Page 76 of 397 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I watched and enjoyed The Lobster, back when it was first released on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    High Plains Drifter will always be a favorite just because it has such a dark and haunting vibe...
    WHO ARRRRRRRRRRRE YOU!!!?

love that one! but I love all Eastwood films (though I never watch war movies so I dont know that one)
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

High Plains Drifter is Clint's best western. I don't care what anyone says. It's unlike any of the others. It also has my favorite main theme. It's a pretty spooky film in a certain context. What Clint should have done right after that is direct and star in a film based on DC Comics' Jonah Hex. He would have resembled Jonah with a capital "Hex"!

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Kelly's Heroes is great, but for me the Clint Eastwood movie is The Beguiled.
    Forgot about that one. Agree, it is great.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just watched "Annihilation" from early last year. Am I wrong, or did it blow?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I haven't seen it, but having read the books (The Southern Reach Trilogy) I can't imagine how it could live up to them.

Machete Maidens Unleashed: a really good documentary on the Filipino B-movie industry during the 60's-80's. I didn't realize that Roger Corman was as involved as he was in opening up the Phillipines as a place to make exploitation pictures. They actually talk a bit about two of my favorite pictures from that era, Beyond Atlantis and Up From The Depths (they even show a bit of the best part of Beyond Atlantis, where Leigh Christian seduces Patrick "Son Of The Duke" Wayne u/w).

You certainly are not wrong. If you didn't like it, then it blew. (to you) I saw this in the theater and rather enjoyed it.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

The movie critic who guests on the sports talk show I listen to had it as his favorite movie of the year.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I enjoyed it a lot
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I haven't seen it, but having read the books (The Southern Reach Trilogy) I can't imagine how it could live up to them.
    I haven't seen the film yet, either. But I would like to, even though it sounds like the director didn't have much interest in telling the same story as the book.

I read the first book and it was....okay. I got about halfway through the second book and got tired of waiting for something to happen.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Regarding Eastwood's movies, I distinguish between the ones where he's just an actor, an actor/director, and director only. And, yes, I had to look over his filmography. Man, that dude's made a lot of movies! I guess I've seen just over half, starting with the first of the Dollars Trilogy.

As actor only, The Good, etc is easily my fave. Anyone ever notice that Lee Van Cleef has part of a finger missing? You can see it during the close-up of his hand during the end.

I also have soft spots for Paint Your Wagon and Any Which Way You Can. One I think is underrated is Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

As actor/director my fave is Play Misty For Me but Unforgiven is a close second because, aside from what I think may be his best acting job, I also love the ending. But Misty is his best movie as a director, imo.

Also really liked The Eiger Sanction, Pale Rider (even if it is a re-working of Shane), and Million Dollar Baby.

One I've been meaning to see for a really long time (25 years???) is A Perfect World; it's supposed to be pretty good. Anyone seen it?

For both of my brothers, their favorite is The Outlaw Josey Wales, which strangely, I've never seen. My dad's was Gran Torino.

His crappiest movie has to be Bloodwork.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I always liked Tuco saying, "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."
    Eli Wallach makes that movie. But then, he's a hell of an actor who trained under Lee Strasberg at the Actor's Studio (Strasberg was really a stage actor who only made 7 movies; he's best remembered as Hyman Roth in The Godfather 2; he was also in Going In Style, with George Burns & Art Carney). Wallach was also married to Anne Jackson (who was Danny's doctor in The Shining).

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Re: the Leone/Eastwood trilogy - I love all three, but my favorite remains For a Few Dollars More. The intersection of Eastwood's pure bounty hunter and Col. Mortimer's backstory motivation to get Indio provides a story element which is (IMO) lacking in the other two, complete with a very satisfying conclusion.
    I agree about the ending. And my mom loved that little chime played by Lee Van Cleef's pocket watch, which is very memorable.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Apparently, I thought it was very good but not great. I can't really remember too much of it, but I know there was something about it that bugged me a little.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Jeff Beck: Still On The Run...exactly what it says on the tin: a documentary on one of the best guitarists EVER! I only saw about the first hour, becuase the DVR ran out of space, but also the DVR automatically scheduled to record the next showing, which is on Wednesday, so I'll see the end then. They interview Jimmy Page, Rod Stewart, Ron Wood, Jan Hammer, Jennifer Batten and a few other musicians Jeff's worked with over the years. Clapton is in there too, as is David Gilmour (who says that Jeff was Rick Wright's favorite guitarist, "Much to my chagrin") and Slash. There's also audio of George Martin talking about working on Blow By Blow and Wired.

They kinda skip over a few things, for instance, they completely ignore Flash (somewhat understandably, but I'd kinda would have liked to have heard some talk about that album). But in general, it's a fine film and required viewing for any Jeff fan, I think.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 01-06-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hal, what about Mystic River? I don't think you mentioned it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I thought it was outstanding.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I didn't even remember that Clint was in Mystic River!

