Page 89 of 394 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 9828

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

The new Walking Dead season starts tonight too.

Another good way to keep track of TV in your area is tv.com--put in your zip code, etc. to find the schedule in your area under the More tab at the top right hand side of the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    You're not looking in the right place.

After everything went digital, a bunch of "networks" popped up on local sub-channels. If they existed before, I have no idea. But local channels started broadcasting them on their sub-channels. Some of these networks are Charge!, Comet, Decades, Grit, MeTV, etc.
    I keep forgetting about those. The subchannels have been around for at least 10 or 12 years. Unfortunately, most of them don't broadcast on cable, or whatever-the-frell AT&T U-verse is. I should probably buy an antenna and see what our local broadcast channels have in their sub-channels.
    Depending on the network, they show newer movies but they also show older ones, as well as old TV shows. You can find old westerns (including the Clint Eastwood ones), old sci-fi movies, newer thrillers, and old TV shows like Burns & Allen, Donna Reed, Rawhide, The Rifleman, Leave it to Beaver, Mary Tyler Moore, Taxi, Barney Miller and all kinds of stuff.
    That's something that was, until recently driving me upt he wall, because there were a lot of classic shows none of the channels on our service got. Right before we switched to U-verse, 11 years ago (!!), Time Warner had a channel that showed the old Irwin Allen shows, as well as things like Mission: Impossible (Tom WHO?!), and other cool shows from the 60's and 70's. But U-verse didn't have that channel, and still doesn't.

I remember U-verse did have the Chiller channel, and for about two weeks I got to watch Night Gallery for the first time in like 20 years, but unfortunately, this was just before the new year 2008, and on January 1, that show went away.

Lately, though, we've gotten something called FETV, which for awhile was carrying part of the schedule of something called COZI-TV, so we got to see things like The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Emergency!, Adam-12, and Dragnet. The Bionic Woman and The Six Million Dollar Man I hadn't seen since the Sci-Fi Channel stopped running those shows in the late 90's, but the others, I hadn't seen in more like 30 years!

Eventually, FETV got rid of the COZI programming, but they still show lots of cool old shows, things like Designing Women, One Day At A Time, The Lone Ranger, Lassie (one of the few places I've seen anyone show any of the episodes from before and after the Timmy era), Sgt Preston Of The Yukon, The Flying Nun (sshhhh, don't tell Sally Fields), Maude, Perry Mason, and even Peter Gunn. They also show the original Bob Newhart Show and I thnk Mary Tyler Moore, also.

There's a few other cool channels. For awhile, we had something called FamilyNet, which showed The Monkees, Barney Miller, All In The Family, and literally the only place I've ever seen Archie Bunker's Place being rerun. They also ran My Three Sons, again, I hadn't seen that since the 80's (and I hadn't seen the colour episodes since the early 80's!). Unfortunately, FamilyNet eventually morphed into the Cowboy CHannel. They show The Lone Ranger, but the rest of the channel's current programming concerns itself with rodeos and other things apparently related to real life cowboying (whatever the frell that entails, beyond being just an excuse for a bunch of John Wayne wannabes to act macho and overdose on testosterone).

H&I has been showing all kinds of cool shows. For awhile they were showing Mannix, nowadays they've got Hill Street Blues, all the Star Trek series (well, all the ones prior to this new one, they were even showing the animated series for awhile, again, something I hadn't seen since the mid 80's), they were showing some other good cop shows for awhile, as well as Swamp Thing, and a bunch of other neat things.

The El Rey network, which is apparently run by Robert Rodriguez, shows a lot of martial arts flicks from the 70's and early 80's (the real stuff, too, from Hong Kong, none of this Chuck Norris nonsense).

And so on. So we get a few channels showing vintage TV stuff. But I always salivate when I think about some of the stuff the channels we don't get are showing.

ANother thing that's kinda driving me crazy about American TV, is all these channels that are showing the same shows. How many different channels do I need to see MASH on?! And none of them include the finale in their package! How many channels need to show Law And Order?! How many need to show Two And A Half Men? Or Murder She Wrote, or any of these other shows?!

Before she passed away, my mom used to love watching old reruns of Laugh-In, which she never really liked when it was first broadcast.
    I watched Laugh-In when Nick At Nite was running it back in the late 80's. Everytime I hear someone "Very interesting", I alway add, "But also schtoopid!". Goldie Hawn and Judie Carne were both way hot, too! Love that show. Recently, I was at a store that had the Saturday Evening Post with Judy Carne, Goldie Hawn and...was it Teresa Graves? Anyway, the three Laugh-In girls, on the cove,r with Goldie in a wetsuit. They wanted about 10 bucks for it. I thought about buying it.

Anyway, to explain sub-channels... if you were getting local channels over the air, generally you'd find the HD channels on *.1 and the sub-channels on *.2 thru *.5. I seem to recall you're in the Cleveland area, aren't you? If so, Fox is on 8.1, AntennaTV on 8.2, Comet on 8.3, and Charge! on 8.4 (incidentally, Comet is showing Sleeper tonight at 6pm).
    Yeah, I kinda have a basic idea of how it works. As I said, I need to get an antenna.
    One thing to consider is that sub-channels are broadcast in SD, not HD, probably to reduce bandwidth.
    I don't understand the big deal about HD. It looks exactly the same to my nearsighted eyes. I remember about 15 or so years ago, we were at my aunt's house for THanksgiving, and my uncle was toggling back and forth between the SD and HD version of whichever channel was showing the football game, and I couldn't get it, to me they looked the same. (shrug)

And I don't imagine there's much you can do with a 50 year old TV show to make it look any better than it does in SD. I mean, do we really need Burns And Allen in HD?! It's not going to make George's next door neighbor's overly convoluted explanations of things, or Gracie's crazy stories about her crackpot relatives any funnier, is it?
    Where sub-channels are in your cable lineup I haven't a clue but when I had cable they were usually in the lowered numbered channels, which were all SD. You can also look for those SD TV networks if you have an onscreen guide.
    I've tried looking for them, but I don't think we get most of them. I sort of stumbled across FamilyNet and FETV by accident, because they were hidden among the "religion" channels (all of which seem to devote some part of their programming to showing westerns, for some reason). Thankfully, FETV seems to have cut back it's religious programming recently, in favor of showing more vintage TV.
    I know what you mean about Sandler, and I agree, but his movie, The Waterboy, is actually really funny.
    I gather he's made a couple sort of semi-serious movies (or maybe completely serious) that a lot of people seem to think are pretty good. I know there's one where he plays a homeless man whose wife died on Sept 11. I heard that's supposed to be a good movie.

It's the same deal as with Jim Carrey. A couple of Carrey's usual work is maybe not bad, but it's not the kind of humor I just don't enjoy. On the other hand, I did like The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, and I gather there's a couple other movies where he sort of moves outside of his usual comfort zone.

Mission Impossible: Fallout--fun wall to wall action film.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Tremors 6: A Cold Day In Hell - If you liked the first five Tremors movies, you will like the latest sandworm fest.
    LOL! No doubt!

This makes me think of my brother who had the boxed set of Leprechaun movies.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I know it's not logical in any way, but even though there are several of Cruise's performances that I think were quite good, ever since I got into watching Leah Remini's Scientology expose a few years ago and his status as the #1 Scientology poster boy, I've developed enough disdain for Cruise that I can't watch him anymore.

If you practice Scientology, no offense but..........
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I know it's not logical in any way, but even though there are several of Cruise's performances that I think were quite good, ever since I got into watching Leah Remini's Scientology expose a few years ago and his status as the #1 Scientology poster boy, I've developed enough disdain for Cruise that I can't watch him anymore.

pp

it's funny how those "expose's" always skew toward the negative and the haters and those who left, etc.
    not trying to defend Scientology at all mind you... but those "expose's" are patently ridiculous
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I totally get what you're saying, Geez, but for some reason, I still really enjoy a lot of Cruise's work.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    it's funny how those "expose's" always skew toward the negative and the haters and those who left, etc.
    not trying to defend Scientology at all mind you... but those "expose's" are patently ridiculous
    Not in this case.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I find it is possible for me to enjoy Cruise's on-screen performances without having any desire to join the cult of which he is a member, er, zombie. Mission Impossible: Fallout is an entertaining movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MT
    "expose's"
    Funny you should use the possessive....

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I should probably buy an antenna and see what our local broadcast channels have in their sub-channels.
    I looked into getting an antenna and did some research on them until I discovered one already mounted in my attic. I just had to hook it up.

They're not that expensive but look through the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere before you buy one. Some are cheap and worthless, some are low to mid priced and work great, and others appear to be overpriced.

As for watching an old show in HD, you're right; it's pointless if they haven't remastered those shows, which I'm pretty sure 99.9% of them haven't been. But, as for 720p HD vs SD for newer shows, I'm thinking you need glasses... or a better pair. It's not quite like night & day, but it's close. 1080p HD (BluRay quality) vs SD is like night & day. I've yet to see UHD in person, yet, but the lowest resolution is 4,096p (what they call 4K). That's over 3,000 more pixels in the horizontal!

My only complaint with digital is when there is environmental interference, the signal pixelates (or worse) whereas in the old days, bad weather often improved analog signals, but at the very least, you could still see it, albeit with snow.

It's the same deal as with Jim Carrey. A couple of Carrey's usual work is maybe not bad, but it's not the kind of humor I just don't enjoy. On the other hand, I did like The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, and I gather there's a couple other movies where he sort of moves outside of his usual comfort zone.
    I'm with you on Carrey but ESotSM was excellent. He was also good in The Truman Show and The Number 31 (or was it 21? 29? 23? something like that). It was a horror movie I liked up to a point. Can't remember the ending, tho, which is usually a bad sign. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Funny you should use the possessive....
    D'OH

then again... aren't they just cash grabs by some celeb type?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal...
    I looked into getting an antenna and did some research on them until I discovered one already mounted in my attic. I just had to hook it up.

They're not that expensive but look through the reviews on Amazon and elsewhere before you buy one. Some are cheap and worthless, some are low to mid priced and work great, and others appear to be overpriced.
    The place we lived before our current home had an attic antenna that I hooked up to and used, while we were there. Worked great. I have read that those "roof antennas" are the best for broadcast TV, beating all indoor antennas. It would be pointless to install one on a roof around here, as we are prone to high winds and snow and ice. An attic, or garage rafters, work well as an antenna location and provide it with shelter from the storm. I have considered buying one and installing it in our garage, but getting the antenna wire into the house would be a tough chore. Meanwhile, rabbit ears work most of the time, and we can see the distant mountain home of the broadcast antennas from our yard. When a channel or two shuts down during storms it is due to the broadcast antenna and not my own. And if we miss a TV show, so what? It's just not that important.

My only complaint with digital is when there is environmental interference, the signal pixelates (or worse) whereas in the old days, bad weather often improved analog signals, but at the very least, you could still see it, albeit with snow.
    That is annoying. Another thing I liked about analog TVs is that you could take them outside, and they would work fine with their built in rabbit ears. Take your digital TV away from its antenna and D/A converter, and it is just a paperweight. I used to like watching a baseball game on the porch outdoors on a hot summer night. Digital TV did away with that, not only by making it a hassle to watch TV outdoors, but by taking baseball off broadcast TV and making it a cable/satellite exclusive. Oh, well.
    Last edited by spellbound; 02-11-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Tom Cruise is no Peter Graves, or Martin Landau, even.

On the other hand, I liked Risky Business, Legend, and Rain Man.

If one has issues with Tom Cruise and his association with Scientology, how does one feel about, say, John Travolta, Billy Sheehan, Chick Corea, or Edgar Winter? They're all Scientologists too. I've met Billy Sheehan, he seems like a pretty nice guy, and I like his music. What do I care what he does in his private life. I mean, it's not like he's a rapists or something.

I have strong opinions on organized religion ,which I elect to keep to myself, trying something new in 2019. But as Cruise ages , I'm liking his movies more. I enjoyed the 2 Reacher flics.

If one has issues with Tom Cruise and his association with Scientology, how does one feel about, say, John Travolta, Billy Sheehan, Chick Corea, or Edgar Winter? They're all Scientologists too. I've met Billy Sheehan, he seems like a pretty nice guy, and I like his music. What do I care what he does in his private life. I mean, it's not like he's a rapists or something.
    Woah...what's with the knock on rapists? Have you met one? Racist... #rapists

Wheelman

Was in the mood for a short action/thriller on Netflix so I tried this one and was not disappointed! The whole movie is pretty much a guy in a car trying to get away from bad stuff he got tangled up in

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

D'OH

then again... aren't they just cash grabs by some celeb type?
    L - Check out Miller's Bare-Faced Messiah. L. Ron Hubbard was a scam artist, and Scientology is not only a scam, it's a scam that enslaves people. Literally. (Read up on the Sea Org to understand more about that.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    L - Check out Miller's Bare-Faced Messiah. L. Ron Hubbard was a scam artist, and Scientology is not only a scam, it's a scam that enslaves people. Literally. (Read up on the Sea Org to understand more about that.)
    This.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Aren't all ..... ducks.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We live in an age where scam artists prosper.

Old news.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I enjoyed the 2 Reacher flics.
    I was surprised at how much I liked them, considering how wrong Cruise is, physically, for the role.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Watched Widows last night. I actually embraced the changes from the original and went with it.

I remember the original series on UK TV way back when. Enjoyed it at the time, but I bought it to watch a month or so back and found it a hard slog.

Its a little slow in the build up to the heist, but after a while you realise that it's not your average heist movie, and like most of McQueens movies it does not follow conventional movie tropes.

The acting was excellent from all concerned, and the interplay, dialogue and relationships between the characters is what drives it along.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Polar

Netflix original film about an agency of hit men. (and women) Mandatory retirement occurs at age 50, as they want
    their employees to remain sharp. Retirement comes with a company pension. What happens when the company
    decides that it is better for their bottom line for the retiree to die, rather than fund the pension? Gritty, and very violent.
    I enjoyed this one a lot!
    While I agree with later posts (than yours) that the torture scene was squeamishly brutal, I just finished watching Polar and really was impressed. Great casting and a very high sleaze factor (not always a bad thing), along with bit parts by Johnny Knoxville & Richard Dreyfuss.

L. Ron Hubbard was a scam artist,
    A confidence man masquerading as a clergyman. So what else is new? I believe they used to call those guys "false prophets". Now, we call them televangelists.

A confidence man masquerading as a clergyman. So what else is new? I believe they used to call those guys "false prophets". Now, we call them televangelists.
    wasn't he a Sci-Fi novelist in the beginning?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    wasn't he a Sci-Fi novelist in the beginning?
    Yes, and created Scientology on a bet.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.