Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #2076
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,170
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The guy in the car with Hickman ended up years later , also as a mob hitman , in a movie , I think Ghost Dog . I don't think I ever saw him in anything but those two.
    I wonder if Dodge and Ford paid a product placement fee to have their cars used in the movie. Nowadays definitely , back then , maybe not. I've driven a Mach I , its fast and jittery to the point of unsafe.
    Mach 1's were too short and too
    light for that power plant. However, the 2+2's were much more stable.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  2. #2077
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Mach 1's were too short and too
    light for that power plant. However, the 2+2's were much more stable.
    Also drove some girls car back when , a mid 70s Cutless with a 442 . Damn thing burned rubber for a half block. That era had raw power but with limited handling abilities. They were literally building rockets back then.

  3. #2078
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Mach 1's were too short and too
    light for that power plant. However, the 2+2's were much more stable.
    Watch the closing credits. If you see a given company named in the "Special thanks" list, or if there's a "provided by..." credit, than that means there was probably some kind of exchange of money. Sometimes, you'll see car companies, manufacturers of sporting goods (including scuba gear), etc listed in the credits, under such circumstances. There was a point in the run of The Partridge Family, where the closing credits namechecked Ovation and Farfisa for supplying the gear that that the kids pretended to play.

    One that I remember was in Flash Gordon, the credits identify Fiat as providing vehicles for the production of the film. I thought, "Wait, where was there a Fiat in that movie?! You mean the van and the car we see for all of 10 seconds at the beginning?". And someone pointed that such a credit doesn't necessarily denote something that's seen on screen. They may have supplied the cars to transport everyone from the hotel to the soundstage each day or whatever.

    There was a Mad Magazine parody back in the 70's, I think of Today's FBI, that began with a note that it was commonplace for TV shows to receive money for making prominent use of a given make of car in the program. This was followed by a suggestion to "See if you can tell which car manufacturer paid to have their cars featured in...TODAY'S FIB" (or whatever the parody was called). ANd then every time I car is mentioned, they very inconspicuously name the make and model, e.g. "On August 13, at 10:45am, a brand new Lake Placid Blue Thunderbird flew into the parking lot of the First National Bank, delivering three gunmen, who proceeded the rob the bank", or something like that. It's like that through the entire parody, every car mentioned has these advertisement or game show style descriptions. I iwsh I still had that one, that was hilarious.

  4. #2079
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,265
    Another 70s movie with good NYC car chase scenes is "Night of the Juggler." Fun fact: my high school karate teacher, who was sort of eccentric, taught Robert DeNiro some karate for this film. He also appears in the film (a sort of skinny black dude).

  5. #2080
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Another 70s movie with good NYC car chase scenes is "Night of the Juggler." Fun fact: my high school karate teacher, who was sort of eccentric, taught Robert DeNiro some karate for this film. He also appears in the film (a sort of skinny black dude).
    Night Of The Juggler is indeed a good movie with an excellent chase. However DeNiro is not in the film. The lead is played by James Brolin . Theres also authentic X porn stars playing sluts.

  6. #2081
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Night Of The Juggler is indeed a good movie with an excellent chase. However DeNiro is not in the film. The lead is played by James Brolin . Theres also authentic X porn stars playing sluts.
    Oooh, porn stars.
    A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist. ~ Sir Humphrey Appleby

  7. #2082
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Night Of The Juggler is indeed a good movie with an excellent chase. However DeNiro is not in the film. The lead is played by James Brolin . Theres also authentic X porn stars playing sluts.

    I need to see this one!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  8. #2083
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,265
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Night Of The Juggler is indeed a good movie with an excellent chase. However DeNiro is not in the film. The lead is played by James Brolin . Theres also authentic X porn stars playing sluts.
    He taught DeNiro for something, and the guy is in Night of the Juggler, anyway.

  9. #2084
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,138
    The Upside - Brian Cransen and Kevin Hart. A remake of a French films from a few years ago. It's based on a true story about an ex-con (Hart) who is hired by a quadriplegic Billionaire (Cransen). There are plenty of very funny scenes but it's also a touching story about the relationship between Brian and Kevin. Really well done.

