Page 247 of 397 FirstFirst ... 147197237243244245246247248249250251257297347 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,175 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

I enjoyed a 'banned films' double feature last night

"The Devils," Ken Russell (restored 'fan' edit)
    "A Clockwork Orange," Stanley Kubrick

Both released over 50 years ago and banned in many countries, ACO is considered rightfully a classic while “The Devils” still languishes in a vault even after its director is long gone. Hopefully one day fans of this film don't have to go to 'drastic' measures to see an uncut version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Alien Nation was awesome and the TV series wasn't bad either
    Gary Graham is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I liked The Village. I wouldn't give it any awards or anything, but it was a decent watch.

My least favorite Shyamalan film is Signs. I thought the ending was just awful and looked very amateurish. Though, I've never seen The Lady in the Water, so that might be his worst.
    "Lady In The Water" is his worst IMO. I liked "Signs" ok and also liked "The Village" better than most people seem to.

We saw the new Matt Damon film “Stillwater” this afternoon. It is long and I thought it dragged in spots, but overall, I enjoyed it. The story was inspired by the Amanda Knox case, although it is a fictional story.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The latest Amazon original movie is quite good!

Jolt

Kate Beckinsale is a woman with massive impulse control and anger management issues. To keep from hurting others, her therapist designed a vest full of
    electrodes that she wears. When a violent thought starts to take action, she depresses a button that causes the vest to "jolt" her. Which has been pretty
    successful. Events soon happen that spin her life radically. Will the vest still be enough to stop her? Watch and find out! A fun action packed film.
    Fun movie, very silly
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched Nomadland last night. Decent, if drear, movie about the loss of jobs and lack of retirement funds available starting in 2008 and the following "Great Recession." The focus of the film was people who bought a van or RV with their life savings and traveled the country, looking for cheap places to park and for temporary employment. 2008 was the last year I had full time employment, so I can relate. I can imagine things getting even worse than they are now, with us devolving into Mad Max Road Warrior type gangs, adding violence to the poverty, as Congress continues to do nothing.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Did you ever watch a movie and then revisit it later and find it really not great or doesn't have the original impact (or the reverse)? For me, Collateral with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx had a huge impact this first time I watched it, for the second time, still a good movie, but it lost it punch. For the reverse, the first time I saw the Untouchables it didn't really resonate. I've watched it 10 times since and every time it is an outstanding movie, full of suspense.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Did you ever watch a movie and then revisit it later and find it really not great or doesn't have the original impact (or the reverse)?
    I can think of three off the top of my head that didn't have the same impact as the first watch: The Usual Suspects, Se7en, and The Sixth Sense, all of which I still think are great movies. But the loss of impact is due to a "big reveal" as a plot device so maybe those aren't good examples.

For movies that have lost their dramatic impact, I can think of several. But that's been due more to overexposure than a reassessment, so maybe that doesn't count, either. Still, I limit my viewings of Casablanca, Twelve Angry Men, Psycho, The Train, Stalag 17 and some other classics so I can sort of forget how good they are.

As for the reverse. I can't think of anytime that's ever happened to me.

I do know there's a move where every time I see it I always have the thought that I've forgotten how good it is. But I can't think of what it is, right now.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    You know what has NO twist? That piece o' crap called The Happening. It just...ends.

People start to walk backwards...the horror!
    A good movie for an underwear model to star in!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Did you ever watch a movie and then revisit it later and find it really not great or doesn't have the original impact (or the reverse)?
    In the world of science fiction we have a phrase for that: we say "the Suck Fairy got to it," meaning either (a) it isn't as good as I remembered, or (b) I liked it back then but it's embarassing today because things we took for granted then are unacceptable today. (Good example of the latter: a lot of old SF has really, really terrible characterization and treatment of female character -- a young Isaac Asimov claimed that women characters should not even be permitted in SF.) Anyway, it's a good expression, and it certainly applies to movies, and nonSF books, and proabably any form of popular art as well.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Saw "The Green Knight" this afternoon. The critics are raving about this one and it is beautifully filmed and acted, but this is one of those films where I will have to watch a YouTube "explained" video as I was left scratching my head by the end as to what the heck I had just seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    RE: Signs twist. Why would aliens come to a planet were 70% was their kryptonite?
    Why would aliens advanced enough to be able to travel to another planet wear such awful rubber suits?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We saw the new Matt Damon film “Stillwater” this afternoon. It is long and I thought it dragged in spots, but overall, I enjoyed it. The story was inspired by the Amanda Knox case, although it is a fictional story.
    Amanda Knox is NOT happy about this, and has a lengthy thread on Twitter expressing her concerns. She makes some excellent points.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Last night we watched one that we missed at the time (2013), August: Osage County. Terrific character drama with a high profile ensemble cast. Excellent acting!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Amanda Knox is NOT happy about this, and has a lengthy thread on Twitter expressing her concerns. She makes some excellent points.
    Yes, I have seen her comments. The film is not based on her story, although there are some very basic similarities. For me, I think the film is different enough that I am not sure that Amanda has much of an argument, but at the same time I guess I can see where she is coming from.

I neglected to mention I finally saw Tenet a couple weeks ago. I thought it was alright but at the same time I felt it was more an exercise in how to fuck with the audience's head than anything. I think Christopher Nolan has made some really good movies, especially Memento and Inception, but others, like this one, The Dark Knight, Dunkirk, and Interstellar haven't wowed me while others like Insomnia and The Prestige left me wanting.

Nolan knows how to make a really good looking movie but, ultimately, can't really hold a candle to David Fincher or Denis Villeneuve. Not that many can.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Oh, man, I freaking love The Prestige.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Shadowlands is about C.S.Lewis (Narnia Chronicles, etc.) a world-renowned Christian theologian, writer and professor, leads a passionless life until he meets spirited poet Joy Gresham from the U.S. Showing over on YT, if you've not seen it or want to rewatch it.

Wow. I think The Dark Knight is pretty much a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Agreed.

My only issue with the Dark Knight is those quick-cut fight scenes. Other than that, Nolan (and Heath Ledger) nailed it. Actually, Heath Ledger didn't need a nail, he had a pencil.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I am not big on comic book movies, but that one I think is great.

It's a wonderful movie, but is in several respects unfaithful to the actual facts of CSL's life.

Which, I suppose, is the most we can hope for with these things.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

There was also a '85 made-for-tv film for BBC Wales I found out the other day without the Hollywood sheen, though the Hopkins/Winger version doesn't bother me.

Black Summer is another zombie series on Netflix. There are now two seasons. If The Walking Dead series has lost its luster (I still watch the series, except that newer spinoff with the younger people in it), you might enjoy it. It has faster moving zombies like 28 Days Later, but it's American produced. I watched about four episodes last night and it's pretty good.

To each their own, but I thought Joker was twice the movie The Dark Knight was.