Page 94 of 397 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 9904

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I watched it and enjoyed it, it got killed on rotten tomatoes.
    I'm glad you liked it. It was very far out there so that might explain the low ratings. I still loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I mentioned The Dark Tower a few pages back. Did anyone else see it or want to? I thought it was outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    I've had this on my list for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger because I actually read the books, enjoyed them and was worried . I'll have to check it out...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not having seen the sketch it seems to work on the same principal as the Monty Python Cheese & Spam sketches.
    I think the repetition element is a key factor...some things can just become funny the more you hear them, even though the lines themselves are not intrinsically funny.

If anyone has ever seen The Fast Show, a surreal sketch show from the UK from the 90s, it worked on a similar principle.

Different sketches with characters repeating catchphrases, often in subtly different locations or situations.

When I first saw it I didn't get it. It just wasnt funny. But the more you watched it the funnier it became.

Queen with Adam Lambert are opening up the Oscars this weekend. I set my dvr for this one though I haven't watched an Oscar presentation in years.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Another good one was Aykroyd, as Jimmy Carter, talking down a guy who's having a bad acid trip, over the phone.
    OMG, that was great. I remember when they did a commercial for marijuana growers and went into the song, "Look for the Union Label", which was taken from an ILGWU commercial at the time. Hey, I found it:

https://vimeo.com/57702470

Our conversation in the boy band thread reminded me of one of the funniest things I've ever seen on SNL: a sketch about a TV Christmas special with Gary Kroeger and Julia Louis Dreyfus playing Donny & Marie. They start singing a carol and right in the middle of the song, stop singing and start making out.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I just watched a brilliant film from 1994 that for some reason I have missed all these years. Luc Besson's The Professional stars French actor Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Danny Aiello and an amazing performance by a 12 year old Natalie Portman in her first film role.

One of the most original plots I've seen, and it was interesting to see why Portman grew up to win an Oscar. She had mega-chops at 12 years old as well!

Enough shoot-em-up action for the shoot-em-up fan as well. I'm sure there are those here who've known this film for 25 years. I'm already calling it a "classic", which I don't do lightly.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The Professional is great, and indeed a classic. Hard to believe you missed that one, but we all have those titles I think!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, a great one. I've had the DVD in my collection forever.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I just watched a brilliant film from 1994 that for some reason I have missed all these years. Luc Besson's The Professional stars French actor Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Danny Aiello and an amazing performance by a 12 year old Natalie Portman in her first film role.

One of the most original plots I've seen, and it was interesting to see why Portman grew up to win an Oscar. She had mega-chops at 12 years old as well!

Enough shoot-em-up action for the shoot-em-up fan as well. I'm sure there are those here who've known this film for 25 years. I'm already calling it a "classic", which I don't do lightly.
    Fantastic movie love Reno, Oldman, & Portman. I pretty much watch it whenever it is on.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The cool thing is my fiancee immigrated to Canada 15 years ago (also lived in the UK for five years) so there is so much unexplored movies to watch with her. It's a gas. This weekend, Shawshank Redemption (never seen it!). I've seen it well over 10 or 15 times but I'll still enjoy it vicariously through my partner.

Some people had an issue at the time with The Professional because of the possible suggestion that Reno and Portmans onscreen relationship was somewhat unsavoury, a possible hint of physical attraction.

The interesting thing about that is that the longer European cut contains a scene where Portman practically offers himself to Reno, but he flatly rejects the advance.

For me I preferred the longer cut, because this scene removed any ambiguity of a physical relationship that the original cut may have suggested.

Plus it has quite a few other extra scenes that are pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    The interesting thing about that is that the longer European cut contains a scene where Portman practically offers himself (sic) to Reno, but he flatly rejects the advance.

For me I preferred the longer cut, because this scene removed any ambiguity of a physical relationship that the original cut may have suggested.

Plus it has quite a few other extra scenes that are pretty decent.
    Wouldn't the longer cut be the "original cut"? Most likely the movie was edited by the US distributor who decided (as they often do) that it was either too long, or there was something "improper" or whatever about some of the cut scenes.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, Luc Besson considers the shorter version of the film to be the "original edit" and the longer version to be "the long version". Apparently, he doesn't consider the latter to be "the director's cut" or whatever. (shrug)
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 02-22-2019 at 02:19 AM.

I so wanna see that "long version" of Leon. So curious about what was left out.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

A Most Wanted Man (2014). Based on the novel by John le Carré. Stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Rachel McAdams, Robin Wright, Willem Dafoe.

Like typical Carré stories, at least the ones I've seen, it's all talky, real spy stuff and very little action. Still makes for a compelling movie, tho. And Hoffman is just brilliant.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Just got done watching Network. Good, classic movie, which I don't think I've seen before, though, of course, I'm familiar with the "I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!" thing. I think I see where the producers of the Max Headroom show (the one that aired on ABC, not the talk show) got some of their ideas from (e.g. TV executives negotiating with terrorists, etc).

I read on Wikipedia that the actress who played William Holden's wife set the record for the shortest Oscar winning performance in a feature, something like 5 minutes, 2 seconds.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 02-22-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Just got done watching Network. Good, classic movie, which I don't think I've seen before, though, of course, I'm familiar with the "I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!!" thing. I think I see where the producers of the Max Headroom show (the one that aired on ABC, not the talk show) got some of their ideas from (e.g. TV executives negotiating with terrorists, etc).

I read on Wikipedia that the actress who played William Holden's wife set the record for the shortest Oscar winning performance in a feature, something like 5 minutes, 2 seconds.
    Brilliant movie, and still relevant today.

I was lucky enough to see the stage version in London last year with Bryan Cranston as Howard Beal. One of the best live shows I have ever seen. Cranston was brilliant, but the staging was one of the most technically impressive I have ever seen.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Brilliant movie, and still relevant today.
    According to Wikipedia, Chafesky did research by spending time in TV executive offices, and found that most of the executives rarely watched TV, because they hated the stuff they were putting on the air, as they felt that was the only stuff the American public would watch.

Kinda makes me think of that deal a few years ago, when someone hacked into whichever studio database, and found, among other things, e-mails from movie executives complaining about how terrible Adam Sandler's movies are.

We Own The Night--thriller set in 1988 NYC and is cops vs. Russian crime syndicate. Pretty well done, and entertaining if not a bit formula and blockbuster-ish. But still worth a watch, good actors.

Another line in Network, that really amused was the bit about the Howard Beale show being bested in the ratings only by The Six Million Dollar Man, All In The Family, and Phyllis. I don't know why I find it amusing that Phyllis was one of the shows that higher ratings, it just does. (shrug)

What Happened to Monday

In the future, due to overpopulation, couples are limited to having one child. Any more than that and they run the risk
    of being caught and the sibling (s) put to detention centers where they are processed and then put in cryo chambers
    until such time as the population problem has been solved. Noomi Rapace stars and plays the roles of identical
    septuplets who have managed to escape detection into their thirties. Rapace is positively brilliant in this Netflix
    original film. Outstanding movie!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Await Further Instructions. From RottenTomatoes: "It's Christmas Day and the Milgram family wake to find a mysterious black substance (it's supposedly metal) surrounding their house. Something monumental is clearly happening right outside their door, but what exactly - an industrial accident, a terrorist attack, nuclear war? Descending into terrified arguments, they turn on the television, desperate for any information. On screen a message glows ominously: 'Stay Indoors and Await Further Instructions'."

This was actually a pretty decent movie, with a very interesting premise, until the cheesy, '80s-era B movie FX ruined it at the end. RT scores: 80%, 25%. Yep, only 25% of the audience liked it. Me:

Malicious (2018; not the Molly Ringwald movie). From RT: "A young college professor and his pregnant wife unwittingly release a malevolent entity with murderous intentions."

It started off promising, altho, I don't recall any new ideas - hell, it even borrowed (stole?) from The Shining - but then it sorta loses its way in the second act. Audience score: 15%. Yeah, that's about right.

For offbeat Western lovers, do check out The Sisters Brothers (2018) starring John C. Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix, Jake Gyllenhaal.

Excellent soundtrack also.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Await Further Instructions. From RottenTomatoes: "It's Christmas Day and the Milgram family wake to find a mysterious black substance (it's supposedly metal) surrounding their house. Something monumental is clearly happening right outside their door, but what exactly - an industrial accident, a terrorist attack, nuclear war? Descending into terrified arguments, they turn on the television, desperate for any information. On screen a message glows ominously: 'Stay Indoors and Await Further Instructions'."

This was actually a pretty decent movie, with a very interesting premise, until the cheesy, '80s-era B movie FX ruined it at the end. RT scores: 80%, 25%. Yep, only 25% of the audience liked it. Me:
    I'm gonna hafta check this one out! Sounds like my kinda thang
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

The wife and I finally checked out Bohemian Rhapsody today, just in time for the Oscars tonight. We both really enjoyed it, although I was noticing inaccuracies throughout. But they didn't really bother me, as the spirit of the band seemed to still come through. The guy who played Brian May looked and sounded exactly like him!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

Malicious (2018; not the Molly Ringwald movie). From RT: "A young college professor and his pregnant wife unwittingly release a malevolent entity with murderous intentions."

It started off promising, altho, I don't recall any new ideas - hell, it even borrowed (stole?) from The Shining - but then it sorta loses its way in the second act. Audience score: 15%. Yeah, that's about right.
    I liked both of these.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence