Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    It Follows is another great 80s synthy 80s horror throwback.
    Definitely
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

To Be Or Not To Be was on again, so I watched it again. Nothing new, still a funny movie. Jack Benny was one of the funniest comedy performers ever. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I think Purple Rose of Cairo is close to perfection...
    Saw that movie a couple times in the theater. Loved it. Danny Aiello is so good in it.

My favorite Allen movie is Hannah and Her Sisters, tho. Diane Wiest and Michael Caine both won well-deserved Oscars for their roles. And Max Von Sydow is brilliant as always. I think I saw that one four or five times in the theater.

My other two faves are Annie Hall & Manhattan. Still can't decide which I like better. AH is funnier but Manhattan is gorgeous to look at with cinematography by the maestro Gordon Willis.

I've only seen six or seven of his movies after Hannah, all of which didn't impress me.

Manhattan has my favorite bit of dialogue - and line! - in a WA movie:

MM: You are so self-righteous. I mean, we're just people. We're just human beings. You think you're God!
    WA: I gotta model myself after someone.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    so, I was thinking about films with Kirk Douglas and my favorites...
    one of his early films where he plays a mob boss Out Of The Past is great. Also Seven Days In May is a great one

anyone else have any other favorites?
    I can only think of two:
    Paths of Glory, due entirely to being a great Stanley Kubrick film.
    Seven Days in May, due entirely to being a great John Frankenheimer movie and for Burt Lancaster's performance.

Of the greats from the Golden Age of Hollywood, Kirk Douglas was not a favorite. Indeed, seeing his name in the credits usually has me avoiding the movie. The only two other actors from that era that I avoid just as much are Gary Cooper and Glenn Ford.

I did think he was good in Out of the Past, tho. I just didn't care for the ending of that movie.
    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.

I liked Ulysses a lot when I was a kid.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Scare Campaign 2019
    Caught this on Prime last night. Story about a fledgling reality show that sets up elaborate hoaxes to scare an unsuspecting stooge. Ratings are falling
    due to the extreme antics of the You Tube crowd. Producer tells them to up their game or be cancelled. Gives them one last shot. Staff takes the challenge to heart,
    and then all hell breaks loose during the filming. Pretty good for a low budget horror film. Methinks Mr Klonk would appreciate this one!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Ford vs Ferrari tonight, really entertaining and really well done, pretty sad story for Ken Miles.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ma (2019)

Entertaining good but bad horror movie
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Watching.....The Mole People.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Sounds dark and dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Caught the middle of that one. To many commercials and Svengulie sucks , so I had to switch. Did any females show up? All I saw was Ward Cleaver and guys in pointy hats. Oh , and some mole people.

I fell asleep. Svengoulie is sort of a poor man's MST3K.

Judy. Excellent move about the last year or so of Judy Garlands life, where she relocated to London to find work as she was uninsurable in the US and could not work. She had become unreliable, was drinking heavily and was going through complicated divorce procedures and needed money.

It's a powerhouse performance from Renee Zellweger, who is fast becoming this generations Meryl Streep.

There are some flashbacks to her early years on the series of Wizard Of Oz. But it's not a standard biopic showing the highlights of her life. The structure is similar to the recent Stan and Ollie movie. The focus is firmly on her final years.

I liked Stan and Ollie. Its better than its rep.

Watched most of When Worlds Collide yesterday evening. Unfortunately, the DVR ran out of space and cut off the end, so I have to watch the rest of it on the TCM website.

Or not. It doesn't appear to be on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Watched most of When Worlds Collide yesterday evening. Unfortunately, the DVR ran out of space and cut off the end, so I have to watch the rest of it on the TCM website.

Or not. It doesn't appear to be on the website.
    Jesus, dude, if it was a snake it would have bit you: http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/16508
    I'm sick of wearing pants and having responsibilities.