Thread: Movies - Take Two. Action!

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    And the man who voiced your avatar, Douglas Rain, passed away on the 11th.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention him. I've been in mourning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was just thinking about "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex" with Tony Randall as one of the controllers in "the brain".
    There's a lot of funny stuff in that movie but the bit that kills me is the one about sodomy when Gene Wilder falls in love with a ewe:

I don't think I've ever seen anything funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    BTW, does anyone besides me know the real world reason why HAL sings Bicycle Built For Two in 2001: A Space Odyssey?
    I'll give you one guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Anyone ever see Ssss from 1973 where a mad scientist turns his assistant into a snake? I saw it at a drive-in theater.
    I saw it at the drive-in, too! But I was 10 so I liked it. At the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    RE: Penelope Cruz, she's just beautiful...
    Maybe I'm weird but I don't think she's beautiful; attractive, yes. But I'm not really attracted to her for her looks. There's just something about her that gets my motor running. Lucy Liu and Eva Longoria are a couple more like that.

For arachnophobes such as myself, the worst spider movie bar none. Way worse than Arachnophobia.
    Really? Man, I couldn't stop itching for a half-hour after seeing Arachnophobia. So, thanks for the warning.

And of course, that brings to me mind Duel, Steven Spielberg's first picture, which was originally made for TV, but later shown in theaters overseas.
    I saw that on TV at the time. I loved it. Later, of course, the FX looked rather lame to me.
    I love sleeping. It's like being dead without the commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Really? Man, I couldn't stop itching for a half-hour after seeing Arachnophobia. So, thanks for the warning.
    1.jpeg

kingdom-of-the-spiders-special-edition-20100119020911518-000.jpg

Shatner Spider Crawl.jpg

These were all real tarantulas, crawling the whole time. I'm getting the willies all over again.
    Man you guys take awfully seriously a bunch of pampered, spoiled twenty and thirty something year old jocks earning millions of dollars to play a game running up and down a field. Why do you care so much about these guys to the point of arguing with each other. Do you think they care an iota about you?

Bartellb on pro football

The Car, which I didn't like much, about a town being terrorized by a possessed, driverless, Lincoln Continental. James Brolin plays a sheriff who's girlfriend is killed when the Continental leaps through her house, running her down in the process.
    sounds like one of the classic Twilight Zone episodes https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734551/?ref_=ttep_ep4
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

These were all real tarantulas, crawling the whole time. I'm getting the willies all over again.
    I'm not even going to click on those pictures. When I was really little, like 3 or 4, my oldest brother used to torment my sister and me by throwing spiders on us. About a decade ago, I saw an ad in a magazine for some show about weird foods in different parts of the world (probably Andrew Zimmern's show, which I will not watch). The ad had a picture of a spider on a bed of rice. The spider was only a little smaller than the plate. Damn, that was horrid.

And then there was the time one of them skinny bastards with the long legs that are Olympic sprinters somehow ended up on my ex-wife's back. I screamed at her, "he's on your back!" She's doing contortions trying to see where he was. In the meantime, he'd crawled down her back and around to her stomach. When I saw him I yelled, "he's right there!!!" She screamed and managed to knock it to the floor. When I jumped up to step on it, it had already run across the floor and under the entertainment center. I don't know who was more freaked out about it.

I don't know that I'm an actual arachnophobe, tho. I mean, I don't even kill them if I find them in my house because I know they eat other bugs. But there's something so unnatural about the way they walk, the fucking freaky bastards. I really do hate them.

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

I saw Sssss (or whatever) at a Saturday matinee way back when. Might've been a double/triple feature with the Shatner spider film. I only remember the scene where this guy driving looks in his rearview mirror and sees a big, fat snake head. Then the snake bites the guy's head off. Pure camp.

It is nice to see that The Far Side comics still stand the test of time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Agreed about the segment with the Sheep in the Woody Allen movie. Wilder played that beautifully.

It also showed that he could be subtle and understated when he wanted to be..I always felt he lost something when he teamed up with Richard Pryor, and I was never a fan of their movies together.

Pryor was undoubtedly one of the funniest stand ups at the time. But I found when he made movies and was tied down to a script that was not that funny, he mugged and overacted to compensate. Superman 3 was probably the worst example.

And I think that mugging and face pulling infected Wilder during their collaborations.

And then there was the time one of them skinny bastards with the long legs that are Olympic sprinters somehow ended up on my ex-wife's back. I screamed at her, "he's on your back!" She's doing contortions trying to see where he was. In the meantime, he'd crawled down her back and around to her stomach. When I saw him I yelled, "he's right there!!!" She screamed and managed to knock it to the floor. When I jumped up to step on it, it had already run across the floor and under the entertainment center. I don't know who was more freaked out about it.
    Probably the spider.
    I don't know that I'm an actual arachnophobe, tho. I mean, I don't even kill them if I find them in my house because I know they eat other bugs. But there's something so unnatural about the way they walk, the fucking freaky bastards. I really do hate them.
    That's probably why one of the memorable scenes in John Carpenter's version of The Thing is the bit where, after they've discovered the creature masquerading as one of the humans, they hit with the flame throwers, but the head dis-attaches from the body, and hides under a cabinet, and grows legs, so that it effectively becomes a giant spider. Trippy.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 11-16-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

Pryor was undoubtedly one of the funniest stand ups at the time. But I found when he made movies and was tied down to a script that was not that funny, he mugged and overacted to compensate. Superman 3 was probably the worst example.
    I actually like Superman 3, but i understand why most people don't (apparently including Christopher Reeve), and I think it's the very reason why I like it: it's the one Superman movie that didn't take itself so damn seriously. I love the look on Richard Pryor's face when he gets the paycheck after he's moved all the half a cent's from all the other pay accounts into his. The scene where he goes to Smallville and gets Lana Lang's husband drunk, then has to figure out how to insert both keys for the computer in at the same time (the only way to activate the computer system) is pretty good too.

But yeah, in general, a lot of the movies he did in the 80's weren't as good as his classic stuff from the 70's. Once again, I liked The Toy, but a lot of those pictures, like Brewster's Millions and that third movie that he and Wilder did together (the one where one of them is supposed to be blind, and the other is supposed to be deaf and they're being chased by mobsters because they "witnessed" a hit) weren't too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Agreed about the segment with the Sheep in the Woody Allen movie. Wilder played that beautifully.
    Yes he did, but it was the sheep in the garter and fishnet stockings that is so funny to me. That might be my pick for greatest sight gag.

That's probably why one of the memorable scenes in John Carpenter's version of The Thing is the bit where, after they've discovered the creature masquerading as one of the humans, they hit with the flame throwers, but the head dis-attaches from the body, and hides under a cabinet, and grows legs, so that it effectively becomes a giant spider. Trippy.
    My favorite line from that movie comes from that scene when they turn around and watch it crawling away and David Clennon (as Palmer) says, "you got to be fucking kidding."

My favorite line from that movie comes from that scene when they turn around and watch it crawling away and David Clennon (as Palmer) says, "you got to be fucking kidding."
    Yeah, that is a great moment. I'm gonna have to get that DVD out and watch it again, when I have some more free time.

Just got home from seeing Heavy Metal in a theater, for the very first time (I waited 37 years for tonight). The sound was too loud, in my opinion, or just too loud for someone who didn't have the foresight to bring earplugs, and they seemed to have difficulty trying to fit the image onto the film screen. But i still had a good time. It was advertised as a 35mm print, but it looked like an old, with lots of scratches in it. But what do you want for a free screening sponsored by a comic book store?!

Yes he did, but it was the sheep in the garter and fishnet stockings that is so funny to me. That might be my pick for greatest sight gag.

Yeah...but I also love the other line when their boss is still tied to the chair after the blood test is over...

" I know you men have been through a lot.. but when you find the time...I would rather not spend the rest of this expedition TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!"

Then, of course, there's the original The Thing (from Outer Space):

"An intellectual carrot? The mind boggles!"
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

Just saw the new Fantastic Beasts in a Dolby Theatre. Fun. I think I was more blown away by the theatre itself, though......after the reclining chairs, not sure I can go back to a regular theatre.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Then, of course, there's the original The Thing (from Outer Space):

"An intellectual carrot? The mind boggles!"
    Trivia: the monster in that one was played by James Arness, before he became famous as Marshall Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke.

(and for some reason, that reminds of the episode of All In The Family when Mike ate the last piece of pie, which Gloria gave him. Archie says, "I had that scheduled for Gunsmoke!", and Mike then offers it back to him, after he's already eaten half of it)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I make an effort to regularly go to a theater with reclining seats. Love them. The clerk told me people routinely fall asleep in the comfy chairs.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Watched the epic Bertolucci film Novocento (a.k.a. 1900) in all its five and a quarter hours of indulgence... I'd only seen it once before, about twenty years ago when I recorded it from TV. It certainly has its moments of beauty and I think every film buff needs to see it at least once. But it is flawed in many ways too, and that's a pretty challenging length - even by today's standards where people binge-watch five episodes of TV in a night. It will be a long time before I'm tempted to watch it again (if ever) - whereas a film like Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet - itself a mighty length at just over four hours - I've rewatched a few times over the last twenty years (but then, I've long fawned over that one.)
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    It was called Bug. It came out in '75. I saw it in the theater. I remember the cockroaches would spell out words on a wall.
    Not only did I see that (though on TV, not in a theater), I read the book it was based on - The Hephaestus Plague.

I've seen all these junky movies! Remember this one - I think it was called Ants!, about a hotel that's overrun by a ton of ants, and the people there have to put straws in their mouths so they can breath when the ants swarm all over them?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    <<BTW, does anyone besides me know the real world reason why HAL sings Bicycle Built For Two in 2001: A Space Odyssey?>>

I think everyone who read that book about the making of 2001, or the Kubrick FAQ, knows that.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    <<BTW, does anyone besides me know the real world reason why HAL sings Bicycle Built For Two in 2001: A Space Odyssey?>>

I think everyone who read that book about the making of 2001, or the Kubrick FAQ, knows that.
    Or access to the internet and google.
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Or access to the internet and google.
    Never heard of them.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Delerium

Recently caught this on Netflix.
    Thomas has spent the past 20 years in a psychological institution. Both his parents are dead, and his brother is in jail.
    He gets a 30 day parole in which he is confined to his wealthy fathers' home. Ankle monitor, no visitors, no leaving.
    Random checks by parole officer,etc. He gets his freedom if he abides by the rules for these 30 days and shows he is
    ready to be out on his own. He starts seeing things in the house, Is it his mind, or is it reality?
    A bit of a slow starter but then intensifies nicely. Recommended!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Two recent viewings:

Fido - 2006 Canadian comedy-drama-horror film about a time when people keep zombies as servants/pets. The zombies are controlled by collars that prevent them eating their owners. Scottish funnyman/actor Billy Connolly plays the title zombie in a great wordless performance.

The Promise - a love story that takes place during the Armenian Genocide, to call attention to the horror experienced by regular people during this atrocity.

I recommend both movies.