Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post

AnyWWYC was playing at the theater where I worked so I got to see it a lot. I saw EveryWWYC years later and I didn't think it was nearly as good. Clyde & Ruth Gordon stole those movies.
    Well, yeah, file that under "no duh!"! Actually, I think Ruth Gordon just about stole every movie she was in. I remember seeing her in quite a few, playing these sort of hell raising senior citizens who most definitely didn't behave like your grandma.

Ruth Gordon... Where's Papa? friggin hilarious movie!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

So did anybody else see The Mule ?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Gosford Park last night, 2001 English Stately Home period piece with an outstanding cast (Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Charles Dance, Clive Owen, Stephen Fry, Alan Bates). Really well done.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched Gosford Park last night, 2001 English Stately Home period piece with an outstanding cast (Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon, Charles Dance, Clive Owen, Stephen Fry, Alan Bates). Really well done.
    Ahhhh, now we're talking my kind of movie. Yes, a brilliant, top-notch cast (don't forget Derek Jacobi, Frank Thornton (we miss you, Captain Peacock!), and Tom Hollander who seems to be in every British film/series I watch) and a terrific combination of murder mystery and Upstairs, Downstairs/Downton Abbey-type class differences.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, yeah, file that under "no duh!"! Actually, I think Ruth Gordon just about stole every movie she was in. I remember seeing her in quite a few, playing these sort of hell raising senior citizens who most definitely didn't behave like your grandma.
    Yes, later in her career. But by then, she'd been around for ages so she was an accomplished actress. Like Jessica Tandy & Hume Cronyn, they enjoyed more success in their later years, I think, when most of their peers were retired (altho Cronyn was also a screenwriter for much of his career). And IIRC, she won the supporting actress Oscar for Rosemary's Baby. Or was it Harold & Maude? She should have won for H&M if she didn't.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

Hereditary

Finally got to this one last night. Slowwwwww buuuurrrrrrrnnnnnn, but I was pretty much glued with the creepy vibe of it all. I didn't find it all that scary...more unsettling and was perfectly fine with where it wound up going. LOVED the soundtrack! Great acting all around. Overall though I thought it was pretty overrated, but I did like it and want to watch again.

7 out of 10 telephone poles
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

7 out of 10 telephone poles
    Ouch! I shouldn't laugh at that, but I did...
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

...you're not alone

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just watched Play Misty for Me. Hmm, I probably would have been better off watching it back in the 70s when it was on HBO all the time. Not bad, but a bit hackneyed for me now. The funniest part was the love scene in the mountain spring. Director's prerogative.

Speaking of Clint...I loved The Gauntlet when I was young, but man I saw that again not too long ago and found the whole armored bus ending incredibly silly

I also really, really liked Firefox when it first came out

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    That reminds me of Gorky Park. Saw it ages ago and read the book. Really good flick.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ouch! I shouldn't laugh at that, but I did...
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Saw a 2017 movie the other night called Bokeh. A couple visiting Iceland awaken one morning to find that all the other people in the world have disappeared without a trace. Electricity still on, cars in the street, no bodies. Some viewers have complained about the movie not explaining where the people went. I think they miss the point of the whole thing. It's not really sci-fi. More a movie about "what would you do?" Those that can't abide an answer-free mystery can still enjoy the fantastic scenery. Filmed and made in Iceland.

We watched The Bird Box on Netflix. Post-apocalyptic stuff isn't my cup of tea and this had plenty of face palms for me. But my wife, who loves this stuff, was fine with it. It definitely was not as well-crafted as A Quiet Place.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Speaking of Clint...I loved The Gauntlet when I was young, but man I saw that again not too long ago and found the whole armored bus ending incredibly silly

Neither of those movies have aged very well.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I agree. But I do still stop if I come across them while flipping through the channels...takes me back

but it spawned a whole generation of dumb as rocks shoot-em-up movies
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We watched The Bird Box on Netflix. Post-apocalyptic stuff isn't my cup of tea and this had plenty of face palms for me. But my wife, who loves this stuff, was fine with it. It definitely was not as well-crafted as A Quiet Place.
    The wife and I watched this over the weekend. Still not sure how I feel about it. I enjoyed it for the most part, but not sure about the ending, and how to interpret it.

The Bird Box = A Blind Place
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Glad that I'm not the only one. I loved the book, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just watched Play Misty for Me. Hmm, I probably would have been better off watching it back in the 70s when it was on HBO all the time. Not bad, but a bit hackneyed for me now. The funniest part was the love scene in the mountain spring. Director's prerogative.
    Well, I confess I haven't seen it in 30+ years. It made a huge impact on me at the time, tho.

Still, any movie with Cannonball Adderley in it is worth a look, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Saw a 2017 movie the other night called Bokeh. A couple visiting Iceland awaken one morning to find that all the other people in the world have disappeared without a trace. Electricity still on, cars in the street, no bodies. Some viewers have complained about the movie not explaining where the people went. I think they miss the point of the whole thing. It's not really sci-fi. More a movie about "what would you do?" Those that can't abide an answer-free mystery can still enjoy the fantastic scenery. Filmed and made in Iceland.
    That's going to the top of my list.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I get that...they seemed cool back in the day, but we mature.

My best example is James Caan in Thief. In the 80s as a young man I thought Caans character was the coolest motherfucker to walk the planet.

But as I got older, I realised the character was an ahole. Great movie and a still a great performance by Caan...but interesting how your perception changes over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The Bird Box = A Blind Place
    Nah, not really. The "monsters" in both movies were completely different, and the results of being heard by them or seeing them were different as well.

TCM had a Laurel & Hardy marathon last night. I only got to watch a few of the titles, due to the limited time I had on the DVR, plus sleepiness. Here's what I saw:

The Music Box: Stan and Ollie deliver a player piano to a house at the top of a very long staircase. I've seen this several times before, in recent years, and it never fails to make me laugh.

Busy Bodies: Stan and Ollie work in a sawmill, which of course leads to disaster in more than a few ways. Best line is when one of the other workers, who gets pissed after Stan tricks him into violating the mill's no smoking policy, promises "I'll see you two during lunch!", like a school bully threatening to beat someone up, as soon as the school bell rings.

Way Out West: the only one of the features I really got to watch, and again I've seen this a number of times. Has a great dance sequence, which several people whose minds work better than mine does have fitted to, let's say more modern music and posted on Youtube, so you have things like Stan and Ollie dancing to the Rolling Stones, or The Dazz Band or Deep Purple or whatever. All you gotta do is match the tempo up, really. Also love the gag with Stan's apparent ability to use his thumb as a cigarette lighter, which completely confounds Ollie, who spends a big chunk of the back half of the picture trying to emulate this stunt.

Tit For Tat: Our boys are running an appliance store, where they incur the wrath of the grocer who runs the store next door to theirs. Apparently, this film is a sequel to another of their short films, so there's a backstory which is briefly alluded to at the beginning. Some great sight gags in this one. Love the bit where Ollie hits on the cash register in front of the grocer, causing the cash drawer to pop out and hit the grocer in the face.

Brats: Stan and Ollie have dual roles in this one. Not only are they playing themselves, but also their own sons, a pair of toddlers the adult Stan and Ollie are babysitting, whilst their wives are out engaged in "target practice" (so the opening intertitle tells us, though what that actually means, we never find out). Lots of classic gags. The havoc they wreak on each other during a pool game is hilarious.

Wish I could have watched more, but as I said, various factors contributed to me not being able to. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Had fun with these ones, anyway.