Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #201
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I recognized Ponce De Leon, Prognosis Negative, and Rochelle, Rochelle, which are all movies mentioned on Seinfeld. In other words, they're not real movies.
    Ah. Which leaves one wondering the point?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  2. #202
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Ah. Which leaves one wondering the point?
    Your guess is as good as mine.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Rochelle, Rochelle: "A young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk."
    Yeah, was thinking I shouldn't include that one because its too easily recognizable.

    As to why, as Kevin Bacons character says in Diner, "just for a smile" (and somewhat of an experiment).

  4. #204
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,919
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    As to why, as Kevin Bacons character says in Diner, "just for a smile" (and somewhat of an experiment).
    Good. I don't feel quite so bad about not having heard of ANY of them.

  5. #205
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post

    As to why, as Kevin Bacons character says in Diner, "just for a smile"
    Geezer would just burn a joint if he needed a smile, and that's an approach that I can get behind. Give it a try.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  6. #206
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,179
    I'm smiling most of the time since 2009 when I retired. I burn one when I want to grin.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  7. #207
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,139
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I'm smiling most of the time since 2009 when I retired. I burn one when I want to grin.
    Dude, my job, for the next month at least, is overseeing contractors at a marina. Most of the people who have boats at the marina are retired. There's a bridge where I can hang out and keep an eye out on all activities, and the locals cross it regularly. When I first got there, people would come up to me, and without exception, they would all say "Don't wait one more day, when you have the chance to retire, do it! Don't wait a day, don't wait a second! You'll never regret it." Preaching to the choir, but it's all good. I feel sorry for the people who feel empty in retirement.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Dude, my job, for the next month at least, is overseeing contractors at a marina. Most of the people who have boats at the marina are retired. There's a bridge where I can hang out and keep an eye out on all activities, and the locals cross it regularly. When I first got there, people would come up to me, and without exception, they would all say "Don't wait one more day, when you have the chance to retire, do it! Don't wait a day, don't wait a second! You'll never regret it." Preaching to the choir, but it's all good. I feel sorry for the people who feel empty in retirement.
    I work more in retirerment than when I officially worked. I , for one , like having something to do , especially when it involves money.

  9. #209
    Speaking of Westerns ; 2017's The Ballad Of Lefty Brown . Bill Pullman in the title role plays a slow witted long term partner to Peter Fonda's character , a newly elected senator , in the new state of Montana. Fonda is killed and Lefty trys to find the kiler(s). Action , plot twists , gorgeous outdoors scenery, a not typical story arc that keeps you guessing. I liked it , 8 of 10.
    Also watched Spare Parts , a 2015 with Marisa Tormie , George Lopez. Illegal alien high schoolers compete in a robotics completion against well funded college competitors including MIT. Based on a true story , the movie just avoids the sap and is a feel good flic. 7 of 10 , power of the human spirit type stuff.

  10. #210
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    765
    The Sunshine Makers--doc on two guys that made most of the orange sunshine variety of LSD back in the 60s and what happened to them. Fairly interesting.


    A Quiet Place--it was fine, but I found it a bit underwhelming.


    Japanese Story--same, it was okay, twist in the plot making it a bit contrived for me. YMMV

  11. #211
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,618
    Watched Quadrophenia last night, which I hadn't seen in years. I didn't know that Toyah, the future Mrs. Fripp, was in it. Also a very young Timothy Spall in a bit part.

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Watched Quadrophenia last night, which I hadn't seen in years. I didn't know that Toyah, the future Mrs. Fripp, was in it. Also a very young Timothy Spall in a bit part.
    I wasn't aware Toyah was in it either. But it makes sense, she had a career as an actress and new wave vocalist for during the late 70's and 80's.

    I had actually never seen Quadrophenia before a couple years ago, and I have to say, I really didn't think it was all that great. The best bits are where you're actually hear The Who's music. The rest of it is...I'm sorry, am I supposed to be impressed with a movie about a bunch of violent, pill popping jackasses?! Because that's all I see in this picture.

  13. #213
    Geriatric Anomaly progeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    11,179
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I wasn't aware Toyah was in it either. But it makes sense, she had a career as an actress and new wave vocalist for during the late 70's and 80's.

    I had actually never seen Quadrophenia before a couple years ago, and I have to say, I really didn't think it was all that great. The best bits are where you're actually hear The Who's music. The rest of it is...I'm sorry, am I supposed to be impressed with a movie about a bunch of violent, pill popping jackasses?! Because that's all I see in this picture.
    FWIW it was a disappointment for me too, and the music is my favorite Who album.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

    President Harry S. Truman

  14. #214
    Member thedunno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched A Fantastic Woman. It is a Spanish language movie (easy to follow with subtitles) about a transgender woman/nightclub singer/waitress whose older male lover dies, and the hate and suspicion she is shown by his family and the police after his death. Takes place in, and filmed in, Santiago, Chile. Daniela Vega is exceptional as the title character.
    Yeah watched that one too. One of the better movies I saw this year.

  15. #215
    Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    These are a bunch of very underrated and I feel overlooked flicks that I watch quite frequently:


    The Pain and the Yearning
    The Muted Heart
    Cold Fusion
    Blame it on the Rain
    Cry, Cry Again
    The Other Side of Darkness (direct to video)
    Chow Fun
    Mountain High
    Agent Zero
    Ponce DeLeon
    Checkmate
    Prognosis Negative
    Means to an End
    Chunnel
    Death Blow
    Rochelle, Rochelle
    Firestorm
    Sack Lunch
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

  16. #216
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,006
    Death Wish (2018)


    Same story, lackluster film, no surprises, I knew what I was getting into

    I just wanted to see Willis pissed off.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  17. #217
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,516
    The Grey (2011). Stars Liam Neeson. The FX were kinda lame, at least where the wolves are concerned. The movie requires some suspension of disbelief; again, where the wolves are concerned.

