Page 325 of 394 FirstFirst ... 225275315321322323324325326327328329335375 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,125 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Top Gun: Maverick (2022) - Great sequel. Kinda wish I could remember more of the original Top Gun, but it's been a long time since I saw it. Just looked at some of the filming locations, such as Washoe Meadows State Park and Lake Tahoe Airport in South Lake Tahoe, California. They blew up the airport in the movie (aren't special effects great?). And, of course, Fallon Naval Air Station in Nevada. IMDB is wildly specific about the location of Penny's house. Cool action flick, to be sure.
    Interesting mixed reactions to this one. I thought it was better than the original and really liked it. Seeing in a theater on the big screen was pretty cool.

Saw "The Menu" this afternoon at the theater. I really enjoyed this one and think it is one of the best films I have seen this year. The whole cast is great, but Anya Taylor-Joy and Ray Finees are really fantastic and make this movie. The story is not exactly what I thought it was going to be which was a pleasant surprise. Highly recommend this one.

I thought the second Top Gun was pure popcorn entertainment. Quite over the top but highly entertaining. My one caveat is that, like the later Mission Impossible movies, Cruise's character is almost superhuman in his abilities in a non-superhero movie and gets constant praise for it. I get that as a 5'7" 60 year old man he might need a little positive reinforcement but sheesh, they really ladle it on. I don't recall another action hero needing so much affirmation.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw "The Menu" this afternoon at the theater. I really enjoyed this one and think it is one of the best films I have seen this year. The whole cast is great, but Anya Taylor-Joy and Ray Finees are really fantastic and make this movie. The story is not exactly what I thought it was going to be which was a pleasant surprise. Highly recommend this one.
    This one caught my attention. Really interested in this and the new Knives Out film.

And I thought Top Gun: Maverick was great. I wouldn't give it any awards, but it was a fun watch.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Tall Stranger--Joel McCrea, pretty good old school western.

Hard Eight--a fairly entertaining film due to the cast, but some rather ersatz dialogue mimicking Scorsese and Tarantino at times.
    Last edited by hippypants; 11-29-2022 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This one caught my attention. Really interested in this and the new Knives Out film.

And I thought Top Gun: Maverick was great. I wouldn't give it any awards, but it was a fun watch.
    I know not too many people here go to the theater, but for me seeing "The Menu" on the big screen is the way to go. I am looking forward to trying to see the "Knives Out" movie too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The trailer makes it look like it's a twisted murder by numbers film that may involve cannibalism. As a result, I'm repulsed. I assume it's not then?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The trailer makes it look like it's a twisted murder by numbers film that may involve cannibalism. As a result, I'm repulsed. I assume it's not then?
    It is really best to go into this film completely blind to fully enjoy it IMO, but I will say that cannibalism is not part of the story. I would also say that it is not a murder by numbers type of film.

Saw “Bones And All” this evening at the theater. The movie isn’t perfect, but I enjoyed it a lot. It is basically a horror / love story and most of it works. Mark Rylance has a relatively small part, but puts in an amazing performance. If his part were larger I could see him nominated for best supporting actor it was that good. The acting by the two main characters is also very good and the overall story kept my interest. Recommended.

With the possible exception of Dune II: Spice Harder, there is no point in ANY movies being released in 2023. Done in one, thank you good night.

(language warning for sensitive souls)

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    With the possible exception of Dune II: Spice Harder, there is no point in ANY movies being released in 2023. Done in one, thank you good night.

You knew it had to happen!

What blows my mind is that this isn't just another Asylum knockoff ala Star Battles or Lord of the Wristbands...it's a legit big budget studio film from Elizabeth Banks and the guys who made Spiderman Into the Spiderverse (among many others), and starring a very excellent cast. The only thing that isn't there is Sam Jackson!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    They had me at the Grand Master Flash tune.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    When The Crawdads Sing This is story about a young girl abandoned by her parents living in a swamp. The start of the movie shows her being pulled from the swamp as she was a young women. There was a murder. The story highly effectively tracked back to uncover the plot. It's rated PG so not violent. The young women was a very compelling actor. There are no names but the teacher that had an affair with Tony's wife on the Sopranos is fairly well known. The rest of the characters are not stars. I rate it 9/10 - the best movie I've watched in 2022.
    Watched this the other night. Very good movie. I never saw the Sopranos, but David Strathairn was the only actor I recognized in the film.

Pearl - Sequel, well...prequel to the horror move X that we saw a while back. Not bad, but unless you are a huge Mia Goth (writer, producer and actor in this one) fan, you could probably skip it. She does madness well.

Licorice Pizza - I fell asleep during this. Not sure if it was because of the pacing or because I was severely lacking in sleep. Will give it another chance. They went to all the trouble of making the streets of southern California look like the early '70s. Least I can do is stay awake.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema
    The only thing that isn't there is Sam Jackson!
    No need. When you have a rampant bear high on cocaine, "motherf***er" can be left unsaid.

Cocaine Bear looks like a fun movie.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm up for this! Actually, it should be part of a drive in double feature with Zombeavers.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I thought you made that up....Zombeavers....heheh

But no.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2784512/
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I thought you made that up....Zombeavers....heheh

But no.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2784512/
    Seen it, not as good as the title promised but I'm not sorry I saw it

Seen it, not as good as the title promised but I'm not sorry I saw it
    It's no Psycho Goreman!!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I must admit, as a nine-year-old seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater, I did not think that the series would be ongoing when I was a 50-year-old man.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ I'm waiting for Ghostbusters Vs. Gozer The Geezerian.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I must admit, as a nine-year-old seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theater, I did not think that the series would be ongoing when I was a 50-year-old man.

Trailer looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

Oh damn, I really wanted to not care after that last dismal effort. Now I care. Take.My.Money.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Oh damn, I really wanted to not care after that last dismal effort. Now I care. Take.My.Money.
    Take my money too!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post

Pearl - Sequel, well...prequel to the horror move X that we saw a while back. Not bad, but unless you are a huge Mia Goth (writer, producer and actor in this one) fan, you could probably skip it. She does madness well.

Where did you watch "Pearl"? "X" is on Showtime, and I just assumed "Pearl" would be on it too, but have not been able to find it.