What was the movie Clint was in (don't know if he directed or anything else) where he's a presidential bodyguard? I did see Bloodwork and that was pretty bad. Surprisingly, I've never seen Play Misty For Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Regarding Eastwood's movies, I distinguish between the ones where he's just an actor, an actor/director, and director only. And, yes, I had to look over his filmography. Man, that dude's made a lot of movies! I guess I've seen just over half, starting with the first of the Dollars Trilogy.

As actor only, The Good, etc is easily my fave. Anyone ever notice that Lee Van Cleef has part of a finger missing? You can see it during the close-up of his hand during the end.

I also have soft spots for Paint Your Wagon and Any Which Way You Can. One I think is underrated is Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

As actor/director my fave is Play Misty For Me but Unforgiven is a close second because, aside from what I think may be his best acting job, I also love the ending. But Misty is his best movie as a director, imo.

Also really liked The Eiger Sanction, Pale Rider (even if it is a re-working of Shane), and Million Dollar Baby.

One I've been meaning to see for a really long time (25 years???) is A Perfect World; it's supposed to be pretty good. Anyone seen it?

For both of my brothers, their favorite is The Outlaw Josey Wales, which strangely, I've never seen. My dad's was Gran Torino.

Eli Wallach makes that movie. But then, he's a hell of an actor who trained under Lee Strasberg at the Actor's Studio (Strasberg was really a stage actor who only made 7 movies; he's best remembered as Hyman Roth in The Godfather 2; he was also in Going In Style, with George Burns & Art Carney). Wallach was also married to Anne Jackson (who was Danny's doctor in The Shining).

I agree about the ending. And my mom loved that little chime played by Lee Van Cleef's pocket watch, which is very memorable.
    I watched a little of Escape from Alcatraz today. One of my Clint faves.

What was the movie Clint was in (don't know if he directed or anything else) where he's a presidential bodyguard? I did see Bloodwork and that was pretty bad. Surprisingly, I've never seen Play Misty For Me.
    In the Line of Fire. Another one that I like.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

e.
    Totally forgot about "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot". A great guilty pleasure movie. "Paint Your Wagon" was pretty good for a musical and "Any Which Way You Can" was a fun one.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Any Which Way You Can" was a fun one.
    wait... isn't there another called Every Which Way But Loose?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I didn't even remember that Clint was in Mystic River!
    He only directed.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    wait... isn't there another called Every Which Way But Loose?
    Yes there is, with a title song sung by Eddie Rabbit.

Any Which Way You Can was the sequel. I actually don't remember much about either except for Clyde the orangutan (Three words: "Right turn, Clyde!"), Ruth Gordon, and the motorcycle gang. According to Wikipedia, these two pictures were two of Clint's biggest grossing pictures, though he was actually advised against doing Every Which Way But Loose. I guess nobody thought he could do comedy successfully, apparently. Come to think of it, he hasn't done much comedy since then, has he?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    He only directed.
    Ah, got it!

A Perfect World is excellent. Probably IMO , one of Costners best movies. See Outlaw Josey Wales. Also excellent.
    A Clint flic not mentioned , and a favorite , Coogans Bluff. Really like Joe Kidd also.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Hal, what about Mystic River? I don't think you mentioned it.
    I thought it was good but it didn't knock me out at the time. I have been wanting to see it again, tho.

Surprisingly, I've never seen Play Misty For Me.
    Jed, seriously, you need to rectify that. And don't read anything about it beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I watched a little of Escape from Alcatraz today. One of my Clint faves.
    In the Line of Fire. Another one that I like.
    I liked both of those movies. The problem for me with EFA was I saw it with my dad and then after the movie had to listen to him rail about the shower scene.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Any Which Way You Can was the sequel. I actually don't remember much about either except for Clyde the orangutan (Three words: "Right turn, Clyde!"), Ruth Gordon, and the motorcycle gang.
    AnyWWYC was playing at the theater where I worked so I got to see it a lot. I saw EveryWWYC years later and I didn't think it was nearly as good. Clyde & Ruth Gordon stole those movies.

BTW, the orangutan that played Clyde died from a cerebral hemorrhage shortly after filming AWWYC. Why? Because his "trainer" believed in the stick, not the carrot: 'Every which way but abuse' should be motto. Be warned, tho, once you read the details, it will probably really piss you off.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    A Perfect World is excellent. Probably IMO , one of Costners best movies. See Outlaw Josey Wales. Also excellent.
    A Clint flic not mentioned , and a favorite , Coogans Bluff. Really like Joe Kidd also.
    Somehow I just knew APW was really good. Probably because, IIRC, there was a line from a critic on the VHS box that said that Costner was excellent in it. And, yeah, I've been meaning to see Josey Wales for decades. And I've never seen Joe Kidd, either. Clint's made a shit ton of movies.