Page 93 of 394 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Illogical?

Sorry, for a second I thought you were serious in looking for logic in a movie like Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
    What in the Wide World Of Sports would make you think I go looking for logic in John Hughes pictures? Who do I look like to you, Sheldon Cooper?! On second thought, don't answer that question.

Next you're going to be accusing me of looking for logic in Roger Corman movies, or Barnaby Jones reruns.

re: Citizen Kane,

I always liked the skit on Saturday Night Live, where they gave us Citizen Kane II, where it's revealed that his last word was not in fact "Rosebud". He actually said something after that..."Henri". We're told Henri was a French immigrant who worked in Kane's office decades earlier, but no one could figure out why he would call out for him just before his death. But we're told in flashback that Kane was fond of roast beef and rye sandwiches. In the end, they show a sign from some diner advertising a roast beef and rye special, the insinuation being that he didn't say "Rosebud...Henri" but rather trying to say "Roast beef on rye", apparently he was craving one right at the end!

"No Coke, no diet, no ginger ale, no grape, no orange, only Pepsi"

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Babysitter

oh boy... pure over the top, ridiculous, enjoyment for this horror/comedy fan. Loved it!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: Citizen Kane,

I always liked the skit on Saturday Night Live, where they gave us Citizen Kane II, where it's revealed that his last word was not in fact "Rosebud". He actually said something after that..."Henri". We're told Henri was a French immigrant who worked in Kane's office decades earlier, but no one could figure out why he would call out for him just before his death. But we're told in flashback that Kane was fond of roast beef and rye sandwiches. In the end, they show a sign from some diner advertising a roast beef and rye special, the insinuation being that he didn't say "Rosebud...Henri" but rather trying to say "Roast beef on rye", apparently he was craving one right at the end!

"No Coke, no diet, no ginger ale, no grape, no orange, only Pepsi"
    I prefer the ending they tacked onto It's a Wonderful Life where after the angel got his wings, they ran over to Potter's place and took turns kicking the shit out of him.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I watched A Star Is Born twice this last weekend.

The second time was because my wife was'nt home, and I was so impressed that I was willing to give it a twofer.

Lady Gaga has gained a lot more respect from me due to her performance.

DtB
    I went to see it at the theater a while back because my wife wanted to see it. I remembered the 70's version of the film, so was not expecting much, but I was totally blown away by the film, and Gaga was simply outstanding. I did not see a ton of films in 2018, but I would rate it #1 of the ones I saw.

If you think that being a songwriter, a pop star and acting are Gaga's entire resume, check out her album of jazz standard duets with the great, ageless Tony Bennett.

I think she's quite talented indeed.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ You weren't wowed by her turn in American Horror Story?
    Never watched that show so?
    DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I prefer the ending they tacked onto It's a Wonderful Life where after the angel got his wings, they ran over to Potter's place and took turns kicking the shit out of him.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

What in the Wide World Of Sports would make you think I go looking for logic in John Hughes pictures? Who do I look like to you, Sheldon Cooper?!
    But, but, but, you're our Sheldon Cooper.

Next you're going to be accusing me of looking for logic in Roger Corman movies, or Barnaby Jones reruns.
    Nah, I wouldn't do that because that would mean you'd be the type of person to detail the inaccuracies in Back To The Future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Never watched that show so?
    DtB
    She was outstanding. Her acting skills were quite evident, which was a surprise to me, and no doubt others. If it's not your type of series, it would be a long slog just to check her out, but if you do like horror, it's well worth watching. I don't recall which season she was in, but it was reasonably recent.

Talking about SNL, I remember there was one skit that depicted an elderly John Belushi as the last surviving member of the Not Ready For Prime Time Players, literally dancing on the graves of his former co-stars. Damn, I hate irony.

Another good one was the Star Trek parody, with Belushi as Kirk, Chevy Chase as Spock, etc. The Enterprise gets boarded by NBC executives who've come to inform them that the show's been cancelled.

And of course there's the Olympia Cafe skits. I guess there were several, but I only remember one, where Belushi won't let Robert Klein have eggs:

Klein: I'll have eggs, over easy...
    Belushi: No eggs, you have cheeseburger
    Klein: It's too early for a cheeseburger
    Belushi: Too early for cheeseburger? (points out customers eating) Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger
    Akyroyd: (echoing Belushi, throwing burger patties on grill) cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger...
    Klein: ALL RIGHT! I'll have a cheeseburger!
    Belushi: (calling out order) CHEESEBURGER!
    Aykroyd: No more cheeseburger!
    Belushi: (echoing Aykroyd) No more cheeseburger!
    Klein: Well, what do you have?
    Belushi: eggs
    Klein: (exasperated) OK, I'll have two eggs, over easy
    Belushi: No over easy, you have scrambled!

Talking about SNL, I remembero there was one skit that depicted an elderly John Belushi as the last surviving member of the Not Ready For Prime Time Players, literally dancing on the graves of his former co-stars. Damn, I hate irony.

Another good one was the Star Trek parody, with Belushi as Kirk, Chevy Chase as Spock, etc. The Enterprise gets boarded by NBC executives who've come to inform them that the show's been cancelled.

And of course there's the Olympia Cafe skits. I guess there were several, but I only remember one, where Belushi won't let Robert Klein have eggs:

Klein: I'll have eggs, over easy...
    Belushi: No eggs, you have cheeseburger
    Klein: It's too early for a cheeseburger
    Belushi: Too early for cheeseburger? (points out customers eating) Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger
    Akyroyd: (echoing Belushi, throwing burger patties on grill) cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger...
    Klein: ALL RIGHT! I'll have a cheeseburger!
    Belushi: (calling out order) CHEESEBURGER!
    Aykroyd: No more cheeseburger!
    Belushi: (echoing Aykroyd) No more cheeseburger!
    Klein: Well, what do you have?
    Belushi: eggs
    Klein: (exasperated) OK, I'll have two eggs, over easy
    Belushi: No over easy, you have scrambled!
    That's one of my favourite SNL sketches, but if you try and analyse whats funny about it, it's difficult. There are no real gags or funny lines in it as such...it's just kind of...funny by repetition.

I get the language aspect of it...the staff don't really speak much English but they get away with it by insisting their customers only order from their extremely limited menu.

One of those things that should not really work, but just does.

No Coke, Pepsi!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    That's one of my favourite SNL sketches, but if you try and analyse whats funny about it, it's difficult. There are no real gags or funny lines in it as such...it's just kind of...funny by repetition.

I get the language aspect of it...the staff don't really speak much English but they get away with it by insisting their customers only order from their extremely limited menu.

Not having seen the sketch it seems to work on the same principal as the Monty Python Cheese & Spam sketches.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

That was the thing about SNL in those first few years, there was a lot of stuff that shouldn't have really worked, but it did, somehow.

Supposedly, the Olympia Cafe was based on a restaurant in Chicago that Belushi's family used to frequent when he was a kid. Apparently, it's still there.

Another of my favorite bits was Dan Aykroyd operating two radio stations, AM and FM, at the same time. On the FM station he says stuff like, "If you ewre at that Grateful Dead show at the Garden last night, you probably know exactly how I feel right now" and plays Black Sabbath, on the AM station he's doing all this bright, upbeat patter and plays Tony Orlando & Dawn. It's hysterical watching him go back and forth between the two personae.

Another good one was Aykroyd, as Jimmy Carter, talking down a guy who's having a bad acid trip, over the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Not having seen the sketch it seems to work on the same principal as the Monty Python Cheese & Spam sketches.
    Now that you mention it, in a way, it is very similar to the spam sketch, at least the "extremely limited menu" aspect. Of course, the SNL skit doesn't have Vikings singing the spam song.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If you think that being a songwriter, a pop star and acting are Gaga's entire resume, check out her album of jazz standard duets with the great, ageless Tony Bennett.

I think she's quite talented indeed.
    She needs to do a straight up rock and roll album. She could absolutely kill it if she wanted to. Hell she could even do metal as she is an admitted fan of Metallica and Iron Maiden. Of course she wore a Yes T-shirt in the movie and could probably do a great prog album if she put her mind to it too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    She was outstanding. Her acting skills were quite evident, which was a surprise to me, and no doubt others. If it's not your type of series, it would be a long slog just to check her out, but if you do like horror, it's well worth watching. I don't recall which season she was in, but it was reasonably recent.
    Agree, she was very good in AHS. She was actually in two seasons. She was in "AHS Hotel" as one of the main characters. She also was in "AHS Roanoke" playing some kind of witch if I remember correctly.

Supposedly, the Olympia Cafe was based on a restaurant in Chicago that Belushi's family used to frequent when he was a kid. Apparently, it's still there.

ne.
    It is the Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago. I have been there, but it has been a while. Last I knew it was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    She needs to do a straight up rock and roll album. She could absolutely kill it if she wanted to. Hell she could even do metal as she is an admitted fan of Metallica and Iron Maiden. Of course she wore a Yes T-shirt in the movie and could probably do a great prog album if she put her mind to it too.
    I'd love to hear her do a Pat Benatar/Heart type of thing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Agree, she was very good in AHS. She was actually in two seasons. She was in "AHS Hotel" as one of the main characters. She also was in "AHS Roanoke" playing some kind of witch if I remember correctly.
    Cool. Hotel was the season I watched. Haven't seen Roanoke yet. I'm slowly making my way on Prime through the seasons I didn't see, and am currently at Coven.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 02-20-2019 at 08:23 PM. Reason: sp

I was reading that someone at a dinner for Oscar nominees got sandwiched between Lady Gaga and a film soundtrack composer. The conversation turned to jazz and the actor in between said Gaga and the soundtrack guy spent the rest of the dinner talking jazz. And, as mentioned above, she did an album with Tony Bennett. I've seen her do metal quite well. And she owns Zappa's house with the intention of recording there. She sounds like a music omnivore.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I mentioned The Dark Tower a few pages back. Did anyone else see it or want to? I thought it was outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I mentioned The Dark Tower a few pages back. Did anyone else see it or want to? I thought it was outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    I watched it and enjoyed it, it got killed on rotten tomatoes.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.