Page 192 of 397 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196202242292 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 9911

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Don't forget his outstanding turn in Magnolia. Never understood the hate for Cruise.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For me a few that come to mind:

Color Of Money
    A Few Good Men
    The Firm
    Interview With A Vampire
    Jerry Mcguire
    Tropic Thunder (small part, but he was hilarious in it)
    No mention of Born On The Fourth Of July?

And for my money his best performance was in Magnolia.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For me a few that come to mind:
    Color Of Money
    That's the one with Paul Newman and the Eric Clapton song wasn't it?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Risky Business - classic role.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    No mention of Born On The Fourth Of July?

And for my money his best performance was in Magnolia.
    Yup, I forgot about both of those. Both good ones.

I've liked many Tom Cruise pictures. I think a lot of the hate is either over exposure or maybe jealousy. But who knows, people are fickle. My fave?

Minority Report, I don't hate Spielberg either
    Vanilla Sky
    I enjoyed most of the Mission Impossible series
    Rain Man
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Jack Reacher--yeah, I know the character in the book looked different, it was still a rockin show
    Born on the 4th of July
    Jerry Maguire

Remember My Name: a documentary about David Crosby, I only saw the back half of the film, tuning in when he was talking about his girlfriend who died in the late 60's and how her death really messed him up. Then they talk about the song Ohio, which then segues into a bit about the Kent State shooting, etc. Then he talks about his drug and legal problems during the 70's and 80's, his incarceration, how he got off drugs, got married, then he jumps to talking about how Graham Nash and Neil Young are both so pissed off at him they don't want to work with him. He basically says that none of the major musicians he made great music with want to work with him, naming specifically Roger McGuinn, Stills, Nash, and Young. And he kinda makes it sound like he's aware it's largely his fault. He also admits he can't really do more than a couple shows at a go anymore, because of his heart and everything and he believes he really only has a couple years left on Earth (with his wife Jan tearfully saying she's not sure how she's going to live without him).

There's virtually no discussion of the music at all, apart from Cros talking about Ohio, and Graham Nash talking about a song he wrote about David called Encore. And at the end of the film, it's mentioned David recently made an album with some "young musicians".

Overall a rather depressing film. I'm not sure if I want to see the front half of the film.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Overall a rather depressing film. I'm not sure if I want to see the front half of the film.
    I didn't find it depressing, it was more of a story of survival, against all odds. Really enjoyed the documentary and gave me more perspective on David. I read on PE that his latest works are amongst the best.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've liked many Tom Cruise pictures. I think a lot of the hate is either over exposure or maybe jealousy. But who knows, people are fickle. My fave?

Minority Report, I don't hate Spielberg either
    Vanilla Sky
    I enjoyed most of the Mission Impossible series
    Rain Man
    Edge of Tomorrow
    Jack Reacher--yeah, I know the character in the book looked different, it was still a rockin show
    Born on the 4th of July
    Jerry Maguire
    I think its the fact that he gravitates towards crowd pleasing commercial blockbusters, though he does throw in the odd curveball now and again.

And the fact that he is popular and has mass appeal does sometimes irritate a section if the public. He's quite prolific and always seems to be in the news and always has a new project on the go.

The media love him, and to an extent he seems to be all over the place. Some people see. To get irritated just by a photo of him or a mention of his name. But then again some people need to get a grip...

I think Cruise's scientology is part of the equation of dislike. The tide really seemed to shift after the Oprah couch jumping. As far as his movies , given the right role he does well. His range limitations as an actor might influence his role choices a penchant for action movies. Also the money cant be a turnoff. He's more versatile than many action stars. Better actor than Arnold ,the Rock , Vince disel and more. You can count on production value and top notch presentation with Cruise.
    Excellent in Collateral Damage , Rain Man , the spy comedy with Cameron Diaz ,Night and Day or something like that. And scores of other watchable films. He's no Nicholson but then again he's no Sandler either.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    For me an actors religion and off screen antics, maybe apart from obvious illegal, immoral or deviant practises, holds no interest for me whatsoever. I have no time for the gossip, the rumours, spurious claims in websites and youtube videos etc...especially of the 'why Hollywood wont hire X actor anymore' etc. Which are usually made up nonsense anyway.

Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich (2020)

Four part Netflix series that is a no holds barred account of Epstein's twenty plus years of trafficking underage girls.

Everything's here on the slime ball including his associations with Prince Andrew and Alan Dershowitz .

The survivors get a lot of air time also.

Highly recommended!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Four part Netflix series that is a no holds barred account of Epstein's twenty plus years of trafficking underage girls.

Everything's here on the slime ball including his associations with Prince Andrew and Alan Dershowitz .

The survivors get a lot of air time also.

Highly recommended!
    I have been thinking about that one. Will have to check it out.

I started watching it last night and it is pretty graphic and sordid. I am not sure every girl interviewed had to describe what happened to her. Perhaps just one description would have sufficed, to give viewers a general idea about what was going on, and then the other girls could just have been given room to vent their anger and feelings about Epstein. Maybe in the next three episodes there will be more about Epstein himself; his character and how he made his money, for example. It also wasn’t explained in the first episode why the Florida police did not act against him despite having so much evidence (but maybe that is in subsequent episodes). I am in two minds whether to carry on.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I think its the fact that he gravitates towards crowd pleasing commercial blockbusters, though he does throw in the odd curveball now and again. But then again some people need to get a grip...
    True, but seriously, that's about all they make these days: comic book superheros, action John Wick stuff, etc. Though I think some of his hate might stem from the perceive appearance of a rather healthy ego, too healthy at time, but then some of that might be spurred on by Scientology, Hollywood, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I started watching it last night and it is pretty graphic and sordid. I am not sure every girl interviewed had to describe what happened to her. Perhaps just one description would have sufficed, to give viewers a general idea about what was going on, and then the other girls could just have been given room to vent their anger and feelings about Epstein. Maybe in the next three episodes there will be more about Epstein himself; his character and how he made his money, for example. It also wasn’t explained in the first episode why the Florida police did not act against him despite having so much evidence (but maybe that is in subsequent episodes). I am in two minds whether to carry on.
    You are not really asking about the why of why Epstien was not prosecuted in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I think Cruise's scientology is part of the equation of dislike.
    Re: couch jumping. Yeah, a bit of a nutter there in that one, but then it's possible any publicity is good publicity. With all these type shows and the late night talk shows everything is more or less screened or okayed ahead of time. So it's not like Oprah didn't know it was going to happen--crowd pleasing antics. Otherwise I would have thought he drank some of Charlie Sheen's tiger milk.

True, but seriously, that's about all they make these days: comic book superheros, action John Wick stuff, etc. Though I think some of his hate might stem from the perceive appearance of a rather healthy ego, too healthy at time, but then some of that might be spurred on by Scientology, Hollywood, etc.
    Oh yeah, there is that kind of clean-cut toothy grin aspect to him that seems to grate on people sometimes.

But he is also a bit of a mover and shaker. He produces most of his movies and has a fair bit of clout in hollywood.

Jack Reacher got made because of him, and despite all the ridiculous hoo ha about the change in the character, it was a very solid, entertaining and well put together thriller with a bit of a whodunnit element to it.

A very good move that may never have got made and Turned put how it did were it not for Cruise involvement.

Sequel was crap though.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

I've not seen it yet, but had a friend talking about it on Facebook. The ID Channel had a similar multi-part program on Epstein too, which was interesting. When he first died I thought, okay, here come the conspiracy theories. However, after I saw it I thought maybe not. I think he was killed--there is just too many coincidences there. He was still filthy rich, and had he gone to trial I think they would have slapped his hand, given him a light sentence and nice jail accommodations. But dead men tell no tails, and he might have been blackmailing who knows who Prince Andrew? Trump?, so many others, etc. Better to nip that in the bud.

Jack Reacher had that one truly great fight scene. Of course they had to shoot it to make Cruise appear normal height but that's standard for most of his movies. He does grate on me but the last few Mission Impossible movies have been solid entertainment.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post

Watch all four episodes then get back to us.

I've not seen it yet, but had a friend talking about it on Facebook. The ID Channel had a similar multi-part program on Epstein too, which was interesting. When he first died I thought, okay, here come the conspiracy theories. However, after I saw it I thought maybe not. I think he was killed--there is just too many coincidences there. He was still filthy rich, and had he gone to trial I think they would have slapped his hand, given him a light sentence and nice jail accommodations. But dead men tell no tails, and he might have been blackmailing who knows who Prince Andrew? Trump?, so many others, etc. Better to nip that in the bud.
    The Netflix doc is much longer and more detailed than the ID series.

Epstein's lavish hedonistic lifestyle came to an end when he was arrested in New York.

There's no way a narcissistic sociopath like Epstein was going to stand trial and spend the rest of his life in jail.

He cheated everybody and killed himself.

Another thign about Tom Cruise, I imagine a lot of people didn't see this: there was some TV show that pranked him by putting a fake reporter with a booby trapped mic to a press junket or whatever you call it. The guy asked a question as Tom started to talk, the mic sprayed water at him, and he got really upset and called the pranker a jerk or something, and he said it in a tone of voice that suggested he wasn't kidding. So in addition to everything, from my point of view, the guy also has no sense of humor about himself.

Having said that, as I said, he's been in some movies I've liked.

But man you guys got a lot of nerve criticizing my tastes in movies when you're over here praising that Mission: Impossible drivel. For all of his talents as an actor, Tom Cruise is no Peter Graves. Or Martin Landau, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

But man you guys got a lot of nerve criticizing my tastes in movies when you're over here praising that Mission: Impossible drivel. For all of his talents as an actor, Tom Cruise is no Peter Graves. Or Martin Landau, for that matter.
    I haven't seen Mission Impossible so I have no opinion of it, but you have to understand how a large percentage of a group of film buffs might view the tastes of someone who knows every last detail of some mindless 80s comedy, but refuses to even watch Godfather II, one of the most praised films of all time (rightly so).

Everyone has their own tastes, of course, and that's fine. But it's a bit like if I joined a discussion with a group of wine enthusiasts and said I wouldn't even try a nice Châteauneuf-du-Pape, but hey, do you wanna hear all about the $7 box of table wine I drank from a pint glass last night? An exaggeration, perhaps, but you get my point hopefully. There should be no judgment on personal tastes, but it's only human nature to question or poke fun at them. I should know, I've been on the receiving end of it myself - I wore a denim jacket with the Nursery Cryme cover painted on it all throughout high school in the late 1980s.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***