Page 186 of 397 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196236286 ... LastLast
Results 4,626 to 4,650 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    The Invisible Man Very well done (obvious forshadowing aside) and loads of fun! Some great jump scares too.

7.5 out 10 fantasies of owning that suit.
    Last edited by Paulie; 04-01-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Excellent film, saw in the Theater a while ago (obviously). Amazing technique of super-long, travelling, continuous shots with so much going on and so much ground covered it is remarkable. They did these long single takes highly choreographed, so the necessary multiple takes were very time-consuming and expensive. Amazing craftsmanship in my book, AFIK there's never been anything quite like this done before.
    Yes, the continuous long shots added authenticy of the film. The shots in the trenches seemed so real. I agree it was a groundbreaking movie. I'll definitely return to this movie which I think will continue to reveal itself with repeated viewing. A lot of hype/awards, that is the first movie this year that matches expectations. It was exciting from start to finish.Great storytelling. If you haven't seen it, run!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yes, the continuous long shots added authenticy of the film. The shots in the trenches seemed so real. I agree it was a groundbreaking movie. I'll definitely return to this movie which I think will continue to reveal itself with repeated viewing. A lot of hype/awards, that is the first movie this year that matches expectations. It was exciting from start to finish.Great storytelling. If you haven't seen it, run!
    How would you guys say this movie compares to Dunkirk. I've seen Dunkirk but not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    How would you guys say this movie compares to Dunkirk. I've seen Dunkirk but not this one.
    I think both are excellent. Because it's fresher in my memory, I prefer 1917.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-02-2020 at 06:57 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

decided to watch The Cloverfield Paradox after avoiding all things Cloverfield... not a fan of hype machines

SPOILER ALERT

it was an interesting concept until the 'mile high monster from another dimension' ending
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 04-01-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    decided to watch The Cloverfield Paradox after avoiding all things Cloverfield... not a fan of hype machines
    The first Cloverfield movie is still one of my favorite giant monster films. I went to see that on opening night with a huge group of friends and family, and it was like a rollercoaster ride (almost) going through it for the first time.

I thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was also really good, but a completely different type of movie. The Cloverfield Paradox was disappointing to me though. Like you said, it had an interesting concept, but I felt like the screenplay just didn't do enough with that concept. Oh well.

Two excellent movies that I saw in the theater. I would probably give a slight nod to "1917", but the are both outstanding films.

A couple of movies I've seen over the past day that I haven't seen in decades:

Klute. Streamable on TCM right now. I did not remember how good this was. Excellent!

The Parallax View. Streamable on HBO GO. Another good one.

Incidentally, they are the first two of Alan Pakula's "paranoia trilogy". Unfortunately, the third, All the President's Men, isn't available on anything I subscribe to.

The Conversation, tho, is available on Prime. I haven't seen it in ages, either.

And The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is on TCM.
    Last edited by Hal...; 04-05-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Tonight we watched The Mountain Between Us, one of those films we wanted to make time for for quite some time - and of course, time is something we now have lots of. We both enjoyed it. Survival movie with two strangers stranded in the Rockies after a small plane crash. It was way better than the mixed reviews would have you believe. The acting (Kate Winslet and Idris Elba) was strong and the scenery was beautiful. And their sweet dog was a main role throughout the whole film, which for dog lovers like my wife and I is a big plus. Good one!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Talk of Cloverfield and similar movies brings me to Monster From Green Hell, which was on UK TV this morning. What a pile of old tosh.

You have to wonder why they went with a title like that, and then film it in black and white...the omens are not good...

Story involves a mutant creatures growing to giant size in Africa, though here it only seems to affect wasps.

There are a few stop motion scenes of the wasps, but they are very poorly done. Even worse are some large, very fake looking props with no movement whatsoever, you just imagine a couple of guys behind the scenes shoving it through the undergrowth. Worse still, it does not even resemble a wasp at all.

But its biggest problem is that the vast majority of the scenes involve the protagonists walking endlessly through the jungle, interrupted by very obvious looking stock footage from other movies.

Possibly the dullest and most boring creature feature ever.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Finally saw JoJo Rabbit. This one lived up to its positive buzz. Engrossing , well written and acted , funny , sad. And offbeat in a good way. Scarlett Johanson and the always interesting Sam Rockwell shine. The child actors , also very good. 10 out of 10 , no flaws for me and different enough to be satisfying. Always nice to see an original , quality adult movie in which no character wears their underware outside of their pants.

Finally saw JoJo Rabbit. This one lived up to its positive buzz. Engrossing , well written and acted , funny , sad. And offbeat in a good way. Scarlett Johanson and the always interesting Sam Rockwell shine. The child actors , also very good. 10 out of 10 , no flaws for me and different enough to be satisfying. Always nice to see an original , quality adult movie in which no character wears their underware outside of their pants.
    Yes, I loved this one. The humor was only surpassed by the emotion. Quite a lot of depth to some of the characters who at first seem to just be shallow comic relief, but are much more than that. Funny and heartbreaking. Taika Waititi is not just a great writer, but also a very talented director. Some of the techniques he uses in this movie are so subtle that you don't realize what he's doing until after the fact.

Wonderful movie.

Have you seen Hunt For the Wilderpeople?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yes, I loved this one. The humor was only surpassed by the emotion. Quite a lot of depth to some of the characters who at first seem to just be shallow comic relief, but are much more than that. Funny and heartbreaking. Taika Waititi is not just a great writer, but also a very talented director. Some of the techniques he uses in this movie are so subtle that you don't realize what he's doing until after the fact.

Wonderful movie.

Have you seen Hunt For the Wilderpeople?
    No I have not. On your recomendation I added to Netflix DVD cue. Thanks.

Sis said go ahead and order HBO. Mom's paying for it, she's on a supposedly fixed income(we shall see how things go) so now I can use In Demand and watch the freaking Wire.

I should probably watch the last season of The Sopranos as I missed out on that one.

Pennyworth on Epix is not a movie but is worth watching. I only got to see the first four eps with the free preview but it's really good. It's Batman's butlers story and he's a bad ass SAS operative and I gotta say it's a well done story. I'm so bummed I can't get the rest of the series. I love the Batman universe.

Ahem, oh, movies, right? That's what this thread is? I got's a good, well, not really, one for GuitarGeek, Rocker. Stupid as hell but shot in Cleveland. Even shows the sign for Jacob's Field. Been a while since it was that.

David Crosby: Remember My Name

Fascinating. He's really honest about his life. Dude was there and did that, for sure. Maybe not always for the best but he did it.

In a Valley of Violence. Don't kill a man's dog. I watched it even if it has Travolta in it.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 04-06-2020 at 03:26 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post

Ahem, oh, movies, right? That's what this thread is? I got's a good, well, not really, one for GuitarGeek, Rocker. Stupid as hell but shot in Cleveland. Even shows the sign for Jacob's Field. Been a while since it was that.
    Yeah, the movie was made in 2007. I forget when they changed the name of Jacob's Field, but yeah it's been a few years. I've never seen it, though I think it was playing on Showtime or one of the other premium channels we get for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    A couple of movies I've seen over the past day that I haven't seen in decades:

Klute. Streamable on TCM right now. I did not remember how good this was. Excellent!

The Parallax View. Streamable on HBO GO. Another good one.

Incidentally, they are the first two of Alan Pakula's "paranoia trilogy". Unfortunately, the third, All the President's Men, isn't available on anything I subscribe to.

The Conversation, tho, is available on Prime. I haven't seen it in ages, either.

And The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is on TCM.

I recently bought the Criterion collection release of Klute.

A top ten 70s flick for me.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Insomina (2002) starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hilary Swank. This is a crime drama shot in Alaska (I think actually British Columbia but I'm not sure). The filming of the nature was excellent. The movie is a crime thriller and is very well acted. Robin Williams was an underated dramatic actor.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched a good one on TV called There Was A Crooked Man w/Kirk Douglas and Henry Fonda.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Insomina (2002) starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams, and Hilary Swank. This is a crime drama shot in Alaska (I think actually British Columbia but I'm not sure). The filming of the nature was excellent. The movie is a crime thriller and is very well acted. Robin Williams was an underated dramatic actor.
    That was a good one and Williams was great in it.

Coogan's Bluff with Eastwood

The Film Is Not Yet Rated--a doc on who rates the movies, and how. Pretty decent.

X-Men: Apocalypse--I had to be in the mood for this extravaganza but pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

The Film Is Not Yet Rated--a doc on who rates the movies, and how. Pretty decent.

X-Men: Apocalypse--I had to be in the mood for this extravaganza but pretty good.
    The last X-Men is excellent!

saw an offbeat RomCom called Silver Linings Playbook with Jennifer Lawrence

pretty funny flick if you appreciate RomComs

7 out of 10 dysfunctional people recommend it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

Although I love most Eastwood movies I did not really care for "Coogan's Bluff" although it is years since I have seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That was a good one and Williams was great in it.
    For the period that Williams was funny, he was the best It's just amazing to me how he transformed his genius mind into dramatic acting so convincingly.

No I have not. On your recomendation I added to Netflix DVD cue. Thanks.
    Another recommendation for that one. Not as off the wall as Jojo Rabbit but still very entertaining.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...