  10. #2085
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,163
    The Monster

    I like finding hidden stuff on Netflix so I gave this one a whirl. Not half bad! Well, that is if you're into short, simple, creature flicks lol. Mother and daughter (with issues) break down on a wooded road...well, you could probably figure out the rest. It was fairly thrilling, fun lookin' monster (no cgi) and acted well enough to have no probs sittin through the 90 mins.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  11. #2086
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg
    The Upside - Brian Cransen and Kevin Hart. A remake of a French films from a few years ago. It's based on a true story about an ex-con (Hart) who is hired by a quadriplegic Billionaire (Cransen). There are plenty of very funny scenes but it's also a touching story about the relationship between Brian and Kevin. Really well done.
    I saw the French film a couple years ago. It was excellent. Called The Intouchables.

  12. #2087
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,124
    We watched Eighth Grade last night. Very good depiction of the life of a modern eighth grade student in the US. I emphasize modern, because when I was in eighth grade (appx age 14), there were no personal computers, no cell phones, no internet, no youtube, no social media. It's more complicated for the kids now.

  13. #2088
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I emphasize modern, because when I was in eighth grade (appx age 14), there were no personal computers, no cell phones, no internet, no youtube, no social media, no planes, no trains, no cars, etc.
    Corrected for accuracy.
    A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist. ~ Sir Humphrey Appleby

  14. #2089
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Corrected for accuracy.
    The skies were clearer then, back before the contrails began to mess with my brainwaves. I was gonna tell those kids to stay off my lawn, but I don't have one.


  15. #2090
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I need to see this one!
    Anyone know where to source (legitimately, of course) a decent copy of this? Preferably DVD or Blu, but online would probably do.

    Not seen it in years, and its currently not available on Amazon both in Europe and US.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

  16. #2091
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,173
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Anyone know where to source (legitimately, of course) a decent copy of this? Preferably DVD or Blu, but online would probably do.

    Not seen it in years, and its currently not available on Amazon both in Europe and US.
    There is one dvd on Ebay. 10.95 plus 2.99 shipping. Seller says it is in very good condition.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  17. #2092
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Anyone know where to source (legitimately, of course) a decent copy of this? Preferably DVD or Blu, but online would probably do.

    Not seen it in years, and its currently not available on Amazon both in Europe and US.
    If you've got a decent public library, there's good chance they subscribe to a movie streaming service where you can watch it free. I can only think of Hoopla and Kanopy, at the moment, but there are others, I think.
    A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist. ~ Sir Humphrey Appleby

  18. #2093
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,265
    I actually think the car chase sequences around and through Central Park are really the only worthwhile scenes in Night of the Juggler. The girl who plays Brolinís daughter is pretty annoying; not the actressís fault of course but not once does she yell Help! The rest of the movie just isnít so great. My verdict - watch the car chase scenes in low quality on YouTube.

  19. #2094
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,163
    Tag

    Enjoyed the hell out of this one. Great cast of characters and real interesting and ridiculous story based on an actual thing . Good laughs.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  20. #2095
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Tag

    Enjoyed the hell out of this one. Great cast of characters and real interesting and ridiculous story based on an actual thing . Good laughs.
    Is that TAG: The Assassination Game, with Robert Carradine (not yet famous in Revenge Of The Nerds) and Linda Hamilton (not yet famous in Terminator)? I haven't seen that movie in about 35 years, but I seem to recall it was pretty good, very supsenseful.

  21. #2096
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,122
    I assumed that it was this one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  22. #2097
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I assumed that it was this one.
    (Emily Lintilla mode) Oh...never mind.

  23. #2098
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Tag

    Enjoyed the hell out of this one. Great cast of characters and real interesting and ridiculous story based on an actual thing . Good laughs.
    I enjoyed this also. Much better than I thought it would be.

  24. #2099
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually think the car chase sequences around and through Central Park are really the only worthwhile scenes in Night of the Juggler. The girl who plays Brolin’s daughter is pretty annoying; not the actress’s fault of course but not once does she yell Help! The rest of the movie just isn’t so great. My verdict - watch the car chase scenes in low quality on YouTube.

    I disagree , its a watchable movie overall with the very good setpiece mentioned. I would watch the whole thing if possible. Just my opinion.

  25. #2100
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    901
    Ted Bundy Tapes (2019)


    Netflix Four part documentary on 70s serial killer Ted Bundy.

    Exceptional! We binged the whole thing over the weekend.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •