Page 156 of 397 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

RIP, Sid Haig--B movie actor.

Ad Astra - if you've ever worked with someone who had trouble "getting to the point" with a story, instead going down endless tangents and cul de sacs and only sometimes reaching the whole point of the conversation...that's Ad Astra. IN SPAAAAAAACE.

Still, very pretty visually and a nice soundtrack (it reminded me of the score to the remade Solaris by Cliff Martinez).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Ad Astra - if you've ever worked with someone who had trouble "getting to the point" with a story, instead going down endless tangents and cul de sacs and only sometimes reaching the whole point of the conversation...that's Ad Astra. IN SPAAAAAAACE.

Still, very pretty visually and a nice soundtrack (it reminded me of the score to the remade Solaris by Cliff Martinez).
    And it's where? (theater, Netflix, Prime?)
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Opened in theaters last week (I presume it was a wide release). I saw it at the IMAX theater near my home.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Oh, yeah. I saw the preview for that some weeks ago. I forgot what it was.

I won't see it in the theater but I will see it once it's on a streaming service or on BluRay.

Thanks.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

83% on RT reviewers, 42% from audience.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    RIP, Sid Haig--B movie actor.
    Sad news indeed!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Check out the album hanging on the wall behind Julie Andrews in this scene from The Tamarind Seed:

tamarind seed cap.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Sad news indeed!
    A hefty number of condolences from genre celebs, too. RIP Sid.

Watched the "Between Two Ferns" movie on Netflix. It was ok. Kind of your typical on the road movie. Some of the interview segments were funny, but overall it did not blow me away.

Being a long time fan of horror author Bryan Smith, I was excited to see that one of his books was made into a movie.
    68 Kill

Over the top story about a meek , atypical nice guy Chip, and his dominant outlandish super hot girlfriend. (Liza)
    Liza talks Chip into helping her rob a wealthy trick of hers. Things do not go as planned, setting off a string of outrageous events.
    Lots of humor, action, and violence. This is the rare movie that nails it. The actors all grabbed the essence of their characters from the book well.
    AnnaLynne McCord is especially good as Liza. Klonk, you need to see this! What sucks is that I bought the dvd, and 2 weeks later it shows up on Netflix!
    Dude I just watched this and am smiling and shaking my head at the same time...clearly a sign that i enjoyed the hell out of it! Must admit to a little head scratching in the beginning, but once it got going it was a ridiculous joy ride. Very worthy of a from me. Thanks!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Dude I just watched this and am smiling and shaking my head at the same time...clearly a sign that i enjoyed the hell out of it! Must admit to a little head scratching in the beginning, but once it got going it was a ridiculous joy ride. Very worthy of a from me. Thanks!

So glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Watched the "Between Two Ferns" movie on Netflix. It was ok. Kind of your typical on the road movie. Some of the interview segments were funny, but overall it did not blow me away.
    I just watched Between Two Ferns: The Movie last night. Apparently, I liked it a lot better than you did.

I'm with Jerjo:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched the Zach Galifianakis' "Between Two Ferns" movie on Netflix. If you've seen these interviews on Funny or Die dot com, they're pretty good if you like that kind of awkward humor. The movie is more of the same but the behind the scenes story is fleshed out to often hilarious effect. I'll give it two ferns up!

I just looked for a stream of the last Spider-Man movie. Netflix doesn't have it and the only way to see it on Amazon Prime is to purchase for twenty bucks. I suppose it's going to end up on the Disney service. Damn!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Was the last Spiderman movie called Homecoming? I know that's out on Blu Ray and probably DVD. Or is there a more recent spiderman movie?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The more recent one is called Far from Home.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The more recent one is called Far from Home.
    Yep, that's the one. Guess I might actually have to seek out a Red Box or some such thing.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Disney and Sony just reached a deal that allows for this version of Spidey to appear in at least 2 more Marvel Studios movies, maintaining the continuity of the movie universe they've created. Sony has 2 upcoming Spidey-related movies in Venom 2 and Sinister Six, and there's talk of crossover between the two studios' stories. I reckon Tom Holland is going to be very tired, and stockpiling the baby powder to prevent chafing from all the spandex he'll be wearing over the next several years.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/sony-wa...cs-1202746497/

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Chafing all the way to the bank.

I don't recall seeing Spiderman: Far From Home, but then my memory of movies is pretty short. I'm pretty sure that's the one my daughter went to the theater to see, but my wife and I missed somehow. That seems likely, as our library doesn't have the movie yet. Hell, we only saw Avengers: Endgame a couple weeks ago. They churn out the movies as fast as they can, and we catch up on our own time. Spiderman: Far From Home seems to still be playing at the theater here. Maybe we'll see it there.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Climax

One of the most bizarre movies I have ever seen. A couple dozen dancers are invited to a rehearsal as an audition to work with a renowned choreographer.
    After the rehearsal, a celebratory party immediately follows. The sangria punch bowl is spiked with LSD. Eventually, all who drank from it start tripping.
    The effects range from euphoria to absolute horror. For the first half hour you might think you are watching something like Fame, before it gets whacked.
    The choreographed 10 minute dance scene is mind blowing. If you enjoy a "What the hell did I just watch" film, try this one. Mostly French with subtitles.
    On Prime.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Watched two completely different styles of movie over the last two days:

Suspiria - I was curious and a bit wary of a remake of the old Italian horror classic, but I couldn't help being drawn into this one with its strange style and sometimes over-the-top artistic license. I really enjoyed it, and would watch it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Beaker View Post
    Of course certain classics should NOT be touched.
    They bitched up remakes of The Haunting,The Prisoner and the Wickerman. So I was expecting much of the same here.

Okay, they didn't dare touch on Argento's brilliant colours , and they completely changed the main plot big time: in this remake , the main character Suzy Bannion is not a victim but the ACTUAL Mater Suspiriorum Lady of Sighs [One of the 3 witches/Mothers -Darkness,Tears,Sighs (Italy,New York and Berlin) - of the origional trilogy.]

But you gotta give credit for the dance scenes in the remake, of the stress on the art nouveau building, and the historical-darkening of the atmosphere by showing the REAL torn/troubled Germany during the days of the terrorist left-wing Baader Meinhof Group.

The remake is one hour longer than the orig '77 film, yet it manages to hold one's interest.
    I watched the Suspira remake a couple of days ago. I felt pretty much the same as you guys. I liked that it was almost a monster movie because of how grotesque and bizarre some of the scenes were. I had a little trouble following who was who among the girls, and the ending of the movie relies heavily on hearing each and every line clearly at times, when there's so much going on. I found it sort of confusing. But some of that I chalk up to my eyes and a TV that's become a bit too small.

Sort of by accident we watched the movie Midsommer the next day. It has some similarities. It came awfully close to being a rip-off of The Wicker Man, but was still pretty engaging. Ultimately though, it's hurt by poor character development, IMO.

In The Tall Grass

Netflix adaptation of the Stephen King/Joe Hill novella. I haven't read the book, so I can't compare it. Weird and creepy enough. Probably would
    rate this in the middle of films based on King novels. Worth a view.

In The Tall Grass

Netflix adaptation of the Stephen King/Joe Hill novella. I haven't read the book, so I can't compare it. Weird and creepy enough. Probably would
    rate this in the middle of films based on King novels. Worth a view.
    Very interested in this one. Brought back chills from the first time I saw 'Children of the Corn'
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

just saw Spiderman Far From Home
    pretty good MCU story
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Anyone go to Joker this weekend?