Page 184 of 397 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, those terrible films like Carrie, Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and Misery might have been better if they featured Ramones songs.
    I have always found it interesting that the best King based films have very little to do with the horror genre that he is best known for.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have always found it interesting that the best King based films have very little to do with the horror genre that he is best known for.
    True. I've watched Shawshank so many times I cannot count it. Almost every time is very satisfying. In fact, I'd rate the movie in my top 5 of all time, Green Mile, Misery, and Stand by are also stellar storytelling and compelling movies.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Movies for Tough Times - Edgar Wright's list of his 100 favorite comedies

https://letterboxd.com/crew/list/edg...rite-comedies/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    No Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World???? Pfffffft. And there's an unspoken law against putting Bringing Up Baby and What's Up Doc? on the same list. They're essentially the same flick.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo

I have quite a few of the comedies on Edgar's list. Comedies are what we have been watching since the isolation began.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

just watched a very good 'parallel universe/time warp' movie

thing is, it was dubbed which I usually hate. It's a Spanish film called Mirage. Really enjoyed the mind-bending story despite the English dubbed acting... which really wasn't that bad actually
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Watched the Lil' Peep documentary Everybodys Everything on Netflix last night.

The emo rapper OD'd at age 21 a couple years ago.

Well done, tragic, sad and really long.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

I admit that at first glance I thought this was Edgar Winter's list of 100 favorite comedies. I thought, "This might be cool "
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

I counted about 32 movies on that list that I've seen. Actually, Iv'e seen a few of the others, but not to the extent that I feel that I'm fully conversant on them.

He left out Sixteen Candles. So he loses a few points there. But he included my three favorite Woody Allen movies, several Peter Sellers pictures, and one of the better Marx Brothers pictures (Duck Soup, of course), along with things like The Blues Brothers, This Is Spinal Tap, and a few others that I thought were great choices.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I counted about 32 movies on that list that I've seen. Actually, Iv'e seen a few of the others, but not to the extent that I feel that I'm fully conversant on them.

He left out Sixteen Candles. So he loses a few points there. But he included my three favorite Woody Allen movies, several Peter Sellers pictures, and one of the better Marx Brothers pictures (Duck Soup, of course), along with things like The Blues Brothers, This Is Spinal Tap, and a few others that I thought were great choices.
    I finally got to see a Woody flick, Manhattan. Meh, it was ok. He whines a lot trying to make himself seem witty was my takeaway.

One of the other movie channels is free for the week so I've got a few coming there plus quite a few left over from Showtime. Macgruber I'm doing now and it's so perfect in it's stupidity that I'm loving it. Any movie with ELPowell I'm in for.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I finally got to see a Woody flick, Manhattan. Meh, it was ok. He whines a lot trying to make himself seem witty was my takeaway.
    Don't think I've ever seen Manhattan. Really, it's his early movies you have to see that were great, namely Take The Money And Run, Bananas, Sleeper, and Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask. Annie Hall is pretty good too. I also liked Stardust Memories, which was kinda like his take on Fellini's 8 1/2. Another good one was the later Sweet And Lowdown.

Lists of best movies from any source is always going to disappoint. Ultimately it's what you think are the best movies, because it's all about personal opinion.

I never understand people who take these lists seriously and mean because their favorite movies are not on there, or moan because movies they hate are on there. Its other peoples opinions, it's what you think that matters.

Not having a go at people here by the way, just at the sort of people who seem to take such best movie lists and polls far too seriously.

The Irishmnan - a geriatric mafia movie. Extremely well done.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks to the list above I finally watched Safety Last. Dear God, that's brilliant, and it's on UToob.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Lists of best movies from any source is always going to disappoint. Ultimately it's what you think are the best movies, because it's all about personal opinion.

I never understand people who take these lists seriously and mean because their favorite movies are not on there, or moan because movies they hate are on there. Its other peoples opinions, it's what you think that matters.

Not having a go at people here by the way, just at the sort of people who seem to take such best movie lists and polls far too seriously.
    Correct on all points. It looks like he tried to cover the full history of cinema, which was a little ambitious, so I'm sure anyone else looking at that list is gonna say "But my favorite movie was left off!". So what?

And it's nto as bad as those "best guitarists" lists where they shoehorn Joni Mitchell, Kurt Cobain, Django Reinhardt , Johnny Ramone, and Jeff Beck all on the same list, just for the purposes of being "all inclusive" or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Irishmnan - a geriatric mafia movie. Extremely well done.
    And extremely too long.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    And extremely too long.
    Yeah. I watched it in two sittings.

And it's not as bad as those "best guitarists" lists where they shoehorn Joni Mitchell, Kurt Cobain, Django Reinhardt , Johnny Ramone, and Jeff Beck all on the same list, just for the purposes of being "all inclusive" or whatever.
    Yeah, I tend to avoid those lists. I recently saw a one of the 50 greatest guitarists. Fripp was 50 and McLaughlin was 49. lol What a joke.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Don't think I've ever seen Manhattan. Really, it's his early movies you have to see that were great, namely Take The Money And Run, Bananas, Sleeper, and Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex But Were Afraid To Ask. Annie Hall is pretty good too. I also liked Stardust Memories, which was kinda like his take on Fellini's 8 1/2. Another good one was the later Sweet And Lowdown.
    Totally agree. Some of his early stuff was hilarious, but most of his later stuff I find rather dull. Another kind of odd one that he did that l liked was "Zelig".

Totally agree. Some of his early stuff was hilarious, but most of his later stuff I find rather dull. Another kind of odd one that he did that l liked was "Zelig".
    I've seen bits of Zelig, but I don't think I ever saw the full film. I haven't too many of his later movies, just because they don't seem to play too often, it seems. Sweet And Lowdown I saw, probably, because it was his most recent and I made a point of seeing it when I played on IFC or Sundance or whichever, because I knew that Sean Penn's character is a jazz guitarist obsessed with Django Reinhardt.

I think The Purple Rose Of Cairo is as close to perfection as he ever got. Love that movie.

But talking of Manhattan it strikes me that is when Allen started getting into a laid back, sentimental phase. Manhattan was a kind of love letter to the city, and Broadway Danny Rose was very sentimental. And I started losing interest when I saw Radio Day, because it seemed to be a collection of stories starting with 'This is a really funny story', and they usually turned out to be mildly amusing at best.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I think The Purple Rose Of Cairo is as close to perfection as he ever got. Love that movie.

But talking of Manhattan it strikes me that is when Allen started getting into a laid back, sentimental phase. Manhattan was a kind of love letter to the city, and Broadway Danny Rose was very sentimental. And I started losing interest when I saw Radio Day, because it seemed to be a collection of stories starting with 'This is a really funny story', and they usually turned out to be mildly amusing at best.
    I will be honest. So many of his later movies were so New York centric, that it was kind of hard for me to relate to them. I have lived my whole life in the Midwest in a small city. I spent a summer in NYC back in the mid-80’s so I have been there, but the life depicted in many of Woody’s films is just kind of alien to me and I don’t always get the humor. His earlier films were just silly and generally more relatable to me. I don’t know if I am explaining myself very well……

Try "Midnight in Paris"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Blood Father

On Netflix . Mel Gibson stars as an ex con and ex alcoholic who lives in a trailer and tattoos people for income. His missing daughter
    calls out of the blue one day and has gotten herself in a ton of trouble with Latino gangs looking to kill her. What's a dad to do?

Gibson is excellent in this role as the grizzled old man trying to stay on the straight and narrow and avoid returning to prison, and his
    former lifestyle. I enjoyed this one.

Quote Originally Posted by roddenberry View Post
    Been a while since I was here. Was on Netflix the other night, and I caught "Spenser Confidential". So so movie, but it's fun to see Donnie Wahlberg get constant beatings throughout the movie. Story based on the popular "Spenser for Hire" TV show. Brain-disconnect entertainment, and a slightly cheesy conclusion, but it was fun.

Bob
    Agreed! This was a lot more fun than I expected.