn't a great time for horror cinema and I've never had a jones for the Nightmare franchise the way most do. But we got two flawed gems in 1987/88: Hellraiser and Phantasm II.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    The late '80s wasn't a great time for horror cinema and I've never had a jones for the Nightmare franchise the way most do. But we got two flawed gems in 1987/88: Hellraiser and Phantasm II.
    And From Beyond, Re-Animator, and The Beyond (Fulci) among some others.

I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox an animated film that came from the Roald Dahl book. George Clooney did well in the feature role. Fairly breezy fun film, with a good soundtrack. Free on YT.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    And From Beyond, Re-Animator, and The Beyond (Fulci) among some others.[/URL]
    I love 'em, but those movies were a little earlier, and The Beyond showed up in 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I watched Fantastic Mr. Fox an animated film that came from the Roald Dahl book. George Clooney did well in the feature role. Fairly breezy fun film, with a good soundtrack. Free on YT.
    That is my favorite movie made from a Roald Dahl children's book... the animation is so quirky but perfect for the story.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.