    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  18. #218
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,618
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I wasn't aware Toyah was in it either. But it makes sense, she had a career as an actress and new wave vocalist for during the late 70's and 80's.

    I had actually never seen Quadrophenia before a couple years ago, and I have to say, I really didn't think it was all that great. The best bits are where you're actually hear The Who's music. The rest of it is...I'm sorry, am I supposed to be impressed with a movie about a bunch of violent, pill popping jackasses?! Because that's all I see in this picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    FWIW it was a disappointment for me too, and the music is my favorite Who album.
    I'm pretty surprised you guys don't like it. I hadn't seen it in quite a while, and in fact I liked it even more on this viewing. I guess I was comparing it to a few things I've seen somewhat recently, and Quadrophenia seemed much better. One was a comedy called "How to Talk to Girls at Parties," about a group of punks in London, and a group of strange aliens (based on a story by Neil Gaiman). I was also thinking of a series called "The Inbetweeners" that my son showed me.

    Anyway, I find it to be better than many other "rock movies" where the they tell a story using the music and something if the lyrical theme(s) of the album. Of course there are more extreme films like Tommy and The Wall, but somehow I find Quadrophenia to be a bit more human. I don't like all the characters, but I certainly don't in Tommy or The Wall either.

    Also, I didn't know that the whole Mods vs Rockers thing was real, and they really did have a big battle in Brighton. So that whole background is kind of interesting. I liked how the movie added a few touches like the scooters having lots of rear-view mirrors of different sizes, which amplified the multiple personality angle.

  19. #219
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Watched Quadrophenia last night, which I hadn't seen in years. I didn't know that Toyah, the future Mrs. Fripp, was in it. Also a very young Timothy Spall in a bit part.
    I have never seen the movie. But I did see The Who on their Quadrophenia tour in 1973. I'll settle for that.

    One day, maybe I'll have a chance to see the movie.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  20. #220
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,779
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Death Wish (2018)


    Same story, lackluster film, no surprises, I knew what I was getting into

    I just wanted to see Willis pissed off.
    What are Willis's best roles in your opinion.

  21. #221
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,239
    We watched Avengers: Infinity War in the theater last night.

    1. Good movie.
    2. Not a happy movie for the Marvel superheroes.
    3. Theater movie volume was louder than some rock concerts.
    4. Get off my lawn.
    Can this be the swan song? The final elbow?

  22. #222
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, I didn't know that the whole Mods vs Rockers thing was real, and they really did have a big battle in Brighton. So that whole background is kind of interesting. I liked how the movie added a few touches like the scooters having lots of rear-view mirrors of different sizes, which amplified the multiple personality angle.
    I read an interview with Pete Townshend just after Quadrophenia was released, I think, and he talked about the mods vs rockers thing. He said the rockers were greasy bikers and caused all the problems. Yeah, it was all true. Made me want to see the movie, which I've never gotten around to doing.

    BTW, it wasn't just mirrors. They also had lots of lights and horns, too:

    mod scooter.jpg
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  23. #223
    I don't think I've ever watched the whole movie either, just caught parts of it, but did see The Who play the entire Quadrophenia album when Entwistle was still alive, and that was sublime.

  24. #224
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I read an interview with Pete Townshend just after Quadrophenia was released, I think, and he talked about the mods vs rockers thing. He said the rockers were greasy bikers and caused all the problems. Yeah, it was all true. Made me want to see the movie, which I've never gotten around to doing.

    BTW, it wasn't just mirrors. They also had lots of lights and horns, too:

    mod scooter.jpg
    I didn't realize the real mods did that with all the mirrors, lights, etc. Cool!

    The movie got a very good, insightful review in the New York Times in 1979 - I agree with pretty much everything the review says, it's just how I felt about it the other night:

    https://www.nytimes.com/1979/11/02/a...d-rockers.html

  25. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm pretty surprised you guys don't like it. I hadn't seen it in quite a while, and in fact I liked it even more on this viewing. I guess I was comparing it to a few things I've seen somewhat recently, and Quadrophenia seemed much better. One was a comedy called "How to Talk to Girls at Parties," about a group of punks in London, and a group of strange aliens (based on a story by Neil Gaiman). I was also thinking of a series called "The Inbetweeners" that my son showed me.

    Anyway, I find it to be better than many other "rock movies" where the they tell a story using the music and something if the lyrical theme(s) of the album. Of course there are more extreme films like Tommy and The Wall, but somehow I find Quadrophenia to be a bit more human. I don't like all the characters, but I certainly don't in Tommy or The Wall either.

    Also, I didn't know that the whole Mods vs Rockers thing was real, and they really did have a big battle in Brighton. So that whole background is kind of interesting. I liked how the movie added a few touches like the scooters having lots of rear-view mirrors of different sizes, which amplified the multiple personality angle.

    Have to share this one...

    I worked in a cinema in London when Quadrophenia premiered. I remember Pete Townsend turning up late and being a little the worse for wear.

    I was talking about this online recently on another website, and I was prompted to look around for some photos online...and I was shocked to find this...utterly shocked. From 1979, a picture I never even knew existed until now. That's me on the left, very young, fresh faced and somewhat serious looking, trying to persuade a clearly inebriated Townsend to take his seat...

    https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...hoto/852792906
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •