Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #2026
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A Man Called Donkey?
    .
    The older I get, the better I was.

  2. #2027
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    A Man Called Donkey?
    A Man Called Ass
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  3. #2028
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Best Picture

    BlacKkKlansman
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    A Star Is Born
    Vice

    We have seen BlacKkKlansman, Black Panther, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Three out of 8 ain't bad. Most years we have seen none of the nominees when they are announced.
    So far, I saw:

    Blackklansman
    Entertaining, but I forgot about it ten minutes after it was over. 5.5/10

    Black Panther
    Average MU film imo 5/10

    Roma
    Couldn't finish it 3/10
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  4. #2029
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Best Picture

    BlacKkKlansman
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    A Star Is Born
    Vice

    We have seen BlacKkKlansman, Black Panther, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Three out of 8 ain't bad. Most years we have seen none of the nominees when they are announced.
    So far I've seen...

    Bohemian Rhapsody 9/10
    A Star is Born 9/10
    Green Book 9/10
    Roma...0/10, managed to watch it for 15-20 mins (like watching paint dry)
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  5. #2030
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,022
    I want to see Green Book
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  6. #2031
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,130
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Well, we saw "Glass" this afternoon. This was a move I was really looking forward too, but it was a bit of a letdown. Not terrible, but not all that good either.
    This seems to be the consensus, sadly.

    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I want to see Green Book
    Me too. Becoming a huge fan of Mahershala Ali.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  7. #2032
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,509
    I finally got around to seeing I, Tonya and I must say I found it a lot more interesting than I figured I would. Of course that scandle was all over the news being that it came along just as tabloid news shows hit their stride. In fact there's a funny line in the movie where a guy who was a reporter for the tabloid news show Hard Copy, who quipped that shows like his were reviled by the mainstream media, and then the mainstream media became them. As much as Tonya Harding probably was every bit the hick she had been portrayed in the media and in this movie, at least the movie portrays her as a force of nature who overcame major economic, social and personal obstacles willing herself to the top of the American figure skating circuit even though the upper-class elitists there didn't want her. She was set to dominate figure skating for years to come, if only she had a more stable upbringing and didn't surround herself with morons.

  8. #2033
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,811
    A Man Called Ass
    Often gets a double feature with Shaving Ryan's Privates
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  9. #2034
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Often gets a double feature with Shaving Ryan's Privates
    Saw both on a triple billing with Gladheate'er

  10. #2035
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I want to see Green Book
    There is some good music in the film too, I would love to hear the soundtrack.
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  11. #2036
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,655
    Just finished The Seven Ups. I didnít see any decapitation scene. Thereís the scene where Scheiderís Car plows into the back of a truck on the top is sheared off, but Scheider had laid down on his side and was ok.

  12. #2037
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just finished The Seven Ups. I didn’t see any decapitation scene. There’s the scene where Scheider’s Car plows into the back of a truck on the top is sheared off, but Scheider had laid down on his side and was ok.
    No actual decapitation , as stated , "Yes , 7UPs is the decapitating, almost , car under the truck scene. " While filming the stunt the Nova accidently ended up under the truck. It made the final cut anyway and IMO is the scene most remembered from the movie.

  13. #2038
    What was the movie , from the same era as 7UPs , that featured a boat chase in Amsterdam's canals? I think the weird looking blond villain is in the 7UPs and the boat movie.

  14. #2039
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I finally got around to seeing I, Tonya and I must say I found it a lot more interesting than I figured I would. Of course that scandle was all over the news being that it came along just as tabloid news shows hit their stride. In fact there's a funny line in the movie where a guy who was a reporter for the tabloid news show Hard Copy, who quipped that shows like his were reviled by the mainstream media, and then the mainstream media became them. As much as Tonya Harding probably was every bit the hick she had been portrayed in the media and in this movie, at least the movie portrays her as a force of nature who overcame major economic, social and personal obstacles willing herself to the top of the American figure skating circuit even though the upper-class elitists there didn't want her. She was set to dominate figure skating for years to come, if only she had a more stable upbringing and didn't surround herself with morons.
    I remember the Rolling Stone article on the debacle when it happened. They referred to Tonya's "circle", if you want to call it that, as "the garage band of terrorism" or something like that. The whole thing was pathetic. If that hadn't happened, but let's say someone had written a book or a screenplay with that exact same scenario in it, it would never see the light of day, the executives would say "Nobody's going to buy the husband of an ice skater orchestrating an attack on another ice skater". I mean that level of suspension of disbelief only happens in James Bond movies and martial arts flicks.

    The thing that really stinks about that whole deal is, I remember, even at the time, everyone was saying that Tonya Harding was one of the best skaters in the world, that there were only like 3 or 4 people who'd pulled off some of the maneuvers she could do. She actually had a legit shot there, without stupid stunts and whatever. One wonders how could have gone if that whole mess hadn't blown up in her face like it did.

  15. #2040
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    What was the movie , from the same era as 7UPs , that featured a boat chase in Amsterdam's canals? I think the weird looking blond villain is in the 7UPs and the boat movie.
    Wasn't that a James Bond movie? With Roger Moore, iirc. Or maybe I'm just mixing up two boat chase scenes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It's scary as fuck, isn't that enough?

    When I was listening to it 10 minutes ago, I thought it was kinda lame. But now that it's an earworm - thanks, Jed! - I have to admit, it's creepy as fuck. lol
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  16. #2041
    Member since 7/13/2000 Hal...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Buckeye Nation
    Posts
    1,575
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    What was the movie , from the same era as 7UPs , that featured a boat chase in Amsterdam's canals? I think the weird looking blond villain is in the 7UPs and the boat movie.
    I just found this on Wikipedia:

    Puppet on a Chain is a 1971 British thriller film directed by Geoffrey Reeve and starring Sven-Bertil Taube, Barbara Parkins, and Alexander Knox. It is based on the novel Puppet on a Chain by Alistair MacLean.

    The story was Maclean's 14th and the seventh film adaption of a Maclean novel. The film's signature boat chase (8 minutes of screen time) along the canals of Amsterdam reportedly inspired the boat chase in the James Bond movie Live and Let Die two years later...
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

  17. #2042
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    3,811
    Finally watched Game Night. While it had plenty of holes and twists that stretched the incredulity limit, the relentless pace and the cast kept me locked in. Oh, and Rachel McAdams. Hard to believe she's 40.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  18. #2043
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,022
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    What was the movie , from the same era as 7UPs , that featured a boat chase in Amsterdam's canals? I think the weird looking blond villain is in the 7UPs and the boat movie.
    Richard Lynch as Moon
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  19. #2044
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I just found this on Wikipedia:

    Puppet on a Chain is a 1971 British thriller film directed by Geoffrey Reeve and starring Sven-Bertil Taube, Barbara Parkins, and Alexander Knox. It is based on the novel Puppet on a Chain by Alistair MacLean.

    The story was Maclean's 14th and the seventh film adaption of a Maclean novel. The film's signature boat chase (8 minutes of screen time) along the canals of Amsterdam reportedly inspired the boat chase in the James Bond movie Live and Let Die two years later...
    I think I'm mixing up my movies , they're blending together in memory. As Nosebone points out the villain from 7UPs is Richard H . Lynch. Got that from IMBD . And I think the boat movie I was thinking about was indeed Puppet On A Chain , which does not feature Lynch . There was a assassination scene near a desolate factory I had thought was in POAC , but was probably in the 7UPs.
    Lynch was a spooky looking dude , a perfect villain. Im going to have to rent POAC and 7UPs , now Im in the mood for some 70s crime action.

    On Edit ; Nuts , nether available on Netflix .

  20. #2045
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,655
    The Amsterdam boat chase in Puppet on a Chain is great! Great action and great views of the canals.

  21. #2046
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Wasn't that a James Bond movie? With Roger Moore, iirc. Or maybe I'm just mixing up two boat chase scenes.


    When I was listening to it 10 minutes ago, I thought it was kinda lame. But now that it's an earworm - thanks, Jed! - I have to admit, it's creepy as fuck. lol
    Hal, wasn't that, Dr. No? They were dumping fuel tanks, shooting them and they would blow up? But, they were not in the canals but in open water. However, in, From Russia with Love, they were going down the canals but no boat chase.
    Last edited by Staun; 01-23-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  22. #2047
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I finally got around to seeing I, Tonya and I must say I found it a lot more interesting than I figured I would. Of course that scandle was all over the news being that it came along just as tabloid news shows hit their stride. In fact there's a funny line in the movie where a guy who was a reporter for the tabloid news show Hard Copy, who quipped that shows like his were reviled by the mainstream media, and then the mainstream media became them. As much as Tonya Harding probably was every bit the hick she had been portrayed in the media and in this movie, at least the movie portrays her as a force of nature who overcame major economic, social and personal obstacles willing herself to the top of the American figure skating circuit even though the upper-class elitists there didn't want her. She was set to dominate figure skating for years to come, if only she had a more stable upbringing and didn't surround herself with morons.
    This was true. She was top notch but she simply didn't trust herself enough that she would stay on top. So, she tried to have a little insurance.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  23. #2048
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I think I'm mixing up my movies , they're blending together in memory. As Nosebone points out the villain from 7UPs is Richard H . Lynch. Got that from IMBD . And I think the boat movie I was thinking about was indeed Puppet On A Chain , which does not feature Lynch . There was a assassination scene near a desolate factory I had thought was in POAC , but was probably in the 7UPs.
    Lynch was a spooky looking dude , a perfect villain. Im going to have to rent POAC and 7UPs , now Im in the mood for some 70s crime action.

    On Edit ; Nuts , nether available on Netflix .
    Lynch was good in the 7ups. If only he had gone along with the Undertaker, who knows how much money they could have taken in. The wise guys thought the cops were doing all of this
    The older I get, the better I was.

  24. #2049
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,022
    Love The Seven Ups!

    Its kind of like an unofficial sequel to The French Connection (1971).

    Same director, same gritty NYC setting and stars Roy Scheider & Tony Lo Bianco.

    Not to mention the terrific car chase!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  25. #2050
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,276


    ...classic
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •