Page 67 of 397 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 9912

Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

I second the recommendation for Fido. Fun movie!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I second the recommendation for Fido. Fun movie!
    yes!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The Meg. Thought the trailers looked like fun silly , fun stupid actually. Got what I expected. Lots of CGI, very little buildup before the mayhem begins. There's a lot of mayhem. I mostly enjoyed the show , what I didn't like was in that it was a co-Chinese productin , with an eye to attract the Chinese market , the locales , heavy use of subtitled Chinese , and other similar stuff ,reminded me of what the Matt Damon , Wall movie must have been like. I say ,must have been , as I was turned off by the trailers on that one. Overall The Meg is fun. Statham is over the top , in a good way.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Or access to the internet and google.
    However one came by the knowledge, as long as it was before his question. The Kubrick FAQ has a ton of interesting info - I've read it several times.

For your consideration, for the Oscar season

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Coen Brothers, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs--five shorts set in the western genre--best thing I've seen recently on NF streaming.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Widows - Viola Davis and Liam Nielsen. Women's based story that is an action flick. Lots of twists and turns and lots of interesing action scenes.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 11-24-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Coen Brothers, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs--five shorts set in the western genre--best thing I've seen recently on NF streaming.
    Agreed.

I thought each segment got progressively better, with the second to last being my favorite.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The Blues Accordin' To Lightin' Hopkins: a short film, yes, but it was a good one, made in 1968, featuring the titular bluesman. The film seems to largely let the music do the talking that needs to be done, with a few bits of Lightnin' sort of talking about his philosophy about the blues, or telling the story of the time he got arrested in North Carolina (and was taken before a judge who was moonlighting as a grocery store butcher).

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Don't Look Now is one of my favorite movies. I still remember how shocked I was seeing that final scene with the "little child" in the red raincoat.....

RIP

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Yeah, he made some great films, and more I need to see. RIP

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Saw Crimes Of Grimdelwald (Fantastic Beasts 2) over the weekend. It was fun but I felt I needed a lot more of the characters back stories than the first one, I haven't read the Harry Potter books or seen the movies past the first couple and I was pretty lost on who was who. My daughter tried to explain it afterwards but it didn't seem to help much.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I was disappointed with Fantastic Beasts 2. Loved the first one, tho. As for the characters in FB, there's very little overlap with the HP stories, from what I recall.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I quite enjoyed FB2, but I'm a serious Potterhead. On the other hand, there are serious holes in the plot...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Turning back the clock, I just watched a movie released in 1954 that while I've known about, had never seen, The Country Girl.

The performances by (Princess) Grace Kelly (best actress Oscar) and Bing Crosby (best actor nominee) are 2 of the most memorable in-depth acting jobs I've ever seen. Crosby's performance is absolutely revelatory.

Any other admirers of this film?

I bet it took balls to pitch this back in the early 50s.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched the original Ladykillers last night with Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom & Peter Sellers, sublime farce, excellent stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Watched the original Ladykillers last night with Alec Guinness, Herbert Lom & Peter Sellers, sublime farce, excellent stuff.
    I've always wanted to see it after seeing the Coen Bros remake and being disappointed with it.

Good news! I just checked my library and they have it on DVD! I know what I'm watching tomorrow. Thanks, Ian, for the reminder.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Great picture. A few years ago, TCM, I think it was, ran a bunch of Peter Sellers' pictures, and that was one of the ones they aired. Never seen the sequel (and not sure I want to).

I love a lot of Peter Sellers' work, with The Mouse Who Roared, The Party, and of course, the Pink Panther pictures (well, except for that last one that Blake Edwards threw together after Peter passed away) are probably my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Turning back the clock, I just watched a movie released in 1954 that while I've known about, had never seen, The Country Girl.

The performances by (Princess) Grace Kelly (best actress Oscar) and Bing Crosby (best actor nominee) are 2 of the most memorable in-depth acting jobs I've ever seen. Crosby's performance is absolutely revelatory.

Any other admirers of this film?

I bet it took balls to pitch this back in the early 50s.
    This is the one where Crosby is a drunk and Kelly is the enabling wife? IIRC Jack Klugman is an AA contact. From what I remember it was an engrossing film . Somewhat sad though. Kelly looked very young , Crosby ,old.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Great picture. A few years ago, TCM, I think it was, ran a bunch of Peter Sellers' pictures, and that was one of the ones they aired. Never seen the sequel (and not sure I want to).

I love a lot of Peter Sellers' work, with The Mouse Who Roared, The Party, and of course, the Pink Panther pictures (well, except for that last one that Blake Edwards threw together after Peter passed away) are probably my favorites.
    Watching the Steve Martin remake of the Pink Panther really makes one appreciate Sellers work. The best PP entry IMO was A Shot In THe DArk in which we learned Maria Gambrelli is innocent!
    My favorite old Sellers movie is After The Fox. Sellers is a gleefully bad mastermind crook , a real pisser of a movie.

My favorite Panther movie is the one where Herbert Lom, released from the hospital but with a twitch, spends the movie trying to assassinate Clousseau. I can never remember which one it is though. I guess I tend to think of them as a group.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    This is the one where Crosby is a drunk and Kelly is the enabling wife? IIRC Jack Klugman is an AA contact. From what I remember it was an engrossing film . Somewhat sad though. Kelly looked very young , Crosby ,old.
    Yeah, & William Holden was the man in the middle so to speak. I didn't remember Klugman or even an AA scene at all though, so I looked it up and IMDB doesn't list him, even as uncredited.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

IMO, his best work was in the Kubrick movies, Lolita and Dr Strangelove (especially the former, altho his Dr Strangelove was just brilliant), The Party, and my 2nd favorite Sellers' role as Chance the gardener in Being There.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    My favorite Panther movie is the one where Herbert Lom, released from the hospital but with a twitch, spends the movie trying to assassinate Clousseau. I can never remember which one it is though. I guess I tend to think of them as a group.
    Strikes Again. That's probably my favorite, too. We used to quote lines from that movie when we were kids.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Watching the Steve Martin remake of the Pink Panther really makes one appreciate Sellers work. The best PP entry IMO was A Shot In THe DArk in which we learned Maria Gambrelli is innocent!
    I think all the Pink Panther movies that were made during Sellers lifetime (except for the one that he's not in, of course) were great. My favorites are the last two, The Pink Panther Strikes Again and Revenge Of THe Pink Panther. I love the whole conceit of the entire world thinking Clouseau is dead (with him receiving a somewhat improbable state funeral with full honors), and especially Kato turning Clouseau flat into a "Chinese nookie factory".

My favorite old Sellers movie is After The Fox. Sellers is a gleefully bad mastermind crook , a real pisser of a movie.
    I saw that one first time a couple years ago, another good picture. I think it's being shown by one of the revival theaters near me soon. Should check into that.

My favorite Panther movie is the one where Herbert Lom, released from the hospital but with a twitch, spends the movie trying to assassinate Clousseau (sic).
    You might be talking about The Pink Panther Strikes Again, though Former Chief Inspector Dreyfus isn't release from prison, he escapes. And he actually spends the movie with a crazy plot that goes beyond merely trying to assassinate Clouseau. Dreyfus kidnaps a scientist and forces him to build a "death ray" laser cannon in an old castle in Germany. Dreyfus then uses it destroy the UN building (as a means of proving the power he has) and then threatens more destruction if the world's powers don't get rid of Clouseau. So every country sends out an assassin (one of them played by an uncredited Omar Sharif, btw!), who all hilariously converge on Oktoberfest, where Clouseau believes he'll find clues to where Dreyfus is. As "Henry Kissinger" says in the picture, "My God! It'll be a shooting gallery!". I love the two assassins accidentally killing each other in the lavatory.
    IMO, his best work was in the Kubrick movies, Lolita and Dr Strangelove (especially the former, altho his Dr Strangelove was just brilliant), The Party, and my 2nd favorite Sellers' role as Chance the gardener in Being There.
    Being There was great. I love how everyone misinterprets everything he says, especially, the words "I like to watch". Stupid trivia note: ya know the bit at the beginning where he meets the street gang, during his first trip outside his now former employer's home? One of the gang members is played by a young Oteil Burbridge, who nearly 20 years later, became the Allman Brothers Band's bassist.

The thing about The Party for me is, I saw that movie when I was about 5 or 6 years old, but only remembered two scenes. If you remember the words, "Hey, close the door, man!", you'll know one of the scenes in question. The other is the bit where he's playing with the living room controls and causes the flames to shoot out of the fireplace. I remembered nothing else about that movie, not even that Peter Sellers or Gavin MacLeod were in the picture.

Anyway, so skip ahead about 15 years, and up late one night, watching A&E and The Party comes on. I decide to stay up for it, and I start feeling a little deja vu. Then finally, the scene where he's looking for the lavatory pops up, and he opens the closet door, and I hear that line, and, it's like HOLY SHIT!!!!! THAT'S THE MOVIE I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR, FOR THE LAST 15 FUCKING YEARS!!!!!

Mahogany Frog named a two part track after an exchange between Peter Sellers and Gavin MacLeod in this picture:

Gavin: You're mesuggah!
    Peter: I am not your sugar!

I remember when they played it at ProgDay, whichever band member who was doing the introduction said, "This is named after a line from a movie you've probably never seen", then when he quotes the dialog, I impulsively yell out, "THE PARTY!", and he said, "Yes, get that man a free CD!".