Page 88 of 394 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138188 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There's a scene where all the prisoners are showering (while one of the matrons is watching them through a hole int he wall, pleasuring herself in the process). Later, Grier and Markov are put in "the oven" (a big metal box), naked. Then much later in the movie, a crime boss that Grier's character has stolen money from is seen in his palatial estate, surrounded by nubile, and yes, naked, Filipino women.
    Oh, man, Pam Grier. <putting everything on hold to find this movie>

This also has possibly the worst death by gunshot moment I've seen in a movie, where someone is shot, you see the squib explode, and then an appreciable delay, at least a couple seconds, before the person collapses.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Oh, man, Pam Grier. <putting everything on hold to find this movie>
    Yeah, that was my thought, plus it was distributed by American International, directed by Eddie Romero, produced by Romero and John Ashley, and both Vic Diaz and Sid Haig are also in it. In exploitation movie terms, you can't go wrong with a combination like that.

But my favorite Pam Grier movie is still Sheba Baby.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Big Trouble In Little China, if it comes on I have to watch it, that and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    Big Trouble, absolutely. ("You know what ol' Jack Burton says at a time like this...")
    Holy Grail, also absolutely ("Good idea, Lord...OF COURSE IT'S A GOOD IDEA!!!" Classic)

Also:
    Princess Bride
    That Thing You Do
    Fifth Element
    Citizen Kane

Speaking of Pam Grier, I watched Coffy (1973) last week.

One of the greatest bad movies of all time!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Watched The Girl with All the Gifts with my wife. That was certainly a new, and smarter take, on the tired zombie trope. And the one line the movie swings on towards the end: devastating.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Watched The Girl with All the Gifts with my wife. That was certainly a new, and smarter take, on the tired zombie trope. And the one line the movie swings on towards the end: devastating.
    This definitely is quite unique
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Close on Netflix w/Noomi Rapace (the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" girl) is great fun. Once again she plays a badass, who's hired to guard a spoiled teenage girl. Great fight & "shoot 'em up" stuff, and Rapace and the young teenage actor are quite believable.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Close on Netflix w/Noomi Rapace (the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" girl) is great fun. Once again she plays a badass, who's hired to guard a spoiled teenage girl. Great fight & "shoot 'em up" stuff, and Rapace and the young teenage actor are quite believable.
    Enjoyed this one too!

See No Evil--1971, Mia Farrow plays a blind girl and a serial killer has killed everyone in the manor where she's staying. Pretty decent slasher.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Tremors 6: A Cold Day In Hell - If you liked the first five Tremors movies, you will like the latest sandworm fest.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Tremors 6: A Cold Day In Hell - If you liked the first five Tremors movies, you will like the latest sandworm fest.
    Does this stand alone, or do you need to have seen the other ones first?

I think it would stand alone. You might be momentarily puzzled by a handful of references to earlier movies, but you're primarily watching for the action and the monsters, and that's most of the movie. All the Tremors movies feature Michael Gross as Burt Gummer. The first Tremors film was the only one with Kevin Bacon, and also starred Fred Ward, whom we were fans of. And Reba McEntire's sole appearance as Gummer's wife, Heather. We also liked it for the familiar filming locations near Lone Pine, California. Tremors 2 also featured Fred Ward, and more So Cal locations standing in for Mexico. Tremors 3 more So Cal locations standing in for Nevada. Tremors 4 was a trip back to the old west, a sort of prequel, with more So Cal locations standing in for Nevada, and Gross playing Burt's ancestor Hiram Gummer. Tremors 5 moves the setting to South Africa, with filming locations all there, and introduces Jamie Kennedy's character. Tremors 6 continues Kennedy's involvement and improved acting, and was filmed in South Africa, standing in for Canada's Nunavut Territory. I grew up watching old horror B movies. YMMV. None of these movies have ever been up for any awards.

Speaking of Fred Ward, he was in two of my favorite movies from the 80's, which I've probably already talked about this thread, in which case, ignore this post:

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, where he plays a cop who basically drafted into a covert ops organization where he has to stop some mad general from starting WWIII. Good picture, though Joel Grey had all the good lines (e.g. "The trained mind doesn't need a watch! Watches are a confidence scam invented by the Swiss!").

Secret Admirer, where he plays a vice cop who thinks his wife has having an affair with a member of their bridge club. The scene where he finds the note in his wife's purse that makes him this is classic, with his face going from puzzlement about the letter to, as he's reading it, one of those classic "if looks could kill" looks. And he's great through the whole picture.

I've always intended to check out the Tremors pictures (they all seem to play periodically on the premium channels), but the opportunity always seems to slip by.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Speaking of Pam Grier, I watched Coffy (1973) last week.

One of the greatest bad movies of all time!
    I can't remember which is which, but I saw Coffy and Foxy Brown ages ago (both have essentially the same plot, a bad ass woman getting revenge for the death of a family member, see also: Sheba Baby), on cable TV. Both highly entertaining pictures, as any good blaxploitation picture should be. Great cinema?! Once again, it depends on your definition.

If we let what is considered good cinema rule all our viewing choices, we miss out on a lot of fun pictures. The Tremors movies all have a humor element to them.

Timerider, cowritten by Michael Nesmith, is another enjoyable Fred Ward movie that isn't as bad as the critics would have you believe.

I will look into Remo Williams and Secret Admirer. I've probably seen the former, but not for a while. Not sure I've seen the latter.

I will look into Remo Williams
    Let me look and see if I still have it on an old Fuji VHS tape along with Alan Quatermain And The Lost City Of Gold, I'll send it to you.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If we let what is considered good cinema rule all our viewing choices
    so true... having gone to college and earning a degree in film-making I just can not stomach LCD slasher/horror/violence flicks. There has to be some cinematic art for me. Watching slasher/horror/violence flicks is like listening to Country or Rap music for me
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

If we let what is considered good cinema rule all our viewing choices, we miss out on a lot of fun pictures.
    Which was the point I was trying to make at the beginning of this thread, and I'm not sure if I represented my thoughts clearly on the matter, I happen to enjoy watching a lot of "fun" pictures, more so than whatever Siskel and/or Ebert (or their replacements, or predecessors) say are supposed to be the "best pictures of..." whatever year or whatever era.

One thing that drives me crazy about American TV these days is the disappearance of all those B-movies they used to show on late night shifts, especially on the weekends, back in the 80's and 90's. It's not there anymore. Now you turn TBS on at 3:00am in the morning, and they're showing either informercials or Adam Sandler movies. PASS!!!!!!!

Timerider, cowritten by Michael Nesmith, is another enjoyable Fred Ward movie that isn't as bad as the critics would have you believe.
    ].
    Is that the one where he plays the time traveling motorcyclist, who ends up...oh, I'm almost spoiled the ending. But yeah, I remember that one, haven't seen it in like 30 years though.

hey... dont get me wrong... once in a blue moon I'll hear a Rap or Country song I think is cute, but that's pretty rare
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    One thing that drives me crazy about American TV these days is the disappearance of all those B-movies they used to show on late night shifts, especially on the weekends, back in the 80's and 90's. It's not there anymore.
    Late night TV was even better in the '70s, when they seemed to feel obligated to show something decent for people who worked the swing shift. In the '60s you could find 'B' movies on any hour of the day or night, at least on channels that didn't shut off at midnight. 'A' movies, too. They used to show them after their time in the theaters was through, before they figured out they could put them on videotape and sell them to you, along with the VCRs to play them. Nowadays, movie lovers look at videotapes in the same way music lovers look at 8-tracks. I look at my VCR like a paperweight.

I was looking through the onscreen TV schedule earlier and saw a movie called "Yo, Robot," which I though was funny until I realized it was just "I, Robot" on the Spanish language channel.

Early each year, we try to watch all the 'best picture' nominees. Then we crank our noses back down, and for the rest of the year, we watch whatever we want. I'll read reviews, but take them with a grain of salt. Our local print media movie reviewer hated Bohemian Rhapsody. Our friends liked it. We liked it. I wasn't going to miss a movie about Queen.

The Salvation

Very entertaining old school, no bullshit, revenge western! Simple as that. If you're a fan of the Eastwood classics, check it out. Good stuff!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    The Salvation

Very entertaining old school, no bullshit, revenge western! Simple as that. If you're a fan of the Eastwood classics, check it out. Good stuff!
    Pierce Bronson?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Pierce Bronson?
    No that I believe was called Seraphim Falls which was also excellent! This one has Jeffery Dean Morgan, Eva Green (mmmm) and the dude in Polar.

Check it out if you're a fan of westerns. It's on Netflix
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    One thing that drives me crazy about American TV these days is the disappearance of all those B-movies they used to show on late night shifts, especially on the weekends, back in the 80's and 90's. It's not there anymore.
    You're not looking in the right place.

After everything went digital, a bunch of "networks" popped up on local sub-channels. If they existed before, I have no idea. But local channels started broadcasting them on their sub-channels. Some of these networks are Charge!, Comet, Decades, Grit, MeTV, etc. Depending on the network, they show newer movies but they also show older ones, as well as old TV shows. You can find old westerns (including the Clint Eastwood ones), old sci-fi movies, newer thrillers, and old TV shows like Burns & Allen, Donna Reed, Rawhide, The Rifleman, Leave it to Beaver, Mary Tyler Moore, Taxi, Barney Miller and all kinds of stuff.

Before she passed away, my mom used to love watching old reruns of Laugh-In, which she never really liked when it was first broadcast. The fact that she also had dementia and would laugh hysterically at the show made me wonder if her experience was similar to young people in the '60s/'70s watching it while stoned or tripping. lol

Anyway, to explain sub-channels... if you were getting local channels over the air, generally you'd find the HD channels on *.1 and the sub-channels on *.2 thru *.5. I seem to recall you're in the Cleveland area, aren't you? If so, Fox is on 8.1, AntennaTV on 8.2, Comet on 8.3, and Charge! on 8.4 (incidentally, Comet is showing Sleeper tonight at 6pm).

One thing to consider is that sub-channels are broadcast in SD, not HD, probably to reduce bandwidth.

Where sub-channels are in your cable lineup I haven't a clue but when I had cable they were usually in the lowered numbered channels, which were all SD. You can also look for those SD TV networks if you have an onscreen guide.

If you want to know what sub-channels are broadcast in your area, go to On TV Tonight; it should default to the zip code associated with your IP address.

As a last resort, depending on your location and how badly you want those channels, you can buy an antenna and pick up those sub-channels over the air.

Now you turn TBS on at 3:00am in the morning, and they're showing either informercials or Adam Sandler movies. PASS!!!!!!!
    I know what you mean about Sandler, and I agree, but his movie, The Waterboy, is actually really funny.

I was looking through the onscreen TV schedule earlier and saw a movie called "Yo, Robot," which I though was funny until I realized it was just "I, Robot" on the Spanish language channel.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RE: Adam Sandler - He was excellent in Spanglish.