Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Tucker & Dale Vs Evil?
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Tucker & Dale Vs Evil?
    Yup, there's a good 'un
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Does Tucker get killed?

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Just came back from the new horror film Barbarian.

Not bad at all, a little of this , a little of that , but creative and fun.
    We saw this yesterday. I liked it, especially the first 2/3írds of it, but thought the last 3rd got a bit ridiculous. I think a few changes to the tail end of the movie would have made it a much better film.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We saw this yesterday. I liked it, especially the first 2/3’rds of it, but thought the last 3rd got a bit ridiculous. I think a few changes to the tail end of the movie would have made it a much better film.
    Far from perfect, but fun in a 80s retro style.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Far from perfect, but fun in a 80s retro style.
    I thought they did depict parts of the city of Detroit quite well. There are areas of the city that are still no man's land exactly how it is depicted in the film. Only a few actual scenes in the film were shot in Detroit, but they captured it really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Tucker & Dale Vs Evil?
    Very cleverly done horror/comedy. One of my favorites of that type

The Hunt (not the Mads Mickelson The Hunt)

I thought this was a blast. Non-stop action, great pace, violent as hell and an incredibly likeable lead actress (Bridget Gilpin) There was a lot of controversy when it was released because of the politics involved, but it's satire you so easily outraged dingdongs! A group of people wake up in a field and find out they are being hunted...go! There isn't much in the character development dept., but If you want a simple, fun, thriller with dark humor and a great lead check this out.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Jed has neither confirmed nor denied that Tucker and Dale was the movie he had in mind...
    Yemen hardly ever exports cookies.

2 Netflix offerings,
    Moonfall. Caught this close to the start. Ultra silly. But watchable. I was thinking it real ripped off Roland Emmerich movies till the end credits came up , it was a Roland Emmerich movie. He ripped off his own stuff and the Matrix movies for this one. 10 out of 10 on the Silly Scale.
    Force Of Nature , a 2020 Mel Gibson action flick. Tidy , economical , alot of bang for the budget buck flick with Gibson , guns , a hurricane and a large hungry feline. Entertaining for what it is . Worth it if you crave bang bang.

American Made stars Tom Cruise about the Iran Contra/Reagan scandal and about Barry Seal, a pilot that got involved with all that. As I watched it I kept thinking that there was large parts of his story that weren't covered due to the running time of film that probably is better covered in a book somewhere, particularly how he first got involved with smuggling cocaine and the cartels. There are also parts of the story that seemed to me to be handled rather clunky. Though overall it's worth a watch. I'd probably give the story three & a half star.

Carter - Netflix original film. Korean w/ subtitles

You want action and violence? Then Carter is a must seer. The body count in this makes a John Wick movie seem tame. It's practically non stop. A lot of fun!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Carter - Netflix original film. Korean w/ subtitles

You want action and violence? Then Carter is a must seer. The body count in this makes a John Wick movie seem tame. It's practically non stop. A lot of fun!
    The phrase "Non-stop action" has always been a turn off for me. The last third of John Wick 3 was utterly ruined for me with the endless headsets and dragged out fight scenes. Films need to take time to develop story and characters, as well as having action scenes.

On Netflix , I Used To Be Famous. Watched because the trailer looked good. Plot concerns a former boy band guy on the skids as late 30s adult trying for a comeback. Normally not a plotline that would interest me but as I said , the trailer was intriguing . Not played for laughs , not weepy. Well cast and acted. No real recognizable faces. I like it.

Garden State--drama comedy, pretty good, a little quirky. I was in the mood.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Last Duel is a 2021 historical action drama film directed by Ridley Scott from a screenplay by Nicole Holofcener, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon, based on the 2004 book The Last Duel. King Charles VI declares that Knight Jean de Carrouges settle his dispute with his squire by challenging him to a duel. The ensuing trial by combat, a grueling duel to the death, places the fate of all three in God's hands. This movie was really well done, captivating.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

TCM actually ran A Christmas Story last night. I am not going to the attic and dig through that stuff yet.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    TCM actually ran A Christmas Story last night. I am not going to the attic and dig through that stuff yet.
    I'm still trying to figure out that bit of programming.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Last Duel is a 2021 historical action drama film directed by Ridley Scott from a screenplay by Nicole Holofcener, Ben Affleck, and Matt Damon, based on the 2004 book The Last Duel. King Charles VI declares that Knight Jean de Carrouges settle his dispute with his squire by challenging him to a duel. The ensuing trial by combat, a grueling duel to the death, places the fate of all three in God's hands. This movie was really well done, captivating.
    Saw it in the theater when it came out and also thought it was very well done.

The Sugarland Express. 1974.Spielbergs first proper feature, shot after Duel and before Jaws.

Watched this again last night.

Though its not exactly obscure and is available on blu ray and dvd, I don't think many people are aware of it. I have seen retrospectives of his career that barely mention it.

Based on a true story of a couple that break out of jail to get their child back, wh has been taken away from them. They kidnap a cop and drive across the state in a patrol car, with a huge entourage of cops behind them. They even become local celebrities.

At the time it was sold as a wacky car crash/chase comedy. It does have some good action scenes involving cars, but it also has an underlying tension because you know the outcome is not going to be a happy one.

And Goldie Hawn is superb as the neurotic mother, one of her best performances. Shout out to William Atherton as her partner, before he became know for those officious, annoying type roles (Diehard, Ghostbusters).

And it's a movie filled with great moments...an incredibly dangerous stunt involving newsmen on top of a moving TV van...a single shot sequence moving between 2 cars on the highway, done well before CGI...and a beautiful shot of two deputies driving side by side in their patrol cars, silhouetted against the setting sun. Photography was by Vilmos Zsigmond.

There are so many more great scenes, and it's a movie I highly recommend.

Again because the trailer was intriguing. Dog starring Channing Tatum. Afgan vet with PTSD unwillingly has temporary custody of a Ranger military dog. Again , the overall tone of the movie is serious , its not Tom Hanks or Jim Belushi cop character dealing and bonding with a dog partner bonding story . Its not weepy either. Both myself and the wife enjoyed this one. Satisfying adult story. No elves or guys wearing their underware outside their pants. Nothing blows up real good. Just an engaging story , Channing does well.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Again because the trailer was intriguing. Dog starring Channing Tatum. Afgan vet with PTSD unwillingly has temporary custody of a Ranger military dog. Again , the overall tone of the movie is serious , its not Tom Hanks or Jim Belushi cop character dealing and bonding with a dog partner bonding story . Its not weepy either. Both myself and the wife enjoyed this one. Satisfying adult story. No elves or guys wearing their underware outside their pants. Nothing blows up real good. Just an engaging story , Channing does well.
    This one has been on the list for a while. I assumed it was a comedy. I think I'm more intrigued hearing that it's more of a "light-hearted drama."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I, too, saw the trailer for Dog and watched the movie when it came out on DVD. Not your typical Disney-style animal movie. Good story and acting. Often, it is the kiss of death to co-star with a dog. But Channing and the other actors manage to make their characters shine through. And the dog is great with his "not having any of this" attitude. Presumably a lot harder to train for than being a friendly sidekick. Something adult, for a change. Wife and I both liked it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I just watched Rubber, about a homicidal car tire (yes, you read that right). Although the acting was appallingly bad, it was actually rather engaging and unique. I wouldn't call it comedy, but it was definitely a parody of horror films where you're not supposed to ask 'How can that happen?'... on the plus side, it had a pretty cool Carpenter-esque score, and one scene featured this guy wearing a Yes Union shirt:

cd4.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I just watched Rubber, about a homicidal car tire (yes, you read that right). Although the acting was appallingly bad, it was actually rather engaging and unique. I wouldn't call it comedy, but it was definitely a parody of horror films where you're not supposed to ask 'How can that happen?'... on the plus side, it had a pretty cool Carpenter-esque score, and one scene featured this guy wearing a Yes Union shirt:

cd4.jpg
    Thought this was fun. Now go watch Slaxx, about a possessed pair of jeans that kills staff at a clothing store (yes you read that right)
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Dark Tower. Loved it!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.