Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

^ I remember waiting all week to see Alice on that episode!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    ...I zeroed in on Susan Saint James...
    Oh, yeah. She was hot!

I just remembered, wasn't Nancy Walker their wisecracking maid?
    A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist. ~ Sir Humphrey Appleby

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    But that was the whole point of Columbo. It was more of a whydunnit than a whodunnit...if that makes sense.
    Yeah, I know. It was just after the first few seasons, or so, we got tired of his shtick.

Watched Phantasm last night for the first time in around 35 years. It was funnier than it was scary, but mostly it was very campy.
    There are a bunch of films in the series, but they're probably worse, unless they had a bigger gore effects budget.

Saw "Tolkien" yesterday, a nice, quite romantic movie about the years of the writer up till he wrote The Hobbit.
    There was a scene in which Tolkien sits in a restaurant with Edith and talks about how he loves the word "Cellar Door".
    I had to think about a scene in Donnie Darko in which the femal teacher also spoke about her love for that word; I'm sure this was inspired by the live of Tolkien.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Watched Phantasm last night for the first time in around 35 years. It was funnier than it was scary, but mostly it was very campy.
    I've always thought it was an intense picture, personally. The ending, especially, the first time that gave me the creeps, because I didn't see it coming. It's a very atmospheric picture, as most good horror films tend to be.

I have the DVD, with director Don Coscarelli doing the commentary. He said he was really upset when Star Wars came out, and he saw the Jawas in it, because he these hooded small people in his picture, which he had been working on for a couple years before Star Wars came out. And the flying orb was thrown by a baseball pitcher, using I guess a curveball technique, and then they ran the footage in reverse.

The only thing I didn't like was what i believe Joe Bob Briggs once referred to in his Drive In Totals as the "gratuitous soft rock jam" or something like that. But I still think it's a pretty cool picture. I'll take it over any of the crap masquerading as "horror" today.

I've never seen any of the sequels, not sure if Coscarelli was even involved in any of them. I have seen his other classic picture, Bubba Ho-Tep, with Bruce Campbell as an elderly Elvis and Ossie Davis (!) as an elderly JFK (!?!?!?!?) fighting a reanimated mummy, who's feasting on the souls of the residents of their nursing home. One of the most hilarious things I've ever experienced is the Bubba Ho Tep audio commentary, which is credited to "The King", which is obviously Bruce Campbell, "doing" Elvis, who, so he tells us, has been asked to watch and comment on the movie. And he completely rips it to shreds, complaining about the profanity ("first of all, you can't talk to a woman that way, and secondly, that kind of language is unnecessary"), the salaciousness (balking at the scene where Elvis asks JFK what Marilyn Monroe was like in the sack), and just totally verbalizing his dislike for the picture.

I love the bit where he explains the proper way to make a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. He makes a brilliant allusion to Phantasm, during the flying scarab scene.

"What I'd say is, 'Don't mess with The King...', or 'Don't mess with the King', or "Don't mess with the King'...see, you don't have to use cuss words"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Cold Pursuit with Liam Neeson, wonderfully silly amateur vigilante movie, loads of humor. Loved it.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Men In Black - International - I know I should be slagging this film. Full of before seen CGI effects but I liked the cast and story was lighthearted and fun. Laughed a few times.

Watched Cold Pursuit with Liam Neeson, wonderfully silly amateur vigilante movie, loads of humor. Loved it.
    We watched that last night. Liam Neeson has made so many revenge action movies that I didn't expect much of Cold Pursuit. We were pleasantly surprised, and really dug the dark comedy.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

Apollo 11 - extraordinary new doc about the Apollo 11 mission using newly discovered and never seen before 70mm footage, which has been enhanced for 4K resolution. From the shots of the launch, to the extraordinary scenes on the moon and the re entry and splashdown, its a fascinating and interesting take on the mission.

There is no narration, its all done using the voices of those involved at the time, with some nostalgic old style graphic animations to show the path and trajectory of the craft. The filmmakers also try to use footage that is not familiar to us, alternate angles and shots rather than the familiar footage we usually see. Also included is footage shot by the astronauts themselves.

To appreciate it you will need a decent size 4K TV, and a surround system. Good soundtrack too, made using only instruments that were available in 1969.

If this is the sort of thing you like, and as someone who is old enough to have watched the moon landings live, then this is right up your street and highly recommended.
    gotta see this

I remember seeing it on a round, 15" B/W TV with rabbit ears
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

But that was the whole point of Columbo. It was more of a whydunnit than a whodunnit...if that makes sense.

The mystery was in how Columbo would look for clues as to how the murder happened, and follow them through so that he could prove his case and make the arrest.

And it was that obstinacy, that tenacity of the character that was the appeal. And he also cleverly appeared to be a shambling, disheveled, forgetful guy who got on peoples nerves, but i always felt that he pretty much knew from the beginning that the person was guilty, he just had to find a way to prove it.
    spot on!
    of all the detectives of the 70s Columbo was head and shoulders above the rest for me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Just got a copy of The Twilight Zone hour episodes. They just don't run those but they are very very good.
    I could very well be the biggest TZ fan on the planet. That said... the hour-long format did not work very well for Rod Serling's style of storytelling. There tended to be a lot of obvious padding in season 4's stories IMO

the best hour-long (season 4) TZ episodes for me are:
    Valley Of The Shadow
    The Parallel

[slight gap]

Passage On The Lady Anne
    In His Image
    Mute
    Death Ship
    No Time Like The Past
    Of Late I Think Of Cliffordville
    The Incredible World Of Horace Ford
    On Thursday We Leave For Home

Re: Rod Serling. He went to Antioch College, which is about a 20 minute drive south of where I grew up. Antioch's first president was Horace Mann, the father of public education. Some other famous grads of Antioch include Jorma Kaukonen, Coretta Scott King, Leonard Nimoy, and Cliff Robertson. Its most famous faculty member is free-jazz musician Cecil Taylor.

Antioch has also always been known as a very progressive college, being the first to hire a woman professor and pay her the same as the men, as well as one of the first to allow African-American students. Antioch even stood up to the House Un-American Activities Committee refusing to fire faculty or expel students accused of being communists. It was also the first college to enact strict policies regarding sexual assault. And my sister remembers seeing guys at Antioch with long hair even before the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan.

Anyway, the point of all this is that Antioch was instrumental in shaping Serling's world view and career, especially when you look at the subject matter of his screenplays and other works.

I've been digging into TZ season 3 for the past few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I've been digging into TZ season 3 for the past few weeks.
    what are your favorites from season 3 Chris?

cool info about Serling's college Hal

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    gotta see this

I remember seeing it on a round, 15" B/W TV with rabbit ears
    Make sure you see the full 90 minute version though.

Over here in the UK they are showing it in an IMAX theatre for a one off presentation, but it's a cut-down 45 minute version of the movie.

Not sure if they are having theatrical presentations in the US, but if they are you should check the running time.

The US blu ray release, which is the version I have, is the complete version

Make sure you see the full 90 minute version though.

Over here in the UK they are showing it in an IMAX theatre for a one off presentation, but it's a cut-down 45 minute version of the movie.

Not sure if they are having theatrical presentations in the US, but if they are you should check the running time.

The US blu ray release, which is the version I have, is the complete version
    I'm hoping the version they show on CNN this weekend will be the full length one. If not, good to know there's a blu-ray available. I have an uncle who was the chief engineer of the guidance system test lab at MIT, and in learning more from him I've gained an active interest in everything involved in the Apollo project.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

what are your favorites from season 3 Chris?
    The Shelter
    It's a Good Life
    The Midnight Sun
    The Jungle
    Five Characters in Search of an Exit
    Dead Man's Shoes
    Kick the Can
    Young Man's Fancy

To be honest, I enjoyed every episode to a certain extent.

I could very well be the biggest TZ fan on the planet. That said... the hour-long format did not work very well for Rod Serling's style of storytelling. There tended to be a lot of obvious padding in season 4's stories IMO

the best hour-long (season 4) TZ episodes for me are:
    Valley Of The Shadow
    The Parallel

[slight gap]

Passage On The Lady Anne
    In His Image
    Mute
    Death Ship
    No Time Like The Past
    Of Late I Think Of Cliffordville
    The Incredible World Of Horace Ford
    On Thursday We Leave For Home
    I really liked: In His Image, Death Ship, Jezebel and On Thursday We Leave For Home. But no, around these parts they just don't show them. Been years since I've seen the sci-fi channel.
    The older I get, the better I was.

spot on!
    of all the detectives of the 70s Columbo was head and shoulders above the rest for me
    I would agree with Banacek, for me, a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I'm hoping the version they show on CNN this weekend will be the full length one. If not, good to know there's a blu-ray available. I have an uncle who was the chief engineer of the guidance system test lab at MIT, and in learning more from him I've gained an active interest in everything involved in the Apollo project.
    Apollo got us to the moon and back and it's hard not to be very interested. But, I give a big nod to the Gemini program. This is where we actually did things in space for the first time. Docking, space walks etc. Gemini 6 and 7 were both in space at the same time and iirc, one of them went out of control and started to rotate. Of course they got it back under control but I have a lot of interests in that program as well.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    spot on!
    I always liked The Rockford Files & The Sweeney
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What about Canon?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I always liked The Rockford Files & The Sweeney
    The Rockford Files was a good show. I always liked the intros, with people leaving answering machine messages for him. And it had one of the best theme songs, loved the synth melody and the guitar solo in the middle (which I believe I read was played by the same guy who played on the Barney Miller theme, whose name I can't remember, but it wasn't any of the suspects that I thought of).

At some point, someone posted a video on Youtube which presented the show's opening as if it were a modern day show. As I recall, it consisted of the phone ringing a few times, but instead of us hearing the message, it cuts to the recap of the opening fill that ends the theme.

The only thing I remember about Cannon really is he had a car phone about 20 years before everyone had one.

Since we are talking detectives and space, does anyone remember, The Andromeda Strain? Of course by todays standards, rather plain, but I liked the way they built up the excitement of the virus escaping.