Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    In The Tall Grass

Netflix adaptation of the Stephen King/Joe Hill novella. I haven't read the book, so I can't compare it. Weird and creepy enough. Probably would
    rate this in the middle of films based on King novels. Worth a view.
    Watched it last night and found it pretty satisfying! Not very scary, but definitely weird and creepy. I loved all the visuals of the grass especially from above
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Meatball Machine--is another one of those crazy Asian horror films like Tokyo Gore Police, Machine Girl that accentuates gore and crazy. I don't think anything in the story was particularly new, but cobbled together from various other SF, horror, and comic book stories. It was about some parasites that infest a human host and turns them into crazed machine-like monsters that kill each other. The winner gets to eat the loser, and the process begins all over again to find a new host. Most of it seemed to be done with practical effects too, however, it's definitely a b-film. I guess I was in the mood for something this crazy. Fun though. I found it on (Roku) Tubi TV.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Anyone go to Joker this weekend?
    I am curious about it too. The critics seem to be really split on this one. They either seem to think it is great or horrible.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am curious about it too. The critics seem to be really split on this one. They either seem to think it is great or horrible.
    Isn't that meant to be the reaction?
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Word of mouth from people who have seen it here in UK is very positive. Critics over here generally like it, with a few obviously having their own agenda.

For some reason some people are trying to pin it for excessive violence, but that's not the feedback the public are giving.

I am booked to see it on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Isn't that meant to be the reaction?
    You are probably right, although having not seen the film it is hard to comment. It just seems like this one has split the critics more than normal from reviews I have read. It seems to be either lauded or panned, but not much in the middle.

It just seems like this one has split the critics more than normal from reviews I have read. It seems to be either lauded or panned, but not much in the middle.
    Perhaps more significantly, the panners don't talk about the movie as a movie (when they do they generally admit, for example, that Phoenix's performance is awesome); they talk about it being socially and politically dangerous: the equivalent of Frederic Wertham telling parents in the '50s that comics caused juvenile delinquency and bringing about the Comics Code that stifled an art form for two or three decades. (Add comments about Hayes Office as appropriate.)
    Last edited by Sturgeon's Lawyer; 1 Week Ago at 10:47 AM.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Watched it last night and found it pretty satisfying! Not very scary, but definitely weird and creepy. I loved all the visuals of the grass especially from above

A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Just took myself out to see "Ad Astra." OMG what a disaster.

Apparently... Brad Pitt's salary soaked up so much of the budget that they couldn't afford a script writer. Couldn't afford a continuity person. And DEFINITELY couldn't afford a science advisor.

Whereas "Gravity" had some really believable deep space scenes.... And "The Martian" was meticulously researched so everything they did was scientifically possible... For "Ad Astra" none of this was true.
    The good things:
    • The scenes on the surface of the moon looked really good and believable
    • The scenes on the surface of Mars looked pretty good; the terrain was believable but there was some kind of atmospheric red haze which does not exist
    • The lunar and Martian rover vehicles looked and moved really good
    • The scenes of weightlessness inside the spacecraft were some of the best I've ever seen, rivaling real footage from the ISS
    • The liftoff of a rocket from the far side of the moon looked enough different from an Earth launch to be believable

The bad things:
    Good lord, where to begin? This list is very incomplete. In rough order of egregiousness:
    1. Explosions on the moon's surface made noise
    2. Matt Damon, wait Brad Pitt was able to fly everything (even to Neptune!) and arm a nuclear bomb, all without any training
    3. Brad's fellow astronauts were Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland. I believe they may be a little past their expiration date as astronauts
    4. Brad probably is too
    5. Brad goes to Neptune and returns with a 2-day beard growth
    6. When going to Neptune, the spacecraft is shown going past Saturn and Jupiter first. Apparently all the planets are in a row
    7. When Brad goes from the Earth to the moon, the craft is aimed straight for the moon. Apparently it no longer orbits and the writer's never heard of rotational assist
    8. Brad lands on Mars, and at the craft orbiting Neptune, and back on Earth, all by dead reckoning
    9. Nobody poops or eats in space
    10. Killer monkeys. 'Nuff said!
    11. Terrorists on the moon. Funded by...
    12. Brad returns to Earth from Neptune with the aid of a nuclear explosion. It makes noise. There is a fireball. His craft isn't damaged. He hits Earth spot on
    13. He not only hits Earth -- on his first try -- he lands in the United States -- in an open field -- where military personnel are waiting for him
    14. After his long journey to Neptune and back, he gets out of his craft on Earth... and walks away

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Yesterday tonight, good witty, feel good romcom with a superb soundtrack (obviously). A nice movie.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    [QUOTE=NogbadTheBad;932139]Watched Yesterday tonight, good witty, feel good romcom with a superb soundtrack (obviously). A nice movi

Good light entertainment. I liked it.

Last night we watched Dark Tower. A fantasy movie with compelling characters, unique story, interesting from start to finish.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Watched the horror movie Midsommar (2019) last night.

Beautifully filmed , excellent acting and music but I found it overlong and and not very scary.

The Wicker Man from 1973 told a similar story only better.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Perhaps more significantly, the panners don't talk about the movie as a movie (when they do they generally admit, for example, that Phoenix's performance is awesome); they talk about it being socially and politically dangerous: the equivalent of Frederic Wertham telling parents in the '50s that comics caused juvenile delinquency and bringing about the Comics Code that stifled an art form for two or three decades. (Add comments about Hayes Office as appropriate.)
    One of my favorite Groucho Marx lines is in At The Circus, when the villainess crams the envelope with the money she's stolen from the circus owner down the front of her blouse. After she leaves, Groucho breaks the fourth wall and says "There must be some way of getting that money back without getting in trouble with the Hayes Office".

And then there's the audio commentary from "The King", on the Bubba Ho-Tep DVD, where he keeps talking about how "You couldn't get a picture like this past the Hayes Office!"

Sorry, those are the two things I think of when someone talks about the Hayes Code.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Apparently... Brad Pitt's salary soaked up so much of the budget that they couldn't afford a script writer. Couldn't afford a continuity person. And DEFINITELY couldn't afford a science advisor.

Whereas "Gravity" had some really believable deep space scenes.... And "The Martian" was meticulously researched so everything they did was scientifically possible... For "Ad Astra" none of this was true.
    The good things:
    • The scenes on the surface of Mars looked pretty good; the terrain was believable but there was some kind of atmospheric red haze which does not exist
    • The scenes of weightlessness inside the spacecraft were some of the best I've ever seen, rivaling real footage from the ISS
    • The liftoff of a rocket from the far side of the moon looked enough different from an Earth launch to be believable

The bad things:
    Good lord, where to begin? This list is very incomplete. In rough order of egregiousness:
    2. Matt Damon, wait Brad Pitt was able to fly everything (even to Neptune!) and arm a nuclear bomb, all without any training
    3. Brad's fellow astronauts were Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland. I believe they may be a little past their expiration date as astronauts
    4. Brad probably is too
    6. When going to Neptune, the spacecraft is shown going past Saturn and Jupiter first. Apparently all the planets are in a row
    7. When Brad goes from the Earth to the moon, the craft is aimed straight for the moon. Apparently it no longer orbits and the writer's never heard of rotational assist
    8. Brad lands on Mars, and at the craft orbiting Neptune, and back on Earth, all by dead reckoning
    12. Brad returns to Earth from Neptune with the aid of a nuclear explosion. It makes noise. There is a fireball. His craft isn't damaged. He hits Earth spot on
    13. He not only hits Earth -- on his first try -- he lands in the United States -- in an open field -- where military personnel are waiting for him
    14. After his long journey to Neptune and back, he gets out of his craft on Earth... and walks away
    I agree with some of these, but i will take just one as an example for inaccuracy...

Sutherland and Jones were NOT Pitts fellow astronauts. Not sure how you came to that conclusion.

The good things:

The bad things:
    4. Brad probably is too
    Killer Monkeys ????!!!!! Good god ,I'm in!

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Sutherland and Jones were NOT Pitts fellow astronauts. Not sure how you came to that conclusion.
    Okay, full disclosure, Jones was ALREADY at Neptune and Sutherland was SCHEDULED to go but had to cancel at the last minute, literally on the gangplank to the spacecraft, due to health concerns. Happy?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 1 Week Ago at 11:11 AM.

The good things:

The bad things:
    4. Brad probably is too
    Agreed

And never, EVER respond to a mayday in outer space!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Agreed
    Well, that probably means I'm going to like this movie.

Watched most of Blood On Satan's Claw on TCM last night. I saw maybe about the first half hour, then fell asleep for a bit, and then woke up in time for the last 45 minutes or so. I have to admit, the reason I tuned was the presence of new fewer than two Doctor Who escapees, Wendy Padbury and Anthony Ainley. It's sort of one of those Hammer style horror flicks (but not actually made by Hammer House) from the early 70's, set in the 17th century, involving teenagers who get mixed up with a witch who is attempting to summon Satan. Or something like that. Thought the portions I saw were pretty decent.

They showed a few other good movies last night, but I wasn't able to catch any of them except one, The Seventh Victim, which I have on the DVR and hoping to watch in the next couple days. Just a reminder, tonight is Godzilla night on TCM. We're getting Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster and Invasion Of Astro-Monster and I'm not sure what else.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Agreed

And never, EVER respond to a mayday in outer space!
    What fun would that be then?! BAH! I'm a horror fan, stupid decisions are my thing baby!

...speaking of which, it's time to get my Halloween horror binge on. I'm thinking of maybe starting on Netflix tonight with As Far So Below Haven't seen this yet and heard it was decent. Anyone? Any recs?

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...speaking of which, it's time to get my Halloween horror binge on. I'm thinking of maybe starting on Netflix tonight with As Far So Below Haven't seen this yet and heard it was decent. Anyone? Any recs?
    Do you mean As Above, So Below? If so, then yes, I have seen it and liked it. Claustrophobia in the tunnels underneath Paris. Pretty unique movie.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Do you mean As Above, So Below? If so, then yes, I have seen it and liked it. Claustrophobia in the tunnels underneath Paris. Pretty unique movie.
    Yes that's the one. Friends keep telling me I'd like it. Thanks!

Lou have you seen The Ritual and Apostle. Both Netflix originals. I'm sure they have been brought up here and you probably have seen them. If you haven't I recommend them. Slow burns, but great atmosphere and pretty creepy. I liked Apostle a bit better...good one for this time of year.

^ Have you watched The Endless? Pretty weird, creepy movie. One that fills you with dread, especially if you really dwell on the ideas presented. Kind of a cosmic horror movie. You may enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ Have you watched The Endless? Pretty weird, creepy movie. One that fills you with dread, especially if you really dwell on the ideas presented. Kind of a cosmic horror movie. You may enjoy it!
    That one is in my list...thanks!