Page 223 of 394 FirstFirst ... 123173213219220221222223224225226227233273323 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,575 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Last night we watched The Dig, a lovely little film about the 1939 excavation in Suffolk, England that revealed a buried viking ship and a ton of Anglo-Saxon artifacts from around the 6th century. It's a low-key character drama above all else, beautifully shot and acted, and with a fine score. Ticks all the boxes, and as a bonus I got to stare at Lily James who I am so in love with that I see a restraining order in my future.

I love films like this. They are essentially the opposite of what passes for entertainment for most people nowadays, but I'm glad they have enough of an audience that they still get made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Miyagi - Fascinating documentary about Noriyuki 'Pat' Morita. Probably best known as Mr Miyagi in the Karate Kid movies, but his life story is utterly fascinating. From his early childhood illness, time spent in the Japanese camps after Pearl Harbour, his early days as a stand-up comedian, alcohol addiction and his unhappiness at being stereotyped early in his career. Highly recommended.
    Adding both of these to the Watchlist. They look pretty good, and will be a nice divergence from the typical stuff that I watch.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw Irresistable a while back. I agree with your assessment. An enjoyable film that might open some eyes but won't likely win any awards.

Last night we watched Tenet. Pretty good time travel film that left me scratching my head a time or three. I have yet to watch the second disc of special features. But I love mindfuck time travel stories, and Tenet is one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    The Dig is a Netflix original, so not on Prime. I agree with Progatron. It was a fine movie.
    Loved it.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Reacquainting myself with some of the "bad" movies that I've watched over the years, via Youtube. Ninja In The Claws Of The CIA was one I got hip to via the appearance of it's trailer on a bootleg VHS or DVD (I forget which now) that I got something like 15 years ago. This is one of those movies where you're not sure if it's meant to be tongue in cheek or if that just sort of happened by accident. Gotta love those low budget martial arts pictures.

Nothing beats A Fistful of Yen
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Kung Fu Hustle

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    Nothing beats A Fistful of Yen

You know, in all seriousness, for what it was, I thought it was really good.

Back in the early '90s, I was seeing this chick who I spent a lot of time with playing darts in a local pub. Occasionally, she'd have a bad throw and I'd say to her in a Chinese accent, "what was that? This isn't a chawade. We need total concentwation."
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Then there's, um, Cheerleader Ninjas, a classic exploitation film (not to be confused with the far superior Ninja Cheerleaders, featuring George Takei).
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I remember when I was 10 years old that my friend's birthday party was to view Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon. It was the most exiting and action packed movie I had seen at this time. I loved it! I'm not sure how it holds up now.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I remember when I was 10 years old that my friend's birthday party was to view Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon. It was the most exiting and action packed movie I had seen at this time. I loved it! I'm not sure how it holds up now.
    IMO, it's still awesome!

But no Wire Fu, of course. I like Wire Fu,, don't get me wrong.......

If it has Bruce Lee, it has to be pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If it has Bruce Lee, it has to be pretty great.
    You'vew obviously never seen Game Of Death.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    But no Wire Fu, of course. I like Wire Fu,, don't get me wrong.......
    The only time I didn't mind "wire fu" was in Kill Bill, Vol 1.

Honestly, tho, I don't know how it ever got started and I refuse to watch anything with it.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was very good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was very good.
    agreed--gold standard for Wire Fu, IMO

I had to look "wire fu" up on Wikipedia, as I've never heard that expression. Yeah, I'm not sure I'd be into that, though I guess it would depend on what else is there. I think they did some of the kind of stuff on Super Sentai.

^ Didn't know it either, but it was the thing that turned me off to Crouching Tiger when it came out. (And I didn't watch it.)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Didn't know it either, but it was the thing that turned me off to Crouching Tiger when it came out. (And I didn't watch it.)
    I haven't seen too many newer martial arts pictures. The stuff I'm interested in the old school, 70's era, Hong Kong made movies. There's just a different sensibility in those old movies than the more recent stuff. Newer stuff always seems to feel more like American action pictures, like they're shooting for a broader international appeal, whereas I want to see more stuff like Ninja In The Claws Of The CIA, or Iron Dragon Strikes Back

The Magnificent Seven (2016). I finally got around to seeing this yesterday. It was on the History channel. At 2:13:00 long, History managed to stretch it out to 3. With still over an hour left, I went and borrowed it from the library. I'd like to rant about this but I'll spare you all.

I vaguely recall that when this was first released one or two people in this thread thought it was only okay. I liked it better than the original, which I was never really all that fond of to begin with. Sure, the '16 version let a couple of anachronisms slip, but I found it so much more enjoyable. Everyone was really good in it, too, but Vincent D'Onofrio really stood out, as did Chris Pratt, who's always really likeable in everything he's in.

--------------------

I also borrowed the Bourne trilogy, which I haven't seen in quite a while. So far, I've watched the first two. It's kind of odd watching them back to back. The second one has a more interesting script but the first is better simply because Doug Liman keeps the quick cuts and shaky camera to an almost tolerable level whereas Paul Greengrass doesn't know what the fuck he's doing. Even in the more low key scenes his edits are too quick. And he still uses a handheld camera. In fact, there's one shot during the final chase scene where the shot was, I don't know, 12 frames? That's half a second. In addition, the camera is panning really quickly during the shot so you couldn't actually see what was going on. Overall, his directing & editing style detracts from the movie.
    Last edited by Hal...; 02-22-2021 at 09:07 AM.

Pretty good doc on 70s, 80s films.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Caught Monster Hunter a couple of days ago. Good fun popcorn flick! Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Caught Monster Hunter a couple of days ago. Good fun popcorn flick! Thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Did it satisfy our shared itch for giant things killing and breaking stuff?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    It sure did!!!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    It sure did!!!
    awesome...goin on the (really, really, really long) list!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

What we have watched recently:

Westworld Season 3 - At the end of season 2 I thought that would be it. They seemed to be winding it down. But here we have another whole season, and it's pretty good. They have gone far beyond the original 1973 Westworld movie story. Some might say they have lost the thread. But fans of futuristic sci-fi drama will find much to their liking. I suspect they are planning a season 4. It may already be on cable tv. I wouldn't know. The road goes on forever and the robots never end.

The War With Grandpa - a tolerable family comedy. Better than I expected, but short of a masterpiece.

Underwater - a sci-fi thriller about a manned deep sea drilling rig that fails, leaving survivors to walk across the 6 mile-deep sea floor to another rig for hope of rescue. Of course, here be monsters. Decent story and intensity, but a lot of disbelief-suspension required.

Bug - a recent purchase of a 2006 William Friedkin movie I don't think I saw before. Two people descend into madness (contagious, it is) in what may have been the beginnings of Qanon. Movie made from a play takes place in a motel room. I liked it.