Page 301 of 397 FirstFirst ... 201251291297298299300301302303304305311351 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,525 of 9906

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    My first film experience was a Disney drive-in double-feature of Song of the South and Pinocchio.

I was 4 years old.
    I was three when I saw Pinocchio. And it was at the drive-in. Scared the shit out of me. I can still remember that it made me cry. I didn't understand why the kids turned into donkeys and I thought I was going to turn into one, too.

While I didn't understand it at the time, I realized when I saw it a few years ago (the first time since I was three) that it depicts children being sold into slavery. That movie is not for young children!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Saint Maud--Hulu is having a preview of Epix this weekend. I caught several films I'd been wanting to see. Saint Maud is about a young woman who recently found God, self-effacing young nurse Maud arrives at a plush home to care for Amanda, a hedonistic dancer left frail from a chronic illness. When a chance encounter with a former colleague throws up hints of a dark past, it becomes clear there is more to sweet Maud than meets the eye. I liked the slow, introspective burn of it. It's marked as horror but could just as easily just be dark drama. I liked the atmospheric dark quiver of it.

A Quiet Place: Part II--I thought it was just as good as the first one. Some questions still are answered like: who or what are the aliens, what do they want--just to kill off the human race? They don't seem to want us as food, so I dunno. The Abbott family are on the move in this one, plus with a new baby in tow.

Eye for an Eye 1996, Sally Fields and Ed Harris, play in this story about revenge, when their home is broken into and their daughter is killed and raped. Keifer Sutherland plays the villain, Robert Doob, yes, Doob. Pretty predictable thriller, but it's watchable.
    Last edited by hippypants; 07-17-2022 at 12:36 PM.

I watched Saint Maud a few weeks ago. Thought it was great.

I've had Saint Maud on my watch list for a while, now. I'll have to pull the trigger soon.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

[QUOTE=hippypants;1133614
    A Quiet Place: Part II--I thought it was just as good as the first one. Some questions still are answered like: who or what are the aliens, what do they want--just to kill off the human race? They don't seem to want us as food, so I dunno. The Abbott family are on the move in this one, plus with a new baby in tow.
    le.[/QUOTE]

I actually thought it was better than the first one. Saw it in a theater, so the quiet parts were very effective. It was obviously set up for another sequel.

"Eye for an Eye 1996, Sally Fields and Ed Harris, play in this story about revenge, when their home is broken into and their daughter is killed and raped. Keifer Sutherland plays the villain, Robert Doob, yes, Doob. Pretty predictable thriller, but it's watchable."

Thats pretty sick , killed her and then raped her? Definitly deserving of revenge.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    We watched Guillermo del Toro's Nightmare Alley with Bradly Cooper last night. I tried but fell asleep mid-way through. I can believe it because I love the director. Dark, drab, uninteresting characters. For me, it was a nightmare.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    We watched Guillermo del Toro's Nightmare Alley with Bradly Cooper last night. I tried but fell asleep mid-way through. I can believe it because I love the director. Dark, drab, uninteresting characters. For me, it was a nightmare.
    We bailed on this one as well. An utter disappointment.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't believe in the whole film being so bad or boring putting you to sleep thing.

You fall asleep because you are tired. Sometimes you may not even realise it, but your body does.

And if anyone disagrees there is a simple way to prove it...because we also fall asleep in movies we may be enjoying.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Saw The Black Phone yesterday. I absolutely loved this. Revolves around a serial killer, "The Grabber," who abducts middle school boys. At its heart, it is most definitely a ghost story. There is plenty of creepyness and I liked the way the story unfolded to ultimately serve the climax, which was the most satisfying I've seen since Let the Right One In. The protagonist's little sister is a major highlight here. Part coming of age in 70s suburbia (the sets were amazing), part ghost story, part crime drama...this checked off quite a few boxes for me. Highly recommended [coughcoughKLONKcoughcough]!

8.75 out of 10 rotary telephones.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    I don't believe in the whole film being so bad or boring putting you to sleep thing.

You fall asleep because you are tired. Sometimes you may not even realise it, but your body does.

And if anyone disagrees there is a simple way to prove it...because we also fall asleep in movies we may be enjoying.
    You keep making this claim even after I debunked it. Wait, let me rephrase that. Even after I proved you're wrong.

My question is why?

I very much respect your opinion. And not in the generic sense of respecting a person's right to an opinion. No, I respect your opinion. But, this is not a matter of opinion. This is a matter of scientific fact. As such, perhaps due to the fact that I took a shit ton of science courses in college, when I learn of a scientific fact that contradicts a belief I have, I adjust my thinking – and I expect everyone to.

In my original post (#4386), from two years ago, I provided the link to a study done by researchers. You know, experts with PhDs. I also provided links to articles summarizing the study. Here's a quote from one of them:

Science Daily – Sep 29, 2017

A new paper published in the journal Nature Communications finds that a part of the brain that is associated with motivation and pleasure -- the nucleus accumbens -- also can produce sleep. The new findings may explain why we have the tendency to fall asleep in the absence of motivating stimuli, i.e., when bored. (emphasis added)

For the purposes of this thread and to sum up as concisely as possible, boring movies can make a person fall asleep. It's a fact. Accept it.

Finally, to quote from a t-shirt my niece got me for my birthday, "science doesn't care what you believe."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I found the movie boring. I don't fall asleep on movies I enjoy.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Interesting. I really enjoyed the film when I saw it back when it came out in the theater, but I seem to be in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Saw The Black Phone yesterday. I absolutely loved this. Revolves around a serial killer, "The Grabber," who abducts middle school boys. At its heart, it is most definitely a ghost story. There is plenty of creepyness and I liked the way the story unfolded to ultimately serve the climax, which was the most satisfying I've seen since Let the Right One In. The protagonist's little sister is a major highlight here. Part coming of age in 70s suburbia (the sets were amazing), part ghost story, part crime drama...this checked off quite a few boxes for me. Highly recommended [coughcoughKLONKcoughcough]!

8.75 out of 10 rotary telephones.
    I liked it, but didn't love it. The child actors were amazing in the film, but I would probably only rate it a 6 or 7.

Candyman 2021--I wasn't a huge fan of the first installment, and that's about where I am with this one too. Saying the villain's name three times while looking into a mirror just sounds like a campfire tale, and not a very good one either. I felt a bit preached too with Hollywood's political correctness.

The Deep House--a couple of youtubers like exploring old abandoned structures, houses, etc. Mostly shot underwater, they are told of a house sunken in a lake in France. To me it felt like Blair Witch underwater. It went on and on for me. I'd pass on it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Saying the villain's name three times while looking into a mirror just sounds like a campfire tale, and not a very good one either.
    Oh, Beetlejuice!
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

"Say it once, say it twice, third time's the charm!"
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Everything Everywhere all of the Time is one of the best utterly batshit crazy movies I've ever seen.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Everything Everywhere all of the Time is one of the best utterly batshit crazy movies I've ever seen.
    Saw it in the theater and agree. I walked away not really able to decide how much I liked it or not, but yea, super crazy film. Never seen anything quite like it before.

I was lazing in front of the teevee on Saturday night when lo! Pluto commences its transmission of Apocalypse Now: Redux.

That's the long version with numerous scenes added back in, including the stop at the French rubber plantation, and a lot more of the Playmates.

AN is a truly dark, unsettling, if mesmerizing, work whose reputation is deserved. Incredible cinematography. The brooding electronic score by Francis' father Carmine, with percussionist Mickey Hart, deepens the ambience.

The legends surrounding the film's production are surreal, but we all know that. I'm sure Harvey Keitel would've killed it as Willard, but it's Martin Sheen's film.

Duvall is stellar. Scott Glenn doesn't need to say anything to look threatening.

Also, Capt. Willard vs. Col. Kurtz = Conan vs. Thulsa Doom. John Milius wrote the screenplays for both films (well, Milius rewrote Oliver Stone's script, and I'm sure the ending is Milius').

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You keep making this claim even after I debunked it. Wait, let me rephrase that. Even after I proved you're wrong.

My question is why?

I very much respect your opinion. And not in the generic sense of respecting a person's right to an opinion. No, I respect your opinion. But, this is not a matter of opinion. This is a matter of scientific fact. As such, perhaps due to the fact that I took a shit ton of science courses in college, when I learn of a scientific fact that contradicts a belief I have, I adjust my thinking – and I expect everyone to.

In my original post (#4386), from two years ago, I provided the link to a study done by researchers. You know, experts with PhDs. I also provided links to articles summarizing the study. Here's a quote from one of them:

Science Daily – Sep 29, 2017

A new paper published in the journal Nature Communications finds that a part of the brain that is associated with motivation and pleasure -- the nucleus accumbens -- also can produce sleep. The new findings may explain why we have the tendency to fall asleep in the absence of motivating stimuli, i.e., when bored. (emphasis added)

For the purposes of this thread and to sum up as concisely as possible, boring movies can make a person fall asleep. It's a fact. Accept it.

Finally, to quote from a t-shirt my niece got me for my birthday, "science doesn't care what you believe."
    Ah, you're going with the 'someone wrote a paper' defence.

I will counter that with 'people sayin' shit don't mean shit'.

Your move...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/20/m...ri-heat-2.html

Very cool article on Michael Mann and his movies in todays NYT.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Ah, you're going with the 'someone wrote a paper' defence.

I will counter that with 'people sayin' shit don't mean shit'.
    Denial of science.

Your move...
    Don't surround yourself with yourself. Move on back two squares.

My unscientific 2 cents. While I'm capable of dozing off while watching a good movie ,I'm much more likley to fall asleep if a movie doesn't hold my interest. Without mental engagement , and having to stay present , I will fall asleep to escape drek. This applies to most superhero movies. And golf on TV. And Adam Sandler. And reality shows. Anything hillbilly. My wife telling a story. Traffic while driving. Police interogations.

^ That's quite a talent you have there, sir!