Page 74 of 394 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 9833

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You guys have never read the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, right?
    Correct.

Well, in short, according to The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, if you do meet the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, the way you should deal with it is wrap your towel around your head so that it covers your eyes. The Bugblatter Beast is so stupid, it believes if you can't see it, it can't see you either, and will therefore leave you alone.

I've never seen Lifeforce, but I found this just now while looking for a trailer:

<sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You guys have never read the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, right? Or, possibly, you just don't remember the bit about how to avoid being eaten by the ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.
    Aware of its existence, never read it.
    <sig out of order>

Tonight I went in totally the opposite direction from last night's horror film and watched Vatel, a costume drama with occasional comedic flourishes from 2000 that passed me by at the time. Set in 17th century France, it's a fairly typical look at the excesses of royalty compared to the meager lifestyle of the lower class. Good cast: Gérard Depardieu, Uma Thurman, Tim Roth, Julian Glover... I enjoyed it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Here's a trailer for Searching, the first movie in a long time that actually had me on the edge of my seat (there's a longer trailer out there but it gives away too much):

A Simple Favor. It stars Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively. This was my first time seeing Lively in anything. She's very good... and lovely. The movie is tagged as mystery/suspense but there's also a lot of humor in it, too, which lightens the tone of the movie. I really liked it, partly because of Kendrick's performance. She's great in it.

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Train To Busan

Fans of 28 Days Later and World War Z will appreciate this. I loved it...fun, fast zombie thrill ride.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Rupture: a Canadian (I think) picture from 2015, about a woman who is abducted by a shadowy group of people who subject her to experiments with the intent of activating a hidden genetic code in her DNA. Weird picture, but good viewing, I thought.

Our lazy, no-responsibilities New Years Day:

"Chinatown"
    "Room Service"

A walk in the park with the dogs. (It was 83 and sunny)

"Life Of Brian"
    The Gilda Radner doc on CNN.

Do we know how to party or what?

Saw two movies (at home) over the hols:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Suns - It's by Luc Besson, which means it's visually lovely; but it sucks plot ass. The best part is a segment with Ethan Hawke (as an outrageous pimp) and Rihanna (as a shape-changing exotic dancer).

The film of the play of Shrek the Musical - Again, visually impressive as hell; a lot of stagecraft and "black art"; the acting through huge prosthetics and makeup was just amazing; but the songs, alas, are mediocre.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

The Gilda Radner CNN doc ("Love, Gilda") was wonderful, with amazing footage and mostly narrated by Gilda herself (she obviously recorded her thoughts a lot all the way up to, I suspect, when she no longer could at the end). I loved her, and teared up in places.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Watched Hereditary this evening. Thought it was excellent until that WTF ending. Top notch acting from Toni Collette, and an emotionally gripping drama that slowly unfolds into a horror. Very strong on atmosphere.

But then... the last eight minutes or so. WHAT?! Truly awful IMO. A solid 8 or 8.5 out of 10 that gets yanked down to a 6.5 or 7 because of how robbed I felt when the credits started rolling.
    I got to see Hereditary. Almost 100% of my horror mates say best of 2018. Or that film where monsters can hear you but not see you. I got see that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The Gilda Radner CNN doc ("Love, Gilda") was wonderful, with amazing footage and mostly narrated by Gilda herself (she obviously recorded her thoughts a lot all the way up to, I suspect, when she no longer could at the end). I loved her, and teared up in places.
    Caught that last night also!

We really enjoyed it.

FWIW, Gilda & Gene lived in the house two doors down from us in Stamford Ct. WE moved here after Gilda passed , but saw Gene around for many years until he moved on in 2016.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I read once that Gilda was the real reason Paul Shaffer isn't in the Blues Brothers movie. He had played with them on SNL, and was on their album Briefcase Full Of Blues and played live shows with them, but when it came time to make the movie, reputedly, there was some contractual snafu that kept Paul out of the movie. But I read once that he eventually admitted that what really happened was, Gilda (who Paul had a crush on) asked him to produce an album for her (which ended up never getting made or finished, I forget which, but it never came out). John Belushi was apparently incensed by this move by Paul, because he didn't like "sharing" Paul with the other SNL stars.

I'm trying to figure out a way to work an Emily Lintilla allusion to this post, but it's not funny when you deliberately mix things up. So I'll just say, "Never mind!".

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    It was 83 and sunny
    where the heck do *you* live... Hawaii!?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

For any of you who are fans of The Good The Bad And The Ugly, there is a new documentary on Netflix called Sad Hill Unearthed about a group of people in Italy who decided to unearth / renovate the film set that was used in the famous final cemetery scene of the film.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For any of you who are fans of The Good The Bad And The Ugly, there is a new documentary on Netflix called Sad Hill Unearthed about a group of people in Italy who decided to unearth / renovate the film set that was used in the famous final cemetery scene of the film.
    Watched it again last night, love that movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Train To Busan

Fans of 28 Days Later and World War Z will appreciate this. I loved it...fun, fast zombie thrill ride.
    Hey LOUUUU...you see this one yet? Might be something you'd enjoy.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Saw two movies (at home) over the hols:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Suns - It's by Luc Besson, which means it's visually lovely; but it sucks plot ass. The best part is a segment with Ethan Hawke (as an outrageous pimp) and Rihanna (as a shape-changing exotic dancer).

The film of the play of Shrek the Musical - Again, visually impressive as hell; a lot of stagecraft and "black art"; the acting through huge prosthetics and makeup was just amazing; but the songs, alas, are mediocre.
    There's a film of the musical? Is it legit? Is it the stage musical filmed (on the stage)? You just don't see that too often for shows that are still running - maybe Shrek is no longer running?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched it again last night, love that movie.
    Still my favorite Clint Eastwood flick and one of my favorite movies of all time.

I just watched The Little Hours on Netflix. I laughed out loud through most of the movie. It's not for everyone's taste, but if a film with John C. Reilly, Dave Franco, Molly Shannon, Aubrey Plaza, Allison Brie, Nick Offerman & Fred Armisen based on Baccaccio's Decameron, written in the 14th century appeals to you.......

The movie opens up (in the first 2 minutes) with nuns at a convent who can't complete a sentence without using some variation of the word "fuck".

IMHO (YMMV) this is a film where blasphemous incongruity works beautifully. Again, not for everyone, but hilarious for me.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Saw that doc...., amazing!

I had to watch the movie again after the the doc.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Good Day folks...

Steve Geezer - I NEED to see that one you just mentioned. Plaza is my kind of woman

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Hey LOUUUU...you see this one yet? Might be something you'd enjoy.
    Yes sir! I believe I wrote something about this one in the old thread. Insane amount of action!!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There's a film of the musical? Is it legit? Is it the stage musical filmed (on the stage)? You just don't see that too often for shows that are still running - maybe Shrek is no longer running?
    It is legit, and the show is no longer playing in New York or London.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.