Page 81 of 394 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131181 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 9837

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Last night we watched Juliet, Naked, a good 2018 comedy starring Ethan Hawke, Chris O'Dowd, and Rose Byrne, with excellent performances by all. If you want a synopsis you can look it up. You don't need one. I went in knowing nothing about the movie, and was very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's on Netflix
    Thanks, that explains it. IMDB had 2 films made in the last several years, but the descriptions didn't sound very good, so I didn't think they were it. I'll have to wait a bit, but eventually the Netflix stuff becomes available, I think.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    No sir!
    Good! I'm glad I was wrong. I started it and it looks good, but I had to stop to stock up for our upcoming Frankenstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Good! I'm glad I was wrong. I started it and it looks good, but I had to stop to stock up for our upcoming Frankenstorm.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Let me guess - the "monster" is some kind of manifestation of their relationship? Even if I'm right, I might watch it. I didn't realize The Ritual was a Netflix film - man, they're cranking these things out.
    Uhh, I think I was more or less right. Maybe it’d have been closer to say the monster represented the mother’s alcoholism, cigarette addiction, etc. Either that or it was a random, unexplained creature.

Uhh, I think I was more or less right. Maybe it’d have been closer to say the monster represented the mother’s alcoholism, cigarette addiction, etc. Either that or it was a random, unexplained creature.
    The latter

A Man Called Horse (1970)

A wilderness adventure story starring Richard Harris as an Englishman who's captured by the Sioux Indians in 1825.

Well done, brilliant score but not for the squeamish.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Yeah, A Man Called Horse is a good one. I'd like it on DVD.

The Fountain I'd put off watching this one as I'd read about the synopsis and just wasn't ready to tackle it, but watched it last night and found it pretty interesting. Sort of an art film, cerebral, trippy--but I wasn't bored by it. Three storylines weave in and out of each other. It's mostly about life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Fountain I'd put off watching this one as I'd read about the synopsis and just wasn't ready to tackle it, but watched it last night and found it pretty interesting. Sort of an art film, cerebral, trippy--but I wasn't bored by it. Three storylines weave in and out of each other. It's mostly about life and death.
    People crying in a snowglobe in space for two hours...I had a hard time with that one
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yeah, A Man Called Horse is a good one. I'd like it on DVD.

I couldn't figure out if the storylines were a past, present, future thing or what? The pacing was quite slow though... tough to hang with. A strange film indeed.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I really liked The Fountain years ago when I saw it. Now I recall little of it. Time to see it again, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I did watch this last night, and did enjoy it. Klonk would probably like this too.
    Funny...I just sat down to watch this, got my beer and dog all settled and started the flick...only to realize I've seen it I liked it too!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I couldn't figure out if the storylines were a past, present, future thing or what? The pacing was quite slow though... tough to hang with. A strange film indeed.

I think it was all of them mingled together, and parallel. Basically it's a doctor trying to save his wife's life, and he find some mystical tree bark for eternal life or that's the best I could make of it.

Watched Split this weekend, in preparation for Shyamalan's follow-up, Glass. I was really impressed. Shyamalan is hit-or-miss, but this one is a hit, IMO. It probably helps that I really liked Unbreakable, too. It's interesting to watch that one now, after the slew of super hero films that have come out since, all with a very different tone. James McAvoy is excellent in Split. I'm surprised that he didn't receive any awards.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Watched Split this weekend, in preparation for Shyamalan's follow-up, Glass. I was really impressed. Shyamalan is hit-or-miss, but this one is a hit, IMO. It probably helps that I really liked Unbreakable, too. It's interesting to watch that one now, after the slew of super hero films that have come out since, all with a very different tone. James McAvoy is excellent in Split. I'm surprised that he didn't receive any awards.
    We are going to see Glass this afternoon. It is getting mixed reviews, so we'll see......

Watched LAST LAUGH last night. Chevy Chase & Richard Dreyfuss. Has some funny moments. Good for the old farts on PE.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Watched LAST LAUGH last night. Chevy Chase & Richard Dreyfuss. Has some funny moments. Good for the old farts on PE.
    For me, Chevy Chase redeemed himself in Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Funny...I just sat down to watch this, got my beer and dog all settled and started the flick...only to realize I've seen it I liked it too!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    For me, Chevy Chase redeemed himself in Community.
    Same here. The character of Pierce was just so unrelentingly awful, but somehow endearing at times. True, the writing had a lot to do with that, but major kudos to Chevy as well. He went for it, and portrayed one of those "hate to love" characters beautifully IMO.

Well, we saw "Glass" this afternoon. This was a move I was really looking forward too, but it was a bit of a letdown. Not terrible, but not all that good either.

We watched an excellent 1997 Los Angeles crime thriller that was on TV last night, City Of Industry, starring Harvey Keitel seeking revenge on a man who stole all the shares of the robbery loot and murdered his brother and his friend.

Of all these films up for a best picture Oscar, I've heard and read the most about is, Black Panther. Most of the others I've never even heard of. Geez.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    A Man Called Horse (1970)

A wilderness adventure story starring Richard Harris as an Englishman who's captured by the Sioux Indians in 1825.

Well done, brilliant score but not for the squeamish.
    The follow up wasn't that great.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    The follow up wasn't that great.
    A Man Called Donkey?

Best Picture

BlacKkKlansman
    Black Panther
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    The Favourite
    Green Book
    Roma
    A Star Is Born
    Vice

We have seen BlacKkKlansman, Black Panther, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Three out of 8 ain't bad. Most years we have seen none of the nominees when they are announced.