Page 269 of 394 FirstFirst ... 169219259265266267268269270271272273279319369 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,725 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    So, no one saw The Power of the Dog?
    I wanted to see it, but it came and went pretty fast from our theater, so did not catch it.

Jon Neudorf
    Don't Look Up is excellent.
    Always watch Christmas Vacation Christmas Eve. Never gets old for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Today, I just watched a movie with Diane Lane and Kevin Costner called Let Him Go. Following the loss of their son, a retired sheriff and his wife travel from their Montana ranch to rescue their young grandson from the clutches of a dangerous family living off the grid in the Dakotas. Truly amazing acting and compelling story. Highest rating 10/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Yes! Great movie. In total agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Cool! Glad you liked it.
    mozo, I just watched this too at your recommendation. I really liked it! It has a surprise or two, so I'd recommend people not watch a trailer before seeing, as they may give something away. Since COVID came I've not really been watching anything (and already didn't watch much). Something to do with my attention-span being shrunk due to too much social media, checking the news frequently, hiding in music (and of course reading and posting on PE compulsively!), and feeling a bit anti-social. So it was kind of a big deal for me to just decide to watch a movie! Glad I did, and now have something to recommend to others, so thanks, mozo! Your concise description of it really intrigued me.

Hey Jerjo, you might like this movie, it takes place in your neck of the woods, and some of the cinematography is very nice. I meant to check if the exteriors were shot on location, because it was BEAUTIFUL country. Also, it takes place in, I guess, the late 50s or possibly early 60s, so some cool old cars and trucks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Don't Look Up is excellent.
    I haven't watched this yet, but it's interesting what conflicting comments I'm hearing. Most people seem to think it's worth watching and that it has a lot of funny parts, but I've just had someone say it was "sort of a slog" then someone else say they wouldn't call it a slog, but it was "damn depressing." I guess I'll just have to watch it to find out.

The movie is on our list. However, the movie was shot in Canada. Movies that take place in ND, SD, MT, WY, etc are rarely ever filmed in those states. I've seen high mountain ranges in the background of scenes supposedly taking place in North Dakota.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    mozo, I just watched this too at your recommendation. I really liked it! It has a surprise or two, so I'd recommend people not watch a trailer before seeing, as they may give something away. Since COVID came I've not really been watching anything (and already didn't watch much). Something to do with my attention-span being shrunk due to too much social media, checking the news frequently, hiding in music (and of course reading and posting on PE compulsively!), and feeling a bit anti-social. So it was kind of a big deal for me to just decide to watch a movie! Glad I did, and now have something to recommend to others, so thanks, mozo! Your concise description of it really intrigued me.

Hey Jerjo, you might like this movie, it takes place in your neck of the woods, and some of the cinematography is very nice. I meant to check if the exteriors were shot on location, because it was BEAUTIFUL country. Also, it takes place in, I guess, the late 50s or possibly early 60s, so some cool old cars and trucks, etc.
    Hey Jed! I'm really glad you like it. I didn't see anything in advance of watching it so I saw it as a slow burn, I just thought, this is really authentic acting and not expecting such a powerful ending (no spoilers). I liked it so much, I watched it a second time with my wife this week and it was still enjoyable. Diane Lane had a excellent role but Costner was great too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Finally saw Encanto. If you aren't animation- (or Disney-) intolerant, this is a hell of a fine ride. Colorful, full of sound and motion, and with a story that, ultimately, matters.

Background: Running from a political purge in Columbia, Alma Madrigal (known throughout the film as "Abuela") and her three babies are saved when her husband Pedro sacrifices himself to let them escape. A miracle then occurs: mountains arise around her and the other refugees, cutting them off from the political uproar, and from the world generally. Meanwhile, the candle Alma is carrying attains a magical property: it never burns out.

An apparently sentient and certainly magical and responsive house grows up around the Madrigals, and grows to fit as the family grows. Each child of the Madrigal family turns out to have a different magical gift -- by the time of the story, one of Alma's granddaughters, Luisa, is literally able to lift a church, while another, Isabella, can make flowers grow at will; a third, Dolores, has super-hearing and knows everyone's "dirt". As each child comes of age for the gift, a door appears in the casita with his or her image on it, leading to a room specially designed for him or her.

The main character, Mirabel, on the night of her gifting receives ... no gift, and no room.

Several years later, when she is fifteen, her cousin Antonio receives the gift of speaking with animals. During his celebration, she sees a vision of the casita cracking and crumbling. She goes to the room formerly belonging to Bruno (who was a precog and who disappeared; "we don't talk about Bruno"). Here -- after some rather parlous adventures -- she finds a prophecy in emerald glass that shows Mirabel herself causing the casita to fall apart. Ultimately, she finds Bruno and learns more -- which would be telling.

Things get dire from there. Family members begin losing their gifts. The house actually begins falling apart. The village (which has always been under the Madrigals' protection) also begins falling apart. The story builds to a climactic confrontation between Mirabel and her Abuela which explains much. A happy ending ensues.

There are some good songs along the way, by Lin-Manuel Miranda: an opening ensemble number, "The Family Madrigal", sets the scene aptly; in "Surface Pressure", Luisa digresses on the pressures of being depended on as the strong one.

The only cast members I have ever heard of are John Leguizamo as Bruno, and Alan Tudyk as a toucan. Apparently, if I were more of a TV watcher, I would have known about Stephanie Beatriz, who voices Mirabel, and who is a cast member on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and that Diane Guerrero, the flower-maker, was on Orange Is the New Black. Most of the remaining cast members about which I can learn anything are, appropriately, Colombians.

This is the best Disney animated feature in several years. Recommended.
    Last edited by Sturgeon's Lawyer; 12-31-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

We watched Don't Look Up last night. It was pretty much as expected - serious subject matter, presented with comedy, with some great satirical jabs at modern culture, some more subtle than others. So much of it was so spot-on, though. DiCaprio was very well-cast, as his passion for this type of thing really came out in his performance.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Last night, When Worlds Collide and The Muppets' Haunted Mansion.

I think I'd seen the former before but not sure. I read the books many times in my misspent youth, and that may be why some of it looked familiar -- though they took so many liberties with the source material that I could be wrong. If I saw it before, it was on a weekday afternoon in New York before 1970... At any rate, I think it was one of George Pal's better science fiction films, right up there with War of the Worlds.

The Muppets' Haunted Mansion is about Gonzo and Pepe the Prawn accepting a challenge to spend Hallowe'en night in "the most haunted house in the world", where, 100 years earlier, his favorite magician had mysteriously disappeared. The story runs them through most of the major "scenes" from the HM at Disneyland, altered and expanded so as to give this one an actual plot (unlike the Eddie Murphy vehicle of eighteen years ago). Most of the characters are played by Muppets, but a few are actual humans, much like any Muppet movie. The Ghost Host is played by Will Arnett. Most of the others I've never heard of before, though there are cameos by Ed Asner and Danny Trejo. Surprisingly enjoyable. (Available on Disney+.)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I wanted to see it, but it came and went pretty fast from our theater, so did not catch it.
    It's still on Netflix
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Last night, When Worlds Collide and The Muppets' Haunted Mansion.

I think I'd seen the former before but not sure. I read the books many times in my misspent youth, and that may be why some of it looked familiar -- though they took so many liberties with the source material that I could be wrong. If I saw it before, it was on a weekday afternoon in New York before 1970... At any rate, I think it was one of George Pal's better science fiction films, right up there with War of the Worlds.

The Muppets' Haunted Mansion is about Gonzo and Pepe the Prawn accepting a challenge to spend Hallowe'en night in "the most haunted house in the world", where, 100 years earlier, his favorite magician had mysteriously disappeared. The story runs them through most of the major "scenes" from the HM at Disneyland, altered and expanded so as to give this one an actual plot (unlike the Eddie Murphy vehicle of eighteen years ago). Most of the characters are played by Muppets, but a few are actual humans, much like any Muppet movie. The Ghost Host is played by Will Arnett. Most of the others I've never heard of before, though there are cameos by Ed Asner and Danny Trejo. Surprisingly enjoyable. (Available on Disney+.)
    I think I need to see Pepe the Prawn!

It's still on Netflix

Meander

On Prime. If you want an intense and suspenseful movie, you definitely want to see this. Lisa is lost and on her own at night by foot.
    She begrudgingly accepts a ride. Driver apparently is wanted for 2 recent murders. Lisa is rendered unconscious, and upon awakening
    finds herself in a very small room with extremely low ceilings. Also wearing a tight one piece jumper with padded elbows and knees. And,
    a circular glow light attached to her wrist that she can not take off. A random opening appears in the room leading into a tube (their word,
    but more like duct work) that is only big enough to crawl through. This is pretty much the rest of the film. Her having to move from tube
    to tube trying to find her way out. 95% of the film is just her. The woman who plays her is fantastic! As is the camera work. There are various
    traps she must avoid throughout. Part action, suspense, horror, and sci fi. Highly recommended!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

^^^ The actress's name is Gaia Weiss. It appears to be a French film. It has 75% on the Tomatometer and 86% audience score.

It looks interesting and there is no way I will ever get anyone in this house to watch it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ^^^ The actress's name is Gaia Weiss. It appears to be a French film. It has 75% on the Tomatometer and 86% audience score.

It looks interesting and there is no way I will ever get anyone in this house to watch it with me.
    Yes, that's her. There is some french spoken in it, with subtitles, but it is mostly done in english.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

We watched Don't Look Up over the weekend. Well-made, with some entertaining moments, but ultimately as depressing as watching a documentary about the current state of affairs in our fucked-up world. IMO, YMMV.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That's my worry
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We watched Boiling Point last night, a very impressive film shot in one take about the stress of a restaurant staff on a busy night around Christmas. The actors really nail it, and it's hard not to be amazed at the camera choreography that must have been necessary. Apparently they shot four different takes and used take #3. And I thought that long unbroken shot in Goodfellas was impressive! Stephen Graham (who has been in many things now, but I always think of as 'the guy from Snatch') deserves an award IMO. Actually, another main role is a Snatch alumni, Jason Flemyng.

For anyone who has worked in a restaurant, the tension might seem a little too real, but it was hard not to be captivated by it all.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    So, no one saw The Power of the Dog?
    I did and wish I didn't. The fantastic cast and cinematography had me wanting to like it, but man, this was a huge miss for me.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    We watched Don't Look Up over the weekend. Well-made, with some entertaining moments, but ultimately as depressing as watching a documentary about the current state of affairs in our fucked-up world. IMO, YMMV.
    I really enjoyed it, but described as a comedy on Netflix? More like a very dark satire, very realistic. The ending was hilarious though, didn't see that coming!

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    We watched Boiling Point last night, a very impressive film shot in one take about the stress of a restaurant staff on a busy night around Christmas. The actors really nail it, and it's hard not to be amazed at the camera choreography that must have been necessary. Apparently they shot four different takes and used take #3. And I thought that long unbroken shot in Goodfellas was impressive! Stephen Graham (who has been in many things now, but I always think of as 'the guy from Snatch') deserves an award IMO. Actually, another main role is a Snatch alumni, Jason Flemyng.

For anyone who has worked in a restaurant, the tension might seem a little too real, but it was hard not to be captivated by it all.

As a former restaurant worker I need to check this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As a former restaurant worker I need to check this one out.
    I worked in kitchens for years when I was younger, and this is the most bang-on representation I've ever seen.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Boiling Point looks awesome. I just rewatched Waiting and with Dinner Rush, this looks to make out a great trilogy of restaurant movies.

Adam McKay did Don't Look Up and is also the guy behind the Lakers story coming up on HBO. The Ariana Grande song in the movie was the best part. Turn off the shitbox tv and we're all gonna fucking die, had me in stitches.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Saw “American Underdog” today. This is the true story of quarterback Curt Warner who went from stocking grocery shelves, to playing in the Arena League to eventually winning the Superbowl. Unlike many sports movies this one spends a lot of time on Curt’s personal life and relationship with his girlfriend / wife. Maybe a little too much time on that aspect. I thought the film dragged at times and got pretty sappy in spots. This film is designed for a wider audience than just football fans which is fine, but I think some of the homelife stuff could have been cut out and it would have been a better film. There also doesn’t seem to be a lot of chemistry between the two leading actors Zach Levi and Anna Paquin. Everything just seems a bit stiff. Those criticisms aside I did enjoy the film for the most part and think it is worth seeing. I thought the football scenes were all well done and I liked the way they patched in real footage with the staged stuff.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The trailers look dreadful
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.