Page 37 of 397 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Star Blazers!!!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't really see the problem with giving actors with a more diverse background a chance at larger roles.
    Agreed.

As for Native Americans being represented on screen, Kevin Costner insisted on using NAs in Dances With Wolves and that was in 1990. At the time, the American Indian Registry for the Performing Arts had a membership of about 250 actual NA actors who could be cast in movies. They also protested the use of Lou Diamond Phillips (Filipino by birth) as a Navajo in The Dark Wind (1991).

So, the outcry at using Depp as Tonto is understandable, imo, considering it was made 23 years after Dances With Wolves. I haven't seen The Lone Ranger (and don't intend to), but to my way of thinking the filmmakers' only legitimate reason for casting Depp is because of his acting prowess. Like him or not, he's one of his generation's greatest actors. Early in his career he went from Edward Scissorhands to Gilbert Grape to Ed Wood to William Blake to "Don Juan" to Donnie Brasco to Hunter Thompson in the span of 7 movies. That's an impressive resume.

Related to this issue, I have noticed a trend in Hollywood for the last 10-15 years where non-white actors have been cast in roles that would have typically been given to white actors. Has anyone else noticed this?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    Yes. I was gonna mention that but these topics can get controversial so ........

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I recall Johnny Sokko being broadcast on KDOC 56 (Anaheim, CA) in the 70s.
    GIGANTOR!

That's what I was thinking of......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

It wasn't a cartoon. It was live-action.

ah! I have not seen that show......
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

One of my wife's older cousins married a member of the Three Affiliated Tribes (Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara). Pete was a big rodeo guy. So when Dances with Wolves was being shot in South Dakota, the call went out on the reservations for anyone who was Native American and could ride a horse. So Pete and two of his grown sons went down to South Dakota and ended up in the movie. The sons liked the work and ended up working as stunt men, going on to other films like Last of the Mohicans. One of them made a successful career out of it. He finally quit after fifteen years. He told me he had to jump out of a two-story building and land on a horse. He nailed it but his body said "you're too old for this shit". So he bought his wife a vet practice in North Dakota and they came home.

In short, you open up roles to racial/ethnic minorities to play those roles, you create careers and opportunities for those who would have never gotten them if they were played by white actors.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yes. I was gonna mention that but these topics can get controversial so ........
    What I was thinking of specifically is that you see a lot of white lead characters with non-white spouses, lovers, friends or in an interracial group of friends. I don't have a problem with that at all but sometimes - not always - it feels unrealistic.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Man, I freaking loved Ultraman and Johnny Sokko. Never understood why Hollywood never made an Ultraman movie. I've heard that its ownership in Japan is complicated, but if they could make hundreds of Godzilla movies, why couldn't they figure out how to make one Ultraman film?
    I loved it as a kid, too. I've had the first 39 episodes on DVD in my watch list on eBay for over a year, still haven't pulled the trigger. I really should, it's a cheap set.
    Still have a Bandai figure of him that I got around 1990 when a roommate took me to Toys R Us to get me fun stuff to help me feel better when I had strep throat.

And, yeah, if Sony and Marvel could come together to put Spidey in the MCU, we should be able to get an Ultraman movie.

Agreed.

As for Native Americans being represented on screen, Kevin Costner insisted on using NAs in Dances With Wolves and that was in 1990. At the time, the American Indian Registry for the Performing Arts had a membership of about 250 actual NA actors who could be cast in movies. They also protested the use of Lou Diamond Phillips (Filipino by birth) as a Navajo in The Dark Wind (1991).

So, the outcry at using Depp as Tonto is understandable, imo, considering it was made 23 years after Dances With Wolves. I haven't seen The Lone Ranger (and don't intend to), but to my way of thinking the filmmakers' only legitimate reason for casting Depp is because of his acting prowess. Like him or not, he's one of his generation's greatest actors. Early in his career he went from Edward Scissorhands to Gilbert Grape to Ed Wood to William Blake to "Don Juan" to Donnie Brasco to Hunter Thompson in the span of 7 movies. That's an impressive resume.

Related to this issue, I have noticed a trend in Hollywood for the last 10-15 years where non-white actors have been cast in roles that would have typically been given to white actors. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nope, have to disagree. Its because of his pulling power and ability to put bums on seats. His name on the poster will usually guarantee an audience. Its a good idea in theory but does not always work, as we can see with the meagre box office returns for that movie. And the fact that the critics panned it.

But bear in mind that bad reviews don't always prevent a movie from making a profit...people will usually watch a movie because a trailer looks good (but don't they always), and fans will usually go and see it the first week regardless. Once the reviews filter through and word of mouth gets round after the first week takings can drop dramatically...but a ton of money can be made in that opening weekend. And then their is the trick of now showing the movie to the press prior to opening (usually a good indicator that its a complete dog), and people have no reviews to guide them at all.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Reference Johnny Depp's movie Mortdecei that only pulled in $8 million in the USA on $60 million budget and has a 12% rating on rotten tomatoes.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Vault

Crew robs a bank and everything seems to be going smoothy...until they go to the basement vault. Not a big budget, cool plot, decent acting and some chills. I thought it was well done and fun. Perfect late night movie
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Was there an American version of Johnny Sokko? I seem to recall a giant robot cartoon from my extreme youth, but can't recall the name of it....
    Bet it was this:

ETA: I see someone else suggested Gigantor...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Man, I freaking loved Ultraman and Johnny Sokko. Never understood why Hollywood never made an Ultraman movie. I've heard that its ownership in Japan is complicated, but if they could make hundreds of Godzilla movies, why couldn't they figure out how to make one Ultraman film?
    Dude, check it out. They did make a Ultraman movie and it looks awesome! Right up there with Pacific Rim - haven't seen the sequel but will some day - I'll be searching this out once I go back to work and get my Netflix up and running again.

Frak yeah, Ultraman is back and he's a badaass. So very cool.

Oh, and then there's this, Ultraman X.

Last edited by TheLoony; 08-30-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Nope, have to disagree. Its because of his pulling power and ability to put bums on seats.
    I don't disagree. What I meant was the filmmakers' claims don't necessarily have to represent the truth. Thus, all they had to say was, "who could do a better job?"

Regarding Ultraman, that was one of my favorite after school shows. Couldn't remember very much about it so I looked it up on Wikipedia. I seem to remember that there was a kid that knew U-man's secret and was friends with him. Am I misremembering?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Dude, check it out. They did make a Ultraman movie and it looks awesome! Right up there with Pacific Rim - haven't seen the sequel but will some day - I'll be searching this out once I go back to work and get my Netflix up and running again.

From what I've seen online, that was just some sort of 50th anniversary tribute. They never made that as a movie.

Regarding Ultraman, that was one of my favorite after school shows. Couldn't remember very much about it so I looked it up on Wikipedia. I seem to remember that there was a kid that knew U-man's secret and was friends with him. Am I misremembering?
    Methinks you are correct
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Vault

Crew robs a bank and everything seems to be going smoothy...until they go to the basement vault. Not a big budget, cool plot, decent acting and some chills. I thought it was well done and fun. Perfect late night movie
    Agreed
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

From what I've seen online, that was just some sort of 50th anniversary tribute. They never made that as a movie.
    That's weak. Obviously didn't look too far into it.

Anyway, Ultraman rocked.

Recent viewings on Netflix:

Emelie. Considered a thriller. I didn't pay much attention to the description and so it wasn't what I expected. Maybe that's why I liked it. I don't know. I thought it was pretty good with only one little moment that felt contrived.

The Boy, another thriller, which I thought was pretty good up to a point. Kinda falls apart in the third act, tho.

Recommended to me was The Great Train Robbery, a two part miniseries about a train robbery that took place in England in 1963. The first part is a heist movie and the second a police procedural. This could have been really interesting. As it was, I found it lacking. If you want to be entertained by a true crime heist movie, check out The Bank Job (from 2008), a much better movie with Jason Statham in a non-action role.

A documentary called A Good American, about a high-placed intelligence official/cryptologist (William Binney) who claims that the program he helped develop in the NSA could have prevented the terrorist attacks on 9/11. It has a lot of detail, which I found interesting, but it's also rather slow at first. I wouldn't say this movie is compelling but I also couldn't stop watching. If you take it at face value, you're going to come way feeling either pissed or a kind of existential nihilism... or both. One of the criticisms leveled at this documentary is that there are no opposing viewpoints. The filmmakers claim that those who could provide those viewpoints were contacted but did not respond. Another problem is if you read about Binney post-NSA, he loses some credibility. Still, the movie's worth a look.

Recommended to me was The Great Train Robbery, a two part miniseries about a train robbery that took place in England in 1963. The first part is a heist movie and the second a police procedural. This could have been really interesting. As it was, I found it lacking.
    Was it better than Buster though?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Was it better than Buster though?
    Let's be clear, the best film Phil Collins has ever been in was A Hard Day's Night. Or maybe Calamity The Cow.

Spellbound Alfred Hitchcock about a therapist trying to help a patient with amnesia. Nice Salvador Dali sequence near the ending.

Ready Player One fun pop film. Probably looked great on a large screen.

The Stranger Noir-ish drama about tracking down a war criminal in small town America.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Let's be clear, the best film Phil Collins has ever been in was A Hard Day's Night. Or maybe Calamity The Cow.
    Hook wasn't all that bad.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Hook wasn't all that bad.

Just saying.
    Forgot about that Hook. But I'd still choose A Hard Day's Night.