Page 75 of 397 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For any of you who are fans of The Good The Bad And The Ugly, there is a new documentary on Netflix called Sad Hill Unearthed about a group of people in Italy who decided to unearth / renovate the film set that was used in the famous final cemetery scene of the film.
    Second best western made (after Shane, imo) and my fave Eastwood movie, too. That cemetery scene is iconic! And I love the score as Tuco is running around trying to find the grave.

My brother sent me this video on Facebook:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Second best western made (after Shane, imo) and my fave Eastwood movie, too. That cemetery scene is iconic! And I love the score as Tuco is running around trying to find the grave.
    My favourite Clint Eastwood movies are tied between Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby and to a lesser degree, Madison County. This afternoon, I just watched a documentary on Clint and the accolates from fellow directors (e.g., Spielberg and Scorseses) and actors (Gene Hackman, Meryl Streep, Tim Robins etc) were highly complimentary of Clint's genius in directing and acting.

One Clint Eastwood movie I always liked was Absolute Power. It was a great novel as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    My favourite Clint Eastwood movies are tied between Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby and to a lesser degree, Madison County. This afternoon, I just watched a documentary on Clint and the accolates from fellow directors (e.g., Spielberg and Scorseses) and actors (Gene Hackman, Meryl Streep, Tim Robins etc) were highly complimentary of Clint's genius in directing and acting.
    Where's Unforgiven ?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Where's Unforgiven ?
    Your right - another gem.

Pale Rider
    High Plains Drifter
    Dirty Harry
    Magnum Force

The two Clint movies I return to for repeat viewings are quite different - the great western The Outlaw Josie Wales and the WWII heist Kelly's Heroes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    The two Clint movies I return to for repeat viewings are quite different - the great western The Outlaw Josie Wales and the WWII heist Kelly's Heroes.
    Those are two of the first Eastwood flicks I had to own.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    PHfjk[/video]
    As part of the documentary they interview James Hetfield from Metallica who has used the Good The Bad & The Ugly theme as their intro music for years. They also sometimes use the Tuco running around the cemetery scene as part of their intro as well.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I always liked Tuco saying, "If you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The three leads in TGTB&TU are all perfectly cast.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Good The Bad & The Ugly
    Dirty Harry
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    High Plains Drifter
    Unforgiven

Those are my Blu Rays
    Last edited by nosebone; 01-03-2019 at 08:56 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Dirty Harry
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    High Plains Drifter
    Unforgiven

Those are my Blu Rays
    That looks a lot like my list.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I always liked the scene in Sudden Impact that leads up to "Go ahead, make my day", i.e. the waitress pouring way too much sugar in Calahan's coffee, he realizes something's not right, sneaks back into the diner through the back entrance, etc. I love the way he sort of explains to the punk why he came back. I always dug that scene. That one and the one where Sandra Locke shoots the one scumbag in the crotch.

I also remember liking Magnum Force a lot, too. That's the one with the vigilante cops in it, right? With the pimp who tries the bribe the motorcycle cop, who in turn...uh, redecorates the upholstery of said pimp's Cadillac, right? That was a good picture.

I've only seen the "Man With No Name" trilogy once, about oh, I think it was about 5 or 6 years ago that I saw all three on TCM. Good movies, wouldn't mind seeing them again sometime.

My ringtone.

Anyone else see The Lobster, the dystopian film w/Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz & John C. Reilly among others?

It held my complete rapt attention for two hours, but when it was done, I couldn't decide & still can't whether it's a masterpiece or a piece of shit.

Not many films fall into that category with me.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Dirty Harry
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    High Plains Drifter
    Unforgiven

Those are my Blu Rays
    Those would rank right up there for me too as probably my top 5. Anyone seen "The Mule"? It seems to get mixed reviews, but I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I always liked "Kelly's Heroes" too. Great cast in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Anyone else see The Lobster, the dystopian film w/Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz & John C. Reilly among others?

It held my complete rapt attention for two hours, but when it was done, I couldn't decide & still can't whether it's a masterpiece or a piece of shit.

Not many films fall into that category with me.
    Well, now I'm really confused and intrigued!

And speaking of The Good The Bad & The Ugly, the Hugo Montengro version of the theme was one of the first things I remember hearing when I was little. My mom had this Reader's Digest 8-track set, called Great Hits Of The 50's & The 60's, it was a four tape set, I'm not sure what happened to the first three (actually, I kinda have a vague I do know what happened to them, but I'm not sure if the statute of limitations has run out on that), but the fourth had was a grab bag of music from the mid and late 60's, Supremes, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Bobby Goldsboro, Stevie Wonder, The Association, The Searchers, Horst Jankowski, Ramsey Lewis...and the Hugo Montengro version of The Good The Bad And The Ugly.

PS: Deep into the internet age, it occurred to me to Google the set, and see if I could find out what was the other three tapes. Turns out a lot of it was stuff like Pat Boone, Theresa Brewer, etc, with a good dose of rock n roll, most of which I ended learning from either the American Graffiti soundtrack (e.g. Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, etc) or I quickly learned about thanks to Guitar Player (The Ventures!).

Now, I'm not saying I had to anything to do with what happened to those missing tapes, but I find it curious that even at the age of 2-3, I somehow may or may not have had the presence of mind to dispose of the tapes that had the likes of Pat Boone on it, but left the one with Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, Dusty and Aretha on it, intact (then again, I had to wait til I was teenager to get to know The Ventures, so maybe the joke was on me...or not).

I always liked "Kelly's Heroes" too. Great cast in that one.
    Positive waves Moriarity , positive waves.

Re: the Leone/Eastwood trilogy - I love all three, but my favorite remains For a Few Dollars More. The intersection of Eastwood's pure bounty hunter and Col. Mortimer's backstory motivation to get Indio provides a story element which is (IMO) lacking in the other two, complete with a very satisfying conclusion.

Another favorite (along with many already mentioned) for me is Pale Rider.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Kelly's Heroes is great, but for me the Clint Eastwood movie is The Beguiled.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Those would rank right up there for me too as probably my top 5. Anyone seen "The Mule"? It seems to get mixed reviews, but I am curious.

Saw The Mule last weekend.

Flimsy, too long ,some questionable scenes, but if your a Clint fan you have to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Re: the Leone/Eastwood trilogy - I love all three, but my favorite remains For a Few Dollars More. The intersection of Eastwood's pure bounty hunter and Col. Mortimer's backstory motivation to get Indio provides a story element which is (IMO) lacking in the other two, complete with a very satisfying conclusion.

Another favorite (along with many already mentioned) for me is Pale Rider.
    Is this the one where he wears a metal chest plate to protect his heart? Or is this the one with the musical box? I forget. You can't go wrong with ANY Clint Western. High Plains Drifter will always be a favorite just because it has such a dark and haunting vibe...as does Pale Rider
    Last edited by Klonk; 01-04-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak