Page 138 of 397 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188238 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I thought about editing it down.
    You're fine. Don't apologize. I read the whole thing because I wanted to. I had a choice.

Also, it's spelled "Goddammit". Or at least that's how they spelled it in Mad magazine way back when.
    You're going to take grammar/spelling lessons from Mad? lol

According to Oxford, there are various spellings but I always use that one because if you break it down into separate words or hyphenate it, it comes out God-damn-it. "Damn" meaning to condemn or doom or pass judgement against. Damm, otoh, is an old, alternative spelling of dam, from the German word damm. And I don't think the intention of the phrase is that we're asking God to dam something up... unless a river is overflowing its banks.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

You're going to take grammar/spelling lessons from Mad? lol
    Not just Mad, but also Guitar Player, and every other publications that didn't capitalize "scuba" or started sentences with words like "And", "but", "or", etc (which my schoolteachers always insisted was a no-no).

Watched Inception last night with my son.

What an overlong confusing mess.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Dam!
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Hidden Figures--The story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program. Pretty good movie.

Schramm: Into the Mind of a Serial Killer--German weirdness about the last recollections of a serial killer. I believe it was one of the video nasties back in the day. So so, shock for shock's sake.

9. A couple somehow slides out of time, and finds themselves meeting the people who build and dress each minute of time. It's explained that every minute, we all move from one space to another, or something like that, and somehow they've gotten stuck in one of the minutes that have been used. So they're told they have to remain, because nobody's supposed to know about this. But they escape, with the idea that if they could step into one of the minutes "to come" or whatever, they'll get pulled along, and their lives will go on as they should.
    I loved that one. A variation of that concept is the basis of Stephen King's The Langoliers.

There was another one, a very concise piece with a pitch-perfect ending. "I of Newton" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_of_Newton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQ6ZC8EUQ0

Sherman Hemsley is a math professor and Ron Glass is a demon. The wiki entry above summarizes the tale much better than I, but in short, Hemsley has to ask a question or tell the demon to perform a task. If the demon cannot answer or accomplish the task, Hemsley's soul is spared. The denouement has stuck with me for years. Definitely worth watching the YT vid. It's only 8:48
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

BTW, there were a lot of Twilight Zone/Outer Limits knock offs in the 80's. I remember a show called The Dark Room, which apparently only ran for something like 7 or 8 episodes, but it was hosted by James Coburn, who did his monologues from a literal photography dark room, and each story would begin with a zoom in on a photo (so I guess in away this was more like Night Gallery) that would turn into the first shot of the story.
    I remember The Dark Room. But yeah, it seemed like a retread of Night Gallery, which itself was definitely a subpar Twilight Zone. Night Gallery wasn't helped by the fact that it seemed to recycle a lot of the actors that were in the Love Boat/Love American Style class whereas Twilight Zone managed to capture a lot of stars on the cusp of breaking through or just guys who would slum for a great story (Burgess Meredith).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I remember The Dark Room. But yeah, it seemed like a retread of Night Gallery, which itself was definitely a subpar Twilight Zone. Night Gallery wasn't helped by the fact that it seemed to recycle a lot of the actors that were in the Love Boat/Love American Style class whereas Twilight Zone managed to capture a lot of stars on the cusp of breaking through or just guys who would slum for a great story (Burgess Meredith).
    Rod Serling regretted doing Night Gallery. He didn't write the stories, he was just used as a way to draw TZ fans
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Rod Serling regretted doing Night Gallery. He didn't write the stories, he was just used as a way to draw TZ fans
    He needed the $$ for ciggerettes

The thing about Night Gallery is some of the stories were just flat out stupid, like one about astronauts on the moon being attacked by giant mice (presumably playing off the old "green cheese" myth?)

To be honest, there's only two that I can remember clearly that I really liked, the one with Arte Johnson as the DJ in Hell, and the one with the hippie who dies and goes to Hell and finds it's a lot more boring than he expected. One thing that really pissed me off was, back in December of 2007, we changed TV services, and the new service had the now defunct Chiller channel, and one of the things Chiller was showing was Night Gallery. So I got into a groove setting the DVR to record it and watching it, etc. But then when the new year started, suddenly Night Gallery was pulled from the schedule. Bummer. And everything else that was worth watching on Chiller also went away. No wonder it's now defunct!
    A variation of that concept is the basis of Stephen King's The Langoliers.
    That's the one where everyone on the airplane disappears except for like a dozen people, and they land the plane at an empty airport and so on?

I'm surprised to find out there's a separate Wiki page for each of the stories in the 80's Twilight Zone. Maybe I should edit my previous post, after all.

Something I just found out, the 80's TZ episode about the Elvis impersonator, The Once And Future King, was written by George RR Martin. You know that name don't you? He's the guy who also gave us Game Of Thrones!!!!! It's a small world after all, indeed!

OK, so the 80's TZ stories I liked are:

A Little Peace And Quiet
    The Once And Future King
    Examination Day
    The Shadow Man
    The Library
    To See The Invisible Man
    Quarantine
    Welcome To Winfield
    A Message From Charity
    Memories
    Profile In Silver
    Dead Run
    The Card
    A Matter Of Minutes
    Shelter Skelter
    Shadow Play (and I was right, it is a remake of an episode from the original series)

I think that's all of the ones that were in my previous post (which I've deleted) plus a few others that I stumbled while going through the Wiki pages.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-20-2019 at 10:23 PM.

OK, talking about Night Gallery, the ones I liked are:

The Cemetery
    The Flip Side Of Satan
    Hell's Bells

OK, those are the only three I recognize from the one sentence plot synopses on Wiki (unlike Twilight Zone, Night Gallery has one page listing all stories in the series). Well, there's also The Nature Of The Enemy, which I think is the one about the giant mice on the moon.

Watched, 5 Million Years to Earth or, Quatermass and the Pit. One of the more intelligent and thought provoking sci-fi's of the 1960's. I knew there were others in the Quatermass series but I don't think I've seen them. Are there any as good as this one? It's British which gives it even more flavor for me. Don't know how I missed the others.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    According to their website, they have one in Greenfield and one in Brookfield.
    Brookfield which is just out the door will get back to me on this.

OK, talking about Night Gallery, the ones I liked are:

The Cemetery
    The Flip Side Of Satan
    Hell's Bells

OK, those are the only three I recognize from the one sentence plot synopses on Wiki (unlike Twilight Zone, Night Gallery has one page listing all stories in the series). Well, there's also The Nature Of The Enemy, which I think is the one about the giant mice on the moon.
    I've seen 1 and 3 and your right, they are very good.

Why is it in sci-fi's and monster movie posters, the girl is always being carried off in her underwear? Not that I'm complaining mind you.
    Last edited by Staun; 06-21-2019 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Why is it in sci-fi's and monster movie posters, the girl is always being carried off in her underwear? Not that I'm complaining mind you.
    I suppose it's just to make her look that much more helpless.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I suppose it's just to make her look that much more helpless.
    Exactly what I thought.

And if anyone would like to post some things to illustrate the point, I'll be happy to look them over carefully and grade them by the end of class.

My personal reigning champion

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Because the PR people know their audience, that's why. Same reason why you never see a guy being carried off on said posters.

Because the PR people know their audience, that's why. Same reason why you never see a guy being carried off on said posters.
    I remain thankful for small favors.

My personal reigning champion

Ripley could certainly be the heavyweight champ but was this on a movie poster?

Watched, 5 Million Years to Earth or, Quatermass and the Pit. One of the more intelligent and thought provoking sci-fi's of the 1960's. I knew there were others in the Quatermass series but I don't think I've seen them. Are there any as good as this one? It's British which gives it even more flavor for me. Don't know how I missed the others.
    The one with the grasshopper aliens?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The one with the grasshopper aliens?
    That's it. You owe it all to weed jumpers.