Page 310 of 394 FirstFirst ... 210260300306307308309310311312313314320360 ... LastLast
Results 7,726 to 7,750 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not at all into musicals or stage plays, unless those stage plays are Shakespeare, and are visually top notch productions.
    You're selling yourself short then. When I was in the service I saw a handful of plays on Broadway because we could get free tickets through the USO. They were all very good to excellent. The best was the George Bernard Shaw comedy of errors, You Never Can Tell, starring John Cullum - yes, the John Cullum - as a wise and humorous waiter.

I did see the musical comedy Oh! Calcutta!, tho, which was pretty funny. Although, if I'm being honest, the best part was all the nudity. It also included a sketch written by John Lennon.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I grew up hearing a lot of old musicals, and my mom who was a singer and dancer was often in the local productions of them (Music Man, Pajama Game, Brigadoon, Pirates Of Penzance, etc.) and I'd hear her rehearse the songs. We also had a lot of musical records in the house, like Oliver and South Pacific. My parents often watched the film versions when they'd air on TV too, a lot of 40s and 50s golden age Hollywood stuff. So I have more of a soft spot for musicals than some here probably do. If I didn't grow up with that background, I probably wouldn't.
    I enjoy the older musical comedies. The Astaire Rogers movies are probably my favorite. Most of Astaire's later stuff is pretty good to. The King and I , very good. West Side Story. Lots of good stuff. Plenty of non starters to , 42St comes to mind with the rest of the Busby Berkley stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I enjoy the older musical comedies. The Astaire Rogers movies are probably my favorite. Most of Astaire's later stuff is pretty good to. The King and I , very good. West Side Story. Lots of good stuff. Plenty of non starters to , 42St comes to mind with the rest of the Busby Berkley stuff.
    Yes, my parents both loved Fred Astaire. When I was a young child I used to watch lots of those movies with them. A lot of MGM productions as I recall too. My parents liked Jane Powell, Doris Day, June Allyson and Elizabeth Taylor. Movies like For Me And My Gal, A Date With Judy, On Moonlight Bay. I still remember them. A Date With Judy stands out because it starred Wallace Beery, who my grandfather (a boxer) was such a ringer for, he was a stand-in for some of his boxing scenes in The Champ (from 1931, not the Jon Voight remake). He also used to do promo shots for him for local movie houses. It was cheaper and nobody knew the difference. I have a few photos in my old family albums of him doing this stuff.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I don't know why but I don't consider The Blues Brothers a musical.

As for The Rocky Horror Picture Show, no one would have given it a second notice if it wasn't for the audience participation.
    I loved Rocky Horror before I even knew about the audience participation
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I loved Rocky Horror before I even knew about the audience participation
    The audience participation is my least favourite thing about it. I prefer to watch the DVD at home where I can hear the songs and dialogue. Call me crazy, but an entire crowd chanting and throwing specific items in unison in clockwork fashion has zero appeal to me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    It's not a musical, but the movie last night was The Northman (2022), a very decent story about Vikings. Still puzzling over how an Australian woman became a Viking queen (good, though)...but I guess all your actors can't be Alexander Skarsgard or Bjork. Or can they? In a nutshell, a Viking prince must avenge his father's murder. Should it have been a musical? Hardanger fiddle or black metal? I thought I heard some Hardanger fiddle in the score, but if so, it was uncredited. Filmed in Iceland and Ireland.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    It's not a musical, but the movie last night was The Northman (2022), a very decent story about Vikings. Still puzzling over how an Australian woman became a Viking queen (good, though)...but I guess all your actors can't be Alexander Skarsgard or Bjork. Or can they? In a nutshell, a Viking prince must avenge his father's murder. Should it have been a musical? Hardanger fiddle or black metal? I thought I heard some Hardanger fiddle in the score, but if so, it was uncredited. Filmed in Iceland and Ireland.
    Saw it in IMAX. I am a big fan of Robert Eggers films, but this one didn't quite live up to my expectations given that it was his first big budget film. I liked it, but didn't love it. I think I liked "The VVitch" and "The Lighthouse" a bit better.

I admit it: I love musicals. For me, West Side Story (not Spielberg's remake) and Fiddler on the Roof are two nigh-perfect movies.

But I love it all, from Disney's Lion King to Avenue Q's pisstake on Sesame Street, to Hamilton to Spamalot to, uh, Urinetown. Mary Poppins to Wicked to Into the Woods.

I even like the sequel to Rocky Horror, Shock Treatment in fact, I'll argue that it's a better movie on almost every level than RHPS. (But what's better than either is The Phantom of the Paradise, relased about the same time as RHPS. It's sort of the antidote to RHPS, a movie about the very dark dark side of all that decadance RHPS celebrates. Plus, it has Jessica Harper, who also plays Janet in Shock Treatment, and Paul Williams, who, well, Paul motherfucking Williams.)

I could go on. The Sound of Music, Singin' in the Rain, the compleat works of Gilbert and Sullivan, A Damsel in Distress...

(...h'mmm, that one deserves special comment. Fred Astaire, Joan Fontaine, George Burns and Gracie Allen, and some great character actors. Based on a novel by P.G. Wodehouse. Songs by the Gerswhins. Academy-award winning choreography by Hermes Pan. And the odds are, you've never heard of it. Am I right? But there's a decent chance that you've heard a couple of the songs: "A Foggy Night in London Town" and "Nice Work If You Can Get It.")

Musicals require a special suspension of disbelief, the idea that someone in an emotionally stressful situation will suddenly burst into song. (There was a lovely Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode that played with that very idea.) But it is, to my mind, no harder than suspending disbelief that those reporters knew Kane's last word when the movie carefully establishes that he dies alone; or that a goofball angel can take a man into an alternate world where he never existed; or that you can fire one M16 with each arm and not be knocked on your ass by the double recoil. (That one actually requires more suspension than musicals. I myself have been known to burst into song in stressful situations -- though not, usually, an original song composed for the moment...)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw it in IMAX. I am a big fan of Robert Eggers films, but this one didn't quite live up to my expectations given that it was his first big budget film. I liked it, but didn't love it. I think I liked "The VVitch" and "The Lighthouse" a bit better.
    I saw both of those. I didn't know the same director made all three. The Northman wasn't the best film I've seen, but I was in the mood for a Viking movie last night, and it fit the bill. I did nod off in the middle part, a bit, but the overall story, hallucinatory shamanistic visions, and location filming were quite good. We don't have an IMAX near here. Bet the volcano looked almost life-size that way.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I admit it: I love musicals. For me, West Side Story (not Spielberg's remake) and Fiddler on the Roof are two nigh-perfect movies.

But I love it all, from Disney's Lion King to Avenue Q's pisstake on Sesame Street, to Hamilton to Spamalot to, uh, Urinetown. Mary Poppins to Wicked to Into the Woods.

I even like the sequel to Rocky Horror, Shock Treatment in fact, I'll argue that it's a better movie on almost every level than RHPS. (But what's better than either is The Phantom of the Paradise, relased about the same time as RHPS. It's sort of the antidote to RHPS, a movie about the very dark dark side of all that decadance RHPS celebrates. Plus, it has Jessica Harper, who also plays Janet in Shock Treatment, and Paul Williams, who, well, Paul motherfucking Williams.)

I could go on. The Sound of Music, Singin' in the Rain, the compleat works of Gilbert and Sullivan, A Damsel in Distress...

(...h'mmm, that one deserves special comment. Fred Astaire, Joan Fontaine, George Burns and Gracie Allen, and some great character actors. Based on a novel by P.G. Wodehouse. Songs by the Gerswhins. Academy-award winning choreography by Hermes Pan. And the odds are, you've never heard of it. Am I right? But there's a decent chance that you've heard a couple of the songs: "A Foggy Night in London Town" and "Nice Work If You Can Get It.")

Musicals require a special suspension of disbelief, the idea that someone in an emotionally stressful situation will suddenly burst into song. (There was a lovely Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode that played with that very idea.) But it is, to my mind, no harder than suspending disbelief that those reporters knew Kane's last word when the movie carefully establishes that he dies alone; or that a goofball angel can take a man into an alternate world where he never existed; or that you can fire one M16 with each arm and not be knocked on your ass by the double recoil. (That one actually requires more suspension than musicals. I myself have been known to burst into song in stressful situations -- though not, usually, an original song composed for the moment...)

Yes , Mary Poppins , quite good. Sound Of Music to. Can't watch more than 5 minutes of the Spielberg WEst Side Story without killing it.

Alright, I'll confess, I liked to varying degrees The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Mary Poppins, and Paint Your Wagon. However, the only one of those I'd actively watch again is Paint Your Wagon. I've also liked a few of the old B&W musicals with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers; those I'd still watch if I stumbled upon them on TCM.

But I dislike the Busby Berkeley type and the kind like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers or Oklahoma! or West Side Story. In fact, when I finally saw WSS, I didn't care for it at all and thought it was overrated.

A thought I had when I was watching WSS: Natalie Wood went from the Sharks to the fishes.

A great quote I saw many years ago from Ann Richards: “Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did. She just did it backward and in high heels.”

Oh, and of course The Beatles' movies are good... or watchable.

And I guess I have a soft spot for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

One that I've always wanted to see, for some reason, but still haven't: Cabaret.

In general, musicals seem to me like movies ruined by singing and dancing.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I love Willy Wonka but I don't regard it as a musical, just a movie with music segments.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I saw both of those. I didn't know the same director made all three. The Northman wasn't the best film I've seen, but I was in the mood for a Viking movie last night, and it fit the bill. I did nod off in the middle part, a bit, but the overall story, hallucinatory shamanistic visions, and location filming were quite good. We don't have an IMAX near here. Bet the volcano looked almost life-size that way.
    Yes, to my knowledge those are his only films so far. "The VVitch" was his first movie. I agree that "The Northman" dragged a bit in the middle.

The audience participation is my least favourite thing about it. I prefer to watch the DVD at home where I can hear the songs and dialogue. Call me crazy, but an entire crowd chanting and throwing specific items in unison in clockwork fashion has zero appeal to me.
    Saw RHPS back in the day, when it was "the cool thing to do," with all of the props and audience participation, etc. I didn't get it. Thought the film was awful and the participation stuff was stupid.

Never got the hype.

I watched The Lighthouse a few months ago after hearing and reading a lot of great reviews and I was a little underwhelmed. Might need to watch it again. I'm very interested in watching The VVitch, though - looks like a fun October film to watch. And The Northman definitely interests me, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Saw RHPS back in the day, when it was "the cool thing to do," with all of the props and audience participation, etc. I didn't get it. Thought the film was awful and the participation stuff was stupid.

Never got the hype.
    I love the soundtrack, and I enjoy the ode to Sci-fi/horror b-movies. It also has some pretty funny moments IMO.

I'm very interested in watching The VVitch, though - looks like a fun October film to watch.
    You should then, it's very good IMO. I found the dialogue a bit difficult to follow the first time, especially Ralph Ineson's voice. So captions may be helpful. But yeah, great little horror that was filmed using only natural light. It was shot up near Algonquin Provincial Park, not far from where we cottage at Thanksgiving (Canadian).

The VVitch is returning to HBO for those who missed it. Wouldst thou like the taste of butter?

I was bewildered and enthralled by The Lighthouse. I didn't pick up on all the mythology subtexts but the performances were fascinating.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    LOL! I wuz gonna say I don't do musicals either but if Clockwork Orange counts, I'm all in! One of my favorite flicks.

I found the dialogue a bit difficult to follow the first time, especially Ralph Ineson's voice. So captions may be helpful.
    I use captions just about on everything these days. I thought it was because I'm just getting old, but I've been reading more that younger people always use captions, as well, mostly because they're used to it from TikTok (which apparently captions everything?) and because modern sound mixing doesn't seem to prioritize dialogue.

Either way, I find that I'm getting more out of the content with captions on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The VVitch is returning to HBO for those who missed it. Wouldst thou like the taste of butter?
    Yes, that preview before House of the Dragon last night of what HBO has on the horizon was pretty impressive.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You should then, it's very good IMO. I found the dialogue a bit difficult to follow the first time, especially Ralph Ineson's voice. So captions may be helpful. But yeah, great little horror that was filmed using only natural light. It was shot up near Algonquin Provincial Park, not far from where we cottage at Thanksgiving (Canadian).
    Agree, the dialogue used was authentic for the time period and it is sometimes difficult to understand what they are saying.

Never got the hype.

I watched The Lighthouse a few months ago after hearing and reading a lot of great reviews and I was a little underwhelmed. Might need to watch it again. I'm very interested in watching The VVitch, though - looks like a fun October film to watch. And The Northman definitely interests me, too.
    I can understand that about The Lighthouse. It is certainly one dark, and is basically a two person play. Regarding The VVitch, I was slightly underwhelmed with the ending, but not sure how they could have done it differently . When watching it keep in mind that I believe it was Anya Taylor-Joy's first film, and she is simply amazing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The VVitch Wouldst thou like the taste of butter?

Watch out for that goat!

Watch out for that goat!
    black phillip offers options.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I use captions just about on everything these days. I thought it was because I'm just getting old, but I've been reading more that younger people always use captions, as well, mostly because they're used to it from TikTok (which apparently captions everything?) and because modern sound mixing doesn't seem to prioritize dialogue.

Either way, I find that I'm getting more out of the content with captions on.
    I'm exactly the same. I think my hearing is pretty good still, but I often can't make out a word of what is being said, like the actors are mumbling or almost whispering the lines. I can't figure it out because this never used to be the case. And I can't stand when they have a scene between two people on the phone, and they keep showing the person who isn't speaking, so we hear the other person through the phone line. I can never understand a word of it.

Plus, our central A/C is quite loud and runs constantly in the summer, which makes captions essential.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I love Willy Wonka but I don't regard it as a musical, just a movie with music segments.
    I agree, actually, and is how I feel about The Blues Brothers, too.

I agree about the movie but enjoyed the participation somewhat.

I worked at a theater in the early '80s where they had a midnight showing. One time I got an idea for the "great Scott" scene when people throw toilet paper. I don't know if anyone remembers this but back then some businesses used the kind of TP that was more like napkins, which is what our theater used. I got a pack of it and tore one side of the wrapper. When everyone threw their TP, I threw that pack into the air and it separated, with all those individual pieces floating down like confetti. It was awesome!

I watched The Lighthouse a few months ago after hearing and reading a lot of great reviews and I was a little underwhelmed.
    I was more than a little underwhelmed.

I'm very interested in watching The VVitch, though - looks like a fun October film to watch.
    Love that movie. And, yes, as Progatron suggested, watch with the captions because the dialogue is authentic. It takes place in the 17th century and Eggers used letters and other documents from the time to get the dialogue right, so it's bit hard to understand without reading it.

The reason I love the movie so much, tho, is because I've read some history and seen a documentary or two about "old world" superstitions that inspired the hysteria and instigated the witch trials in Europe and New England. With this movie, Eggers is asking, "what if it was all true?"

I use captions just about on everything these days. I thought it was because I'm just getting old... and because modern sound mixing doesn't seem to prioritize dialogue.
    It's a combination and can also depend on the genre. Mostly it's because of a movement in film to make dialogue naturalistic, so "modern" actors don't enunciate properly. The earliest film I ever noticed it was Brando in On the Waterfront and I'd suggest method actors are much more guilty of it than classically trained actors. For action movies, your latter point is correct. Sort of. A lot of movies are mixed now for 5.1 or 7.1 and if you don't have that kind of sound system, my understanding is the dialogue can get lost. If you only have stereo, there are different sound settings for your TV and receiver that can enhance dialogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The reason I love the movie so much, tho, is because I've read some history and seen a documentary or two about "old world" superstitions that inspired the hysteria and instigated the witch trials in Europe and New England. With this movie, Eggers is asking, "what if it was all true?"
    This is largely why it has my interest.

That, and Anya Taylor-Joy, of course.