Page 188 of 397 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238288 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing in Jaws that I remember, from when I saw it on TV the first time, was the scene where the dead fisherman's head pops through the whole in the boat, while Richard Dreyfus was examining it. I remember that gave me a "shock" as it were.
    I very specifically remember almost jumping out of my seat at that scene in the theater the first time I saw it too. Scared the shit out of me.

GG, I agree that it worked better not showing the shark, even if it was tech difficulties that forced that to happen. I just had to totally disagree with the radio guys, the movie still holds up and that's not from memories as I just watched it a few months ago.

Why did Shaw hate Dreyfuss so much in real life? I never did figure that one out.

As far as the music goes, there's a doc about that and it shows the movie without the music, not just the duh duh theme, and the music really does move the movie along.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    GG, I agree that it worked better not showing the shark, even if it was tech difficulties that forced that to happen. I just had to totally disagree with the radio guys, the movie still holds up and that's not from memories as I just watched it a few months ago.

Why did Shaw hate Dreyfuss so much in real life? I never did figure that one out.

As far as the music goes, there's a doc about that and it shows the movie without the music, not just the duh duh theme, and the music really does move the movie along.

There have been many theories about why, and I guess like most such stories we will probably never know the real truth. One theory goes that Shaw saw Dreyfuss as a young upstart, inexperienced and weak. And he just decided to bully him.

But the most likely theory is that it was simply Shaw method acting. And it worked for their on screen relationship.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

But the most likely theory is that it was simply Shaw method acting. And it worked for their on screen relationship.
    That's correct.

Also, Shaw was boozing throughout most of the shoot and loved to rib the young candy assed Dreyfuss

There's a ton of off screen stories in the Jaws blu ray that came out a few years ago, a must own for Jaws fanatics.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Rambo Last Blood

Caught this on Prime last night. Rambo takes on human trafficking in this one. In Mexico (gets ass beat), and at home. (gets revenge)
    Much more entertaining than I expected.

The Wildling

On Netflix. Anna is a young girl whose daddy keeps her locked inside away from the outdoors and other people. As a teenager, she finally
    gets out of the cabin and runs off, where she is taken in by sympathetic Sheriff Liv Tyler. Soon after, changes begin to occur to Anna which
    explain why daddy was so vigilant about keeping her inside. Entertaining horror movie. Recommended.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

The Wildling

On Netflix. Anna is a young girl whose daddy keeps her locked inside away from the outdoors and other people. As a teenager, she finally
    gets out of the cabin and runs off, where she is taken in by sympathetic Sheriff Liv Tyler. Soon after, changes begin to occur to Anna which
    explain why daddy was so vigilant about keeping her inside.
    Puberty?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Puberty?

I see Brian Dennehy has passed away. He was a good actor, he thrived in roles where he played intimidating characters due to his linebacker build and deep voice. R.I.P.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Dennehy was hilarious as Finch's dad in the sitcom Just Shoot Me. Helluva actor on both screen and stage (he won two Tony awards).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Brian was excellent in First Blood. RIP
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Brian was excellent in First Blood. RIP
    Agree. There was a scene when he first picks up Rambo and Rambo asks why are you picking on me? And Dennehy cocks his head back in a quick reaction and opens his mouth a little, in a perfect mimic of a small town sheriff who keeps a tight lid on the town and is thinking "Who the hell is this punk to question ME?"

With the exception of the cars, that is one movie that has held up well. At least to me.

EDIT: What a humble guy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," he said. "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Man, that really says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    EDIT: What a humble guy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," he said. "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Man, that really says it all.
    Wow, that is a really great quote.

I always liked him. Sad news to hear he's gone.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Damn, that is a really good quote
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

A friend gave me (temporarily) a box of DVDs. About 10 or 12 movies. Nothing really interests me in this box of movies but friendo recommended I at least watch a couple of 'em.

Cinderella Liberty (1973)

Good film. Anything with James Caan is good. Great actor.

Mr. Holland's Opus

Great film. Inspiring, emotional, powerful film. Highly recommended for music fans. Richard Dreyfuss is great.
    E-A-T

Five Easy Pieces--If it comes on TV, I gotta watch.

1917--it was a better movie to me than Parasite, great cinematography too.

Knives Out--nice whodunit, and although I sort of figured it out before the climax, it's still a recommendation.

Safe--Julianne Moore plays a wealthy housewife that either physically gets sick over environmental causes or it's psychosomatic. Either way it's a big crisis in her life and her family life. Indie film, but I really got into it.

Age of Ultron--eh, couldn't really get into it. I generally have to be in the mood, but for whatever reason didn't work too well for me.

X-Men: Apocalypse--I liked this one though, go figure.

The Iceman--I generally don't care for mob films, no less ones about killers, but Michael Shannon is a good actor and it's a pretty well done film about slimeball trash.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Five Easy Pieces--If it comes on TV, I gotta watch.
    I think I saw that one something like 10 years ago, couldn't have been much longer ago than that, because I remember thinking the character of Partita was basically a female version of Glenn Gould, e.g. humming while playing the piano (to the point the recording engineer has to ask her to stop), and I got the impression she was particularly attached to the piano she was playing (Gould was known for humming to performances and recording and he had one particular Steinway that he preferred to record with, which came from the concert hall at Eaton's in Toronto).

-
    it was a better movie to me than Parasite, great cinematography too.
    Ya know, every time I see you guys mentioned Parasite, I have to remind myself you're not talking about the early 80's horror flick.

Safe--Julianne Moore plays a wealthy housewife that either physically gets sick over environmental causes or it's psychosomatic. Either way it's a big crisis in her life and her family life. Indie film, but I really got into it.
    Hey, I remember when that movie came out, there was a lot of talk about it, I gather a lot of the critics and such thought it was shit hot. I don't remember if it played here or not (there's really only two places an art film like that would have played here, back in the 90's...hell, even now there's only three), but I've always been curiosu to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Five Easy Pieces--

The Iceman--I generally don't care for mob films, no less ones about killers, but Michael Shannon is a good actor and it's a pretty well done film about slimeball trash.
    I have been curious about this one. I read the book a while ago, and yea the guy was a complete slimeball, although authorities seem to believe that he was making at least some of it up and exaggerating some of the things that are documented. I figured Shannon would probably do a great job with it though, so maybe I will check it out.

I stumbled across a 2018 restoration of the classic "King Of Hearts" today on Kanopy. I had been completely unaware that it had been restored in 4K so I was curious. The quality is remarkable. This is in my top 5 pictures of all time and this new version was such a joy to watch.

Judge - Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duval

Really good movie. I get it, as I'm going through it although it's cancer in the movie and not dementia. Small to none difference.

Metallica references - AFJA era, the best they ever did even if that album sounds like shit. Hell's yeah, baby!

It works for me big time. Damn, at that time Metallica were the shit. Nowadays, I couldn't care less what they do. Go figure that.

Still, a good movie and worth the time.

I See You

Caught this thriller on Prime last night. Detective is on a case of several missing boys. Not having any luck, but the evidence is pointing
    to a similar crime that was solved 10 years previous. As his home life starts to unwind, family secrets are revealed. Helen Hunt stars as
    the wife of the detective. I haven't seen her in years. She was so hot in Twister. Now, she looks like she has had some very bad plastic surgery.
    Her face seems overstretched, but still has wrinkles. Looks very unnatural! Anyway, it is a pretty good thriller worth seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I See You

Caught this thriller on Prime last night. Detective is on a case of several missing boys. Not having any luck, but the evidence is pointing
    to a similar crime that was solved 10 years previous. As his home life starts to unwind, family secrets are revealed. Helen Hunt stars as
    the wife of the detective. I haven't seen her in years. She was so hot in Twister. Now, she looks like she has had some very bad plastic surgery.
    Her face seems overstretched, but still has wrinkles. Looks very unnatural! Anyway, it is a pretty good thriller worth seeing.
    I liked that also, and yes HH looks really weird!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I guess 35 years is probably too long to wait to see some movies. Finally saw The Goonies and it's pretty lame. I did recognize my old boom box in the opening credits and that was about the only highlight.

I probably would have enjoyed this more BITD. I'm too old and jaded for that kind of movie to work for me today.

Moving on to Last Action Hero. I remember liking this even though most everyone else didn't. See if I still do.

Last Action Hero, meh. Doesn't hold up. Some of the jokes still work though. Arnold washing the tar off him and a couple others but still meh.

The Express - Damn, he fucking died at 23. So sad. No wonder I never heard of him as he never played pro ball. I know squat about college football, for the most part. Good move by the Browns to retire his jersey number.

McFarland, USA - Costner does really good at sports movies and if I hear someone say anything bad about For Love Of The Game I'll kick you in the ding ding. Besides his sports movies and Dances With Wolves has Costner done any other good/great flicks?

Drawing a blank and I really don't care to look it up, the convo might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Besides his sports movies and Dances With Wolves has Costner done any other good/great flicks?

Drawing a blank and I really don't care to look it up, the convo might be interesting.
    Well The Untouchables certainly springs to mind. Silverado was a good one too, great cast. He's been in other good films, not necessarily as the star though. I never saw stuff like The Bodyguard or Waterworld so I can't speak for those. I suppose some people will say JFK, but I'm not the biggest Oliver Stone fan so that one never resonated with me the way it did with the public at large.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Costner did Open Range with Robert Duvall, an exceptional western. It's a slow burner for the first couple hours but the final showdown is epic.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart