Page 87 of 394 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    They're calling it a re-imagining , not a remake.

A lot of extra stuff added, not a slasher movie, like Argentos.
    I'll check it out for sure. We are usually on the same page.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We watched Venom last night. Something new from MCU. I went in knowing nothing about it beforehand. Quite a high-action trip. Recommended if you like Marvel movies.

Baby Driver--I had reservations about watching this movie expecting pretty much a teen action, fluffy, popcorn movie, which it was, but also found it pretty entertaining. It's worth a watch if you don't mind that type thing.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Polar

Netflix original film about an agency of hit men. (and women) Mandatory retirement occurs at age 50, as they want
    their employees to remain sharp. Retirement comes with a company pension. What happens when the company
    decides that it is better for their bottom line for the retiree to die, rather than fund the pension? Gritty, and very violent.
    I enjoyed this one a lot!
    Watched it last night, pretty good, the torture scene really made me squirm, gruesome.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Baby Driver--I had reservations about watching this movie expecting pretty much a teen action, fluffy, popcorn movie, which it was, but also found it pretty entertaining. It's worth a watch if you don't mind that type thing.
    You mean someone named a movie after a Kiss song (one written by Peter Criss, no less)?!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You mean someone named a movie after a Kiss song (one written by Peter Criss, no less)?!
    I think Simon and Garfunkel beat Kiss to it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I think Simon and Garfunkel beat Kiss to it
    Yeah, but "You mean they named a movie after a Simon and Garfunkel song" isn't funny.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    But to be honest, I'm hazy about a lot of that Reagan era stuff, beyond the business about James Baker banning The Beach Boys from performing a Fourth Of July concert in DC, only to be unilaterally overruled by Reagan himself (who apparently was a fan, somehow). .
    James Watt, Secretary of the Interior.
    He brought in Wayne Newton instead.

Upgrade

Good fun! Definitely overhyped by my buds, but I'd recommend it if you're a fan of Black Mirror-ish type of stuff.

re: The Beach Boy sbeing fired from the Washington DC Fourth Of July concert in whichever year it was:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    James Watt, Secretary of the Interior.
    He brought in Wayne Newton instead.
    Yes, you are correct. I remember Not Necessarily The News doing a parody, where they showed the Beach BOys playing to a packed house in Atlantic City or someplace like that, on the Fourth Of July, then they cut to Wayne Newton playing in DC, playing to an audience of zero.

I still can't believe Ronald and Nancy were Beach Boys fans. One imagines they were probably weren't fans of Pet Sounds or anything that came after it, though.

Anyway, James Baker, I believe, was the guy who personally went to Czechsolovakia, on behalf of President Bush I, to tell Vaclav Havel that "You can do business with Frank Zappa, or you can do business with the United States" (Frank's words, explaining how his brief carreer in politics came to an end).

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The 2018 Suspiria is one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen.
    What didn't you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    the torture scene really made me squirm, gruesome.
    Yeah, that was pretty brutal!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty brutal!
    Art the Clown (Terrifier) laughs at this statement

Saw Polar based on your rec and really enjoyed it! Good way to blow off two hours if hitman flicks are your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Art the Clown (Terrifier) laughs at this statement

Saw Polar based on your rec and really enjoyed it! Good way to blow off two hours if hitman flicks are your thing.
    You should also check out Ninja Assassin Orphaned children are snatched up and made to study to be Ninjas. Way over the top violence
    and action. A throwback to the martial arts films of old, when one man can take on dozens. In English too!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Amazon not releasing Woody Allen's latest movie. Without getting into the reasons why (because I just don't really care about that), I'll be bummed if this never sees the light of day, because I think a Woody Allen movie called "A Rainy Day in New York" sounds really good to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47163944

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Amazon not releasing Woody Allen's latest movie. Without getting into the reasons why (because I just don't really care about that), I'll be bummed if this never sees the light of day, because I think a Woody Allen movie called "A Rainy Day in New York" sounds really good to me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47163944
    Amazon getting cold feet because of recent events. Were there legal contracts?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Watched Girl In THe Spiders Web. American version. Decent movie that tries for the same feel as the first American one. Although the first is better. New cast . 7 of 10. FWIW my wife didn't like it , " moves as fast as a turtle with a car on its back" . I didn't think it was all that slow.

After watching both Fyre Festival docs, imo Hulu's is far better & way more insightful than Netflix's. YMMV
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Black Mama, White Mama: Pam Grier and Margaret Markov play two women who escape from a Filipino women's prison, chained together. Yeah, it's a dumb movie, but highly entertaining, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Watched Girl In THe Spiders Web. American version. Decent movie that tries for the same feel as the first American one. Although the first is better. New cast . 7 of 10. FWIW my wife didn't like it , " moves as fast as a turtle with a car on its back" . I didn't think it was all that slow.
    Given the success of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I've always wondered why they didn't finish the sequel. Since they didn't, I watched the Swedish trilogy. The first movie was just as good as the American version. Noomi Rapace was just as good at playing Lisbeth Salander as Rooney Mara was but I liked Daniel Craig better than his Swedish counterpart. Over all, I thought the Swedish trilogy was great. IIRC, I didn't think the 2nd movie was quite as good as the first but the 3rd was... and maybe better. If you don't mind subtitles, you may want to look for it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Black Mama, White Mama: Pam Grier and Margaret Markov play two women who escape from a Filipino women's prison, chained together. Yeah, it's a dumb movie, but highly entertaining, I thought.
    The question is how much nudity is in it?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Given the success of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I've always wondered why they didn't finish the sequel. Since they didn't, I watched the Swedish trilogy. The first movie was just as good as the American version. Noomi Rapace was just as good at playing Lisbeth Salander as Rooney Mara was but I liked Daniel Craig better than his Swedish counterpart. Over all, I thought the Swedish trilogy was great. IIRC, I didn't think the 2nd movie was quite as good as the first but the 3rd was... and maybe better. If you don't mind subtitles, you may want to look for it.
    I've been meaning to check these out for years, now. I was hoping for the sequels to the American film, as well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post

We watched that also last night.

Entertaining, but so over the top.

It was like watching a Mission Impossible movie. not that there's anything wrong with that.

I loved the Swedish trilogy though
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Swedish trilogy was brilliant.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The question is how much nudity is in it?
    There's a scene where all the prisoners are showering (while one of the matrons is watching them through a hole int he wall, pleasuring herself in the process). Later, Grier and Markov are put in "the oven" (a big metal box), naked. Then much later in the movie, a crime boss that Grier's character has stolen money from is seen in his palatial estate, surrounded by nubile, and yes, naked, Filipino women.

So, not much nudity, in general, but still a fun movie to watch. This also has possibly the worst death by gunshot moment I've seen in a movie, where someone is shot, you see the squib explode, and then an appreciable delay, at least a couple seconds, before the person collapses.