Page 21 of 394 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    48 hours ; Murphy tells David Patrick ," I bet that really hurt Luther" , right after he opens a car door into him. For whatever reason that's the scene in 48 Hours most memorable to me. Patrick also was a baddie in a Swatzaneger film , was he ever a good guy?
    According to Wikipedia, he was in Malcolm X. Unless he was playing a white supremacist, I imagine his role in that film would not necessarily be considered a "bad guy".

But I suspect David Patrick Kelly sealed his fate as a "heavy" with The Warriors, which was his first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That was kind of a lame movie. Bad knock off of Fantastic Voyage, played for laughs, and starring Martin Short, who I generally don't like.

SO you guys name a lot of movies that Quaid were in, in terms of film making, yeah, I suppose The Right Stuff or something like that would have to be a 'good movie" but in terms of entertainment, or any of them really better than Dreamscape or Jaws 3?!
    You're kidding right? You are comparing The Right Stuff, a true historical biography of the American Mercury program and the original astronauts, to stuff like Dreamscape or Jaws 3 (which I never even bothered seeing)?

"The Right Stuff received widespread critical acclaim and eight Oscar nominations at the 56th Academy Awards, four of which it won. In 2013 the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Why can't a great movie, or one that is a historical story and not fantasy, be entertaining? Give me The Right Stuff any day of the week.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-05-2018 at 08:25 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quaid was quite good in The Rookie
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Watching The Princess Bride with my kids, who have never seen it. So many great lines.
    Showed this and The Big Lebowski to some younger friends a few days ago. I don't think they really got either one. I'm giggling my ass off and they exhibited almost no emotion during either one.

Oh well, I tried.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Showed this and The Big Lebowski to some younger friends a few days ago. I don't think they really got either one. I'm giggling my ass off and they exhibited almost no emotion during either one.

Oh well, I tried.
    The Big Lebowski is another one I've never seen. I think I started watching it, late one night, and fell asleep. That's the bowling movie isn't it, the one where Jeff Bridges head gets shoved in a toilet? I need to see more Coen Bros. pictures in general. I loved both Raising Arizona and Fargo. But I don't think I've seen anything else they've done.

Jeff Bridges has been in some good movies over the year, like Tron and Starman. I also kinda like Heaven's Gate, the infamous movie that was so much of a bomb that it caused United Artists to collapse and destroyed the career of it's director, Michael Cimino.

Course, there was also King Kong, but maybe the less said about that, the better. Needless to say, I'm a supporter of the original (and the Jimmy Castor Bunch song).

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    The Big Lebowski and The Princess Bride are two of the most quotable movies I can think of.

If you are looking for more Coen Bros., I would suggest Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, and O Brother Where Art Thou. All of which are fine films. Miler's Crossing is a superlative mob film. Barton Fink is surreal, creepy, but at its heart a send up of Golden Age Hollywood. O Brother Where Art Thou is an Americana revision of Homer's Odyssey.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Jeff Bridges has been in a slew of good to great movies, and certainly ones more substantial, imo, than Starman or Tron, including:

Last Picture Show
    Against all Odds (not great, but made him a huge star)
    The Fisher King
    The Vanishing (very underrated flick)
    Arlington Road
    K-Pax
    and his hilarious role as The Dude in Lebowski of course

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    The Big Lebowski and The Princess Bride are two of the most quotable movies I can think of.

If you are looking for more Coen Bros., I would suggest Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, and O Brother Where Art Thou. All of which are fine films. Miler's Crossing is a superlative mob film. Barton Fink is surreal, creepy, but at its heart a send up of Golden Age Hollywood. O Brother Where Art Thou is an Americana revision of Homer's Odyssey.
    And I would throw in Blood Simple, No Country For Old Men.

I watched a movie today released in 2009 that even though I thought was mediocre at best (despite Harrison Ford, Ray Liotta & Ashley Judd) still had me on the edge of my seat for a very different reason.

Crossing Over is one of those 6 stories at once that become intertwined films that never really work (with the arguable exception of Crash). It's also so eerily prescient that I couldn't stop shaking my head at just how right they got 2018 in 2009. It's all about immigration, ICE and family separation, with Hispanics, Asians and Middle Easterners all represented.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    And the absurdity of it all, which is a major part of Python humor.
    Yeah, I do get that but he had such a amazingly over the top performance, also absurdity, and he was the one who rewrote the skit to make it work as it didn't when it was originally read over the table.

I may be the outlier here on this hill but I'll die on it if I have to. It's only wafer thin.

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Jeff Bridges has been in a slew of good to great movies, and certainly ones more substantial, imo, than Starman or Tron, including:

one of those 6 stories at once that become intertwined films that never really work
    I think Go and Staten Island fall into that category, and I thought they were both pretty good.

I think you're thinking of Breaking Away, which is a very good flick.
    I think you're right. Now I have to look up American Flyer.

Oddball thought.

Can anyone tell me, without googling, what the first two stories in Trilogy of Terror are about? Everyone knows and remembers the third but no one seems to remember the other two.

Oh well, I tried.
    The Princess Bride is an absolute classic, and reveals what it is very early-on, IMO. I never really got the hype about The Big Lebowski. I don't dislike it or anything, but don't really understand how it became such a cult classic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^ Iirc, one was about a witch whose child was killed and exacts revenge, and the other about a mysterious natural pit in Arkansas (?) that had smoke coming out, and a failed attempt to get to the bottom of it, literally and figuratively.

How old were they, 6 or 7?
    Between 16 and 25. How can you not laugh when he gets nailed in the forehead with a coffee cup? Or so many other moments in there. I guess you can chalk it up to many things but I love Monty Python and many people old and young don't get it. I'll probably get flamed for this but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the supposed humor in anything Seth McFarland has done.

It happens.

Anyway, @GuitarGeek, have a couple of white russians and check out the flick as I do think, as most here would also say, you would dig it.

Last thought. Burn After Reading is a highly underrated Coen flick IMO. McDormand and Pitt are ridiculous and J.K. Simmons made me laugh as hard as I ever have in recent memory.

Count me as someone who simply does not get The Big Lebowski. Ten minutes of plot squeezed into a two hour movie. And a whole bunch of lazy slackers who don't do a fucking thing. That was two hours of my life I want back.

I am a big fan of the Coens -- Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, No Country..., Fargo, -- but Lebowski? Utter crap.

Dennis Quaid: Frequency, excellent movie; Vantage Point, great; Far from Heaven, another good one; Smart People, this one is obscure. He plays a curmudgeon college professor. Mixed reviews on Rotten Tomatoes but I loved it. Thomas Haden Church plays his low-life brother who has some hilarious lines.

The first time I saw The Big Lebowski I wasn't thrilled. Saw it again a few years later and I got the slacker vibe, the ying/yang of The Dude vs Walter. Saw Fargo a few days ago and it's still astounding. Raising Arizona and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou are movies that me and my wife have watched at least fifty times, probably more. The first time I saw Fargo was the weekend it was released in the Uptown Theater in Minneapolis. Essentially, this is the heart of Coen audience. The roars of laughter at the better gags was overwhelming. And wow, Frances just nailed that part. She gets that cheery "yah, sure, you betcha" exterior in motion and the people facing her are unaware of the razor sharp mind underneath.

I have only seen No Country for Old Men once. An incredible piece of work but not one that is a comfort meal like Arizona or Oh Brother. I remember that when we saw No Country the entire audience left the theater in silence. I think a lot of people didn't get it and the rest were just stunned.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Last Picture Show
    The Fisher King
    Arlington Road
    K-Pax
    Really?

You left out TRON?

(ducking and covering...)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'll probably get flamed for this but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the supposed humor in anything Seth McFarland has done.
    The only thing I'm familiar with is Family Guy, and I stopped watching that years ago. The thing that drove me crazy was, at times the show would be incredibly witty and hilarious, but then within seconds, it would drop into that sort of sophomoric humor I don't like. And then there were times when they'd do stuff where it seemed like they couldn't even think of anything sophomoric to do.

I remember, in one episode, there was a thing where Peter falls and skins his knee or something, followed a full minute of him sitting there hissing. And then they repeat at least once more in the episode. Yeah, I know, that's what you do when you skin your knee or whatever, but that doesn't explaining wasting air time (and my time, for that matter), because you could think of two minutes of story or dialog or whatever to bring your lame sitcom up to the required broadcast length.

There was one episode where Brian had to go to the vet because he had eaten a used diaper, which he mistook for "Indian food". In another one, Peter finds out he's actually mentally handicapped, so he just starts doing stupid stuff, because he can "get away with it" by saying "Can't help it, I'm mentally challenged" or whatever. At one point, he walks into a ladies room, and shoves open all the stalls. WTF?! And don't even get me started on Quagmire.

On the other hand, there was one episode where someone makes a wisecrack about...I think it was Alyssa Milano, and they immediately cut to her, live action, watching the show, and yelling for her lawyer, who's sitting behind a desk, saying "Yeah, yeah, I'm suing! I'm suing!". I thought that was funny.

Another funny one was when Peter remembers the short lived job he had at "The Electric Company", which turns out to 70's PBS kids show , and Peter can't keep up with the pace of the segment he's supposed to be involved in.

I also liked the bit where, after the show had been cancelled, then it's popularity in reruns on Cartoon Network "forced" it's return to broadcast TV, Peter names the long list of shows that the Fox Network had cancelled in the interim.

But the willingness to pander to the Beavis & Buttheads of the world got to be too much for me. I don't have that kind of sense of humor. I also don't like most of Frank Zappa's lyrics, for the same reason. Don't like Illegal Alien either.

Last thought. Burn After Reading is a highly underrated Coen flick IMO. McDormand and Pitt are ridiculous and J.K. Simmons made me laugh as hard as I ever have in recent memory.
    Didn't realize that was a Coen Bros. picture, but yeah, I did see that one (albeit in what somewhat edited form on the Fox Movie Channel, I don't know how much was cut, though, beyond all the swear words being nixed). Don't remember much about it, apart from the general point of it being about spies, stupid gym employees trying to blackmail said spies, etc. But I remember it being funny.

Last Picture Show
    The Fisher King
    Arlington Road
    K-Pax
    Also True Grit, Crazy Heart, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, the list of quality movies he's been a part of goes on and on.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    It is interesting what a dividing line Lebowski is.

"The Dude just wants his rug back," still makes me smile when I think of it.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Count me as someone who simply does not get The Big Lebowski. Ten minutes of plot squeezed into a two hour movie. And a whole bunch of lazy slackers who don't do a fucking thing. That was two hours of my life I want back.

I am a big fan of the Coens -- Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Barton Fink, No Country..., Fargo, -- but Lebowski? Utter crap.
    Lmfao. Malibu Police Chief, is that you?

"Mr. Treehorn draws a lot of water in this town, You don't draw shit Lebowski. Now we got a nice quiet little beach community here, and I aim to keep it nice and quiet. So let me make something plain. I don't like you sucking around bothering our citizens, Lebowski. I don't like your jerk-off name, I don't like your jerk-off face, I don't like your jerk-off behavior, and I don't like you, jerk-off. Do I make myself clear? STAY OUT OF MALIBU, DEADBEAT! Keep your ugly fucking goldbricking ass out of my beach community!!!"
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-06-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    It is interesting what a dividing line Lebowski is.

"The Dude just wants his rug back," still makes me smile when I think of it.
    It really tied the room together.

There are so many things to laugh at I can't even fathom people who don't think it's funny. The black cab driver who insists on playing The Eagles in his cab (who the Dude hates). The flamboyant purple dressed The Jesus who licks the bowling ball before he throws. The funeral home guy trying to explain they have to buy "our most modest receptacle" to put the ashes in. The Nihilists ordering pancakes and pigs in a blanket in thick German accents. Bunny telling the Dude that she'll bl%* him for $1000 but Lebowski's assistant Brandt (Seymour Hoffman) has to pay $100 to watch. And the proper, formal and stiff way that Brandt carries out his duties for the Big L is completely hilarious. The private detective following the Dude around searching for Bunny, who shows a picture of the Knutsen Family Farm in Morehead, Minn, which is a desolate treeless completely flat winter landscape, and he says "the parents thought this photo would make her homesick" (if you grew up in the Upper Midwest, you immediately laugh at that). Walter struggling to pin down little Larry on his homework, after yelling out admiration to the creator of the TV series Branded who's in an Iron Lung.....it goes on and on.

The key to Lebowski is not trying to decipher a rational plot as much as just enjoying how the Coens are just telling a wacky bizarre off center story w crazy interesting characters. If you demand logic and rational linear filmmaking, the Coens will frustrate you.
    But I get that humor is very personal. I love Python, Albert Brooks, early Woody Allen, and a lot of dark humor type flicks. I'm a big David Lynch and Kubrick fan. I think Dr. Strangelove is still the funniest movie ever made.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 08-06-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Really?

You left out TRON?

(ducking and covering...)
    I didn't leave out Tron, I specifically mentioned it in contrast to my list of Bridges pics which were more substantial, imo. I mean I suppose Tron was a cool idea at the time, but it's basically an old video game, and it certainly looks dated now.