Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

  1. #2001
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,268
    Last night we watched Juliet, Naked, a good 2018 comedy starring Ethan Hawke, Chris O'Dowd, and Rose Byrne, with excellent performances by all. If you want a synopsis you can look it up. You don't need one. I went in knowing nothing about the movie, and was very pleased with it.

  2. #2002
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,281
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's on Netflix
    Thanks, that explains it. IMDB had 2 films made in the last several years, but the descriptions didn't sound very good, so I didn't think they were it. I'll have to wait a bit, but eventually the Netflix stuff becomes available, I think.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  3. #2003
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    No sir!
    Good! I'm glad I was wrong. I started it and it looks good, but I had to stop to stock up for our upcoming Frankenstorm.

  4. #2004
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Good! I'm glad I was wrong. I started it and it looks good, but I had to stop to stock up for our upcoming Frankenstorm.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  5. #2005
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    9,655
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Let me guess - the "monster" is some kind of manifestation of their relationship? Even if I'm right, I might watch it. I didn't realize The Ritual was a Netflix film - man, they're cranking these things out.
    Uhh, I think I was more or less right. Maybe itíd have been closer to say the monster represented the motherís alcoholism, cigarette addiction, etc. Either that or it was a random, unexplained creature.

  6. #2006
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Uhh, I think I was more or less right. Maybe it’d have been closer to say the monster represented the mother’s alcoholism, cigarette addiction, etc. Either that or it was a random, unexplained creature.
    The latter
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  7. #2007
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,022
    A Man Called Horse (1970)


    A wilderness adventure story starring Richard Harris as an Englishman who's captured by the Sioux Indians in 1825.

    Well done, brilliant score but not for the squeamish.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  8. #2008
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    780
    Yeah, A Man Called Horse is a good one. I'd like it on DVD.

    The Fountain I'd put off watching this one as I'd read about the synopsis and just wasn't ready to tackle it, but watched it last night and found it pretty interesting. Sort of an art film, cerebral, trippy--but I wasn't bored by it. Three storylines weave in and out of each other. It's mostly about life and death.

  9. #2009
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Fountain I'd put off watching this one as I'd read about the synopsis and just wasn't ready to tackle it, but watched it last night and found it pretty interesting. Sort of an art film, cerebral, trippy--but I wasn't bored by it. Three storylines weave in and out of each other. It's mostly about life and death.
    People crying in a snowglobe in space for two hours...I had a hard time with that one
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  10. #2010
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yeah, A Man Called Horse is a good one. I'd like it on DVD.

    The Fountain I'd put off watching this one as I'd read about the synopsis and just wasn't ready to tackle it, but watched it last night and found it pretty interesting. Sort of an art film, cerebral, trippy--but I wasn't bored by it. Three storylines weave in and out of each other. It's mostly about life and death.
    I couldn't figure out if the storylines were a past, present, future thing or what? The pacing was quite slow though... tough to hang with. A strange film indeed.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  11. #2011
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,268
    I really liked The Fountain years ago when I saw it. Now I recall little of it. Time to see it again, I guess.

  12. #2012
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I did watch this last night, and did enjoy it. Klonk would probably like this too.
    Funny...I just sat down to watch this, got my beer and dog all settled and started the flick...only to realize I've seen it I liked it too!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  13. #2013
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    780
    I couldn't figure out if the storylines were a past, present, future thing or what? The pacing was quite slow though... tough to hang with. A strange film indeed.

    I think it was all of them mingled together, and parallel. Basically it's a doctor trying to save his wife's life, and he find some mystical tree bark for eternal life or that's the best I could make of it.

  14. #2014
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,130
    Watched Split this weekend, in preparation for Shyamalan's follow-up, Glass. I was really impressed. Shyamalan is hit-or-miss, but this one is a hit, IMO. It probably helps that I really liked Unbreakable, too. It's interesting to watch that one now, after the slew of super hero films that have come out since, all with a very different tone. James McAvoy is excellent in Split. I'm surprised that he didn't receive any awards.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  15. #2015
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Watched Split this weekend, in preparation for Shyamalan's follow-up, Glass. I was really impressed. Shyamalan is hit-or-miss, but this one is a hit, IMO. It probably helps that I really liked Unbreakable, too. It's interesting to watch that one now, after the slew of super hero films that have come out since, all with a very different tone. James McAvoy is excellent in Split. I'm surprised that he didn't receive any awards.
    We are going to see Glass this afternoon. It is getting mixed reviews, so we'll see......

  16. #2016
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    784
    Watched LAST LAUGH last night. Chevy Chase & Richard Dreyfuss. Has some funny moments. Good for the old farts on PE.
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  17. #2017
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    9,947
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Watched LAST LAUGH last night. Chevy Chase & Richard Dreyfuss. Has some funny moments. Good for the old farts on PE.
    For me, Chevy Chase redeemed himself in Community.

  18. #2018
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Funny...I just sat down to watch this, got my beer and dog all settled and started the flick...only to realize I've seen it I liked it too!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  19. #2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    For me, Chevy Chase redeemed himself in Community.
    Same here. The character of Pierce was just so unrelentingly awful, but somehow endearing at times. True, the writing had a lot to do with that, but major kudos to Chevy as well. He went for it, and portrayed one of those "hate to love" characters beautifully IMO.

  20. #2020
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,587
    Well, we saw "Glass" this afternoon. This was a move I was really looking forward too, but it was a bit of a letdown. Not terrible, but not all that good either.

  21. #2021
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,268
    We watched an excellent 1997 Los Angeles crime thriller that was on TV last night, City Of Industry, starring Harvey Keitel seeking revenge on a man who stole all the shares of the robbery loot and murdered his brother and his friend.

  22. #2022
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,448
    Of all these films up for a best picture Oscar, I've heard and read the most about is, Black Panther. Most of the others I've never even heard of. Geez.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  23. #2023
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    A Man Called Horse (1970)


    A wilderness adventure story starring Richard Harris as an Englishman who's captured by the Sioux Indians in 1825.

    Well done, brilliant score but not for the squeamish.
    The follow up wasn't that great.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  24. #2024
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    The follow up wasn't that great.
    A Man Called Donkey?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  25. #2025
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,268
    Best Picture

    BlacKkKlansman
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    A Star Is Born
    Vice

    We have seen BlacKkKlansman, Black Panther, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Three out of 8 ain't bad. Most years we have seen none of the nominees when they are announced.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •