Page 178 of 397 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228278 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,450 of 9904

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    It Follows is another great 80s synthy 80s horror throwback.
    Definitely
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

To Be Or Not To Be was on again, so I watched it again. Nothing new, still a funny movie. Jack Benny was one of the funniest comedy performers ever. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I think Purple Rose of Cairo is close to perfection...
    Saw that movie a couple times in the theater. Loved it. Danny Aiello is so good in it.

My favorite Allen movie is Hannah and Her Sisters, tho. Diane Wiest and Michael Caine both won well-deserved Oscars for their roles. And Max Von Sydow is brilliant as always. I think I saw that one four or five times in the theater.

My other two faves are Annie Hall & Manhattan. Still can't decide which I like better. AH is funnier but Manhattan is gorgeous to look at with cinematography by the maestro Gordon Willis.

I've only seen six or seven of his movies after Hannah, all of which didn't impress me.

Manhattan has my favorite bit of dialogue - and line! - in a WA movie:

MM: You are so self-righteous. I mean, we're just people. We're just human beings. You think you're God!
    WA: I gotta model myself after someone.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    so, I was thinking about films with Kirk Douglas and my favorites...
    one of his early films where he plays a mob boss Out Of The Past is great. Also Seven Days In May is a great one

anyone else have any other favorites?
    I can only think of two:
    Paths of Glory, due entirely to being a great Stanley Kubrick film.
    Seven Days in May, due entirely to being a great John Frankenheimer movie and for Burt Lancaster's performance.

Of the greats from the Golden Age of Hollywood, Kirk Douglas was not a favorite. Indeed, seeing his name in the credits usually has me avoiding the movie. The only two other actors from that era that I avoid just as much are Gary Cooper and Glenn Ford.

I did think he was good in Out of the Past, tho. I just didn't care for the ending of that movie.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I liked Ulysses a lot when I was a kid.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Scare Campaign 2019
    Caught this on Prime last night. Story about a fledgling reality show that sets up elaborate hoaxes to scare an unsuspecting stooge. Ratings are falling
    due to the extreme antics of the You Tube crowd. Producer tells them to up their game or be cancelled. Gives them one last shot. Staff takes the challenge to heart,
    and then all hell breaks loose during the filming. Pretty good for a low budget horror film. Methinks Mr Klonk would appreciate this one!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Ford vs Ferrari tonight, really entertaining and really well done, pretty sad story for Ken Miles.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ma (2019)

Entertaining good but bad horror movie
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Watching.....The Mole People.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Sounds dark and dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Caught the middle of that one. To many commercials and Svengulie sucks , so I had to switch. Did any females show up? All I saw was Ward Cleaver and guys in pointy hats. Oh , and some mole people.

I fell asleep. Svengoulie is sort of a poor man's MST3K.

Judy. Excellent move about the last year or so of Judy Garlands life, where she relocated to London to find work as she was uninsurable in the US and could not work. She had become unreliable, was drinking heavily and was going through complicated divorce procedures and needed money.

It's a powerhouse performance from Renee Zellweger, who is fast becoming this generations Meryl Streep.

There are some flashbacks to her early years on the series of Wizard Of Oz. But it's not a standard biopic showing the highlights of her life. The structure is similar to the recent Stan and Ollie movie. The focus is firmly on her final years.

I liked Stan and Ollie. Its better than its rep.

Watched most of When Worlds Collide yesterday evening. Unfortunately, the DVR ran out of space and cut off the end, so I have to watch the rest of it on the TCM website.

Or not. It doesn't appear to be on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Watched most of When Worlds Collide yesterday evening. Unfortunately, the DVR ran out of space and cut off the end, so I have to watch the rest of it on the TCM website.

Or not. It doesn't appear to be on the website.
    Jesus, dude, if it was a snake it would have bit you: http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/16508
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Jesus, dude, if it was a snake it would have bit you: http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/titles/16508
    OK, that wasn't there when I checked, unless they have listed under some category other than "sci-fi/horror".

Edit: OK, so how did you actually find that? I just tried searching for it again, again looking under "sci-fi/horror" and it's still not listed there.

Unfortunately, the DVR ran out of space and cut off the end
    Man, either your DVR is ancient or you have WAY too much shit recorded up on it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Man, either your DVR is ancient or you have WAY too much shit recorded up on it.
    The latter, definitely. I've got way too much stuff recorded, and not enough time to watch it all. I've got stuff from the Olympics on the thing, still. The 2010 Olympics. I've got that Ring Cycle that PBS showed a few years ago, and I don't know how many movies.

OK, that wasn't there when I checked, unless they have listed under some category other than "sci-fi/horror".

Edit: OK, so how did you actually find that? I just tried searching for it again, again looking under "sci-fi/horror" and it's still not listed there.
    Don't select a genre.

As I discovered yesterday, TCM's on demand site is terrible; I was reading complaints from 5 years ago, so they've had problems for years. Yesterday, I was trying to watch Ice Station Zebra, and even tho it was listed, it wouldn't play for over an hour and a half. In fact, there were about seven movies listed that wouldn't play. It's as if they update the list of movies first and then load those movies onto their server, when they should be doing that backwards. For me it was no big deal since I ended up watching Papillon first.

As for finding a movie, since you knew what you were looking for in this case, just do what I do: on the page with all the movies listed don't pick a genre. Instead, type Ctrl+F and in the window that pops up at the bottom of your browser type the word "collide" and you'll be taken right to the link. You could also type the whole title but if there's a word in it that's unique (e.g. "collide"), type just that one and it'll save you some typing. In fact, in some cases, you don't even need to type a whole word. For instance, say you were searching for Casablanca. Type "casa" and you'll go right to it. The same for Papillon. All you need to type is "papi". And, in fact, if you were searching for Ice Station Zebra, just typing the letter "z" will take you to it. Try it.

FYI, Ctrl+F is a search command that works in all sorts of things for PCs. It works in word processing documents, PDFs, and webpages. So, for example, say you wanted to re-read someone's post from a day or two ago and they mentioned something specific but you can't remember exactly when they posted. Rather than hunt for it, go back a page or two or three, however many necessary, type Ctrl+F, and then type a specific word (or their moniker) and it will take you right to that post; if they've posted more than once on that page, hit the "enter" key and you'll go to their next post. I use Ctrl+F numerous times on a weekly basis, but usually on other sites; rarely on this one.

But as to why you couldn't find that movie in the list of horror/sci-fi movies, for some stupid reason When Worlds Collide is listed as "undefined" for the genre. I just finished looking over the list and I found a handful of other movies where the genre is fucked up, including The Firm and Bull Durham; all are listed as "undefined". What's even more stupid is that two of them are listed as an "adaptation", which isn't even a choice of genre in the drop down list. One of them is True Grit which, if you were looking only at westerns, you'd miss it.

The thing I find most irritating about TCM's site is that when you see something interesting and want to read about it first, you have to click on the title box, which then takes you to the page with the list of director, actors, synopsis, etc. But there's two problems with that: (1) you can't right-click on it and open it in a new tab or window and (2) when you're done reading about it and want to go back to the previous page, the site doesn't remember where you were and you're sent to the beginning of the list. I have never seen a site that does shit like that. None of these do: Netflix, Prime, ESPN, HBO, et al. And even if you do click on something on one of those sites that opens to a new page, if you click the back button on your browser, it takes you back to the list but with the movie you just clicked on, first in the list, meaning you haven't lost your place as you scroll through all the shows.

TCM's website acts like it's run by first year computer science students; it's so amateurish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Don't select a genre.

As I discovered yesterday, TCM's on demand site is terrible; I was reading complaints from 5 years ago, so they've had problems for years. Yesterday, I was trying to watch Ice Station Zebra, and even tho it was listed, it wouldn't play for over an hour and a half. In fact, there were about seven movies listed that wouldn't play. It's as if they update the list of movies first and then load those movies onto their server, when they should be doing that backwards. For me it was no big deal since I ended up watching Papillon first.

As for finding a movie, since you knew what you were looking for in this case, just do what I do: on the page with all the movies listed don't pick a genre. Instead, type Ctrl+F and in the window that pops up at the bottom of your browser type the word "collide" and you'll be taken right to the link. You could also type the whole title but if there's a word in it that's unique (e.g. "collide"), type just that one and it'll save you some typing. In fact, in some cases, you don't even need to type a whole word. For instance, say you were searching for Casablanca. Type "casa" and you'll go right to it. The same for Papillon. All you need to type is "papi". And, in fact, if you were searching for Ice Station Zebra, just typing the letter "z" will take you to it. Try it.

FYI, Ctrl+F is a search command that works in all sorts of things for PCs. It works in word processing documents, PDFs, and webpages. So, for example, say you wanted to re-read someone's post from a day or two ago and they mentioned something specific but you can't remember exactly when they posted. Rather than hunt for it, go back a page or two or three, however many necessary, type Ctrl+F, and then type a specific word (or their moniker) and it will take you right to that post; if they've posted more than once on that page, hit the "enter" key and you'll go to their next post. I use Ctrl+F numerous times on a weekly basis, but usually on other sites; rarely on this one.

But as to why you couldn't find that movie in the list of horror/sci-fi movies, for some stupid reason When Worlds Collide is listed as "undefined" for the genre. I just finished looking over the list and I found a handful of other movies where the genre is fucked up, including The Firm and Bull Durham; all are listed as "undefined". What's even more stupid is that two of them are listed as an "adaptation", which isn't even a choice of genre in the drop down list. One of them is True Grit which, if you were looking only at westerns, you'd miss it.

The thing I find most irritating about TCM's site is that when you see something interesting and want to read about it first, you have to click on the title box, which then takes you to the page with the list of director, actors, synopsis, etc. But there's two problems with that: (1) you can't right-click on it and open it in a new tab or window and (2) when you're done reading about it and want to go back to the previous page, the site doesn't remember where you were and you're sent to the beginning of the list. I have never seen a site that does shit like that. None of these do: Netflix, Prime, ESPN, HBO, et al. And even if you do click on something on one of those sites that opens to a new page, if you click the back button on your browser, it takes you back to the list but with the movie you just clicked on, first in the list, meaning you haven't lost your place as you scroll through all the shows.

TCM's website acts like it's run by first year computer science students; it's so amateurish.
    Thanks for all that. Yeah, it sound like they need to fire their webmasters. I wonder how a movie ends up getting listed in "undefined", especially something that won an Academy Award, and is being shown as part of their "31 Days Of Oscar". Seems to me like they someone's not doing their job right (shrug). I'll have to remember that ctrl+F thing.

For the record, I was actually expecting to be home in time to watch When Worlds Collide "live" on Thursday night, but I got waylaid at work, unexpectedly, and didn't get home til after the movie was already over.

I wonder how a movie ends up getting listed in "undefined", especially something that won an Academy Award, and is being shown as part of their "31 Days Of Oscar". Seems to me like they someone's not doing their job right (shrug)
    Anther thing I thought of is that the site's run by a company/webmaster that is in another country where they know nothing of the movie. I suppose the same could be said for someone in their 20s. But given how they get it right for old B&W movies, that doesn't explain it.

I suspect, tho, that if a person forgot to type in the genre, the system automatically designates it as undefined.

The latter, definitely. I've got way too much stuff recorded, and not enough time to watch it all. I've got stuff from the Olympics on the thing, still. The 2010 Olympics. I've got that Ring Cycle that PBS showed a few years ago, and I don't know how many movies.
    Someone needs to go all Marie Kondo on your DVR. 2010 was a Winter Games so unless you've got footage of a Swedish downhill racer splitting the seams on her spandex pants, delete that shit now!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Dead Like Me is one my all time faves.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Thanks for all that. Yeah, it sound like they need to fire their webmasters. I wonder how a movie ends up getting listed in "undefined", especially something that won an Academy Award, and is being shown as part of their "31 Days Of Oscar". Seems to me like they someone's not doing their job right (shrug). I'll have to remember that ctrl+F thing.

For the record, I was actually expecting to be home in time to watch When Worlds Collide "live" on Thursday night, but I got waylaid at work, unexpectedly, and didn't get home til after the movie was already over.
    I had a slightly similar issue on Amazon Prime recently in the UK.

Last week I was using the search function to see if a particular movie was available on the site and by pure chance came across the new Watchmen TV series. Now bear in mind I check regularly for new content and also check the various categories for movies and TV, particularly sci fi and fantasy related. But this series did not feature anywhere on the main pages.

I believe it was first put up back in October, but even So...I would have though it would have been more prominent .

Finished watching When Worlds Collide. Good picture. Great special effects, easy to see why it won the Oscar.